2006 Disney Dining Plan FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjohnson

DIS Veteran
I have put together an updated version of the dining plan and included some common questions that have been asked over the past year since the plan was introduced last January. After reading this page and your question has not been answered, please post and we will do our best to give you the correct answer. Also if I've forgotten something, please post & i will update the thread.

From the Disney Web Site: (current as of October 20, 2006)

For each night of your package, the Disney Dining Plan includes the following meals for each Guest in your party:
o One (1) Table-Service Meal
Includes appetizer, entree, dessert or full buffet and non-alcoholic beverage as well as gratuity (children ages 3-9 must choose from the children's menu if available; appetizer & dessert not available at breakfast but juice is
o One (1) Counter-Service Meal
Includes entree, dessert or one complete combo meal, and non-alcoholic beverage (children ages 3-9 must choose from the children's menu if available)** dessert not available at breakfast
o One (1) Snack
What Can You Get With Snack Credits?
As of May 2006, Disney has expanded the items available with Dining Plan snack credits. Disney is now generally defining a "snack" on the Disney Dining Plan be an item under $4 (pre-tax), edible, non-alcoholic, non-merchandise and non-souvenir. Some items such as pizza slices are excluded.

Snacks can be redeemed at quick service or snack cart locations only. Quick-service and snack cart locations display a "dining plan" logo on their menus indicating items for which you can use your snack credits.

Among the items now available with Dining Plan snack credits:

ice cream novelty
frozen fruit bar
box of popcorn
12 oz soft drink
20 oz Powerade
24 oz bottle of water
piece of fruit
bottled fruit juice
flavored milk
snack-sized bag of chips
ice cream sundaes
ice cream floats
smoothies
nachos
bakery items
Mickey rice krispy treats

DISers have also been confirming after their trips what snacks they were able to purchase with their credits. An updated list is here:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1109080&page=1&pp=15

If you have something to add that is not listed, please post.

o As an added benefit, you may exchange 2 table-service meals for either 1 Signature Dining Experience at one of our finest restaurants, such as the acclaimed Citricos at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, or for 1 Disney Dinner Show, such as Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue.
o Select Downtown Disney® restaurants may require a surcharge for certain entree items.

Here is the link to the brochure from Disney about the package. It has the most current list of restaurants on the plan.

http://brianandrobbie.com/wdw/MYWDining.pdf

For future planning. Here is a link to the 2007 dining brochure:

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...agespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/07Dining.pdf
For information on all dining packages offered by Disney click this link:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/magicyourway-2006.htm
or try this link:
http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/packages06.htm

Now, for some of the more common questions about the plan.

How much does the plan cost?
It is $37.99 for adults and $10.99 for children 3-9 years old. This is the cost per night of stay and is required for each night of your stay. The price of the plan includes tax & tip.

Do I have to stay onsite?
Yes, you must be staying at a Disney hotel and book a package. You must at least purchase a basic one day ticket, but you do not have to purchase a ticket that matches the number of nights you are staying.

Is this the same as the DDE card I keep reading about?
No, it is not the same thing. DISNEY'S DINING EXPERIENCE is a dining discount program for eligible Florida residents and annual passholders 21 and older good for 20 percent off food and beverage at a number of Walt Disney World Resort hotel and theme park restaurants and lounges.
Here is a great thread that explains DDE: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=819460

How many credits do I receive?
The number of credits you receive is based on the number of nights you are staying at the resort.

How far in advance can I add the dining plan before my arrival?
The dining plan can be added to your package until 5 days before your arrival.

Can I still get my AP or other discounts?
As of today, you must pay rack rate for the room and puchase at least a one day base ticket for each member of your party, unless you book your entire package with AAA.

Can I get the dining plan if I am a DVC owner?
As of April 1, 2006 DVC owners & renters will be able to purchase the dining plan. DVC owners & renters are not required to purchase tickets with the dining plan.

Can I share meals?
Yes, you can share the meals unless they are from a buffet or all you can eat.

Can I pay for my child’s meal and save his/her TS/CS credits for another day?
Yes, you can. You will be given a separate ticket with tax. Double check your receipt. Most Disney establishments will automatically add 18% gratutity.

Can I pay for my child's meal and use their TS credit for another adult meal?
Sorry, meal entitlements can not be shared between adults and children age 3-9.

I've read at some sit down restaurants that a child's appetizer was not included with their meal. Why not?

The brochure states that children must order from the children's menu where available. Also as of 10/06 Disney has revamped the children's menu to more preplated items that include the appetizer

Is the tip really included? What percent do they give the server? Can I tip more?

Yes, the tip and tax are included. As of 2006 the servers receive 18% tip on the total of the bill, so they are willing to show you how to best use the plan because it increases their tip. And yes, you can tip your server additional $$$ and may be a great thing to do for wonderful service.

Do character meals counts as (2) TS credits?

Only CRT is a (2) TS credits all other character meals are (1) TS

What other restaurants require (2) TS credits?

Signature restaurants requiring 2 TS credits:
Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
California Grill (Contemporary Resort)
CRT character breakfast/lunch/dinner with photo package (Magic Kingdom)
Citricos (Grand Floridian)
Flying Fish Café (Boardwalk Inn & Villas)
Hollywood Brown Derby (MGM Studios)
Jiko - The Cooking Place (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)

Dinner Shows requiring 2 TS credits:
Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show (Polynesian)
Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (Fort Wilderness)
Mickey's Backyard Barbeque (Fort Wilderness)
ROOM SERVICE

(Thank you DebIreland for providing this)

Are you only allowed to do (1) one character meals per stay?

No you can go to one everyday of your vacation if you like.

What if I want to attend a character breakfast and have a sit-down meal the same day?
The credits are yours to use however you wish.

Is the package a good deal?
The answer to this question depends on you and your family. You need to determine how much you save doing your trip with and without the plan. For some, it is a better deal to get the discounts, but for others, the food expense is greater than the amount saved. You need to review the list of participating restaurants and try to set up a sample meal plan for your trip. Make sure to include all your snacks, drinks, tax and tip. Try to compare apples to apples. Make out your list showing where you would eat if on the plan. Then compare where you would eat if not on the plan, but were still able to eat what you wanted. Then compare that with how you would eat if Disney did not have this plan at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodferry
Those who are considering using the MYW dining plan and are not sure if it will save them money should look at the menus at www.allearsnet.com to see the prices of what they would normally order to help them decide, this is what we did and that's what convinced us the plan was a good deal for us.

Everything I've seen references ages 3-9 for children. What if there is a child under 3 on the reservation? Do you just pay OOP for them?

Children under 3 are free which means they can share from your plate. Some have changed their childs age so they are eligible for the dining plan but in turn you would have to buy the child a park ticket too.

Are add-ons such as shrimp or sides included in the plan?

No they are not.

Okay what about glow cubes, pizza delivery, mini-bars,souvenir or refillable mugs

These are also not included in the plan & would have to be paid for seperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oybolshoi
we are going to WDW in October - would this be available for use at the food booths in EPCOT for the Food and Wine Festival? I assume if it can that it would be subtracted from the snack credit portion of the plan.

Yes. Use of your snack credits is once again allowed. Here is a list of the items available:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1239133

(Thank you DelawareMike for providing this)

What if I go offsite for the day, do I lose my credits?
No you do not lose them. They are for the entire trip. You could, in theory, save all your snack credits and use them on your last day.

When do my credits expire?
Your credits will expire at midnight the day of your check-out.

Is there a special menu we must order from?
No, you order from the regular restaurant menu.

Isn’t this a lot of food? Is it still cost effective if we do not order/eat the appetizer or dessert?
Each family needs to determine if it is cost effective for them. You do not have to order the appetizer or dessert. If you are too full, then don’t. Many families have reported that they ordered a dessert they could take with them to the park, such as a muffins or cookies.

Doesn’t this plan force me to stick to a schedule?
You can look at it that way, but others like knowing that they have a reservation made at a certain restaurant for a certain time. You can always call and cancel the reservation when you are on site and change your mind.

If I order my meal, but do not get dessert, can I order it later?
It has been reported that when ordering ice cream at counter service locations, you can have your receipt stamped. This allows you to return to the restaurant after you finish your meal so your ice cream isn't a sloopy mess :mickeybar

Do I have to make Priority Seating arrangements for all my Table Service meals?
No you do not HAVE to, but for many/most of the restaurants it is a good idea. If you have your heart set on eating at a special place, make the reservation so you know you have a spot. You can walk up the day you are in the park and put yourself on the walkup list, but you may have a long wait. You also do not have to tell them you are on the dining plan when you make the reservation.

Does the family have to eat together, or can we split up?
The way I understand it, the credits are put on all the cards, so you can split up and eat. They are subtracted the same way as if you were all eating together. So, Mom and daughter can go to one place, and Dad and son can head to another and eat at the same time. Or the kids can ditch the parents and eat what they want. In addition you can ask for a key without the ability to use the credits if you want. So if you want to make sure you see your teenager every now and then you can hold the food hostage.It is just like how you can pick which room keys have charging privledges.

RobinB has created spreadsheet to help you with your planning:

I came up with an Excel Spreadsheet MYM Dining Planner to help me use my MYM Dining Credits. It tracks the total number of Counter Service and Table Service Credits, each meal for every day of the plan (up to 11, the maximum), the restaurants for each meal and how many credits used for each meal. It then calculates how many credits you have remaining so you can adjust your meal schedule to use all your credits.

It's here:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rb/DIS/MYM-Dining-Planner.xls

You are welcome to copy, download or change it for your own use. The spreadsheet is protected so the fields that are calculated wouldn't be accidentally overwritten, but it doesn't have a password so you can unprotect it if you wish.

Here are some more very useful links to help you:

(Thank you again RobinB)

All Disney Restaurants By Credit Type:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rb/DIS/MYW Dining/MYWDiningRestaurants.htm

The second spreadsheet was originally created by Mouse Eared Kiwi. She did 95% of all the leg work looking up the prices, etc. I did a little more research and massaged the data and put it in a different format.

These links are invaluable when choosing restaurants to maximize your dining plan. Great job RobinB & Mouse Eared Kiwi!!!

Restaurants Ranked By Value Per Credit
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rb/DIS/MYW Dining/DisneyDiningRanking.htm
Note: click on "Ranking" tab to see analysis.

Here is a list of limitation/exclusions/observations posted by Disers of the Dining Plan:
(Thank you LewisC & Bicker for your post)

1) Earl of Sandwich--fountain drink and cookie for dessert
2) Tangerine--limits your dessert
3) The Lunching Pad - no dessert
4) Teppanyaki-Lobster & Sushi not available unless paying OOP. These items are now listed seperate from the entrees as "Specialties"
5) Pepper Market- Dessert options with CS only allowed from Tier 1
6) Raglan Road-Dessert "Sampler"

jjohnson said:
Does my child still get an appetizer and dessert if they order from the child’s menu?
Yes they do. If it is available on the children’s menu. (This is a change from 2005 where children were allowed to order adult appetizers.)

Okay what about glow cubes & shakes?

These are also not included in the plan & would have to be paid for seperately.

I am wondering about the child's appetizer. Is this on the Disney website or literature somwhere?

Also - I am disappointed, though not surprised about the shakes. Where did this info come from, and could a milkshake be used in place of dessert, if not a drink? What about other non-alcoholic specialty drinks (smoothees, etc.) - would they be allowed?

Thanks.

the plan says a snack choice could be a "Frozen ice cream novelty". Does this seem to be limited to the Mickey Bars and related items at the little carts, or has anyone had any success using snack credits for such ice cream as an ice cream cone at Mrs. Potts Cupboard, Main Street Ice Cream Parlor, Enchanted Grove, Italy's Gelato Stand, anyplace else with ice cream?

we are going to WDW in October - would this be available for use at the food booths in EPCOT for the Food and Wine Festival? I assume if it can that it would be subtracted from the snack credit portion of the plan.

Thanks.

rwenzel2 said:
I am wondering about the child's appetizer. Is this on the Disney website or literature somwhere?

Also - I am disappointed, though not surprised about the shakes. Where did this info come from, and could a milkshake be used in place of dessert, if not a drink? What about other non-alcoholic specialty drinks (smoothees, etc.) - would they be allowed?

Thanks.

One (1) Table-Service Meal
Includes appetizer, entree, dessert or full buffet and non-alcoholic beverage as well as gratuity (children ages 3-9 must choose from the children's menu if available; dessert not available at breakfast)

When the plan started in January most TS restaurants did not have a childrens appetizer available and as such were offering adult appetizers. They have smarted up & most if not all have created appetizers for children.

Some servers do allow smoothies and other drinks but it's not included in the plan & as such I noted it above. Also it has been posted previous that some have been allowed to replace there dessert with a shake. It's best to ask your server upfront if they will allow it.

oybolshoi said:

Thanks.

Last year they did allow you to use your snack credits at the F&W & I would assume they will again this year but can not be sure.

Thanks for the information - DH and I are seriously considering the plan and this will definitley help.

jjohnson said:
Last year they did allow you to use your snack credits at the F&W & I would assume they will again this year but can not be sure.

...but I gotta ask it. Is there tax charged on the 37.99 a day when you purchase the plan?? Thanks so much. :)

I was at whispering canyon on 02/01/2006 & we were allowed ( the waitress suggested we did not ask) To have the bottomless milkshake or a smoothie for our beverage. I was surprised. We had the milkshakes. They were so thick I only got about 1/2 way thru mine ( which is not a bad thing) :blush:

ETA: Never mind about the DVC thing, I see you have it latter in the faq.

About the frozen treat as a snack item, you can use snack credits anywhere listed in the Disney literature linked to in the OP. If Mrs Potts is listed as a place you can use snack credits it is possible. I am pretty sure last year it was only carts and resort food courts.

RE: Snack items -- when we were there in August they had just started to put little icons next to the snack items that were eligible for the snack credits on the plan. Most, if not all, were items between $2.50 and $3.00.

Hope this helps you to get an idea.

Last year we were able to order a milkshake at one or two places. It NEVER hurts to ask. We were never allowed to use it as dessert though, we were told the computers would not allow that (once, so take that with a grain of salt).

We went pretty early as far as when this plan started. I hope a few people who have gone in the last few weeks can add to this.

:confused3 Were there any changes to the Platinum Dining Plan? The Gold Plan back in 2003 allowed you to have an appetizer with breakfast, just wondering if the Premium & Platinum Plan will allow the appetizer with breakfast? If there are any changes, where can I locate these changes? Do you know of a pdf file for both? :rolleyes1

Thank you for your help !

SnowWhite said:
...but I gotta ask it. Is there tax charged on the 37.99 a day when you purchase the plan?? Thanks so much. :)

The $37.99 includes tax & tip

wilderness gal said:
:confused3 Were there any changes to the Platinum Dining Plan? The Gold Plan back in 2003 allowed you to have an appetizer with breakfast, just wondering if the Premium & Platinum Plan will allow the appetizer with breakfast? If there are any changes, where can I locate these changes? Do you know of a pdf file for both? :rolleyes1

Thank you for your help !

Hopefully someone else will have an answer as I know nothing about the platinum plan. I'm sure you have this link:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/tickets/packageDetail?id=PackageDetailMYWPrem06Page

It doesn't mention any restrictions & with the price they charge you should be able to get dessert with breakfast

Is it necessary to tell the server you are using the dining plan before you order or do you just let them know when you're ready to pay?

Every restaurant we went to that was the first question they asked us. All of our servers were very helpful in reminding us we were entitiled to an appetizer and dessert as well as the entree.

My partner and I would like to treat 4 guests for dinner one evening who are not on the plan. Is this allowed as long as we have the TS credits remaining?

Starting up a new sticky thread is a great idea! Could the OP please try to maintain the OP with the answers to the questions folks ask in response, so new subscribers to the thread really only need to read the OP before asking their "new" question? Thanks!!!

kutchyone said:
My partner and I would like to treat 4 guests for dinner one evening who are not on the plan. Is this allowed as long as we have the TS credits remaining?

Yes it is allowed.

OT-if someone needs/wants to debate right & wrong on this,please start a new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter