• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

11/23 COMPLETE! Course by Course, One By One...A 2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Trip Report!

Yay! Your outfit is even cuter on! Love the pics...spoilers included! I love Christmas and wish I had signed up for the 5K! As a newbie and focused on getting registered for the half it never crossed my mind. Love the medal!

Every weekend there seems to be bus problems somewhere. That's nice that the person there was very apologetic and kept calling for a bus though.

So cool that they had the Tree projections going. AK is my favorite park so I can't wait to see it at night.

The RoL photos are all over the place since the 5K. The floats have been out during the day time testing so I can see why they wouldn't hide them.

Love the medal, congrats!

Loving this Trip report!

Love the "I did it" shirts.

Too bad about Tiffin's-sorry!

Yeah-nice race outfit but I'm definitely feeling you on the humidity! We are finally getting some cooler weather minus humidity and it is so NICE!

Can't wait for more.

Your 5K outfit looks amazing in all the photos! Running through AK was the highlight of the weekend for me (during the 1/2 though) so I'm jealous you got to do it TWICE!!! I wish they'd had Donald and Goofy out during the 1/2 too, so lucky you for getting at least 1 of those shots. Love the 5K medal too, it is so sweet.

Joining in!! When I registered for the PHM a few months ago, I went searching for runDisney TRs, and caught up on all of yours -- so its fun to catch one "live" :-)

We rented points and did a night at Poly for our trip earlier this year -- and I liked it a lot, esp the bathroom set-up. Such good food and drink options too!

I'm planning an afternoon trip to the Expo, so glad to see it shouldn't be a madhouse! Do they do ornaments for all races? I'd love a PHM one!

Sorry to hear about Tiffins -- for $54 that is definitely not acceptable. Crazy!

What a fun 5K course! AK is probably my favorite park -- so I feel like I may not be one-and-done with runDisney after the PHM, I may be tempted to make wine and dine a future goal!!

Excellent 5K recap. The outfit is perfect, but yeah, I would have been dying in those kinds of temps with that long sleeve shirt and the hat. So hail to you for suffering for your art. :D

AK at night looks fantastic. I cannot believe you got scolded for taking pictures of those floats when they were right out in the open like that. Whatever, Disney. Is it really supposed to be that top secret?

The running shots you got look great, but it's the Mickey and Minnie shot at the end for the WIN! Perfection right there. The medal is super cute and I'm so jealous of that Christmas plaid ribbon. What a great idea for that ribbon.

Great report! I also ran this 5K, except being from Florida, it was a chilly morning for me! Congrats on your race, can't wait to read about the remainder of the weekend.

oh man LOL at the ROL spoilers...AWESOME costume, awesome costumes on the characters too...DANG IT that I said "no way Jose" to W&D...this 5K looks so awesome. I always wanted to do the 1/2 at night and after party but when it changed that changed my justification. Not to mention that we went last year right after Thanksgiving...and with the Osborne Lights' last year fiasco, it was IN.SANELY. CROWDED. I'm still kind of not over that lol
I LOVE your pictures and updates. Way to go lady! :)

ETA: Oh my gosh also, I've never seen the nachos at WDW lol only DLR races! ha!!

Looks like a fun time at the 5K! I love your Mickey and Minnie picture. And I was so jealous of everyone with that 5K medal - so adorable. :lovestruc And I can't believe a CM got mad at you for taking a picture of the Rivers of Light float. They totally should block it off if they want to keep it "secret." I'm getting really anxious about that show and wonder if it will ever actually debut.

How cool that you got to see @Keels! Thanks to her for volunteering!
Thanks! And hey - congrats on finishing the half! :yay:

That's pretty rude that they blocked your view for FoF! I agree that not all Cubs fans are bad, but come on! :sad2: Probably a good call to hide out with the Monsters. Once we figured out what was happening we were OUTTA THERE!
Thanks! I had so much fun at both races for the challenge, even though the half had limited park time and I didn't stop for characters. But the 10K could not have been more perfect - being in Epcot and the Boardwalk was amazing. Just being there and getting another shot a year after the terrible letdown and disappointment of 2015 had me on such a high. So I feel fulfilled now (although I still know I want to go back for another race weekend as soon as possible, haha!) Either coast, but I'd really love to do Disneyland.

Yeah, we wonder whether they spoke English and maybe they didn't fully understand us. I don't know. But still, rude! And my Dad actually ended up leaving for a bit after the parade too because he couldn't stand it. My sisters and I stayed though since it wouldn't have been worth it for me to leave and come back. I wanted to see the castle lighting but then planned to leave right after since the half was the next day.

Congrats on your 5K. You have some really great pictures there-- your outfit couldn't have been more perfect! (Well I guess since you had to suffer in the heat, there is some room for improvement haha). I'm not surprised that Mickey and Minnie complimented your sweater though, seriously so cute!

Just wanted to say thanks for writing your trip reports. I enjoy reading them very much. Your 2014 trip report for the Jingle Jungle 5K helped me to know what to expect for my first runDisney race last year. Can't wait to hear more about this trip as my husband and I will be doing the Wine and Dine Race Weekend next year.
Thanks again!!!

Yay! Your outfit is even cuter on! Love the pics...spoilers included! I love Christmas and wish I had signed up for the 5K! As a newbie and focused on getting registered for the half it never crossed my mind. Love the medal!
It's a fun 5K, and the only one at WDW that uses this course. I love running through Animal Kingdom, and I love Christmas, so it's a winner for me. :)
Every weekend there seems to be bus problems somewhere. That's nice that the person there was very apologetic and kept calling for a bus though.
Yeah, I don't understand why they still have issues since they do multiple race weekends each year. I didn't have any problems after the 5, but other people did.
So cool that they had the Tree projections going. AK is my favorite park so I can't wait to see it at night.
It was very cool to be there at night/in the dark. :)
The RoL photos are all over the place since the 5K. The floats have been out during the day time testing so I can see why they wouldn't hide them.
Well...either hide them or don't scold people for taking pictures, Cast Members! :rolleyes2
Love the medal, congrats!
Thanks! :)
Loving this Trip report!
Thanks!
Love the "I did it" shirts.
Me too, I love that they have the course maps on the back.
Too bad about Tiffin's-sorry!
Eh, I had to try it once to know. :)
Yeah-nice race outfit but I'm definitely feeling you on the humidity! We are finally getting some cooler weather minus humidity and it is so NICE!

Can't wait for more.
Were getting the cold weather, too - in the 30s by Sunday! :eek:
Your 5K outfit looks amazing in all the photos! Running through AK was the highlight of the weekend for me (during the 1/2 though) so I'm jealous you got to do it TWICE!!! I wish they'd had Donald and Goofy out during the 1/2 too, so lucky you for getting at least 1 of those shots. Love the 5K medal too, it is so sweet.
Thanks! I love running through AK, it is so serene and peaceful there!

I feel like they have the "fab 5" out less and less during races, which is not a trend I am a fan of. I agree, the 5K medal is pretty adorable.
Joining in!! When I registered for the PHM a few months ago, I went searching for runDisney TRs, and caught up on all of yours -- so its fun to catch one "live" :-)
:wave: thanks for following along!!
We rented points and did a night at Poly for our trip earlier this year -- and I liked it a lot, esp the bathroom set-up. Such good food and drink options too!
LOVE the bathroom set-up, that was so great! I agree about the great food and drink options, we're used to staying at the Boardwalk, so it was nice to actually have the food *in* the hotel.
I'm planning an afternoon trip to the Expo, so glad to see it shouldn't be a madhouse! Do they do ornaments for all races? I'd love a PHM one!
I don't know about the ornaments, this is the first time I have seen one at an expo that was race-specific! I hope they keep doing them!
Sorry to hear about Tiffins -- for $54 that is definitely not acceptable. Crazy!
I have to correct myself on the price of the meal - it was $53, not $54.
What a fun 5K course! AK is probably my favorite park -- so I feel like I may not be one-and-done with runDisney after the PHM, I may be tempted to make wine and dine a future goal!!
OR - you could run the marathon, which also goes through AK!! :eek: ;)
Excellent 5K recap. The outfit is perfect, but yeah, I would have been dying in those kinds of temps with that long sleeve shirt and the hat. So hail to you for suffering for your art. :D
And did you see how the Christmas Sweater vest came out right after?! Wahhhh!! That would have been perfect!
AK at night looks fantastic. I cannot believe you got scolded for taking pictures of those floats when they were right out in the open like that. Whatever, Disney. Is it really supposed to be that top secret?
I know, right?? I mean, everyone has already seen them, and it was like they put them there to present them to us or something - maybe they couldn't have covered them up, but they probably could have turned the lights off if they really wanted to keep it a secret! :rolleyes2
The running shots you got look great, but it's the Mickey and Minnie shot at the end for the WIN! Perfection right there. The medal is super cute and I'm so jealous of that Christmas plaid ribbon. What a great idea for that ribbon.
GAH, I know! I love it so much!!

They really knocked it out of the park with the 5K medal, it's awesome!

Great report! I also ran this 5K, except being from Florida, it was a chilly morning for me! Congrats on your race, can't wait to read about the remainder of the weekend.
Thanks, congrats on running the 5K!! The weather really was not that bad, probably the best we could have hoped for, all things considered. :)
oh man LOL at the ROL spoilers...AWESOME costume, awesome costumes on the characters too...DANG IT that I said "no way Jose" to W&D...this 5K looks so awesome. I always wanted to do the 1/2 at night and after party but when it changed that changed my justification. Not to mention that we went last year right after Thanksgiving...and with the Osborne Lights' last year fiasco, it was IN.SANELY. CROWDED. I'm still kind of not over that lol
Well, I'm still not over them changing the race from night to day! WAHH!
I LOVE your pictures and updates. Way to go lady! :)
Thank you! :teeth: I am happy with the pictures, too!!
ETA: Oh my gosh also, I've never seen the nachos at WDW lol only DLR races! ha!!
OMG those SO hit the spot after the races. So good!
I was so happy to see you out there looking amazeballs!!
:yay: I'm really interested to hear more about volunteering!! What secrets do you know now?!
Looks like a fun time at the 5K! I love your Mickey and Minnie picture. And I was so jealous of everyone with that 5K medal - so adorable. :lovestruc And I can't believe a CM got mad at you for taking a picture of the Rivers of Light float. They totally should block it off if they want to keep it "secret." I'm getting really anxious about that show and wonder if it will ever actually debut.
Ugh, I know. I think it bothered me because I am SO not a rule breaker. Oh well!

I was hoping we'd be able to see soft openings when we were there, guess no!
How cool that you got to see @Keels! Thanks to her for volunteering!
Definitely a highlight of the 5K! :)
Thanks! I had so much fun at both races for the challenge, even though the half had limited park time and I didn't stop for characters. But the 10K could not have been more perfect - being in Epcot and the Boardwalk was amazing. Just being there and getting another shot a year after the terrible letdown and disappointment of 2015 had me on such a high. So I feel fulfilled now (although I still know I want to go back for another race weekend as soon as possible, haha!) Either coast, but I'd really love to do Disneyland.
Awesome, glad you had fun! I agree, the 10K course was really great - I liked that course and the 5K course way better than the half course.

The Disneyland races are very different - they're easier because you don't have to do the bus stuff (assuming you stay near property), but the half marathon courses are way less park time. The 10K courses at Disneyland are AMAZING!
Yeah, we wonder whether they spoke English and maybe they didn't fully understand us. I don't know. But still, rude! And my Dad actually ended up leaving for a bit after the parade too because he couldn't stand it. My sisters and I stayed though since it wouldn't have been worth it for me to leave and come back. I wanted to see the castle lighting but then planned to leave right after since the half was the next day.
People are so rude!! I hope you guys got to "properly" watch the parade later in the week!
Congrats on your 5K. You have some really great pictures there-- your outfit couldn't have been more perfect! (Well I guess since you had to suffer in the heat, there is some room for improvement haha). I'm not surprised that Mickey and Minnie complimented your sweater though, seriously so cute!
Thanks! Yeah, of course the week after I got home I received another Christmas sweater in the mail - a sleeveless one! That would have been super perfect.
Just wanted to say thanks for writing your trip reports. I enjoy reading them very much. Your 2014 trip report for the Jingle Jungle 5K helped me to know what to expect for my first runDisney race last year. Can't wait to hear more about this trip as my husband and I will be doing the Wine and Dine Race Weekend next year.
Thanks again!!!
Oh great, I'm glad it helped. :) Thanks for continuing to read, I really enjoy writing them! :yay:

Great weekend to go with the husband, Food & Wine is a great "date"!

Ok, I wrote notes, cause I always forget what I wanted to say after binging a bunch of your updates :)

I'm feeling better about my decision to fly into Tink on Friday instead of Thursday. You make excellent points about the more relaxed expo feeling when not in a mad rush to be first ones in there. Hopefully they spell my pre-order pin and jacket right though ACK!

That yogurt dish at tiffins is right up my hubby's ally. Spicy + yogurt + meat is like his fave combo. I'm more of a spicy-wimp.

I totally forgot nighttime safaris were a new thing. I think maybe since AK gets so hot, that when we go in the Fall, I will schedule our partial day to go into the night.

FYI: you would look really good with purple hair. (RE your Trader Sam's pic)
Did you buy the souvenir cup? We have a place in Chicago kind of like that and so I have a few tiki cups at home now. My sis & I really want to hit up the DL version in May.

SNOAP! I Lol'd and I'm stealing that term.

Holiday 5k = I WANT TO DO THAT! (and I probably will in 2017 EEEE!)
The Mice pic reminds me of Wilson from Home Improvement
Pitch black running under twinkle lights is on the bucket list now...even if its just for a short lil while.
That medal is my favorite thing and so BIG! Really hope next years is as nice.

I'm so jealous that you got to meet Lumiere. Love the picture!

What is up with runDisney screwing up merchandise/whatever for inaugural events? There was the 10K thing a few years ago, some mistakes on the Dark Side pins (they had the wrong date or something), and now this ... what is going on with them?

We saw the medals in person a few weeks ago (Beth and I went to the NYC marathon expo) and I really loved the 10K medal! The challenge medal is pretty cool too. But runDisney medals are getting so big ... these medals seemed a lot bigger than the ones I have!

I'm glad to hear that going to the expo in the afternoon worked out for you! There's a reason I recommend it so much ... it's so much less stressful.

Sorry to hear about the bus problems ... that's something you don't want to deal with on race day. At least you made it to the race, which is all that matters.

I'm kinda laughing at your sunglasses situation. When the sun doesn't come up until after 7 ... they're probably not entirely necessary. (Although I probably shouldn't make fun, since I've been known to wear my sunglasses for entire runDisney races, even when it's still dark out)

Illegal Rivers of Light picture ... awesome. I like the look of the float ... now if only they could actually get the show operational...

Sounds like a fun race! I love all of your character pictures ... and your outfit is pretty awesome too :)

Ok, I wrote notes, cause I always forget what I wanted to say after binging a bunch of your updates :)
Wow, a+ effort on your part!!
I'm feeling better about my decision to fly into Tink on Friday instead of Thursday. You make excellent points about the more relaxed expo feeling when not in a mad rush to be first ones in there. Hopefully they spell my pre-order pin and jacket right though ACK!
Tink expo is really different too because the official merch area is smaller...in some ways I think the way Disneyland does their expos is better because they let people into the official merch area in small groups (they have to since there's not as much space).

I can't help you with the spelling...apparently that's a crapshoot with runDisney anymore!
That yogurt dish at tiffins is right up my hubby's ally. Spicy + yogurt + meat is like his fave combo. I'm more of a spicy-wimp.
Yes, he should definitely try that one and not the beef one!
I totally forgot nighttime safaris were a new thing. I think maybe since AK gets so hot, that when we go in the Fall, I will schedule our partial day to go into the night.
Definitely go there at night, it's really pretty lit up. There are some areas that I thought were a little *too* dark but it was fun to see stuff lit up.
FYI: you would look really good with purple hair. (RE your Trader Sam's pic)
Well dang, I wish I'd tried that in college before becoming a responsible adult!! :sad::P
Did you buy the souvenir cup? We have a place in Chicago kind of like that and so I have a few tiki cups at home now. My sis & I really want to hit up the DL version in May.
I did not buy the souvenir cup. Neither of us did, just the drinks. :)
SNOAP! I Lol'd and I'm stealing that term.
I can't take credit for that one!! But that's totally what it is!
Holiday 5k = I WANT TO DO THAT! (and I probably will in 2017 EEEE!)
Do it!!!!
The Mice pic reminds me of Wilson from Home Improvement
Haha, it totally does! I agree!
Pitch black running under twinkle lights is on the bucket list now...even if its just for a short lil while.
Yes!! I loved that part of the race.
That medal is my favorite thing and so BIG! Really hope next years is as nice.
I couldn't believe how big it was! I have been impressed with the 5K medals so far...I actually really liked the Avengers 5K medal, and I'm not into the Avengers at all. I think they will continue to be awesome!!
I'm so jealous that you got to meet Lumiere. Love the picture!
I was so happy to meet him! Especially at the expo - he was out before/after a couple of the races but the lines were huge.
What is up with runDisney screwing up merchandise/whatever for inaugural events? There was the 10K thing a few years ago, some mistakes on the Dark Side pins (they had the wrong date or something), and now this ... what is going on with them?
Ugh, I don't know. Surely those designs go through enough people that these mistakes would be caught...you'd think, anyway...
We saw the medals in person a few weeks ago (Beth and I went to the NYC marathon expo) and I really loved the 10K medal! The challenge medal is pretty cool too. But runDisney medals are getting so big ... these medals seemed a lot bigger than the ones I have!
10K and 5K were my favorites from the weekend. I liked that the challenge medal was really unique and stood out.

I agree that the medals are getting huge! I was checking out the ones for January and the Dopey one was bigger than my hand!
I'm glad to hear that going to the expo in the afternoon worked out for you! There's a reason I recommend it so much ... it's so much less stressful.
Seriously, best change to a race weekend ever (my going in the afternoon instead of the morning, I mean). :thumbsup2
Sorry to hear about the bus problems ... that's something you don't want to deal with on race day. At least you made it to the race, which is all that matters.
Yeah, I think I would have been freaking out if it were for one of the longer races - especially if it was for the half marathon in January/February or the marathon since there's such a long walk to the corrals from the drop-off point. If there was a time to have a late bus, this was the day for it.
I'm kinda laughing at your sunglasses situation. When the sun doesn't come up until after 7 ... they're probably not entirely necessary. (Although I probably shouldn't make fun, since I've been known to wear my sunglasses for entire runDisney races, even when it's still dark out)
Hey, in my defense...here's a picture from the same race in 2014...I think that one started at the same time as this one (6:30). So I just assumed it would be sunny again! :rotfl2:
15888194867_c17eda6fed_z.jpg

Illegal Rivers of Light picture ... awesome. I like the look of the float ... now if only they could actually get the show operational...
Um, agreed on all counts! I'm hoping it'll be all set by January, but not counting on it with the way things have been going!!
Sounds like a fun race! I love all of your character pictures ... and your outfit is pretty awesome too :)
Thanks! It was a fun race, and a good way to sort of get the nerves out with the longer races coming up. :)

Friday, November 4: Post-5K, Part 1
The Poly was the first stop picking up and dropping off that weekend for race transportation, so I got back decently quickly. Hopped in the shower, put on clean clothes, and then Mr. A and I headed to the TTC and then to Epcot for a Harvest feast!!
30792187091_2375244f57_z.jpg

We checked in about 15 minutes late and I appreciated that the CM didn’t guilt-trip me for not arriving on time. We were seated quickly at a table on the lower level and could see Living with the Land going by!
30844589366_ab1e85ef25_z.jpg

This was our first time coming here for breakfast. When we came for dinner in 2013, the characters were super fun and we had great interactions. This time, they were noticeably more rushed...I guess breakfast is just busier there.

My main mouse!
30245239773_d831a07395_z.jpg

30880788975_a2d4ebd5c9_z.jpg

And some food! Fruit and Sticky buns, yum! Not pictured: life-giving coffee.
30579477610_370d2457c2_z.jpg

Chipper came by for a selfie!
30844551396_f1a74b0f2f_z.jpg

Mr. A doesn’t do selfies. :)
30764479162_ab69a73a5f_z.jpg

Next up was Dale. He stuck around long enough for me to get a picture, but not Mr. A. :confused3
30792151331_3bc298c91c_z.jpg

More food! Breakfast potatoes, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, Mickey Waffles and ham. There was chocolate-hazelnut sauce (i.e. runny Nutella) for the waffles...OMG. :cloud9:
30880788945_cfa2c844eb_z.jpg

Our last meet was with Pluto!
30764517192_a6f6cd8c41_z.jpg

And done! Overall this was a very solid breakfast...but we just don’t eat enough at these “all you care to enjoy”-type restaurants to justify the price (even with 20% off thanks to my AP). I need to keep that in mind for the future! Still a fun meal though - I would definitely recommend it for anyone in the market for a character breakfast (and would highly recommend the dinner there as well!).

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
I love Mickey in his farmer gear. So cute. I'm a big Pluto fan too, so happy you got some good pics with him as well. That sticky bun!! Nom.Nom.Nom!

I am a huge breakfast person! I had Garden Grill booked for a post half breakfast but my family was just "meh" about it. So bummed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter