Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #31
JtotheG84
Earning My Ears

stc1223

Hey there! This is off topic from the information you were seeking, well, somewhat...What is your son's AIM screen name? We have tons of different online communities for Spring CPers and if we can talk to him we can offer him some advice.
-Janet
AIM: JtotheG84
Old 11-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #32
Lindamary123
Time to get back in the groove
We are also big fans

I was just going to post the same questions! My son is checking in on Wed., Jan. 25 and we will probably fly. Southwest has $49 flights from BWI and he wasn't bringing his car anyway. I had planned on flying down Sat. and staying at OKW on points (we are DVC) and leaving late Wed. I hope that will give us enough time to get him settled in, I just don't know.

Good luck to your son! Mine will be working in Operations.

Linda

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #33
Jana49
Mmm! Dole Whips!

My DD just got her invitation today for Operations, and is checking in 01/09. Her dad and I will be flying down with her from Indiana, and staying at one of the resorts the night before. The kids accepted have access to a whole lot of info at the website, so I had her print up a lot of it for me, just so I'll know what's going on, too.

We're just so excited!! It took 15 days to get the word, and it got fairly nerve-wracking at the end, lol.

Good luck!!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #34
Disneylovingmom
Mouseketeer

Resort Discounts

I'm wondering how soon the CP's can use the resort discount. I have heard that they get 50% off. My husband and I would like to take our daughter down in January and stay for a few days at one of the resorts. Can she get us a discount, or does she have to wait until after she gets started in the program? Do you have to wait until after you are working to make reservations? Any info would be very much appreciated!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:14 PM   #35
teh fish
DIS Veteran

have to wait until she gets her ID and is setup with the Disney computer system (the portal). Then she can make reservations online.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:19 PM   #36
Disneylvr729
Always tell the people you care about that you Love them. You never know what will happen in the next minute, hour, day, month, or year.

She will have to wait until she starts the program before she will be able to utlize the discount. But once she gets it... It is well worth it!
11 8 4

Old 11-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #37
Disneylovingmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your info, teh fish and Disneylvr.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:04 AM   #38
Disneylovingmom
Mouseketeer

Vista Way vs Chatham Square

From what I have seen on the Internet, Chatham Square appears to be a little nicer than Vista Way. Any opinions? Do any of the CP appartments have washers and dryers? I thought I read somewhere that one complex has them in each apartment.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #39
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

There's a big debate about Chatham vs Vista. I personally think that Chatham is nicer. The apartments are newer (so nicer). Both complexes have washers/dryers, but it's the Commons (international) that has them in the rooms. The buses go to both so that's not a problem.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 11-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #40
IamCourtney
Mouseketeer

Vista was acquired in 1988, they are quite a bit older than Chatham (built around 2000). Vista has lots of "lakes" with nutria(sp) and ducks and lots of trees and squirrels. Chatham has landscaped trees and bushes. Not a lot of animals around Chatham. Chatham is across the street from Mickey's Retreat, so you have very easy access to those activities and stuff.

Vista is the party complex. Its loud at night, and you can almost always find a party. Better to be at Vista if you're 21 and like to have parties, go to parties, or live with people that have parties. These apartments get trashed a lot. Vista is often referred to as "Vista Lay".

Chatham is quiet, but fun. There are parties and stuff at Chatham, but not loud all night every night parties like Vista. Sometimes people in Chatham are called "Chatham Squares", because they aren't as crazy and drunk as Vista kids.

The Commons is for international and international college program participants. They are the biggest, nicest, and only apartments with w/d in units.

At Vista there are 3 washers and 3 dryers in each building, you share with your building.

At Chatham, there are laundry rooms spread throughout the complex with 10 washers and 10 dryers in each room. You share with whoever wants to use them.

I like Chatham...building 12, chocolatey brown section. Centrally located!

But I have friends in Vista that absolutely love it...never lived there, I can't really know.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #41
BigPigletFan
I am Piglet hear my Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mare1203
does anyone know how disney does there scheduling? Is it weekly, bi-weekly, monthly?

I realize that they're probably just going to stick us in where they need help, but I was just wondering how it was done.
Two weeks out.

Whoever asked if they should save up, you probably should. I did and it's helped out a lot. If you choose the fall program you get a lot of holiday discounts including 40% off of merch. from 20%. Plus you get to experince both the slowest and busiest times of the year, not to mention getting to see the regular shows, parades, etc. but also the holiday shows, parades, and events.

One thing I have learned from the CP is that most kids down here aren't here because they like Disney as you might think. Most are here to put it on their resume and for a fun semester-long party. So be prepared for that. Can you tell I wasn't?

I would say the CP isn't that hard to get into if you sell yourself to Disney. Show them you are passionate about their company (but not an obsessed freak) and smile. Being fans you know how Disney wants their CMs to be. If you can sell that is what you are, you should be fine.

As far as living goes, if you can bring your car I HIGHLY SUGGEST IT. Those who left their car at home regret it. There is busing provided, but it isn't always dependable. I live in Chatam Square in a two-bedroom apartment. I like it. There is quite enough space compared to any dorm many of you are living in. Chatam also has more bathrooms/bedrooms compared to Vista and more cable channels if that matters to you. I have heard good things from Vista too, but I haven't lived there so I couldn't say.

As far as "ruining the magic" goes... yes, you might encounter some of that. Those that work in some areas will encounter it a lot more than others but it's still there. If you work at the Magic Kingdom you have the highest chance of seeing things you might not want to. Overall I've just viewed it as a learning experince and tried not to let things I've seen ruin it for me, but just make it more exciting when I see them as a guest.

If you have any questions you can contact me. My information is listed in my profile. I'd be happy to chat with you.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #42
Disneylovingmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks a bunch! Everyone's information is very helpful. I am so envious of all of you! I wish I were young and in college so I could go. I'm sure my daughter will love it.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:51 PM   #43
Maestro'sApprentice
Earning My Ears

I take it that it is kinda hard to go to these partys due to the whole wellness thing, especially if you are under 21. Do they check alot and have security, or you will only get caught if you do something stupid?

I guess in a nutshell, is it easy for underage people to drink?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #44
Maestro'sApprentice
Earning My Ears

Actually, it doesn't seem like such a big deal. It would just be nice to not have to go 5 months without any alcohol.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:12 PM   #45
CPer'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro'sApprentice
Actually, it doesn't seem like such a big deal. It would just be nice to not have to go 5 months without any alcohol.
In the CP program if you are under 21 and get caught drinking, you'll be gone the next morning.....no 2nd chance. And from what I heard from my daughter and her friends during their WDW program, it happens to quite a few CPs who don't take the policy seriously.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: