Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #106
flrickd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbugsmomma View Post
Well, our lamp post is almost finished. We just have to glue some pieces together and do a little bit of wiring. But here is a picture of what it will look like unlit.

I will post a picture of it lit up when we get it finished.
Looks great, what did you use for the base?

WDW- CS,CBR,WL,C,PO,ASM,FW
DCL-7 Day Western 07
DCL-7 Day Eastern 09
DCL-7 Day Eastern 10
flrickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #107
disbugsmomma
Mouseketeer

The base is a christmas tree base that I painted to match the post. I have a 4" to 3" reducer in there to keep it from wobbling too much. (That's one of the pieces that I need to glue in )
*Offsite ~ 1988*ASMusic ~ 1999*FW Campground ~ 2001*Boardwalk ~ 2004*FW Campground ~ 2005*Boardwalk ~ 2006*FW Campground ~ 2007*FW Campground ~ 2008*SSR ~ 2008 mnsshp *Beach Club ~ 2009*Boardwalk ~ 2010*Boardwalk ~ 2011*POP ~ 2011*POP/Dream/BLT ~ 2012*BLT ~ 2013*Boardwalk/Fantasy ~ 2014
Me Dh Dd Dd

disbugsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #108
flrickd
Mouseketeer

Good idea I think I will look at some garage sales for an old one.

WDW- CS,CBR,WL,C,PO,ASM,FW
DCL-7 Day Western 07
DCL-7 Day Eastern 09
DCL-7 Day Eastern 10
flrickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #109
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

bump,

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #110
RvUsa
John, the special Dis'r formerly known as Ejmbibb
What can I say, my thingy is contagious!!!
I can even be a fairy if I want

Well, my two lamps were up for 2 weeks, through about 3 thunderstorms, and a couple of good wind storms and held up great! If anyone wants directions, go to www.RvUsa.org and check em out!
RvUsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #111
happy_redhead
Mouseketeer

My dad took the directions and made me a HUGE Mickey Lamppost! The head was a 16 inch globe with 8 inch ears! He followed the directions given here and it looked fantastic! Had several compliments on it. It too survived the daily deluge and wind.

Red

url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
happy_redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #112
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_redhead View Post
My dad took the directions and made me a HUGE Mickey Lamppost! The head was a 16 inch globe with 8 inch ears! He followed the directions given here and it looked fantastic! Had several compliments on it. It too survived the daily deluge and wind.
Photos please

Deb
my3princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #113
BigDaddyRog
Ask me about my cartoon pitch
I'm all Disney'd up feeling innocent and pure
Cut up and act like a clown while ya gotta chance to embarrass those that are forced to love you.

I cant find a BIG ENOUGH globe for the head....my local HDepot and Lowes have the same ones that Flrickd used..THOSE LOOK GREAT, I dont mean that thats arent good enough...but i feel like the head part should be larger....but cant find the dang acrylic globes in any larger sizes...OR even if I could find smaller ear globes would be great, Ive never checked on ebay though....uhohhh....I feel an ebay binge coming on!!!!
BigDaddyRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #114
RvUsa

Rodger, I can get you the globe at home depot here and mail it to you with the mickey decal if you like, It was about $26. Let me know. John
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #115
happy_redhead
Mouseketeer

Dad ordered the 16 inch glove off the internet and bought the 8 inch ones from HD. I think the big one was around $30.

As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic I will!

Red

url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
happy_redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #116
DznyRulz
I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go . . . to finance our next Disney vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_redhead View Post
The head was a 16 inch globe with 8 inch ears!
I just picked these up the other day at my local HD. The first time I've found them in stock at HD or Lowes in my area. The 8" globes were around $12 each and the 16" was around $25 (I think) so right off the bat I'm about $50 in the hole. The other parts should come to around $15 so not too bad overall (imagine what Di$ney would charge). Yesterday I spent about an hour at HD looking at the PVC and the parts (time well spent in my opinion). Of course I didn't have my globe with me, or the parts list, so I grabbed another one to use and found what I needed. I get the parts home and look at my globe (16") and realize it is much larger than the one I used for measurements (12"). Doh! So today I'll go back to HD, with my globe, to get the right sized parts.

I do have a question for the more experienced since I've never done this before. When wiring the light socket to the wire, does it matter which wires are connected to which wires? I "assuming" that since I'm just making a circuit, opened and closed by the light switch, it won't make a difference but I wanted to check before I electrocute myself.

DznyRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #117
RvUsa

When wiring, remember white to silver, black to bronze. There should be 2 different colored screws on the plug, and the colors are on the wire.

John
Old 03-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #118
DznyRulz

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #119
DznyRulz

Progress So Far ...

I have finally started putting together my Mickey lamp post, I'm working on it in bits and pieces due to other projects/issues, so I thought I'd post a few pictures of my progress thus far. I'm not good with these technical terms so bear with me. Those of you in the construction or do-it-yourself-home remodeling field will know what these are.

Here is a picture of the parts I have gathered. All purchased at Home Depot. I'm using the big globes, 16" and 8".

I think this is a 4" coupler. Inside of that is a 4" to 2" coupler. I borrowed a rubber mallet at Home Depot to pound it in. We, meaning DW, decided I should use 2" PVC pipe for the post so this will sit right on top.

Here it is flipped over.

I found this light socket in the section with the metal and PVC conduit. It was on a low shelf and I looked past it a few times. It is encased in rubber for outdoor use.

I can't remember if this is a 1" or 1 1/4" threaded PVC conduit coupler. I found it in the same area as the light socket. I bought it because of the size, it just happened to be threaded.

The light socket fits very snugly into the small coupler and that fits somewhat snug into the 4" to 2" coupler. I'll hot glue the coupler in place.

The large globe fits perfectly onto the 4" coupler.

This is the first time I've really used a Dremel type tool. I have a small rechargeable Dremel that I use on occasion for light stuff but it wasn't cutting it for this job so I purchased a Black & Decker RTX. Man, does that thing have some torque. The first ear hole I cut out didn't go so well. It's not really that round (even though I did manage to trace circles where I wanted the ears) but I figure I can patch it up with the silicone. The second ear hole went almost perfect. I'm going to tack the ears in place with hot glue then silicone them. One thing I have to figure out is how to keep the Mickey head on the 4" coupler. I'm thinking some sort of screw through the globe into the coupler so I can remove it as needed.

Here are pictures of the Mickey head so far. I bought an 8' replacement power cord at Wally World.

I was hoping the ears would be brighter. This is using a 60 watt equivalent compact fluorescent bulb I had on hand.

I like the way this is turning out but I may opt to redo the large globe. I'm sort of OCD, according to DW and DS, and the not-round ear hole (you can see it below the left ear above) is going to bug me. It makes the one ear look a little off.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #120
BigDaddyRog
Ask me about my cartoon pitch
I'm all Disney'd up feeling innocent and pure
Cut up and act like a clown while ya gotta chance to embarrass those that are forced to love you.

Cant you splice into the wires just below the globe and run a smaller socket to each ear, using like the large christmas bulbs?
BigDaddyRog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: