Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #376
kaguilbeau
DIS Veteran

Thanks to all the various information provided on this thread, I was able to get my lamp completed over Thanksgiving weekend. I used bits of advice from several different posters. One thing I really wanted was for the light to illuminate into the ears. I bought a socket and screwed into the globe fitter. I purchased a "Y" adapter and screwed into the socket. Into both of the sockets of the "Y" adapter, I used a 15 watt flourescent bulb. It was long and skinny and fit right up into each ear.

Because I wanted to use the Christmas lights around the post, I think I'm going to have to run an extension cord from the string of lights and plug that into a 3-way along with the light that runs to the head. With the hard part done, I think I'll be able to figure something out!

I chose to use the floor drain from the plumbing section as my base. I felt it gave the post a 'coming from the ground' appearance. Will have to use tent stakes to secure it.

kaguilbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #377
lledman
DIS Veteran

Hubby just finished my lamp post for me last night - has been a 3 month work in progress. The globes were actually the easy part for him - got the plastic/acrylic ones from Home Depot. Our problem was finding something to secure the bottom to - we have a lot of wind and I'd hate to have it tumble. We ended up getting a large plastic flower pot (with extra holes drilled in the bottom for drainage) filled with peat gravel and in the middle a pipe that I am 99% sure is used for a stove vent (lol - I'm a lot of help I know) - it fits snugly around the lamp post pole and is about 2.5-3 feet long so that thing isn't coming out. Hubby sanded and painted the "stove" pipe black to match the other pole. I think we may get another fake ivy garland to put on around the base to pretty it up but my mom suggested getting some fake sod and a Disney village - hubby likes that idea - I'm on the fence. Yesterday I also received my personalized camping flag I had ordered from ebay and sadly my plans of putting it on the top decorative bar didn’t work out – the flag doesn’t have a big enough pocket to fit around the dowel but I think it looks just fine stuck in the bottom.

Another reason the lamp post took soo long to finish is hubby was holding it ransom until I ordered him color changing lights to go inside. I still haven’t but only because I’m no electrician and it all confuses me – I need something bright enough to light the ears – he has it set up to take 2 bulbs but even still with 2 60 watts normal ones I don’t think it’s bright enough – how do the LEDs compare????
May 2011 with the in-laws
January 2012 - no husbands allowed

Best Friends Take on the World - October 2012 PTR

lledman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #378
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

Congratulations and enjoy..it looks wonderful!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #379
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

Looks great. I finished mine last summer, but the base below the globe fills with rain water. My globe is set into a 4-3 reducer and held with three thumb screws to make the globe removable for travel. Any suggestions on how to keep the water out without sealing the globe to the reducer? It hasn't been a hazard because the socket and bulb are elevated inside the globe, but I would like to correct the problem.
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #380
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired and happy View Post
Looks great. I finished mine last summer, but the base below the globe fills with rain water. My globe is set into a 4-3 reducer and held with three thumb screws to make the globe removable for travel. Any suggestions on how to keep the water out without sealing the globe to the reducer? It hasn't been a hazard because the socket and bulb are elevated inside the globe, but I would like to correct the problem.
We went to a plumbing supply place and got a rubber gasket that fits at the bottom of the large globe. The globe now fits securely in the light fixture portion.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #381
Sinclare
DIS Veteran

I had a hard time initally finding all the parts for my first one (working on a better one now) so I got some huge globes off of amazon then adapted some electrical and pvc pipe and used a pvc floor drain for the footing (drilled holes to use tent pegs to secure it in the sandy soil at the sites. The first one I spent about $150 to make but the new one is going to run $200 or above to make.

Here is my first one, not really any frills, just the light on this one:

<embed src="http://img3.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Mpicture121" width="640" height="380" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>

Edit, humm didn't work lets try this one:

http://yfrog.com/03picture121z

darn it won't embed, have to click on link...let me try this one:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9420/picture121.mp4

Ok well, you'll have to click on a link..can't make it show up on post..sry
----------------------------------
2005 Father & Son BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd-17th; 2005 Father & Son MNSSHP Trip; Oct. 10-13th.
-----------------------------------------
2006 Father & Son & Family BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd – June 17th; 2006 Father & Son MNSSHP Camping at FW Oct. 7th – 14th
2007 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 16-July 3rd - 2008 Fort Wilderness Trip. May 31-June 18th
2009 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 27-July 14th 2010 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 12-June 26th 2012 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 30-July 15th

Last edited by Sinclare; 05-12-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Sinclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #382
doombuqqy
DIS Veteran

Subbing,,,,these are awesome!

doombuqqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #383
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclare View Post
I had a hard time initally finding all the parts for my first one (working on a better one now) so I got some huge globes off of amazon then adapted some electrical and pvc pipe and used a pvc floor drain for the footing (drilled holes to use tent pegs to secure it in the sandy soil at the sites. The first one I spent about $150 to make but the new one is going to run $200 or above to make.

Here is my first one, not really any frills, just the light on this one:

<embed src="http://img3.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Mpicture121" width="640" height="380" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>

Edit, humm didn't work lets try this one:

http://yfrog.com/03picture121z

darn it won't embed, have to click on link...let me try this one:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9420/picture121.mp4

Ok well, you'll have to click on a link..can't make it show up on post..sry
This is an old thread and you may no longer even visit the board, but I just had to say, I love the way the light changes in the Mickey Head. Wow, so pretty! I haven't gone through the whole thread, so I may find directions to make one of these in here somewhere, and if I do, I will go for that changing light effect. Loved it! If you are still around, is that a bulb doing that? No worries, I will figure it out myelf (by reading the rest of this thread! lol).

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #384
disneychck
Mouseketeer

I found a color changing light at home depot.
disneychck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #385
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

Hey all, long time since we were all chatting. How is everyone's light posts holding up? I'm in Vermont and the weather here is not always sunny to say the least. I've noticed that the chalking has yellowed and blackened over time. Anyone experience this? Any tips to spruce them up?

Thanks
Deb
Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #386
luckycharm19335
DIS Veteran

When we notice our Mickey getting a little dull and chalky looking, we give it a good spray down with 409 and let it sit a bit.
The a gentle scrubbing with a sponge and a good rinse.
Good as new.
luckycharm19335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #387
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharm19335 View Post
When we notice our Mickey getting a little dull and chalky looking, we give it a good spray down with 409 and let it sit a bit.
The a gentle scrubbing with a sponge and a good rinse.
Good as new.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Deb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: