10 yr old and restaurants

CeCe0906

Mouseketeer
My granddaughter and I will be at WDW in August. She turns 10 in August, so she will be a "Disney Adult" as far as tickets, etc. Will the give us any issues with her ordering off the kids menu. She is an extremely picky eater, that only really eats a few things well, due to some sensory issues and acid reflux. She does protein shakes morning and evening before bed to keep her weight up.

I'm not going to quibble about paying adult prices if we are at buffets etc, it's mainly having access to the fruit, Mac and cheese, carrot, plain salad, and kid pizza or mozcsticks, fries that I'm concerned about. Most stuff on the adult menus she won't eat. No burgers, or chicken, or steak, and heaven help us if things are touching or saucy. If they ask of course I'll say she's 10, and will pay any upcharge.

I know they are trying to keep it consistent with tickets, but most places I've been don't kick you off the kid menu until 12.

My oldest will be 11 on our next trip, so I understand your situation. We are planning on doing a lot of QS places where anyone can order a kids meal no questions asked. Other strategies include ordering sides or appetizers your "disney adult" will eat from table service locations. You can also bring food into the park with you.

I've read that table service locations will let someone over 10 order from the kids menu, but you will pay the child price for the entree and pay for your sides and beverage separately instead of it being included in the child meal price.

Granted I don't eat at buffets, but I don't think there's a gatekeeper there keeping adults from the kids items. I mean, I would be plating the food for my 2 and 6 year olds anyway.

Buffets are no problem. Anyone can eat whatever they want, no matter if they’re a kid or adult. My 12 year still usually prefers the kids menu and has ordered from it most places on our last two trips. Only one place ever questioned her she and we were honest, of course. The waitress said it was no problem, but she would bring her a larger portion of the kids’ item and charge adult price. So as long as you know you might pay more, it should be fine.

My granddaughter and I will be at WDW in August. She turns 10 in August, so she will be a "Disney Adult" as far as tickets, etc. Will the give us any issues with her ordering off the kids menu. She is an extremely picky eater, that only really eats a few things well, due to some sensory issues and acid reflux. She does protein shakes morning and evening before bed to keep her weight up.

I'm not going to quibble about paying adult prices if we are at buffets etc, it's mainly having access to the fruit, Mac and cheese, carrot, plain salad, and kid pizza or mozcsticks, fries that I'm concerned about. Most stuff on the adult menus she won't eat. No burgers, or chicken, or steak, and heaven help us if things are touching or saucy. If they ask of course I'll say she's 10, and will pay any upcharge.

I know they are trying to keep it consistent with tickets, but most places I've been don't kick you off the kid menu until 12.
We went in February and August last year and my daughter was 10 - she was able to eat off the kids menu everywhere we went although we didn't do many sit down character dining type meals - mostly quick service and places at Disney Springs but never any issues and never paid adult prices for her.

You may be recalling the policy when there was a dining plan.

On that, adults could only order from the adult menu and kids under 10 from the kids one. No exceptions unless you decided to pay cash instead of using dining plan credits.

Paying OOP at WDW has traditionally meant a person could order from whichever menu unless a specific restaurant's policy differed. Some of the non-Disney owned ones may do that.

We used to always get the dining plan, so I'm not positive but saw posters say that a few restaurants did restrict ordering like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter