Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #811
Pei4ever
Mouseketeer

bump
Pei4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #812
flying_babyb
DIS Veteran

Irish pattato cookies

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon. Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.

I love these cookies below. There a holiday hit every time. I leave off the perserves but thats a personal choice. Also I put the dough on a cookie sheet then cut out circles with a coffee cup so they look more cookie like.
CROATIAN COOKIE

2 c. butter
2 c. ground nuts
1 jar apricot preserve
4 egg yolks
4 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together butter and sugar until creamy. Add beaten egg, mix in vanilla. Add flour and mix. Put 1/2 of the dough on a greased cookie sheet. Spread apricot jam, sprinkle rest of dough on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cool and cut into 1 inch squares.
flying_babyb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #813
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Thank you so much for putting them together. I'm going to make a cookbook out of them all for my daughter in law in Ireland. I've been sending them piecemeal.

Doris

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #814
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Didn't we have a similar thread about just appetizers? I tried the search and got no where (surprise). I'd like to add those. And then I think I'll add the slow cooker recipes too! So far it's 69 pages (book size, double sided). This is just great.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #815
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Here you go!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=982433

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #816
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
Thank you. Before I go through that one, I don't suppose anyone has put those all together? If not, I'll start copying and pasting them and add them to the book.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #817
RIDISNEYLOVERS
DIS Veteran

A question for those of you who have made the oreo and cream cheese balls - do they need to be refrigerated????

Thanks
RIDISNEYLOVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #818
Ricky's Girl
DIS Veteran

Shagley, Left210 and ZipaDeeDooDah A million thank you's for compiling all those recipes on page 53! That was so awesome of you to do that. I'm really enjoying this thread and have made several of the recipes and they are yummy (and so easy!)

Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Susie

My next house will have no kitchen - just Vending machines and a large trash can.

Ricky's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #819
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
Thank you. Before I go through that one, I don't suppose anyone has put those all together? If not, I'll start copying and pasting them and add them to the book.
Oh, I forgot about that thread. I will have to work on compiling those recipes to add them to my book also. Us Disers sure have some yummy recipes!!
Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #820
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

When my DMIL passed away in 1994 (just 2 weeks before my DD, her first grandchild, was born) the only possesion that her two sons (one my DH, of course) fought over was a hand-written cookbook where she had kept all of the family's favorite recipes. She was one heck of a cook.

So to try and make everyone happy (because her sisters, step-daughter and other familiy members also got involved) I spent the next weeks after she passed away typing it up so it could be shared by all. Each holiday I try and pick out something that she noted that my DH loved as a child (I even transcribed her notes about who liked what and I'm so glad that I did) and make it for him. The cookbook ended up being 122 pages long in a Word document so she's left me a lifetime of special surprises for her son.

This year I think I'm going to try this one:

Miniature Chocolate Fruit Cakes

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. margarine, at room temperature
1 lg. egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. milk
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. chopped red candied cherries
1/4 c. each, golden raisins and chopped dates
For Decoration: 24 red candied cherry halves

Heat oven to 325. Grease 24 - 1 3/4 inch muffin cups. Mix flour, cocoa and baking powder. Beat sugar and margarine in bowl with mixer till well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients except decoration. Spoon into prepared muffin pans. Top each with a cherry half. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until tops look dry. Remove to wire rack to cool. Pack in an airtight container. Makes 24, 85 calories each.

According to the notation that she left this one is "good!"
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #821
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
When my DMIL passed away in 1994 (just 2 weeks before my DD, her first grandchild, was born) the only possesion that her two sons (one my DH, of course) fought over was a hand-written cookbook where she had kept all of the family's favorite recipes. She was one heck of a cook.

So to try and make everyone happy (because her sisters, step-daughter and other familiy members also got involved) I spent the next weeks after she passed away typing it up so it could be shared by all. Each holiday I try and pick out something that she noted that my DH loved as a child (I even transcribed her notes about who liked what and I'm so glad that I did) and make it for him. The cookbook ended up being 122 pages long in a Word document so she's left me a lifetime of special surprises for her son.

This is such a sweet story. My friend's mother passed away a couple of years ago and her mother was also a wonderful cook with many handwritten recipes. My friend is working on typing up a cookbook using a font of her mothers handwriting (http://www.fontifier.com/) to give to her family members. She meant to do it for Christmas this year but ran out of time, but I know her family will just love it. (She used old letters and recipes that were written by her mom to have the font made).
Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #822
msdznyduck
Victim of the latest fly by tagging
my kids were shocked when they found out the music truck sells ICE CREAM. They just thought it was a neighbor riding around playing music for his friends

Current has a 'hand writable' cookbook (From my kitchen to yours) for I think $19.99. (I'm sure you can find one cheaper than that, that just happens to be the one that I got.) I have one and have been passing it around to grandmas, aunts, even some uncles who like to cook. They write their specials in there and when it is done I will have a cookbook in all their own handwriting. Takes time, but I got started on it a few years ago, and add my own to it when I find something everyone likes. It is for my 17 yr old DD to have eventually.

~~*msdznyduck*~~

Imagine all the people living life in peace.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one.
--John Lennon

We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. ---Randy Pausch

Be kinder than necessary. 'Cause everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
msdznyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #823
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagley View Post
This is such a sweet story. My friend's mother passed away a couple of years ago and her mother was also a wonderful cook with many handwritten recipes. My friend is working on typing up a cookbook using a font of her mothers handwriting (http://www.fontifier.com/) to give to her family members. She meant to do it for Christmas this year but ran out of time, but I know her family will just love it. (She used old letters and recipes that were written by her mom to have the font made).
What a GREAT idea this is! I really wish I'd had the chance to do something like this. The one piece I miss is the actual handwriting and notations (and even the cooking stains!) of the book. I don't know if I'd have enough of her handwriting lying around but I'm sure going to look!
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #824
flipflop
Mommy is changing her name
I am wondering if there is something we should be looking out for

subbing

yummmm

DH Me DD (4) DS(4) DS (4)
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #825
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Thank you so much for putting them together. I'm going to make a cookbook out of them all for my daughter in law in Ireland. I've been sending them piecemeal.
Anyone interested in a place where you can self publish your own book with a harcover or as paperback and then order only as many copies as you need, go to: http://www.lulu.com/en/products/hardcover/

Look under the "Publish" links.

Quote:
Didn't we have a similar thread about just appetizers? I tried the search and got no where (surprise). I'd like to add those. And then I think I'll add the slow cooker recipes too! So far it's 69 pages (book size, double sided). This is just great.
Here are several wonderful DIS archived threads I compiled from the various boards for cookies, treats, appetizers & other goodies. (They are not just for the holidays!) They are excellent DIS resources and would go great in a cookbook.

Quick and Easy Appetizers & Snacks

New Year's Eve appetizers

Here's the link to my favorite thread on the DIS:
Cookies from cake mixes! Super Easy! NOW w/ BISCOTTI and Cookie BARS

The *Official* Holiday Recipe 2007 Thread

Christmas Cookie thread

Quick and Easy Cakes from mixes
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 12-22-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: