2010 Free Dining Discussion-Free Dining released for everyone (see 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

taben

Mouseketeer
Free Dining is out for everyone. Wait times are long this morning, up to 40 minutes. Be patient, and you'll get through.

If you are tired of waiting on the phone, you can book online while you wait! (Safari doesn't seem to be working, but any other internet browser seems to be working fine!

As expected the QSDP is the plan offered for those staying at Value Resorts, and the DDP is the plan offered for those staying at Moderate and Deluxe Resorts.

The cost to upgrade from the QSDP (values) to the regular DDP is the difference between the two plans. Approximately $10 per adult and $2 per child. If you upgrade to the DxDDP, it will cost you the difference between the QSDP and the DxDDP to upgrade.

Call 407-939-6244 say "Agent" twice, and you will get an agent.

Just ask for Free Dining

Dates are Aug 14-Oct 2 but must be booked by Aug 14

The minimum stay requirement is a 3 night minimum, with 2 day base ticket requirement

As of right now, no resorts seem to be 'booked' out! :goodvibes:

We'll keep this updated as the day goes on.

Today's notes are from Moderators of the RB, not the OP :)

Original Questions:
We are thinking about going back in Sept. of next year and make it a long vacation with a day at Clearwater and one at Universal to see the Harry Potter park. When do you think they would start advertising the free dining for next year? They have been running this for the past several years and I assume they will again for next year as well the way the economy is going. :rolleyes:

Your thoughts??

This year they announced it on in the beginning of April. The 1st, I believe. I would think that it would be around the same time next year.
We booked bounceback when we were there in September for next year which will include free dining! :banana: Or I'd be right there waiting with you for the big annoucement!!! Good luck!

I have a question about this! :goodvibes

We are going to book for 6 of us (2 rooms at ASMU) for September in hopes of getting free dining. I know that with free dining you have to get at least 1 base ticket for everyone, we are getting homeschoolers tickets so don't want to get MYW tickets.

When I call to book, do I have to book the dining plan and then call back when free dining is released or can I just book the rooms/1 base ticket and then when free dining is released call back and add it??? :confused3

Thanks for any help, we haven't ever used the dining plan or free dining before.

I'm sure the free dining will continue in 2010 again because I've managed to get mine for Sept 2010 but through the UK Disney site staying at Saratoga Springs (got 47% off and free dining). They have real good offers on just now I think for the UK crowd so I'm sure those will filter through to everyone at some point.

Wow! They sure are giving UK a good deal! I don't think they EVER allow 2 discounts at once for those of us here in the US! Hope you are right about the free dining...or more than that, I hope I can GET IT when it comes out! :goodvibes

I also have a question concerning free dining. I live in Georgia and our school system went to some weird calendar where we will be getting a week off in September. I think it's because some school board member that's very influential has a neighbor that's a homeschool family and wanted to get the same deals on vacation. (We get a week off in September, November for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, week off in February, week off in April for Spring Break, and we are gone for the summer the Friday before Memorial Day).

Crazy, I know. But here's the deal: we decided to see about going to Free Dining. The problem is: how do you go about getting it?

If you go to a value hotel, can you get the regular dining plan free, or just the CS plan? Do you normally have a minimum stay involved? Do you need to book the MYW package first? And, when you book, do you need a code?

We recently got back from free dining. It was wonderful!!!! Totally spoiled us. We did a value resort, got the CS dining plan free. I had to add I think 10/day to upgrade to TS. I can't remember how much, then it was bundled in the cost of the pkg. But it wasn't much, and very worth it!! We had to stay for 3 or 5 days, can't remember and all have matching park tickets, that went with the deal. I sure hope they do it again!

We recently got back from free dining.
I sure hope they do it again!

Did you stay at a WDW resort in the Free Dining period prior to October 24? If so, did you know as a resort guest you were eligible to book a "Bounceback" package for Free Dining again next year? (Dates August 15 - September 30, 2010) This offer expired on October 24, so if your stay was after that - sorry, please just disregard the rest of this post :laughing:

This is a great way to guarantee a year ahead that you will get Free Dining again next year, plus it has been reported that the BB FD people got the regular DDP (not QSDP) even in the Values.

The offer stated you had to put down a $200 deposit before check out, and before October 24, (with the balance due next year, 45 days prior as usual) BUT I have read other DISers postings that they were upset that they didn't know about the BB offer and called after they returned home and were still allowed to book.

Might be something to consider if you are sure you want to go again! :cutie:

Here's copies of that BB flyer that Disers Marciemi and Goofy22 posted here on the DIS after they returned from their trips (with thanks to both):

My flyer from my room at Pop - booked the bounceback on Friday:

Bounceback003.jpg

2010bouncebackoffer.jpg

To qualify for Free Dining you need to book a Free Dining package with a min. 3 night stay and 1-day park pass.

You can book a room only and then add the rest (if available) when they announce Free Dining (probably April).

Yeah, we got there on 10/20 and got that offer. But passed b/c we'd rather go in Oct/Nov/Dec. I work at a university and that Aug/Sept time is our busiest!

If you go to a value hotel, can you get the regular dining plan free, or just the CS plan? Do you normally have a minimum stay involved? Do you need to book the MYW package first? And, when you book, do you need a code?

I booked our stay at All Star Music right when they announced free dining. We had the DDP 1 TB, 1CT, and 1 Snack per day. I think when they extended it, they changed the Value packages to Quick Service. When you see that the promotion has started, just call and request to book the free dining package.
One of my friends had already booked her trip and when it was announced, she called and had it applied. As long as you don't have any other discounts already, like discounted room rates...

Free dining was released early this year - March 27th for Disney Visa cardholders, I think - for travel in late Aug. - late September. The offer for Oct - Dec was new this year and came later. Free dining has usually been released in early April.

There's usually a free dining thread on this forum that you can subscribe to - as you get into March you see a lot of "Any rumors?", "I can't wait" type posts. Give the updates a quick glance before deleting so you don't miss it.

Another site has a free dining alert list that you can join - they only send info related to free dining so you only get a few messages each year. It doesn't sort for UK or Disney Visa Free Dining offers so you'll get those too. See: http://www.buildabettermousetrip.com...ining.php#fdal

Mousesavers always sends a hot deal announcement for free dining to their newsletter subscribers. They don't flood your inbox with a lot of stuff either - you'll probably get 2 messages a month.

I'm sure the free dining will continue in 2010 again because I've managed to get mine for Sept 2010 but through the UK Disney site staying at Saratoga Springs (got 47% off and free dining). They have real good offers on just now I think for the UK crowd so I'm sure those will filter through to everyone at some point.
Do they have free dining for October?

Do they have free dining for October?

They did have a general public free dining offer this year, covering stays beginning between September 27 and December 17 with a couple of blackout dates, but this is the first year it's been done for those dates. Whether they will have it again next year remains to be seen.

The general US offer is in the second half of August through September, maybe including a few days into October.

What a helpful thread. I have a question though about MYW park tickets. I was under the impression that you can stay and pay at the resort for the Free DDP without the park passes. I ask this as to cut costs we were planning on purchasing our park passes with our airmiles and planing to hopefully book the free dining for Sept and paying for the rest (flights and hotel)

So do you have to purchase your park passes as part of the Free DDP package to get it?

You have to purchase a 1 day base ticket for everyone in order to do the ddp or free dining.

If you are an annual passholder, you do not have to purchase at least a one day base ticket to do DDP if you pay for it - but you do if you want it free.

If you purchase your park tickets separately (such as purchasing them with airmiles), and you are not an annual passholder, then there is no way for you to get a dining plan without a further ticket purchase unless you are a DVC member or you consider renting DVC points from a member. Anyone other than annual passholders or DVC members cannot get a dining plan without purchasing a package reservation with at least a one-day park ticket. (There is also an exception for the military room discount if you qualify for that)

And at any rate, you cannot pay at your resort for the dining plan, nor can you add free dining at your resort. You must have it booked ahead of time. Package reservations must be booked and have the dining plan added no later than 72 hours before the arrival date.

Forgive me Nala, I've had a couple glasses of wine and I just got confused...

I'm actually booking tomorrow! :cool1: We are getting homeschool tickets when they are available (this is for Sept. 2010) but hoping for free dining. Sooooooooo...am I correct that I should book our room with a 1 day base ticket for all of us and then when free dining is (IF it is) announced, I can call up and add it to our reservation???

Sorry for the questions, I'm sure a CM will walk me through it tomorrow as well, this will be our first time onsite booking and I just don't want to do it wrong! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter