3,298 miles, 10 breweries, and 1 Mega Meet - a July '16 Trip Report *New 6/5/17 - Link to new TR!*

So many updates I've missed! I love this park-- not like I love MK, but it's just so comfortable and homey. We love to hit Tusker right around 10-- best of both worlds, breakfast AND lunch! I love that ham and sauce....and #imwithemma #teamkrispykremedoughnutholes! Your safari looks great-- I think the safari ruined zoos for me--what? Walls and enclosures? Pshaw! Can't wait to see the rhino story!

We have never ridden Kali-- we tend to go when it's cooler, and it just seems too wet! We tried Grizzly River Rapids at DL this fall--WET!! I'm very eager to check out the changes at AK in a couple of weeks--we have not been since 2015. I, too, had a silly dream that PANDORA (hahahaha) would be open for our Jan 2017 trip. The fact that even ROL is still not a reality... Well, I guess that's how they keep us coming back!

We need to try the "Tusker House at the end of Breakfast/beginning of Lunch thing" one trip - but we keep going for the pre-park opening ADRs so far. I would like to try the breakfast at Sanaa some day so maybe we mix it up next trip

We usually get a ride in on Kali no matter when we go - guess it is the "northerner blood" in us. I will say I like Grizzly river Rapids better -but Olivia really loves both so it is a "must do" for us

Maybe you will get lucky an ROL will have a surprise opening or soft opening when you go - but yea, considering I was fairly confident we would get to go in july when I first starting planning our trip the fact it isn't open yet is kinda crazy!

Great family photo with Everest in the background!

EE is just so much fun. I was so nervous to ride it when I was younger. Now it's one of my favorites and it looks like your daughter loves it too!

I have yet to eat anything from the Harambe Market, I walked through there to check it out but nothing caught my eye. Glad you thought the food was good. I might actually get something in January.

Thanks! I love that photo spot ... there is a good spot on the bridge heading towards the Nemo theater as well

First time on EE can definitely be a bit nerve wracking as you just don't know what is coming. I think that helped Olivia a bit too - having done it before and knowing what was coming

I like the idea of the Harambe market and the food was pretty good - definitely some different options. It wasn't amazing or anything but a good alternative I think

Tusker House is my favorite character buffet. I just love the variety from the usual buffet food. We always book our adr around 11:00-11:30ish, so our first plate is breakfast and the second has the lunch options. I can understand wanting to get in early, though.

The safari and EE are a great way to start a day at AK! Olivia's turning into quite the daredevil!

Can't beat getting an adult beverage on a hot day at a Disney Park! Judi's looked great. Both of them!

Your lunches at Harambe Market looked good Didn't that open about a year ago? I don't think I've read a review of it on any other trip report. Or just the ones I read!

We really love Tusker House - and I love that they have the different style food but some more typical options as well - I really think everyone can find something there to eat. We do need to try going at the end of Breakfast time one of these trips to get to try the lunch food as well!

Olivia can be brave about a lot of things and she loves rollercoasters, etc. - but she doesn't like crreepy things ... so she will never do ToT for example but that is due to the ghosts more than the drop

I think it was about a year ago that the Harambe market opened. I agree that you don't see many reviews of it. We thought it was a good option - if not a "must do"

I love that photo spot. Was dissapointed that we never encountered a PP when we were there in November!

I'm glad Olivia enjoyed EE! I love how she is grasping onto you in your ride photo :rotfl:

Glad you were able to try out the new market!

Definitely a bummer not to have the PP photographers out there - getting those photos is a big selling point to pre-park opening ADRS!

Olivia definitely enjoyed EE the more she rode it - that first time she was a little nervous at times. But by the end was screaming "This is so fun!"

We are too! It's something different and I like the concept

the parking lot and invited us to see our first attraction/animal - the Cranes!

At least the parking attendant had a sense of humor. That has to be a rough job in the summertime.

Peter was still a but grumpy at this time

Despite the grumpy Peter, that picture turned out really well!

they stamped our receipt with "ROL" to use as our pass for the dining package seating for the show. Come on Disney, you can't even afford $3 for a "JB" stamp?

I don't think Disney was very invested in the Jungle Cruise. Seems like they've been a little embarrassed by the delayed Rivers of Light fiasco.

Peter does love hard-boiled eggs so he was excited they had those.

That's a favorite of Landon's too. Must be a boy thing. When we were in London, he thought the coolest part of the hotel was the hard boiled eggs that came with our free breakfast.

Ah, nothing better than seeing your kids hug each other at Walt Disney World - and people wonder why we keep coming back!

Aw, that's a great moment.

don't worry, will include a picture of a giraffe as is required by Disney law

It's a requirement!

I look a bit board and Judi of course takes the best ride photo of all of us

Love her expression. She looks like she's loving Everest!

Overall I think we liked Harambe market as a good option for lunch while in Animal Kingdom - some different choices and the portions were good for the price.

Those portions do look really big for 9.99. Seemed like there was more food than when you order the standard burger and fries.
The food sounded really interesting and a nice change from the normal. Sorry it lacked a little in flavor, though. I feel like, sometimes, Disney plays it safe when it comes to spices. They don't want to risk someone getting something "too" spicy and complaining.

At least the parking attendant had a sense of humor. That has to be a rough job in the summertime.
Despite the grumpy Peter, that picture turned out really well!

I don't think Disney was very invested in the Jungle Cruise. Seems like they've been a little embarrassed by the delayed Rivers of Light fiasco.

That's a favorite of Landon's too. Must be a boy thing. When we were in London, he thought the coolest part of the hotel was the hard boiled eggs that came with our free breakfast.

Aw, that's a great moment.

It's a requirement!

Love her expression. She looks like she's loving Everest!

Those portions do look really big for 9.99. Seemed like there was more food than when you order the standard burger and fries.
The food sounded really interesting and a nice change from the normal. Sorry it lacked a little in flavor, though. I feel like, sometimes, Disney plays it safe when it comes to spices. They don't want to risk someone getting something "too" spicy and complaining.

Definitely had to be a tough job. I think what took my by surprise was the attendant that said it seemed like a mild mannered lady

Thank you! Definitely tough to get pictures with all three kids in a good mood at the same time

I agree with you about Rivers of Light - I think it just seemed so blatant to use the "ROL" stamp though - figured they could use a "smiley face" or something. It's coming up later but I have to say we liked the Jungle Book show - but do expect more from Rivers of Light - when it opens in 2028 ;)

haha that's funny about the hard boiled eggs ... hey, if it gets them to eat!

Olivia definitely loved Everest - it was just a great moment to hear her yell "THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!!" on it

I agree about the food - that at most locations at least they err on the side of being more mild. Made me wish even mor ethey had some unique options for sauces on the side that could have added more flavor

Part 51: At Disney - Day 5: Animal Kingdom
Checking out the Nomad Lounge

After a nice break back at the resort - really just rested up at this time - I think most of us napped a bit at least - we headed back about, arriving about 5:30. We were excited about them opening Tiffins but for this trip we just didn't fit it in from a time or budget standpoint - but we thought we could check out the lounge there and explore the location a bit - so that is where we headed.

The restaurant is located right near where the entrance to Pandora will be - so we took a few pictures ... I did like the "advertisements" they had on the construction walls. I am definitely excited to check this land out!

00_Pandora.jpg
01_Pandora.jpg

There was no issue getting a seat - actually it was super empty, only one other table had people at it besides us. Not sure if people don't know about the lounge or with the restaurant being a bit out of the way until Pandora opens or what - but it was empty the entire time we were there. This is the view from where we were sat - the details in the place area amazing and everything has a story behind it which is cool

01_01_Lounge.jpg

We of course started out with some drinks. The drink menu is really detailed with back stories for a lot of the drinks and really cool artwork. This is just one page from the drink menu and the back page which had "about the Nomad Lounge" and then the simple listing of drinks they also had:

02_Drink%20menu.jpg
08_About%20Nomad%20Lounge.jpg
09_drink%20menu.jpg

Olivia got one of the special non-alcoholic drinks which was a Watermelon based one (called the Kiama Mamma) - she liked it but maybe wasn't crazy about it (i think our kids are pretty tame when it comes to flavors in their drinks as at home we really just have water or milk). Peter and Emma split a flavored ice tea. I got the Kungaloosh Spiced Excursion Ale - which I was super excited for but fearful it would be too much spice and not enough beer but I loved it! Definitely a great option. Judi got the Spice Trader Classic (Hayman’s Old Tom Gin, Dolin Vermouth Blanc, Lemon Juice, and Strawberries topped with Soda Water .... I think, should have taken notes) - which she liked but not as much as she hoped.

03_Olivias%20drink.jpg
04_Phils%20beer.jpg
05_judis%20drink.jpg

In preparing for this visit in reading reviews, etc I was hearing different things as far as if you can get the regular Tiffin's menu in the lounge. At least for us we were only able to get food from the Nomad Lounge menu - though we were also able to order for the kids from the Tiffin's kids menu.

06_menu.jpg
07_Kids%20menu.jpg

For the kids we ordered just some of the appetizers - the Black-eyed Pea Fritters and the soup of the day which was a tomato soup (Peter especially loves soup). The soup was really good. The fritters were ok, a little bland.

10_Kids%20pea%20fritter.jpg
11_Kids%20tomato%20soup.jpg

From the main menu we ordered the Fish Balls, the Cheese Plate, and the bread service. We love eating like this with just food to sample, etc. I liked the fish balls - but they needed the spice from the peppers ... but then if you got too big of a piece of pepper the spice overpowered the fish, so was hard to get that right bite. Judi really liked the cheese plate, and we all liked the bread service (though not as much as the one at Sanaa)

14_fish%20balls.jpg
13_Cheese.jpg
12_bread%20service.jpg

Judi then switched it up and got the Annapurna Zing (Bombay Sapphire East Gin, passion fruit puree, mint, simple syrup, and lime juice, topped with ginger beer) for her second drink. She was a bit worried about the mint (she is not a fan of mint and that prevented her from ordering this for her first - but told her I would help her out if she didn't like it) - but it wasn't that minty and she really liked it

15_drink.jpg

Overall we really liked the Nomad Lounge - loved the idea, the attention to details, and the food overall (some things were a little bland). It was a bit "off" with how empty it was so kinda felt like any time we had to tell the kids to sit or whatever the noise carried. I did also want to mention that the staff there was great - one time Emma fell and bumped her head and they were great about getting ice for her and stuff and just ensuring she was ok, etc. - showed a lot of genuine concern. And not just our server but the manager as well.

On the way out I checked out the outside patio area and got a photo of the dragon waterfall which is one of the last signs of the never built Mythical Beasts area - glad that they kept it

16_dragon%20waterfall.jpg

Coming up - some Festival of the Lion King action!

Part 52: At Disney - Day 5: Animal Kingdom
A Lion King Festival

We finished up at the Nomad Lounge at about 6:40 and headed to the (new to us) theater for the 7pm Festival of the Lion King show. While I had seen the show when at Hong Kong Disneyland, it had been several years since the family had seen this (and the one in Hong Kong is different anyway) so we were pretty excited to fit it in. We waited in line for a few minutes - and I love the details like the sign for the Children's Arts Festival.

01_FOTLK%20sign.jpg

02_Waiting%20in%20line.jpg
03_Youth%20arts%20festival%20sign.jpg

While we were towards the back we still had a good view as I think any seat is good in this theater. Definitely a fun show with lots of different elements. Love the floats ...

04_Giraffe%20float.jpg
05_Simba%20float.jpg

FOTLK%20Pumba%20Float.gif

.... and the fire dancer ...

06_Fire%20dancer.jpg

FOTLK%20Fire%20dancer.gif

... and the "Can you feel the love tonight" bird dancer!

07_bird.jpg

And of course the ending which is a ton of fun. I love that they have kids from the crowd join in the parade

08_Group.jpg

FOTLK%20Ending%201.gif
FOTLK%20Ending%202.gif

We definitely all enjoyed the show - definitely a wonderful production!

After the show Olivia took Olivia to the bathroom and to change Emma and I stopped with Peter at the Dawa bar and got a Sugar Cane Mohito for Judi and I to split and some water for the kids - still was pretty hot despite getting towards evening.

09_Drink%20menu.jpg
10_Sugar%20Cane%20Mojito.jpg

Definitely having a good day so far - but coming up is our first even night at Animal Kingdom!

TTFN

I just caught up! I feel like it's been a long time since I have been able to comment.

One piece of evidence that this truly was viewed as a temporary show is that they stamped our receipt with "ROL" to use as our pass for the dining package seating for the show. Come on Disney, you can't even afford $3 for a "JB" stamp? #ThanksShanghai

That is too funny. Sad but funny.

Judi thought her chicken was good - but not the best she has ever had (could have used a bit more flavor).

I had the same the last time we were there, and thought the same thing. But probably good form someone who has never had Tikka before or doesn't like spicy. But folks who have had Tikka or likes Spicy food. It def is a little disappointing. I loved that area!

Great update! I love reading about places I haven't had a chance to explore yet! Can't wait to hear about AK at night. Hoping we get to experience a bit of that this spring!

The Nomad Lounge sounds great. Both Tiffins and the Lounge haven't been very busy and I think that's because it's kind of off the path and hidden. Once Pandora opens that will change though. I need to try those places out as I've heard very good things.

Festival of the Lion King is a must do, I never miss that show. Can't wait to hear about your nighttime experiences.

I just caught up! I feel like it's been a long time since I have been able to comment.

That is too funny. Sad but funny.

I had the same the last time we were there, and thought the same thing. But probably good form someone who has never had Tikka before or doesn't like spicy. But folks who have had Tikka or likes Spicy food. It def is a little disappointing. I loved that area!

Thanks for Catching Up! Side note, but based on your user name my condolences on Carrie Fisher's passing. Definitely the toughest, snarkiest, coolest princess of all!

We definitely loved the area and the concept of the Harambee Market - but yeah, a bit more flavor would have been nice. I get that they need to tone things down for people that don't like spice but definitely think that if they added some unique sauce options - some of which had spice to them - it would be good.

Great update! I love reading about places I haven't had a chance to explore yet! Can't wait to hear about AK at night. Hoping we get to experience a bit of that this spring!

Thanks! AK at night is coming up in the next update(s) but I can tell you that we were fans of it. It just has a great vibe with the different street performers and the dance parties and stuff ... really a cool place to just walk around at night and then getting to do some of the attractions at night was really cool!

The Nomad Lounge sounds great. Both Tiffins and the Lounge haven't been very busy and I think that's because it's kind of off the path and hidden. Once Pandora opens that will change though. I need to try those places out as I've heard very good things.

Festival of the Lion King is a must do, I never miss that show. Can't wait to hear about your nighttime experiences.

I agree that Tiffins/Nomad Lounge being off the main path hurts it - and it is down that side path pretty far so you really can't even see it at all. They have a CM with a stand at the main path trying to draw people in, but unless you know about it I can't see it getting a lot of foot traffic. Definitely would like to try the main dining room some day

There are a lot of good shows at WDW but FOTLK might be the best - and I think the one with the most repeatability

That drink menu at Nomad Lounge looks so cool ... I would probably spend all my time reading it and forget to order a drink.

Festival of the Lion King really is such an amazing show. Although the fire dancer does freak me out a bit ... mostly because I'm not a big fan of fire.

I am definitely excited to check this land out!
I'm excited for this too, and I think the reality is goiung to be even greater than what I have imagined, at least pics I have seen keep getting me more excited about it. I do find it funny how as time as passed the group sentiment here on the Dis has changed from "Avatar?!!? What is Disney thinking" to "I have never seen Avatar and I can't wait for this to open"

the details in the place area amazing and everything has a story behind it which is cool
This is one of my favorite things about WDW, the attention to detail. That and how the CM's always seem to go above and beyond to sprinkle the pixie dust.

got a photo of the dragon waterfall which is one of the last signs of the never built Mythical Beasts area
Never knew about this feature, going to have to try and find it

Festival of the Lion King show
The wife and I saw this once a few years ago. While shows and parades are fine for time killers, I've never felt the need to stand in line or waste a FP on them. That being said this one was a pretty good show. Additionally, now that we have a lil guy who drops everything and goes into zombie mode, whenever the theme music for the Lion Guard comes on, I'm sure we will be watching this show many times over the course of the next decade.

Thanks for the update, love all the pics and gifs. I've thought about trying to do a TR sometime, but it seems like a huge commitment of time, and I feel like I don't have the technical prowess to pull it of in an entertaining way. How long does it take you to do an update?

Glad you enjoyed the Nomad Lounge and FotLK! I agree, any seat in the theater is a good one, and the finale is so fun!

I'm glad you got to try out Nomad Lounge. Is Tiffins getting good reviews? I haven't read too much about it.

FOTLK is so great! I always feel like I'm at a Broadway show and that alone is worth the price of admission.

I hope you, Judi and the kids had a good Christmas and have a happy new year!

That drink menu at Nomad Lounge looks so cool ... I would probably spend all my time reading it and forget to order a drink.

Festival of the Lion King really is such an amazing show. Although the fire dancer does freak me out a bit ... mostly because I'm not a big fan of fire.

Well, if we weren't trying to keep 3 kids under reasonable control I am sure we would have read a lot more of the drink menu :rotfl:

I can see the fire dance freaking you out. I enjoy them but yeah, especially when they press the fire to their hand, feet, or mouth I get a bit freaked out. The show overall is amazing though, agreed!

I'm excited for this too, and I think the reality is goiung to be even greater than what I have imagined, at least pics I have seen keep getting me more excited about it. I do find it funny how as time as passed the group sentiment here on the Dis has changed from "Avatar?!!? What is Disney thinking" to "I have never seen Avatar and I can't wait for this to open"

This is one of my favorite things about WDW, the attention to detail. That and how the CM's always seem to go above and beyond to sprinkle the pixie dust.

Never knew about this feature, going to have to try and find it

The wife and I saw this once a few years ago. While shows and parades are fine for time killers, I've never felt the need to stand in line or waste a FP on them. That being said this one was a pretty good show. Additionally, now that we have a lil guy who drops everything and goes into zombie mode, whenever the theme music for the Lion Guard comes on, I'm sure we will be watching this show many times over the course of the next decade.

Thanks for the update, love all the pics and gifs. I've thought about trying to do a TR sometime, but it seems like a huge commitment of time, and I feel like I don't have the technical prowess to pull it of in an entertaining way. How long does it take you to do an update?

I agree - as details come out people are willing to look past the "avatar" part I also think Disney was smart to push it as "Pandora" and not "Avatar Land"

Fully agree about the details - and that dragon waterfall can be seen from the outside deck of the Nomad Lounge

Similar thing happened to us after having kids - we really didn't watch many shows or parades but now we do - we find we are almost forced to "slow down" a bit with kids ... but it has been for the best as we have found we generally enjoy them!

Each time I update the TR I usually do 2-4 updates worth. I would say it takes me 1-2 hours to get through the pictures and edit them/format them/upload them and then another hour or so do do the actual updates, maybe a bit more. And then if there are any animated gifs probably another 1/2 hour or so. So probably 2-4 hours per update depending on how big of an update it is. But I spread out the time a bit. It definitely takes some times but I do this (and a trip video) instead of a scrap book - so this is how we remember the trip. Best of luck if you start - they can be addicting!

Glad you enjoyed the Nomad Lounge and FotLK! I agree, any seat in the theater is a good one, and the finale is so fun!

While not a "tiny" theater it isn't huge and set up so really any seat is a good one and there is something to see from every angle. Agree about the finale!

I'm glad you got to try out Nomad Lounge. Is Tiffins getting good reviews? I haven't read too much about it.

FOTLK is so great! I always feel like I'm at a Broadway show and that alone is worth the price of admission.

I hope you, Judi and the kids had a good Christmas and have a happy new year!

We haven't eaten at the main Tiffins dining room but I am hearing very good things about the food - very high end. I think some people are finding it a bit pricey - but that it isn't they are ripping you off/overpricing it, it is just a high end dining location. Definitely want to try it some day. I know the DISUnplugged team did a review there - Pete and Oliver ate there and both loved it and Pete isn't afraid to tell you his opinion if he doesn't think something is worth the price

Fully agree that FOTLK feels like a mini-broadway show - very high quality

We did have a nice Christmas - lots of Legos (we got the Disney castle for the family to do together). Hope you have a nice new year as well and a great 2017

Happy 2017.jpg

Part 53: At Disney - Day 5: Animal Kingdom
Sunset Safari

After watching Festival of the Lion King and recharging with some Mojito, we headed towards the Kilamanjaro Safari's to use our fastpass to get to experience the new Sunset Safari - I had heard the best time to do this was right around actual sunset so I scheduled the FP+ to be around this time.

01_Safari%20Entrance.jpg
02_Safari%20warning%20sign.jpg

I must say, starting out, I was not getting a lot of great pictures - but as we got closer to the wide open areas I did get a few good ones - so I will focus on those. One thing I found with this safari vs the morning one was it felt like the animals were more interspersed together rather than segmented by species. I don't know if this is by design of the sunset safari or just coincidence but it gave the safari a different feel

Oh and we had a very good driver this time who was entertaining but not using and Jungle Cruise spiel like our morning driver was - she also had some quick reflexes that came in handy later in the ride.

04_Plains.jpg
05_Plains%202.jpg

06_Small%20animals.jpg
07_Elephant_1.jpg

and of course, gotta get some giraffe pictures ;) ... which also shows how the sun was setting while we rode. The first picture is from early on in the ride, the second from closer to the end

04_Giraffe.jpg
08_evening%20giraffe.jpg

We then came to the lions and I got a decent shot of the Lioness up on the perch .... once we rounded the bend it was clear what she was keeping an eye on:

09_Lionese.jpg
10_Lioness%20and%20zebra.jpg

But the most excitement we had was as we were rounding the bend and our driver was telling us to keep an eye out for the white rino ... and all of sudden she jams on the breaks as we see this run by the front of the truck

Rino%20running%20to%20food.gif

That Rino was on a mission for some food! It definitely seemed like if our driver didn't notice him charging we would have collided - and pretty sure the truck would have gotten the worst of it!

So overall, we enjoyed the Sunset Safari ... although I feel like we didn't really see anything super noticeable as far as their "fake sunset" so I am wondering if we were still a little early for that. But whether it was because it was cooling down or because it was dinner time, we definitely felt the animals were pretty active - very glad we tried it!

Coming up next - we finish out our evening in Animal Kingdom and do we enjoy Jungle Book: Alive with Magic?!?!?! (or do we pan it like everyone else that has ever seen it ;) )

Part 54: At Disney - Day 5: Animal Kingdom
At Night, Animal Kingdom is Alive with Magic!

There was one more food item we wanted to get at Animal Kingdom, and that was located at Tamu Tamu Refreshments. As not only do they have Dole Whips there - they have them with Rum! They have two versions so we tried both and also got the double chocolate chip ice cream sandwich so the kids had something as well.

The one on the left has Dark Rum and the other one has Coconut Rum. What worked out well is that I liked the dark rum one better and Judi like the Coconut Rum one better - both definitely had enough "booze" so we felt we got our money's worth (they were $7 each vs $4.19 for plain Dole Whip). The ice cream sandwich was really good to - so all together this was a great snack!

01_Dole%20Whips%20with%20rum%20and%20ice%20cream%20sandwich.jpg

We took a little time enjoying our snack and then had to head over to the stadium to watch the Jungle Book: Alive with Magic Show. Along the way we saw some street performers. They were really good and we just loved the vibe of Animal Kingdom at night. All over there are different performers and it's just nice. In some ways has a similar fee to walking around World Showcase at night.

02_Street%20performers.jpg

I knew the entrance for the dining package seating was on the Dinoland side of the arena so we headed that way. They had a lot of signs up but in the dark, not knowing exactly where to go, it still was a bit confusing. But we found it but before we could get in a large group was directed past the entrance so we just had to wait a bit. Not a huge deal but a bit annoying as we just wanted to get to our seats after finding the correct entrance. In the end though we got really good seats, very close to the edge of that seating section (so that put us near the middle of the arena as a whole) and about halfway up as I had read that gave you the best views).

This was our view before the show started and then a picture of the crowd in the other section of seats (which was for FP+ holders) and then of our area which was Dining package and then standby towards the far end. As you can see, it was pretty darn crowded!

03_View%20of%20JB%20show.jpg

04_Other%20side%20crowd.jpg
05_our%20side%20crowd.jpg

The show started by performers coming out to the stages connected to the land and then those that were on the float in the water were ferried out. The first picture is of the center most stage with the performers being dropped off. This stage had the three singers on it and the second picture is a close up of those singers

06_Center%20Stage%20with%20Raft.jpg
07_Center%20performers.jpg

In this picture the performer on the left is on the stage connected to the land and then in the back in the floating stage on our side. Behind that you can see the water screen in the back which at this time was projected the words "Jungle Book". The second picture is a similar view but during a dance number that was a peacock theme - and then a gif of that scene as well
08_JB%20Water%20screen.jpg
09_Peacock%20screen.jpg

JB%20-%20Peacock%20dancers.gif

A close up of the center stage performers

10_Center%20Performers.jpg

JB%20-%20Be%20like%20you.gif

They brought the barges out again, this time with fire dancer/performers on them - to add something different

11_Fire%20performers.jpg

They had a part where CMs came into the crowds carrying polls with lamps on them to add to the festiveness. Then some more songs / dances and then the barges came out a third time to collect the performers to bring them back and the show ended.

So what did we think? Well, it is an unpopular opinion but we really liked it (and the crowd definitely gave big cheers at the end so I don't think we were along). Now, I will say, that we had the benefit of knowing what to expect and where to sit and where to look ... those people that reviewed the show on opening night didn't have that. And, if we are comparing it to the technical marvel that will rival World of Color that Rivers of Light has been built as, then, yeah, this is a lesser show.

But if you go in expecting an Indian/Bollywood style dance show featuring some songs from the Jungle Book, then I think you can be quite happy with the show. I will add that I read some early reports of issues with the water screen and performers that seemed to not know the steps/not have a lot of energy - we definitely didn't experience that. The water screen worked fine and I thought all the performers were giving a ton of energy and seems pretty in sync.

When we left the arena we had a little trouble finding our stroller as it had been moved to another area (not a huge deal, but was annoying as we parked it where they told us to - and I had to go against the flow after retrieving it to head back towards are next destination which was to ride Expedition Everest in the dark.

There was not much of a wait to ride (though we did have our rider swaps from earlier in the day) and all I can say is this ride is Awesome! in the dark - so much fun! If we had gotten there a little earlier I think we also could have seen/heard the DHS fireworks going off at that time which would have been cool (we were able to see them a bit from the path as we walked over. Olivia rode with Judi first and then I went with her (so Olivia got 4 rides in on EE today). I didn't take pictures while riding as I just wanted to enjoy it - but I did finally get a good ride photo:

13_Phil%20Olivia%20EE.jpg

After our rides we headed towards the front of the park. Along the way we passed the line that was for people with FP for the 2nd Jungle Book show - wow! This line was long - and there was still 30+ mins before the next show. So I am glad we did the dining package. I took a picture of the signs they put up (these were on a pole and were illuminated) and I think did a good job of directing people where lines were, etc.

12_Lighted%20signs.jpg

At the front of the park we did check out the Tree of Life a bit which had the projections going. As the shows start a bit sporadically it is sometimes hard to know when to look/get your camera ready -and then people rush over to see when it starts and sometimes wind up blocking people that were waiting, etc. The show itself is really cool and very beautiful but in some ways a bit more of a schedule would be nice for us planners ;) I didn't get great pictures but here is one just to give you an idea of what it looks like
14_Tree%20of%20life%20show.jpg

We then headed out - though we had to make a run to Target to pick up a few things (I am know blanking on what they were) but on the plus side this enabled us to get an "arch" picture as we didn't get one before:

15_Arch.jpg

Thus ended day 5 at Disney. Coming up next, we finally get to my favorite park - EPCOT!!!

TTFN

I really like that the animals you saw were more mixed together and not separated by species - that's really cool. If it was by design, then good job Disney!

I've heard so many bad things about Jungle Book: Alive with Magic that I'm really excited to hear a positive review. I think people were expecting it to be Rivers of Light (which is stupid, because if Rivers of Light was ready, they would have just given us Rivers of Light), and when it wasn't anything what we've been told RoL will be, people were already inclined to dislike it. Knowing what to expect going in is definitely a good idea, and I'm glad it did not disappoint!

Great safari photos! I think you were a bit early to get to experience the fake sunset. I'm excited to experience this in a few days!

I'm glad you enjoyed jungle book. I never saw it in person but I felt it was okay nothing great but okay from what I saw on video.

The sporadic ness of tree awakenings I think is great and I don't need to plan for or but that's just me. I can't wait to see that as well.

I know how to start off the new year - by catching up on the last month or so of your TR! :goodvibes

Oh, and I love warning signs that out of context look funny, and this might be my new favorite. Apparently you are not supposed to do a cannon ball onto the saw blade
04_Warning%20sign.jpg

(it was really telling you not to sit on or slide down the stairs)
Ha, we have a picture of this too and I was trying to figure out what it was. :rotfl:

On the way I passed by the construction for The Edison - which sounds like a really cool place and looking forward to when it opens.
We walked by that and wondered what it was - I had to look it up on my phone, as I guess I'm not keeping up on my Disney news well enough.

and waited, and waited ... definitely relying on Disney transportation to Disney Springs requires allotting some time
:headache: We found that pretty much ALL Disney transportation required allotting tons of time this trip. I don't know if things have gotten worse or we just had bad luck, but the bus service was so poor that I'm pretty sure we'll be renting a car for future trips (which is never something I thought I'd say).

So glad you had a great experience at CM!! It was Dugette's first time at CM this trip and I think we all really enjoyed it (well minus Maya). Food was good and lots of options (I don't think we saw sushi though?). Loved the pic with Minnie!
Yes, we had a great time. I asked Dug and he didn't see any sushi there.

The sushi was probably the weakest part of the buffet so you didn't miss much there. Especially with the great sushi they have at California Grill
And Dug responded to not seeing CM sushi by mentioning how great the CG sushi was. :thumbsup2

Interesting about Izzy and Aria riding together - definitely want to hear that story!
I can't remember if I already shared this with you on another post, but we had a Rider Swap and asked if there was any way to use it for me, Izzy, and Aria (3 people, which it covers), since I was the only adult and would have to take them separately (or so I though). The CM was like, "No, they can ride next to each other." She was very confident and knew they were only 4, so we went in. The CM that assigns seats inside asked how old they were and when I said 4, he asked us to step aside for a moment. Then I was doubting things, but it turned out he only did that because he had to have us in the same mine car. But, yeah, they were 1000% okay with two 4-year-olds sitting next to each other and the parent behind them. Sorry you didn't experience that too. :sad2:

And then the required giraffe picture. I know I joke about it but I think the giraffes are the consistently one of the highlights of the safari - they are just so neat to watch and very often get close to the trucks so you can get a good view of them
05_Graffes.jpg
Nice - we did the safari around sunset and barely saw giraffes. But it was still great.

Didn't get the best lion pictures this trip - but one decent shot of the male lion with his head up at least.
This was the best part of the sunset safari for me - the lions were ACTIVE! Like literally playing with each other like cats! Amazing!

and all I can say is this ride is Awesome! in the dark - so much fun!
Glad you enjoyed it. We had a Rider Swap that went unused since we didn't have enough time to ride it after dark (early park closing and Tiffins dinner took up the whole time).

All caught up now and looking forward to more! Happy new year!

Catching up on A LOT of AK goodness!! I sure hope I can get DS on EE at least once next trip, nevermind 4 times like your little daredevil! She looks like she is having the time of her life, though.

I'm glad you enjoyed the JB show. We thought about going Saturday night for it after the Sip & Snack meet at DS, but we ended up having so much fun at the meet, we didn't want to leave for a show that wasn't getting rave reviews. In the end, the only thing I really missed getting the opportunity to do was the ToL awakening. That looks really cool! And we missed it in October too, unfortunately. I totally agree that a schedule of some sort would be so nice for us uber planners!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter