17 Days and I should be excited but........

yngsj

Mouseketeer
My daughter and I are leaving in 17 days for WDW. It has been 9 years since our last visit and we have been wanting to come back for so long but it has been hard to get away for several days at a time so we have been visiting DL since it's a 4 hr. drive. Now I'm not even excited for the trip because.....

1) This is the first trip without my dh and ds
2) We have always rented a car and this will be my first time using Disney transportation
3) We usually go in Sept. or Oct. when it's warm and I hate being cold.
4) my daughter is vegan and I hate trying to find somewhere and something she will eat.

Is there any info you could give me that would ease my fears and help me get excited?

1) what an opportunuty to bond with your daughter. Especially if she's a teen, this is your chance to start connecting with her as her friend as well as her mother. This would never happen with the guys along.

2) Disney transportation is a breeze. The bus destinations are clearly labelled on the front and the side. Being on a bus with strangers is no different than waiting in line for a ride with them.

3) The weather should be decent.

4) Post a query on the dining board for restaurants with good vegan options.

And finally, don't worry too much. You are going to Disney World!

My mom and I have been going on trips together for the last 13 years. Adding family members is nice, but so weird. Disney is our special place and maybe the same thing can happen to you. WDW transportation is the absolute best. No car, no worries. It's most likely going to be warm enough. Florida looks like its going to have highs in the 80s for the next few days. If not that, then it should be mid-70s. Plenty decent enough.

My dd is a vegetarian (a picky vegetarian....) so it's been difficult finding things other than cheese pizza or quesidillas on the menu that she will eat. She will eat veggie burgers, but doesn't like all kinds of veggie burgers. I am going to do a grocery order and make sure we have things in the room I know she will eat and stuff we can pack for the park for her. That way I don't have to worry about her not getting her proper nutrition and won't go nuts if she only orders fries when we're at a restaurant or lives off funnel cakes and starbucks smoothies! On the plus side, her being a vegetarian is saving us some money! Can't justify the price of the buffets when I know she won't eat much of what's offered.

I see you will be there for NYE - that in itself is exciting if you get a chance to see MK or Epcot fireworks that night. Will be a great memory and bonding experience for you and your dd. We'll be there the day after and the long range forecast is 70's, which is great for us! (But it's -30 with the windchill here last couple of days...so anything is better!)

Sorry to hear about your post. I have little to offer in advice, as 3 of the 4 situations you list I have never encountered. The only one I have encountered is travelling to WDW in winter. First, maybe you'll luck out and get a warm spell. Last year, it was in the low-mid 80's for both our Christmas trip and Presidents Day weekend trip. Nights were cooler, but daytimes were nice and warm. Even if not, unless they have an unusual cold front, it won't be literally freezing temps.

The only other advice I have is simple, its WDW!!! I get excited no matter what...even on those trips we made when we drove 8 hours to get there, stayed just 3 days and drove 8 hours home. I get so excited to go for any trip there. I'm counting down the days until our next trip already, and we're still 6+ months out.

Enjoy the time alone with your daughter, I am one of 6 and the only girl so alone time with my Mama was precious to both of us.
Disney transportation is easy, not always quick but easy. I actually drive down, always have, and I park my car and don't get in it again unless it's to change resorts on split stays or when it's time to leave.
Unless you are from the extreme south, the weather will most likely be warmer than where you are from. I'm from north Georgia and it's always warmer than here. I think they have been have warmer temps. than normal.
I'm not vegan but I think every single restaurant at WDW, QS and TS has at least one vegen offering so just ask. It shouldn't be a problem and if you are eating at a TS restaurant, note it on your ADR and most likely you are going to have a chef come out and talk to you.

It's WDW so most importantly just let those worries go, if you go in thinking you aren't going to enjoy it, you probably won't.

Enjoy the time alone with your daughter, I am one of 6 and the only girl so alone time with my Mama was precious to both of us.
Disney transportation is easy, not always quick but easy. I actually drive down, always have, and I park my car and don't get in it again unless it's to change resorts on split stays or when it's time to leave.
Unless you are from the extreme south, the weather will most likely be warmer than where you are from. I'm from north Georgia and it's always warmer than here. I think they have been have warmer temps. than normal.
I'm not vegan but I think every single restaurant at WDW, QS and TS has at least one vegen offering so just ask. It shouldn't be a problem and if you are eating at a TS restaurant, note it on your ADR and most likely you are going to have a chef come out and talk to you.

It's WDW so most importantly just let those worries go, if you go in thinking you aren't going to enjoy it, you probably won't.

My DD is 17 and a senior this year and I'm excited to spend time with her but I associate WDW with family so I would prefer the whole family be there. We go to DL at least twice a year just the two of us. I'm from Vegas and 6 months out of the year we are over a 100 degrees and we only have 8 weeks a year where it's under 70 so I'm very accustomed to hot weather.

Thank you everyone for your post and I'm sure I will get more excited as it gets even closer. I've canceled this trip twice already. We were supposed to go in June and then it was Aug. so I promised my daughter I wasn't backing out this time.

My DD is 17 and a senior this year and I'm excited to spend time with her but I associate WDW with family so I would prefer the whole family be there. We go to DL at least twice a year just the two of us. I'm from Vegas and 6 months out of the year we are over a 100 degrees and we only have 8 weeks a year where it's under 70 so I'm very accustomed to hot weather.

Thank you everyone for your post and I'm sure I will get more excited as it gets even closer. I've canceled this trip twice already. We were supposed to go in June and then it was Aug. so I promised my daughter I wasn't backing out this time.

I wish my mom would have been cool enough to take me to Disney, great job mom! Also, you will learn things about her you don't know and wouldn't have known without this trip... Enjoy it!

I know Disney is a full family affair, but be happy your dd wants to spend time with you alone. The vegan thing is going to be fine! Especially at Disney.

Oh and one more thing.. She will remember this trip for her lifetime! Make some memories that only both of you share!

Enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter