Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #166
Lorikr65
Lorikr65

I'm too lazy to go through 10 pages to see if anything similar to this has been posted!!

I make these for the teachers at my kids' schools and they absolute love them!! Beware: They have rum in them.

Almond Chocolate Truffles

½ lb. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I use a 10 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate)
¼ lb ground toasted almonds (just put almonds in toaster oven at 350 for a few minutes until they start to smell real good!)
¼ lb (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
¼ cup coffee or rum
Cocoa powder, powdered sugar or chocolate sprinkles for garnish

Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water (I just fill up a pot with water and then put a smaller one in that one since I don't have a double boiler). Stir in ground almonds. Add butter pieces one at a time, stirring well. When completely mixed, remove from heat and stir in coffee or rum.

Place in refrigerator and chill until firm, about 1 hour.

When chocolate is firm enough to handle, shape into balls and roll in cocoa, powdered sugar or sprinkles. Place in a cookie tin and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Makes about 25 truffles.
2002 - All Star Movies
2003 - All Star Music
2004 - Pop Century
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Sports
2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort

I've been blessed!!
Lorikr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #167
txgirl
DIS Veteran

White chocolate popcorn!

I can't believe no one has posted this yet and it is soooo easy.

One bag microwave popcorn
1/2 of pkg almond bark

Cook popcorn and make sure you remove all the uncooked kernels. Melt white almond bark in large bowl (I do this in 45 second intervals so as to not scorch)

Dump bag of popcorn into bowl of melted almond bark and stir until the popcorn is covered. Pour over wax paper to harden and then break apart and put into clear gift bags with beautiful ribbon and your teachers will think you've gone gourmet on them!!!

Seriously I hate giving this recipe out to people who I have given the popcorn to because I feel like I've cheated or something! It is sooo incredibly yummy and as far as almond bark is concerned it's much cheaper and the taste is wonderful. I keep these items on hand ALL the time so I can whip up a quick batch for church, school, kids, etc. You can sprinkle with colored christmas sprinkles and make it really festive!
November 2011 - Our first trip to Fort Wilderness!!!

-16 -14 -8 -3 -1
txgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 PM   #168
kuusimo
"I have a great idea mom- lets go to Disneyland today!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslil65
1-14 oz. box Big Cheez-It Crackers (have to use the BIG ones)

Creamy peanut butter (any brand…I ended up using a no sugar added Peter Pan and it worked just fine)

1-24 oz. package chocolate bark (I think Wilton’s chocolate discs might work too)

Spread a cracker with creamy peanut butter and place another cracker on top to make a sandwich. Melt the chocolate bark in the microwave for 90 seconds. Stir. If the bark hasn't all melted, return to the microwave for 20 seconds. Dip "sandwiches" into the melted bark and coat thoroughly. Allow to set/harden on waxed paper. Voila...they taste like Butterfingers! This makes about 5 dozen.
Instead of spreading the peanut butter on the crackers, I had some Cheese & Peanut Butter Crackers already made. They come six to a package. They worked great and cut out a lot of work. I also had some peanut butter and round crackers and dipped those as well. One 24 oz almond bark did 12 packages (6 dozen). This saved A LOT of time, and by boys loved putting the crackers in the chocolate for me to dip.

Disneyland Trips:
Child :1976, 1978, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
Married : 1996,
With Children :
May 2004- Homewood Suites
Oct 2004- Anaheim Del Sol
Apr 2005- Best Western Park Place Inn
Feb 2006- Anaheim Desert Inn
Mar 2007- Candy Cane Inn
May 2010- Anaheim Desert Inn
March 2012- Park Vue Inn
May 2014 - Anaheim Del Sol
kuusimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #169
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

My quick and easy treats? I stop in at the bakery and get a tray. Last year I stopped over at C.Ann's and picked up cookies. Now THAT'S easy.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:54 AM   #170
RetroJulie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMom
World's Easiest Peanut Butter Fudge....(and tastes great too!)

1 regular size container white cake frosting
1 regular size jar of peanut butter

Spoon contents of each container into a microwave safe large bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until the mixture can be thoroughly mixed (it takes 2 - 30 second increments in my microwave) After mixing completely pour into a Pam sprayed glass 9X9-inch pan. Will harden completely in the refrigerator.

This is VERY good, and I was skeptical.....
I made this last night and it turned out fantastic! I can't wait to start experimenting with mixing peanut butter with chocolate icing, adding walnuts and other goodies to the mix. You little hint has just helped me shave tons of time off of my holiday goodie makin' efforts. Thanks!
RetroJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:03 AM   #171
JRoglitz
DIS Veteran

Is almond bark something you can get in a grocery store? If so, where is it located? With the chocolate chips?
JRoglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:05 AM   #172
d4est
The Tag Fairy is really Ghostbuster Guy in Orange!
Average everyday sane/sick psycho supergoddess
It's just a coinkie-dink

That's where I found it at Walmart.

2/11 1st cruise-DCL 4 night Dream~2/10 February Fury wrecks our plans! Did Tampa family visit with Busch Gardens etc~2/09 Hard Rock Hotel and Discovery Cove
12/07 Disney’s AKL & Universal HRH~2/06 Coronado Springs! Totally Awesome!!!~2/05 Universal RPR…FOTL Rocks!!!~2/04 Marriott OWC Sea world/Bush Gardens
2/03 Offsite w/family Sea World~4/1995 Offsite (Timeshare) Sea World & MK

Make your own kind of music, sing your own special song...
d4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #173
bear74
DIS Veteran

does any opne have a good gingerbread recipe and a sugar cookie recipe also in need of easy way to decorate them.
bear74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #174
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear74
does any opne have a good gingerbread recipe and a sugar cookie recipe also in need of easy way to decorate them.
I love these cookies. They are soft and yummy and stay fresh for days. I'll be making some next week. I also have easy shortbread cookie recipe if anyone is interested... I'd like a delicious homemade sugar cookie (for cutting shapes) if anyone has one!

Soft Ginger Cookies

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened (or margarine)
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbsp white granulated sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually, stir in the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Refrigerate for 1/2 an hour.

Use cookie scoop or hands to shape dough into walnut-size balls, and roll themin a bowl of white grandulated sugar (the 2 Tbsps). Place the cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes one batch at a time. Sprinkle more sugar on top. Let cool. Store in airtight container.
beattyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #175
corie161
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagley
I love all these ideas and I can't wait to try them. I also thought of another idea that we made a few years ago.

Spread peanut butter in between two Ritz crackers, and then dipped them in melted chocolate almond bark. My sister loves those!

I think I am going to have to make an assortment of these ideas to give out to neighbors and co-workers.
We do this too. They are yummy!
Next visit -
corie161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #176
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by disynut
Just had this last night(and for breakfast this morning ) it is super yummy!

Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball

1 (8oz) cream cheese
1/2 c real butter
1/4 t vanilla
3/4 c powdered sugar
2 T brown sugar
3/4 c mini choc chips
3/4 c finely chopped pecans

Mix first 6 ingredients and form ball. Roll in pecans. Chill--serve with chocolate graham crackers--the "stick" kind work good.
this is a big hit every time I fix it! I've served it with mini choc chip cookies, brownies, and oreos as well as graham crackers

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #177
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgirl
I can't believe no one has posted this yet and it is soooo easy.

One bag microwave popcorn
1/2 of pkg almond bark

Cook popcorn and make sure you remove all the uncooked kernels. Melt white almond bark in large bowl (I do this in 45 second intervals so as to not scorch)

Dump bag of popcorn into bowl of melted almond bark and stir until the popcorn is covered. Pour over wax paper to harden and then break apart and put into clear gift bags with beautiful ribbon and your teachers will think you've gone gourmet on them!!!

Seriously I hate giving this recipe out to people who I have given the popcorn to because I feel like I've cheated or something! It is sooo incredibly yummy and as far as almond bark is concerned it's much cheaper and the taste is wonderful. I keep these items on hand ALL the time so I can whip up a quick batch for church, school, kids, etc. You can sprinkle with colored christmas sprinkles and make it really festive!
I wonder what would happen if you add creamy peanut butter to the bark? Maybe use the plain white chocolate bark & PB mixed together? hmm....

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #178
BonnieA
I don't need no stinkin tag

Someone requested a sugar cookie recipe.

Here's my favorite sugar cookie recipe from Wilton (and it doesn't require refrigeration before rolling) :

Roll-Out Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsps baking powder
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix baking powder and flour, add one cup at a time mixing after each addition. The dough will be very stiff, blend last flour in by hand (if dough becomes too stiff, add water, a teaspoon at a time). Do not chill dough. Divide dough into 2 balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approx 12 inches in diameter and 1/8 in thick. Dip cutters in flour before each use. Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet on top rack of over for 6 to 7 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Hint: I roll cookies between 2 sheets of wax paper, no need to add a lot of additional flour when rolling. Makes 20-24 average size cookies.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #179
bear74
DIS Veteran

thanks for the recpies. does anyone have an easy icing for the sugar recipies. I read somewhere about an egg yolk paint, any body now anything about it.
bear74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #180
zippeedee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge
I wonder what would happen if you add creamy peanut butter to the bark? Maybe use the plain white chocolate bark & PB mixed together? hmm....
How about drizzling melted peanut butter chips over the white bark once they have cooled? Or melted chocolate? I think I need to make some popcorn now!
zippeedee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: