26th Anniversary Trip - It is all about the food!- Updated and Complete 1/10

I think we nearly crossed paths the night of the cast party. We had dinner at the bar at the Wave and then went to Trader Sam's for (another ;-) drink.

Your Cali Grill meal looks delicious! We always have good luck there!

Day 8-

All of the previous walking had taken its toll, and we decided to have a non-park day today. We had an ADR for breakfast at Trail’s End, so we took an Uber to Fort Wilderness. We had eaten dinner here in 2005, and enjoyed it, but hadn’t been back since- it isn’t easily accessible. The car dropped us off by the buses, (you can’t drive to Pioneer Hall- which is where Trail’s End and the HDDR are), and we learned that all of the buses stop at Pioneer Hall, so we hopped aboard the first one.

We found the restaurant, and Dave found a nice place to wait- Rocking Chairs!
upload_2017-1-9_14-40-36.png

We were seated, and the restaurant wasn’t crowded, but the line for the food took quite a while. And I remembered what I had not liked about it all those years ago- there is one line for the whole buffet (which is pretty tiny). It would be nice to have lines for the individual areas- if you just want to grab one thing, but it doesn’t work that way. However, the food was excellent, and a good deal- we paid OOP and used the Disney Visa discount.
upload_2017-1-9_14-40-50.png

The bread pudding with praline sauce was amazing. They also had a really good hash- we really liked everything.

After breakfast, we walked to the Fort Wilderness boat dock. There wasn’t any line for the boats that run between there and Ft. Wilderness, so we waited for that boat, and took the boat to that hotel. We walked through the hotel and looked at the decorations, then got an Uber back to our hotel.

We enjoyed sitting in the hot tub and reading books and just relaxing. For lunch, Dave’s ankle wasn’t up to walking, so I ran to Artist’s Palette and got us an Italian sandwich to share. It also came with homemade potato chips that were tasty. Again, this wasn’t my favorite food court, and every single deluxe hotel we visited, had a better one. But now we know.

We had a Boma reservation for dinner, and decided to head over early to the AKL to hang out. This is one place I have always wanted to stay. We hang out in the lobby a while, then went outside and sat in rocking chairs for a while, then walked around the savanna area and watched animals. It is really a lovely place.

At dinner time, we checked in, and got the best table ever!
upload_2017-1-9_14-41-10.png

It was in its own little nook, with easy line access. The food was great- we always have a good meal here.
upload_2017-1-9_14-41-26.png

They also mostly had mini desserts – but I liked them better. I did miss the bread pudding a lot- that seems to have disappeared at many places. Boma is a fun place to try new things. To get home, we hopped a bus to Disney Springs, then walked to the boat dock and sailed home.

Day 9 – Last Full Day

We grabbed some breakfast at the food court again today, and headed to the Animal Kingdom. Somehow we seem to always do AK on our last day. We rode EE again and saw everything else that we wanted to see. Lunch was a new restaurant that I had always wanted to try: Yak & Yeti.

Specialty non-alcoholic drinks were included on the DDP and I tried the Cherry Limeade. (Nothing special).

I have always wanted to try the fried green beans, so we paid for those OOP, and I liked them. They also give you a huge amount- there were too many for the 2 of us.
upload_2017-1-10_8-43-54.png

For our entrees we ordered the Chicken Tiki Marsala, and the Honey Chicken. Both were disappointing because the chicken was way overcooked. We actually filled out a comment card recommending they use thighs instead of breasts. Dave wished he had ordered the Kobe beef burger.
upload_2017-1-10_8-44-4.pngupload_2017-1-10_8-44-12.png

But onto better things- the desserts! I ordered the Fried wontons and Dave got the trio of sorbet. I think the Fried wontons were one of the best desserts I have ever had and one of my favorite foods of the trip. It was like 4 desserts: fried wontons filled with cream cheese, fresh pineapple, fresh strawberries, and vanilla ice cream. Dave said all of flavors of sorbet were excellent.
upload_2017-1-10_8-44-23.png
upload_2017-1-10_8-44-34.png

Would I come back? Yes- but I would try something besides chicken, and maybe just eat appetizers and dessert!

We used our last FP+ for our last attraction of the trip- Finding Nemo, the musical. I always love it- Dave is harder to please.

We hopped the bus to Kidani village- and for the only time on our trip- had to stand. And not only did we have to stand, we had to stand by a child who screamed a horrible scream every time they didn’t get their way. It was awful. I was so very close to offering parenting advise, because who cares if they hate me, I’ll never see them again, right? Because I totally know how to fix that behavior… But onto Kidani village!

We enjoyed this hotel for a while and looked at their savanna views. We checked in at Sanaa- which had also been recommended by my daughter. Our waitress seemed a little short or irritated with us for some reason, but we didn’t let that bother us. This restaurant was nice because you can see the Savanna. We paid OOP for the Naan bread service with all the dipping sauces.
upload_2017-1-10_8-44-53.png

We enjoyed it very much. However, I wish I had written down which sauces I liked- because I wouldn’t need all of them again. This was really the only part of the meal we liked. We like Indian food, but here again, they had seriously overcooked chicken. And the flavors weren’t that great.

I had the butter chicken and Paneer Tika which is a cheese in a sauce. It wasn’t inedible, it just wasn’t good. Dave had the butter chicken and I think some seasonal vegetables.
upload_2017-1-10_8-45-7.pngupload_2017-1-10_8-45-28.png

Maybe the desserts will shine? Nope. I had the Lemon Lychee tart, and Dave had a rice pudding. We didn’t really like either one. They looked pretty though.
upload_2017-1-10_8-45-44.pngupload_2017-1-10_8-45-53.png

Sanaa won’t go on my “have to go back” list, but I’m glad we tried it. Next time I will probably have our last meal at a tried and true place.

We had a lovely time, and really enjoyed all of the dining. We found many new places that we enjoyed and it made me want to try some new places every time.

Thanks for the great reviews! Sorry about all the overcooked chicken! We've always had great luck at Sanaa, but really I'm all about the bread service. I'm thinking next time we go we'll just sit in the lounge and have that and drinks and I'll be perfectly happy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter