• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2007 DVC Member Cruise - Pictures, mostly

I almost didn't post any cruise pictures because I didn't think they were all that good - now I am glad I did!

Camera = 2006 Canon EOS Rebel
- Specifically, EOS Rebel XT (350D) 8.2 mg, with 28-135 IS lense (the lens was probably only a factor in the Theater pictures, shot with ISO=1600)

It looks like you don't use your flash a lot, right? Some great low-light pictures in there. And that food looked good enough to eat! How was the wine-tasting? That looked great also!!

Flash is often necessary, but casts a harsh illumination, especially in close quarters (like the food pictures - light TOO low in the dining room to shoot without flash, and plates TOO close to soften the light, but heh, it is what it is). Actually, now that I have digital, I am inclined to take two pictures in low light conditions - one with flash and one with ISO=1600 (or 800) - then delete the less satisfying shot.

Click here for food shots where natural light is a big factor - the California Grill,
especially these:

p643274985-4.jpg

p1066544364-4.jpg

In answer to the wine-tasting question....

Wine tasting was very enjoyable. Spoke with the wine lead (never actually referred to himself as a sommelier, but he may have been one) after - asked him if / when they are going to offer wine flights with dinner - he said that it is in the works.

We did the wine package - 4 premium bottles of wine (roughly, one bottle per meal). You can consume it however you want - they will re-cork between servings - even between meals). They were very good about pouring a glass for lunch and one for dinner (we don't really want more than one glass per meal). Also able to take glass out of dining room, which worked out well for an evening drink we could take into theater / show rooms.

I had just attended a wineGLASS tasting the night before we left, in my hometown. RIEDEL glasses - really a smart set-up. The company has put together a sample set of glasses. You sign up for the tasting, and keep the glasses. The local sponsor produced 4 good bottles of wine (enough for 3 oz per person per glass), which you smell / taste from a standard dining room wine glass, then from the RIEDEL glass. Big difference, would not have thought! I am winding back to the original topic - what does this have to do with the Wonder wine tasting / package? The glasses DO make a difference - and they have a different (STODT?) brand in Palos - but they don't stock them in the non-Palo's dining room. HOWEVER, you can ask your dining room server to GET you a glass from Palos - which they do, willingly, quickly, no questions asked.

My suggestion - if you like wine:
1. choose the premium wine package add-on
2. study the wine list (will give you a sense of price range - may help you make selections - I tried bottles that I probably would not normally order because of price)
3. ask for GOOD wine glasses from Palos
4. know that your bottle can be corked for future use (next meal) or taken back to room
5. feel free to empty the bottle in your glass (good wine glasses can often hold an entire bottle) and take into the evening

Thanks for sharing the pics. I was on the cruise and it brought back good memories.

Great photography.

Very interesting commentary on the wine. I truly enjoy wine (have a nice Cab beside me as I type ;) ) and enjoyed the wine tasting on our most recent cruises quite a bit. We have not done the premium package but will likely splurge on our next trip - so thanks for the tips!! :thumbsup2

With pictures like that, who needs words? Great trip report!!! I feel like I was there!

Not to get too far off topic, but I totally agree with you that the glass makes a difference in the enjoyment of the wine.
I have Riedel glasses and really enjoy them.
I was impressed with the PFTS glass at F&W. It was a Riedel, or at least a good copy.

As usual, great pictures. Makes me want to go on a DCL vacation.

Deb

I almost didn't post any cruise pictures because I didn't think they were all that good - now I am glad I did!

Camera = 2006 Canon EOS Rebel
- Specifically, EOS Rebel XT (350D) 8.2 mg, with 28-135 IS lense (the lens was probably only a factor in the Theater pictures, shot with ISO=1600)

This is a great Camera according to several publications I have read. You can see it in the OP's photos (although, OP seems to be a good photographer as well) Costco has a great price on this camera right now. I don't own one, but it is tempting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter