2011 Free Dining is Extended! New dates as of 8/3

Question! So I read in Passporter that these dates include blackout dates? I'll be going in March 23 to the 27th, do blackout dates mean that I can have it applied to my reservation that starts on the 23rd? If so, I already booked it, how will I go on doing this? I have a deluxe plan and I'm staying in a moderate, so could I cancel that, get the free one, then upgrade it? What are the fees for upgrade? Am I better off just leaving my package the way it is?? Somebody please help @

March 23 is outside the promotion dates. It appears you are checking in for a 4 night stay on the 23rd. The promotion dates start on the 25th.

You cannot get free dining for your full stay. The best you can do is get it for the nights of the 25th and 26th. You would have to book one reservation for the 23rd and 24th and a second, separate reservation, a free dining package, for the 25th and 26th.

The biggest problem you will have is if you want the dining plan at all for the 23rd and 24th. In order to get it, unless you're an annual passholder you will have to buy tickets with both reservations, because you need at least a 2 day ticket on the same package as the free dining.

If you're OK with skipping the dining plan for the first two nights, get whatever length of tickets you want on the free dining package (guessing you want 4 or 5 day tickets) and pick the tickets up early on the 23rd (for instructions on how to do this, there is a Ticket FAQ sticky thread on the Theme Parks board).

I am not sure it seems worth it to be splitting a four-night trip in half though. You're going to have ticket problems if you want DDP for the 23rd and 24th.

Disney's website has it starting Oct. 23 not 30th for that segment. I think there is a discrepancy from what was released to TAs and what was listed on their site.

From WDW Special Offers
2011: Oct 2-8, Oct 23-Nov 5, Nov 13-19, Nov 27-Dec 3, Dec 11-17
2012: Jan 8-14, Jan 22-Feb 4, Feb 12-18, Mar 4-10, Mar 25-31

If you stay at a Value, can you pay the differance to upgrade to the regular dining plan instead of the quick service one?
Maybe this will help with all of the reoccurring questions and misunderstandings that keep popping up about the WDW Free Dining Promotion and Promotion Guidelines (Of course, this info will be based on Free Dining Guidelines for the past 7 years, Disney can change their policies at any time.):

FREE DINING FACTS AND INFORMATION

The Free Dining Promo/Discount was first introduced in the fall of 2005 and up until the fall of 2009, was, basically, just offered during the timeframe of mid August to the first of October (height of hurricane season) and included the Basic/Plus Dining for all levels of WDW resort. Starting in the fall of 2009, they offered a second Free Dining Promo/Discount that covered dates between October 1st and the third week of December and they also started including the Quick Service DDP for Value resorts and the Basic/Plus DDP for Moderate and Deluxe Resorts. With the popularity of the Free Dining Promo, last year, for the first time, WDW offered multiple Free Dining discounts during this year that included many value season/low crowd weeks.

To take advantage of a Free Dining (FD) discount you must be booked at a Disney-owned resort and purchase a Magic Your Way Package that includes room, tickets and dining with a 2 day base ticket purchase. The FD promos have a 3 day booking minimum and a 14 day booking maximum. You can not include Annual Passes or previously purchased tickets for Disney or any other outside ticketing agent.

The current FD promos have included the Quick Service Dining Plan for Value Resorts and the Basic/Plus Dining Plan for Moderate and Deluxe Resorts. You can not downgrade to the Quick Service Dining if you are staying at a Moderate or Deluxe Resort - there have been reports that, once in the parks, guests have been able to trade/convert Table Service (TS) credits for Counter Service (CS) credits, but this is not advertised on the WDW website and should not be considered WDW "policy." You can however pay the monetary difference and upgrade to the Basic/Plus DDP or the Deluxe DDP if you are staying at a Value Resort and can upgrade to the Deluxe Plan if you are staying at a Moderate or Deluxe Resort. The Deluxe Dining Plan has never been included in any free dining promos. Here is a breakdown of FD upgrade costs for 2011:

2011 Upgrade from Quick Service DDP $34.99/$11.99 to Basic/Plus DDP $45.99/$11.99
$11.00 per adult 10+; $0.00 per child 3 - 9

2011 Upgrade from Quick Service DDP $34.99/$11.99 to Deluxe DDP $78.99/$21.99
$44.00 per adult 10+; $10.00 per child 3 - 9

2011 Upgrade from Basic/Plus DDP $45.99/$11.99 to Deluxe DDP $78.99/$21.00
$33.00 per adult 10+; $10.00 per child 3 - 9

2012 Upgrade from the Quick Service DDP $34.99/$11.99 to Basic/Plus DDP $51.54/$15.02
$16.65 per adult 10+; $3.03 per child 3 - 9

2012 Upgrade from Quick Service DDP $34.99/$11.99 to Deluxe DDP $85.52/$23.79
$50.53 per adult 10+; $11.50 per child 3 - 9

2012 Upgrade from Basic/Plus DDP $51.54/$15.02 to Deluxe DDP $85.52/$23.79
$33.98 per adult 10+; $8.77 per child 3 - 9

Your check in date must fall within the dates of the FD promo to apply the discount to your reservation. If your check in dates do not fall within the FD dates, you can not apply the discount - even if every single night of your vacation falls within the promo, except for your check in date, you can not take advantage of the FD promo.

If any of your vacation dates fall within a FD promo dates you can receive the FD discount for your entire vacation stay, up to 14 nights, even if you are checking in on the last day of a FD promo, you can still recieve the discount for up to 14 nights.

If your vacation starts a couple of days before a FD promo, it's possible to do a Split Stay - meaning, you can do a room only reservation for 1 to 3 nights at the beginning of your vacation, pay for your food out-of-pocket for those days, and be allowed to pick up your PACKAGE TICKETS up to 3 days early at guest relations at any of the four parks or at Downtown Disney (For further info on picking up tickets early, please see Diser, CheshireFigment's, Ticket Sticky on the top the Themeparks Board.)

If you already have an existing reservation that falls within the dates of a FD promo, you can call and have the FD code added to modify that reservation. You can not add the FD code on line, you will need to call WDW Reservations, 407-W-Disney. You do NOT have to rebook, your reservation number does not change and there is not a fee - if you are within your 45 day window, they can charge you a $50.00 change fee, but, most FD promos come out before the 45 day window, so this shouldn't be an issue. If you have already paid your package in full, WDW will refund you the monetary difference - this can take up to 2 billing cycles or about 2 months. Each resort is only allotted so many FD rooms, so if you call and your resort is sold out of FD promo rooms, you can change your resort and do not have to cancel or pay a fee and your reservation number stays the same. If your existing reservation is a room only reservation, then you would have to cancel and rebook under a Magic Your Way Package to receive the FD discount. If you booked with a Travel Agent, then the TA must call and add this discount to your existing reservation. The TA owns your reservation and Disney will not change the discount/code for without going through your TA.

Typically, in the past, other than last's August FD announcement, Disney Visa holders ere given the FD Promo Code three (3) days before it opens to the general public. In the past, all you had to do to get the Disney Visa FD discount was put $200.00 down with your card, the balance did not have to be put on the Disney Visa. If you are already booked with a Disney Visa, you will simply have to put another $200.00 deposit down to apply the code. If you have paid the trip in full with a DV, they will still refund the monetary difference and you will not have to re-apply any money.

If you already have Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) changing or modifying a reservation does not effect or cancel your ADRs. You would have to go on-line or call WDW Dining to cancel ADRs, even if you completely cancel a vacation/reservation. Remember, anyone can make ADRs, even offsite guests and don't have to be linked to your reservation in any way. If you have already booked and paid for any restaurants and/or dinner shows, and then a FD promo/discount is released, you can contact Disney Dining once you modify your reservation to include the FD code and give them your reservation number, and they will credit you the amount you pre-paid. This type of refund also takes 2 billing cycles or about 2 months.

Hopefully this info will give everyone an overview of the current Free Dining Guidelines.

Question! So I read in Passporter that these dates include blackout dates? I'll be going in March 23 to the 27th, do blackout dates mean that I can have it applied to my reservation that starts on the 23rd? If so, I already booked it, how will I go on doing this? I have a deluxe plan and I'm staying in a moderate, so could I cancel that, get the free one, then upgrade it? What are the fees for upgrade? Am I better off just leaving my package the way it is?? Somebody please help @ _ @ :confused3
No, the free dining promo would not apply for your dates. Your check in dates has to be within the FD promo dates. You could do a split stay. Please see post #907 for more details and your options.

OK, I'm at work & can't spend too much time reading back through so I'll apologize if this has already been addressed. I'm book for 10/8 to10/15 (booked back in April) Can FD be added to my ressie for the whole trip? Thanks!

Apologies if this has already been addressed, I'm at work and can't spend too much time reading back through the thread. I booked 10/8-10/15 back in April- can FD be added for my entire trip? Or am I out of luck? Thanks!

Doing the happy dance!!! I just booked my free dining starting October 23.

Not sure why but a couple of posts around this site show most of October as blocked out. But I called and I got it!!!:dance3:

On hold for about 25 minutes but well worth it.

If you stay at a Value, can you pay the differance to upgrade to the regular dining plan instead of the quick service one?

Yes, I booked our trip this morning at Pop Century and upgraded to the basic dining plan. For us it was $11 per adult 0$ per child/ a day to upgrade. So $33 a day.

OK, I'm at work & can't spend too much time reading back through so I'll apologize if this has already been addressed. I'm book for 10/8 to10/15 (booked back in April) Can FD be added to my ressie for the whole trip? Thanks!

Yes, since 10/8 is the last day of check in for one of the free dining offers. A few places have it through 10/6 but it's a mistake. Disney has through 10/6 and then 10/8 on their own site.

I booked POP this a.m. online (took 5 min) for 10/8 to 10/18. Free QSDP included. :cloud9:

Question! So I read in Passporter that these dates include blackout dates? I'll be going in March 23 to the 27th, do blackout dates mean that I can have it applied to my reservation that starts on the 23rd? If so, I already booked it, how will I go on doing this? I have a deluxe plan and I'm staying in a moderate, so could I cancel that, get the free one, then upgrade it? What are the fees for upgrade? Am I better off just leaving my package the way it is?? Somebody please help @ _ @ :confused3
No, all package discounts go by the Check-in date. Since you are checking in on the 23rd, that stay is ineligible for the free dining discount.

You could create a "split stay" by booking 2 reservations. One room only from 3/23 - 3/25, then the FD package from 3/25 - 3/27. You would only get FD from 3/25 - 3/27 in this case though, and unless you purchased additional tickets for the first trip (at least 1 day base), you'd not even be eligible for any dining plan those 2 nights.

The fees for the upgrade are the difference in cost between what you're getting for free and what the one you want is. In your case, this would be ~$34 per adult and ~$9 per child per night.

Since it's a shorter stay and only half the stay could get it, and then it's by splitting the reservation, I'd think you're better off keeping it as is. (You're going to pay at least $90 extra per adult just for the tickets to keep DxDDP on the first part of the reservation).

I am confused...we were originally booked at POP with dining. I just changed it to Coronado with free dining and it is costing me $130 more for 4 nights. I thought with free dining the cost of the moderate (since the room difference is about $70 a night) would save me money?
Hm... what is the level/type of room you got at CSR compared to the one at POP? The CSR is the most expensive of all the mods (and well worth it imo :p) and if you got a water view or similar rate room, may be a bit more than just the $70 jump (unless you compared the rooms before and after, I don't know).

Usually, yes. You'd have to call to see if they can do it. (But I'd highly suspect that you can).

I don't believe this question was answered on the FAQ paragraphs (which were still very helpful and it was very nice to have them posted throughout the thread), but can you upgrade from the regular plan to the deluxe for just a few days, or does the upgrade need to be for the whole trip.

I don't believe this question was answered on the FAQ paragraphs (which were still very helpful and it was very nice to have them posted throughout the thread), but can you upgrade from the regular plan to the deluxe for just a few days, or does the upgrade need to be for the whole trip.
No, you can not upgrade for just a few days. The package you book at check in stays the same until check out.

I got free dining day applied to a vacation I already had booked. It took me 27 attempts to get through the phone lines to speak to a CM and get the FD applied to my ressie. I'm excited it came out for our dates!! :woohoo:

princess:Princess Tiffany
Thanks for all your help!!:worship:
We got our FD for Dec.:santa:and added a extra day at the end of our stay.
I called at 7:00 and the wait was worth it!:dance3:
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter