Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Going solo in November, need good dining?

Going solo 11/17- 11/21, where should I dine?

I am thinking of doing lunch at the Rainforest Cafe at AK and that is far as it gets. Need suggestion and opinions please
Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
MICKFan
MICKFan

I've done Tusker House, Grand Floridian Cafe (a favorite), 1900 Park Fare for dinner (loud but fun) Teppan Edo, Crystal Palace, Cape May Cafe, Mama Melrose, Restaurant Marrakesh (sp?) (did not care for this one AT ALL)

All done solo.....Love the solo trips!!!
MICKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKFan View Post
I've done Tusker House, Grand Floridian Cafe (a favorite), 1900 Park Fare for dinner (loud but fun) Teppan Edo, Crystal Palace, Cape May Cafe, Mama Melrose, Restaurant Marrakesh (sp?) (did not care for this one AT ALL)

All done solo.....Love the solo trips!!!
How was the Restaurant Marrkesh? Another possibility is the Mexican Restaurant or I will just sit at the Tequila Bar to drink and have appetizers.

what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustergirl View Post

I am thinking of doing lunch at the Rainforest Cafe at AK and that is far as it gets. Need suggestion and opinions please
Rainforest Café has locations in several states, including two in NJ. I think it makes more sense at WDW to go to restaurants that are only at WDW. But if that's what you want to do, it is your trip.
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
ludari
DIS Veteran

They are lots of good places to eat at WDW. When I visit I like to places both at the resorts and at the parks. They are many places I have yet to dine at but these are my favorites in no particular order;

Boma's (AK Lodge)
California Grill Lounge (Contemporary Resort)
Ohana (Poly Resort)
50's Prime Time Cafe (Hollywood Studios)
Be Our Guest (Magic Kingdom)
Beaches and Cream Soda Shop (Beach Club Resort)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (Wilderness Lodge)
Big River Grille and Brewing Works (Boardwalk)

Enjoy your trip.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
armone
Earning My Ears

DW and I have been to Spice Road twice since it opened in Epcot. Mussels and wine our late lunch of choice sitting in the open air area overlooking the pond. Only apps and drinks there but great rest stop and people watching.
armone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
SueDonym3
Earning My Ears

Which Mexico? I have done San Angel Inn-solo. The one inside the pyramid. It is a great spot solo-lots of 2 people only tables and very dark so if you are worried about dining alone-don't-no one can see you. As for other restaurants-check menus and see what appeals. I choose my solo restaurants on what I like-some of my favorites are ones that others despise. My favorites are Coral Reef-always something to look at, Mama Melrose, Chefs de France and Yak & Yeti. Try something new-stick to old favorites-enjoy yourself and have a great trip!
SueDonym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
MICKFan
MICKFan

I did not care at all for Restaurant Marrakesh.....I had a chicken dish and it tasted like it was leftover and reheated......
Did not care for Nine Dragons (I think that is the name) at China Pavilion either.....
All other places I have tried were VERY good!!
MICKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
bryanb
Earning My Ears

Are you looking just for table service restaurants?

Based on my experience at Rainforest Cafe at two different locations (including Disneyland), it's definitely a fun atmosphere with okay-quality food.

But Animal Kingdom has some of the best restaurants of any Disney theme park anywhere. I really enjoyed the quick-service Flame Tree Barbecue... the ribs were surprisingly tender and the seating area couldn't be beat. You can relax in front of the water, watching the animals with Expedition Everest in the background. It feels like you're in a completely different world.

Tusker House is a guest favorite that I haven't tried, but if it's anything like Boma (at the Animal Kingdom Lodge), I'm definitely planning on hitting it up next time. Boma was my absolute favorite. A little exotic but not in a way that would scare people. The wide selection of soups/stews, bobotie, refreshing salads, and roasted meats were excellent. A buddy also raves about Yak & Yeti.

At Epcot, I only went during the Food & Wine Festival so I ate my fill of small bites around World Showcase.

If you end up at Downtown Disney, Raglan Road has some really delicious fish & chips (don't know how they compare to Rose & Crown -- and I hear the other entrees are good too.
bryanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

So I have made two ressies so far:

Dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh (want to catch Illuminations afterwards and

Kona Cafe for breakfast one morning.

Is there going to be construction going on at the POLY and how will this affect me getting there?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Airship Ariadne
Mouseketeer

we don't do Rainforest Cafe at Disney simply because we eat at the one on the Riverwalk yearly when we visit San Antonio...and I think DD is growing out of it...so might get to skip it next month...the food is OK, but it is a part of a large chain (Landry's I think). When we hit Disney we go for the "only at Disney" experiences, but then I know not everyone lives in cities near a Rainforest Cafe.

MY faves are Coral Reef, and Le Cellier, great steaks...and I'm from Texas, so, claim expert status on steaks...who am I fooling, we Texans claim expert status on everything

I also really enjoyed the Liberty Tree Tavern.
Airship Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

Love solo meals (and trips!). I usually have lunch at Restaurant Marrakesh at least once a trip by myself. I get there early and have always had great service - not rushed at all. I usually get appetizers and salad. I've also solo dined at Le Cellier and really enjoyed myself. I tend to have lunch either very early or very late (for lunch) to avoid any rush (even though it seems like all times are booked lol!).
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
tinkandme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustergirl View Post

I would forego Rainforest and try Yak and Yeti, very good! Another favof mine at AK is Flame Tree BBQ

*´¨)
.·´ ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.*´ ¸.·´
tinkandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkandme View Post
I would forego Rainforest and try Yak and Yeti, very good! Another favof mine at AK is Flame Tree BBQ
I agree! Tusker House is also excellent.
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkandme View Post
Flame Tree BBQ is a great lunch to be had.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: