2 Days in London - Help Please

Was there a few months ago for a few days.

Tower of London - MUST SEE.
DINNER AT A PUB - Wish I was at one now.
Ride the Tube everywhere - The tube is great - Mind the gap.
Churchill War Rooms - I enjoyed this quite a bit. It was not what I expected.
Ride a ferry from The Tower to the Prime Meridian. The river ride was relaxing.
Take a train out to Windsor Castle - VERY COOL. Much better than looking through the fence at Buckingham.

Was there a few months ago for a few days.

Tower of London - MUST SEE.
DINNER AT A PUB - Wish I was at one now.
Ride the Tube everywhere - The tube is great - Mind the gap.
Churchill War Rooms - I enjoyed this quite a bit. It was not what I expected.
Ride a ferry from The Tower to the Prime Meridian. The river ride was relaxing.
Take a train out to Windsor Castle - VERY COOL. Much better than looking through the fence at Buckingham.

ITA about the Churchill War Rooms. My dd, who was 9 at the time, really enjoyed the war rooms as well. We also LOVED Windsor Castle.

The tube is super easy to use and very convenient.

I also recommend seeing a show. We saw Shrek and while it was enjoyable, I don't remember much about it.

Have a great trip!

Another vote for the Harry Potter WB tour! One tip - I went with a group because I didn't want to mess with transportation, and I felt like I had plenty of time. But there are 3 separate areas of the tour - they said you could spend as much time in any one area as you wanted, but once you moved on to the next area, you couldn't go back to a prior area. I spent a ton of time in the first area and was worried I'd run out of time for the second two areas, so I rushed through and then the second two areas didn't have nearly as much to look at - I wished I'd taken my time more in the first area.

Also, the London Eye (the giant ferris wheel) is awesome and a great way to see a ton of London sights from above.

Finally, depending on the dates you are going, you could check to see if Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is playing either of those nights. Tickets are nearly impossible to get, but they are available on StubHub if you are willing to pay $$$ for them. They also release additional tickets through the "Friday Forty" every Friday. Check the play's website for details - you could get lucky with last minute tickets!

This thread is amazing. Thank you all (even though I didn't start it!). I'll be visiting London for several days over the summer as part of my honeymoon, and while we had a few things we were super interested in (Tower of London, London Eye, Churchill War Rooms, Westminster, etc.), I haven't really found any good tips. The London Walks tours look fabulous!

I love how DISers totally come through, even when you least expect it! :)

I love all the recs for Churchill's War Rooms! I was going to mention that as well, but I wasn't sure it would have the mass appeal of other sites. So glad I'm not alone! As I mentioned in my previous post, we go to London all the time for extended trips, and for some reason I put off doing the War Rooms until recently. I didn't think the kids or I would be into it--couldn't have been more wrong. It was one of the favorite things I've done in London, and my young teens at the time were fascinated. They have a private tour option that sound great, too--or at least they did.

I love all the recs for Churchill's War Rooms! I was going to mention that as well, but I wasn't sure it would have the mass appeal of other sites. So glad I'm not alone! As I mentioned in my previous post, we go to London all the time for extended trips, and for some reason I put off doing the War Rooms until recently. I didn't think the kids or I would be into it--couldn't have been more wrong. It was one of the favorite things I've done in London, and my young teens at the time were fascinated. They have a private tour option that sound great, too--or at least they did.
The Churchill War Rooms have been on my list to do the last 2 times I was in London, and I just ran out of time both times. I'll have to bump it much higher up the list next time!

Sayhello

This summer before our Dover to Barcelona trip we'll be in London for two days. I also appreciate the tips. While I've been multiple times and DF has as well, it will be DH and DM's first trip. Of course everyone wants to do something different so this is super helpful as I try to guide them to their respective interests :)

I'm going to point them all in different directions then head to the Churchill War Rooms. Sounds like they are worth it...I'm with @sayhello, they've been on my radar for a while just prioritized differently. This year will be the year!

To OP, I echo London walks if you have a specific interest, and if you want a Platform 9 3/4 photo-get there early! DD had to wait a year since we just wandered by it and the line was insane! The next year was timed better and the photo is adorable. The Tower is another favorite-I went at opening and followed the ticket seller's advice to head straight for the crown jewels-virtually no lines and I was able to spend some time in several of the buildings all alone-kind of creepy in some places to be honest. I approach all touring of big cities the same-list "must dos" and try to accomplish those, then add on the "nice to dos" as time and temperament allow, realizing that sometimes time is not on your side.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm starting to compile a list of 'must-dos" and then some nice to dos if possible. Will probably avoid most of the Harry Potter attractions as my kids have passed that stage in life. Now I've got to figure out the difference in a National Rail pass and an oyster card. Any more hotel recs?

We really love Bailey's Hotel which is right across the street from the Gloucester Rd tube station. The hotel is lovely, the breakfast is excellent, and the location is perfect.

We were just in London over Christmas and are fairly frequent visitors. I think the Tower of London falls in to the "not to be missed" category. Please take the actual tour with a yeoman warder. It is included in the price of admission. According to my daughter, all museums in London are now free, however there may be charges for special exhibits. We are great fans of the V & A (Victoria and Albert museum) and the British.

The first time we went to London, we bought tickets for the hop on hop off bus tour. It was a very convenient way to get to almost all of the sights without wasting too much time getting lost and was a great way to get oriented. Speaking of which, the only map of London that does much good is the A to Z (zed) map. It is a paperback book. They print some small versions and it comes in VERY useful.

I have visited London >50 times because my family lives there. It's safe to say I have done almost every single thing you can do there by now. If you only have 2 days I'd say stick to what those above said- Tower of London, British Museum, Churchill war rooms... Only thing I'd say is that if you're looking to visit a castle there are MANY more than just Windsor (Dover, Leeds, etc). And the London Eye is a tourist trap waste of money but hey thats just my opinion. You could be spending 3 hours of your day waiting in line and riding that stupid thing when you're time could be spent walking through Hyde Park or visiting Kensington palace. If you want to see a show, go see the Mousetrap. It's the longest running show in the world and I just highly recommend. Hope you have a great time!

Also- please note not all museums are free in London. A lot of them are- but not all- just check before you go!

If you *do* want to do the London Eye (personally, I really enjoyed it!) you can purchase "Fast Track" tickets (ie, fastpasses) with an exact time on them to "skip the line". It's not cheap, but worth it if it's something you really want to do.

https://www.londoneye.com/tickets-and-prices/

Sayhello

Thanks for all the replies. I'm starting to compile a list of 'must-dos" and then some nice to dos if possible. Will probably avoid most of the Harry Potter attractions as my kids have passed that stage in life. Now I've got to figure out the difference in a National Rail pass and an oyster card. Any more hotel recs?

If you're just traveling within London, all you need is an Oyster (subway) card.

Something I forgot to mention is this- you can get just as good views for much better value at places other than the eye. You can take the stairs to the very top and walk outside of St. Pauls Cathedral- which I'd recommend as it's the cheapest and there's no glass or anything in your way for photos. Or there is the sky garden at the top of the walkie-talkie building. Or go eat at the Duck & Waffle or Sushi Samba at the top of Heron tower (need reservations for that)

I've stayed at the Park Plaza County Hall, and the Park Plaza Sherlock Holmes.

The County Hall is really well located, just a short walk away from the London Eye, and across the bridge from the Houses of Parliament & Big Ben. It's also easy walking distance from Waterloo Station. Nice, clean, modern rooms, relatively reasonably priced for London.

The Sherlock Holmes is on Baker Street (surprise, surprise!) in Marylebone. It's also well located, because it's easy walking distance to the Baker Street Tube Station, which connects to multiple lines. It's also easy walking distance to Madame Tussauds' Wax Museum, and Selfridge's Department Store. It has a Pret a Manger right next door as well as a Tesco's (drug store/convenience store). LOADS of character, but because it's made up of 3 buildings that were connected as one hotel, the rooms are all configured VERY differently, so you'd need to make sure you got one of the rooms configured to handle a family. Also not horridly expensive for London.

The Oyster Card is mostly for local stuff around London such as the Tube, the bus, some local trains and the Thames Clipper, which is a water ferry that goes up & down the Thames. The Thames Clipper is a nice way to get from place to place on the Thames, like from the Big Ben area to St. Paul's Cathedral. Plus, you get a really nice view of London from the boat, and you can sit for a bit. :) The Oyster Card is reloadable at any Tube station, and you can get a refund of whatever is left on it when you leave. There's also a daily cap on how much you spend on the card, after which, you aren't charged any more. I'm not sure what that cap is.

Sayhello

Last edited:
My 16 year old Harry Potter lover and I were just in London. tick We were there for 8 nights. We prepurchased tickets for the earliest tour we could get at WB. We loved every minute of it and spent 6 hours there. That evening we had dinner and walked around Covent Garden and that area. Some cool street performers. We had no problem getting to and from WB on the train on our own. Do a Beefeaters tour at Tower of London first thing. You can see the London Bridge from there also. From there we went (via walking and tube) to St. Pauls (and climbed to the top of the dome)-- beautiful church, beautiful views and very cool whispering in the dome. The Milenium Bridge is right there if I am recalling correctly. You could walk across and then down to London Eye. We ended that day at Winston Churchill War Rooms. But even during the summer it closed around 6:00. Amazing though. Big Ben is very close to that.

We also went out to Oxford one day. It took us most of the day to see all the HP spots and just enjoy the city. Such a beautiful city. With only two days though, you are making a choice between London and Oxford. WB studios will take about 3/4 of a day.

We also saw the Cursed Child. Tickets were purchased a year in advance. It is two plays so not really possible for you unless you sacrifice one full day or two nights.

If there is no way to add days to your trip, you may want to make a list of what is a priority to you (and don't listen to those who say its not worth the time if you really want to do ). Then try and group them geographically to see what is actually doable during opening hours.

Last edited:
Sorry for all the Hp stuff-- I thought I read that is what you wanted to do! Oh well, hopefully it helps someone.

.....Just realized it was the subsquent poster, not the OP, that I was responding to. Sorry about that.

We stayed at the Trafalgar. Very central location. Clean and decent hotel. Helpful Concierge. Reasonable rates. Great rooftop bar. We walked from there to:

Marble Arches
Buckingham Palace and Gardens
St James Park
New Hyde Park (but a hike!)
Trafalgar Square
Covent Garden
War Rooms
Big Ben
Westminster Abby
London Eye
Tate Modern
Shaftesbury Ave
China town (I don't know if that's what it is called there, but it was really cool)

Also tube stop is right there!

Last edited:
I don't know if they still offer it, but see if you can get tickets for the "Ceremony of the Keys" at the Tower of London. It was a unique experience -- and it was FREE!

I don't know if they still offer it, but see if you can get tickets for the "Ceremony of the Keys" at the Tower of London. It was a unique experience -- and it was FREE!

Unfortunately you have to book over a year in advance for that unless you are part of a special group that is invited like my mother was. They are currently sold out until Jan 2018. But yes, it is really cool!!

One other suggestion. If an afternoon tea interests you or the kids-- the Berkely in London had an amazing tea. We had been to the British Museum that morning, took the tube up and had the tea. Walked through Hyde Park (Peter Pan statue, Princess Diana Fountain, swimming, swan boats, black swans and other cool birds).

I don't even like tea (but champagne is a nice offered alternative:flower:).! Very very fun. Pastries and food were beautiful and delicious!

http://m.the-berkeley.co.uk/fashion-afternoon-tea/

Also, London has a discounted same day ticket place for shows. We had ours, so we did not try it. But lots of people recommend if you are flexible about what show you wanted.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter