2016-17 Boston Bruins Thread

How will the Bruins do in the 2016-17 season?

• More ping pong balls than any other team at the lottery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Isn't it amazing when you show up for the game on time? You don't wait until 1/2 way through the 2nd period to start playing 3 zone hockey, and you leap out to a 4-0 lead in the first 22 min of the game. On there way to a 5-3 win. Yes, it did start getting scary towards the end. Two of the goals were literally kicked in by the Blues. A Carlo blast against the boards behind the goal bounced across the goal line and was kicked in by Allen while he was looking for the puck. The other kicked in goal, happened when STL pulled the goalie and the Bruins had missed their at least 5 shots at the empty net. It took Marchand just flipping the puck in front of the goal, and then being kicked in by the Blues. Other than those 2 goals, the rest were either needle threading or being opportunistic or both.

It was also a game of multiple and big hits. And even a scrap between Backes and his old team (how does he not wear the 'A' full-time?). But, like I said, it got scary down the stretch. Cutting the lead to 4-2 before the B's scored their empty-netter. And then to even add more anxiety, STL made it 5-3 with 30 sec left. At the end of the night, the Bruins walked away with 2 much needed points.

Tonight the Bruins go against the Subban-less Preds, tonight at 8pm. Once again, the Bruins will need these points. They are 9 pts behind the Habs while having played 2 more games than MTL.

Face-off at 8pm. Let's Go Bruins!!!!

The Bruins can never play a matinee again. EVER..... It was bad enough when they weren't showing up for the first period & a 1/2 during the night games, but they didn't even show up AT ALL yesterday. It was an abomination. It got to the point where Blidh and Nash were the 2 best offensive weapons the Bruins had. Granted that wasn't hard to do last night. These 2 could enter the zone, maintain control of the puck and NOT turn it over leading to a breakaway going in the other direction. The barrage was so bad, and Tuuk was hung out to dry so much, that he and his 'ahem' "mustache" sat during the 3rd. Finally, the clock was merciful and finally ticked from 60 to 0:00, and the Bruins left the Garden having suffered a 4-0 defeat at the hands of the team with the worst record in the Eastern Conf.

Sorry but can't resist - Go Preds!

No need to apologize. Your Preds won fair and square and without Subban. See you again in March.

Someone better call in Brian Fantana, because I think "Claude Watch" is going to be a real thing. Not necessarily that he deserves the axing. He may or may not. Cases can be made for both sides. No, he will be given his walking papers because it is easier to fire 1 coach than to try to move 5-10 players with NMC contracts. And that is the fault of PC. All that being said, yesterday was a dumpster fire. It was like they thought the Pats/Pitt game was being played at the same time and wouldn't be watching them. Sadly, that was not the case. We got to watch the whole thing.

1st period... Pretty good. Fought to a standstill.
2nd period... Pens open up the scoring, but the B's keep it interesting. Also, Tuuk goes out with migraines.
3rd period... The aforementioned dumpster fire. 3 goals in the 1st 5 minutes. It was ridiculous. It was like watching LaFlamme score at the end of Goon.

Like I said, "Claude Watch" is on and the Bruins have a crucible the next week or so.

Let's Go Bruins!!!

It's officially the end of an era. The man that brought the Bruins their first Stanley Cup since 1972, is now no longer coach. The writing has been on the walls for a while now. And by "a while" I mean years. It may or may not have been the time to part ways. There are arguments on both sides. But the biggest argument, is not about the firing, it was about the timing. There is no disputing that the announcement was timed, so that the press conference would be done during the Patriots' parade (Congrats Pats!!! #RogerThat ). And, like before, there are arguments for both sides. But, what's done, is done.

Going forward, Coach "Butch" Cassidy will be at the helm. The biggest positive for him, is that most of the youth on the team, played for him in Providence. So the transition, for 1/2 the team should be minimal. We'll find out tomorrow and in the remaining 20+ games.

In other news, the Shattenkirk rumors are starting to kick up again.

Let's Go Bruins!!!

I agree the timing was calculated and very poor in taste. Neely was on Felger and Mazz today for the first time in forever, and claimed that Sweeney wanted to tell the players first and they weren't all together until Tues morning.

Wow. It's been awhile since we posted.

After six games and five wins I'm not prepared to say they are back in the playoff hunt, but at least Cassidy has them playing like a hockey team. Much more fun right now.

Didn't get to see the Kings game but happy they won. Keep it up!

Things are starting to look a little shaky. First another loss to Toronto - can't believe they lost all 4 this season - now tied in the first period against Ottawa who they also haven't beaten in a while.
Not very uplifting.

BIG win tonight to get them back in the playoffs after too long out of it.
Now the question is, Who will they play that they haven't beaten too much lately. Washington or Ottawa.

I guess this is as good a time as any to get back on the horse. The Bruins are going to back to the second season. After a 2 yr hiatus, the Bruins can FINALLY play in a best of 7 format again. I gotta give a lot of the credit to the coaching change. Maybe/maybe not due to Cassidy himself, but it can't be denied that the best runs took place after the shake-up. To his credit, I will praise to the moon and back Cassidy's policy of not keeping lines "concrete." Swapping Backes and Pasta had really panned out. As have trying to find the best chemistry and positioning of the 4th line. I will not go so far as calling them "Merlot 2.0." They do not have the same grit and impact as 11, 22, 20; but once they've found their niche with Moore, Nash & Acciari, it became tougher to cross the blue line AND you had to be aware of their offensive abilities. The 3rd line is still a touch of a jumbled mess. I wouldn't be surprised if it was eliminated to some degree in the playoffs and use the forwards to spell forwards of other lines.

Their are 2 games left and the Bruins can finish anywhere from 2nd in the division to 2nd wild card. TB, TOR and OTT all have a game in hand on the Bruins. But the Bruins have a lot of the tie breakers. So there is a lot to shake out between now and Sunday. And, for all the hockey fans, I believe, that every team in the league is in action on Saturday. In 1 day, seedings and even playoff lives are at stake. Should be very entertaining.

Congrats to the Bruins on their "shirt & hat" game last night. Hope to get another 2 months of Bruins hockey.

Let's Go Bruins!!!!!

Now for the elephant in the room. Yes, I have been gone for a while. Life and work constantly get in the way. And every time I wanted to get back in the ring, it was at an optimal peak or abysmal valley. And I didn't want to seem like a Kevin-Bacon-at-the-end-of-Animal-House reactionary. But, I hope to stay on top of the run and maintain my wise-acre comments.

35 lbs. everyone.

Not exactly an auspicious introduction to the Marchy-less era. The Bruins got on the board 1st, but that was it for the B's. With the loss of Krug (forecast uncertain) as well as the choking 1-3-1 defense that the Sens were throwing at them. And eventually lost to Ottawa in a shootout. This leaves 1 game left for the Bruins. And depending how things shake out this weekend, it could possibly be their last opponent this year. Not that they will be bounced from the playoffs. That's impossible now. What it means is that with the finale' on Saturday, it could possibly lead to 8 games in a row against the Caps. Not exactly an optimistic view, I know. But at least we're back in the playoffs. Whether it's against Wash, Tor or Ott. We have hockey for a few more weeks.

Let's go Bruins!

The hockey gods have smiled upon us. Not only did we get into the playoffs, but thanks to a reg. loss by the Leafs last night, we avoid the Caps until the Conf. Finals, hopefully. 1st game against OTT is on Wednesday. I'm interested to see if there will be any shuffling of the lines for the playoffs. There will definitely be a shake-up in the D corps. With injuries to Krug and Carlo, it is a very precarious position.

The best of 7 starts Wed. Let's Go Bruins!!!!!!

Also, I started an NHL Playoff thread. It can be found HERE .

What a nail biting... Jaw clenching... Jumping out of your seat... Yelling at the TV, game.

The up and back of the 1st 10 minutes about was probably the most exciting hockey I'd seen out of the Bruins in a few weeks. Then there was the shot-less 2nd period. Something that had only happened 4 times in the playoffs, in the last 19 yrs. It was also in the 2nd when the Sens cracked the Great Wall of Finland, and took a 1 - 0 lead. It seemed that the 1-3-1 trap had done it's job. But I would've loved to have been in the locker room during the 2nd intermission to see what was said and by who, that led to the Bruins dominating the 3rd period. Got goals from resent absentees, Vatrano and Marchand. True, Vatrano was technically in the Bruins line-up, in the games down the stretch, but his "game" wasn't. Hopefully this is a sign of what to come.

My only real gripe with last night, was the play of Spooner (I still have a few thoughts about Krejci last night, but nothing I hadn't said in the past). There were so many times that he just sort of coasted. And then there was the time by the net he couldn't muscle through or pull the trigger on a practical empty net. If he can't shake this off, when (ahem) Krejci returns, I could see Spooner sitting and Nash or Moore centering that line.

One thing that I don't think ANYONE can have a gripe with was the debut of McAvoy. Wow... That's all I got. Wow... 24+ min on ice. Good job bringing up the puck. Was the QB of the 1st PP unit. And no huge mistakes. AND, I was sooooooooooooooo pulling for him to bang home the puck when he drove to the net.

Unfortunately, the Bruins won't be able to ride this momentum. Thanks to a Dixie Chicks concert on Friday, the B's and Sens won't play again until Sat. afternoon. (Boooooooooooooooooo).

In former Bruins news, Looch had a banner game last night. He had a goal and an assist agains the Sharks, but it wasn't enough. The Oilers lost in OT.

Game 2 of B's/Sens is Sat. at 3pm.

Let's go Bruins!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I didn't see too much of the game but I was flabbergasted when I heard no shots in the second. Glad they won but they need to go to the net more.

Can't wait to be glued to our seats!!!

My DH is such an Ovechkin fan(not strong enough) he has his pants (Caps) & even does his laces the same way, have to have the loose hang. Would love a B's & Caps series!!!

I call Game 2 "blown". The second goal Ottawa scored - very soft Tuukka! Then on the tying goal, nobody touched Karleson. Should have knocked him off the puck.
Next two games are here. They need to do better.

Bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep.

And that is my report on tonight's game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!