16 Day Spring Break! I'm An Adult, I Do What I Want ;) *Update 8/17 Complete!

We purchased tickets ahead of time for the opening day of Batman v Superman and to say I was excited was an understatement. We parked at SSR and high tailed it over to AMC. At least it was still early enough that it wasn't crowded.

Rob and I LOVED the movie! Bunch a haters not liking that movie. :laughing:

Then we went over to Ghirardelli for one last sundae.

Sea salt caramel with butter pecan for me. Had to end with my fav.

Rob got the hot fudge brownie sundae with cookies 'n' cream ice cream.

By the time we left Ghirardelli the sky was looking pretty scary so we moved our butts back to the room.

We made it back to the room just in time and got to watch the storm roll in from our balcony.

It poured once again and our plans got all jumbled up. It was our last opportunity to do MK before we left, and we hadn't done a lot of the rides in there and we had FPs but it was pouring during that time, so we waited a little longer, changed our FP times around and sadly had to cancel plans to meet up with the fabulous Joh, aka wilmabride, at Jock Lindsey's.

We got in some serious ride time at MK finally since the rain drove people out of the park and it was late in the evening by the time we got back to the hotel. We decided to eat somewhere we hadn't been in awhile. Turf Club!

This used to be a top five favorite years ago when they first opened, but the menu hasn't thrilled us in awhile. I do absolutely love the atmosphere here though. So laid back and out of the way. And it reminds me of the first few trips Rob and I took to WDW together. Oh the memories.

The hall leading back to the restaurant has these cute framed jockey jackets.

The menu.

Once we got back there we were shocked to discover it was an hour wait. What?! There is never a wait here. Crazy. Well, we'll grab a drink.

Rob had a Millionaire's Margarita.

And I had a Travers Stakes.

It took the full hour but finally we got a table. In a tiny corner. Surrounded by a huge party at a big table of loud people. So much for the atmosphere.

They brought out rolls and butter to start, which were very good.

Rob had the French Onion Soup which he enjoyed.

I had the Fried Calamari and Pepperoncini with roasted garlic mayonnaise and spicy marinara sauce. The calamari at Mama Melrose was better, but this was very good.

For our entrees Rob had the Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with mushroom risotto and haricot verts. He very much enjoyed this.

I had the Turf Club Pasta. Fettucine with Shrimp, Garlic, and fresh Vegetables tossed in a Spicy Italian Herb-infused Olive Oil. The veggies in this were so flavorful and there was lots of shrimp. I really enjoyed it.

I was intrigued by dessert, but I was too full.

Turf Club won us back very very slightly. I would go back again in a trip or two. Service was okay and the food was good, but it didn't wow us enough to turn it back into a must do.

And just like that, we are at our final sleep of the trip before we leave the next morning. It goes by so fast.

Last edited:
The next morning we were packed and ready to go bright and early. Sad face for leaving the resort.

I made the quick drive over to Poly where they had just that day instituted a new parking pass for those of us driving in for ADRs.

Parking here is awful at times, so hopefully this helps.

Then it was time for breakfast at our favorite spot. Going out with a bang at Kona Cafe.

Here is a look at the breakfast menu.

Rob went with the Steak and Eggs.

I couldn't resist. Had to get one final Samoan.

Successful final meal!

Then I had to stop by Kona Island because the pastries here are out of this world.

We took all of the cheese pinwheel and chocolate croissants that were left. Some of which we enjoyed on the car ride home.

It was the day before Easter and they had the cutest baskets out for sale. I wanted one and was sad we wouldn't be there on Easter Sunday.

Now it was time to say goodbye to our true home and head back to our fake home in Jersey. We had a long car ride, which was actually one of the best rides home we have had in awhile. No major traffic issues or craziness. We even got home in time to order a pizza from our favorite place before they closed.

Being home after that drive and enjoying a pizza while catching up on the tv shows we missed while we were gone was like heaven.

But at least we have some of the magic at home with us. Check out the cup collection we brought back.

And look at all these movie tickets! We had an awesome trip!

Thanks everyone for reading along and hanging in with me this whole time! I will be back again in October for a F&W report that should be pretty epic. See you then!

Awesome! So you're not too much further past the exit for Great Adventure. Yay Jersey!

It takes about 45 minutes to get there from here. I wouldn't take the Turnpike. Too far out of the way. We take Route 9 to get there. I live in Sayreville so it is much more direct. (yes same town Jon Bon Jovi is from. My next door neighbor dated him)

Turf Club looks awesome. Will have to try it next time we are at SSR and then head to a park.

I love that you saved all your ticket stubs! Do you do that every trip?

I have never noticed that cheese pinwheel pastry but it looks very interesting :scratchin Are the pastries at Kona Island actually better than elsewhere on property, or do you just like getting them there for some reason? Curious!

Loved your report and I'll be on the lookout for your Oct. one!

Great end to your trip! Can't think of a better way to go out than some Kona breakfast! Thanks as always for making me infinitely hungry and wishing we had more time in Disney!

Great report! I'm wondering where you picked up the glass with the measurements? Jock Lindsay's?

It was neat to see your report of the Turf Club because we live not far from Saratoga and head to the track every summer. I love seeing the real Saratoga Springs references at SSR. We also live about an hour from Brewery Ommegang, have you been there along the way on your wine tours?

I'm so excited that we have reservations at Captain's Grille for breakfast--I don't think we would have planned for that if it hadn't been for your reports. Everything looks delicious!

What a haul of souvenir glasses! Good thing you drove.. Those would be hard to pack in checked baggage. Love how passionate you guys are about movies - putting on my list to see at least one there sometime. Maybe for the Saratoga/Disney Springs weekend you've inspired!

So happy you'll be returning soon!!!

Maybe you can answer a question for me? Your trip report has inspired me to go to captains grille for the first time. I'm very interested in the pasta dish you tried but I'm wondering about the fennel. I've always had an aversion to that taste (licorice, anise, springerlies, caraway). Is it a powerful flavor in this dish? Are there actual seeds in it or do they use a powder? If you say it's prominent in the dish is it something I can ask them to leave off? Or is that what made the dish for you?

Thanks so much for a great report! I loved reading along and I'm so glad you and Rob had such a good time. That is a truly impressive collection of movie ticket stubs!! :worship:

Looking forward to following along on your next dining report!

Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with mushroom risotto and haricot verts. He very much enjoyed this.

I'm such a sucker for risotto and this looks delicious.

And look at all these movie tickets! We had an awesome trip!

WOAH! I think you watched more movies during your vacation than I do during an entire year. Wow!

Thanks so much for your reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed them :)

I just have to share with you how much I LOVE the way you do Disney!!! I love the spontaneity and not needing to plan every minute! And, there is SO much more to do at Disney than constant rides and spending the entire day in the same park or any park! On one trip I did, I got to the end and realized I had only done 3 rides, but it was such a full trip experience! So much more to do at the resorts and DTD, etc....... Looking forward to more of your reports! Great job!

Awesome as always! I just added Captain's Grill breakfast to our October plans. Hoping we will actually make it there! I grew up near Saratoga Springs, NY so I have wanted to get to Turf Club for a while to see if it feels like "home". Haven't made it yet! The French Onion soup looks pretty good!

58 days til our trip! We have so many F&W meals & events planned that we won't get to as many 'real' restaurants as I would like. I have to keep telling myself that this isn't the last time I will be going to WDW! I am pretty sure we will upgrade to annual passes for next year.

I, too, love the way you do Disney. I don't know if I could be as spontaneous and unplanned! Maybe one time I will try going with no (or minimal) plans!

Thanks for the great report. I've enjoyed all the dining fun along with you.

I have enjoyed each and every post of your report! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you have a fabulous trip in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter