Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005, 11:10 PM   #46
BelleChick
DIS Veteran

The best tip I have would be to take the individual kool-aid type drink packets and add them to water in the parks. You can get the water for free and you can buy a box of the drink mixes for less than $2. It saved me a lot of money my last trip.

"I go for those people that retain that something, you know, no matter how old they are; that little spirit of adventure, that appreciation of the world of fantasy and things like that. I go for them. I play to them. There's a lot of them. You know?" - Walt Disney
1993-POFQ , 1996-CBR ,1997-CBR ,1999-CSR, 2002-Off site, 2003-ASMovies, January 2004-POR, June 2004-POR, 2005-WL, 2006-Beach Club, 2007-POFQ, 2008-POFQ, 2009-AKL, June 2010-OKW, July 2010-CSR, May 2011-POFQ, June 2012-BWI, May 2013-CSR honeymoon!!!,Next trip: May 2014-AKL Studio Jambo!
BelleChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #47
DanceRC28
Wife to Greg, mommy to baby Tyler and furbabies Gracie and Chey. RIP Katie mommy will miss you always! <3

ice cream!!!

Taking a time out from the parks to eat a No Way Jose at Beaches & Cream, yum!!!!!!

DanceRC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #48
roadtripper
DIS Veteran

Man, now I'm craving a No Way Jose-- and I have to wait 2 weeks to get it!

Renting points from a DVC member was the best tip I ever got! Now we own at DVC and get to go every year!

roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:18 AM   #49
mskani
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Most of the best tips have been mentioned already. I am so glad that I found this forum in 2000--right before my family and I took our first trip to WDW. Some of the things that were beneficial to my family and I were as follows:

1) Riding in the front car of the monorail.
2) Spraying deodorant on your feet.
3) Staying offsite in a 2bd villa. It's not for everyone, but this has served my family well in our three trips. Maybe one day we'll stay onsite at one of the villas, but it's not financially feasible for us.
4) The phone tips for CRT. I talked to someone who has been to WDW at least seven times, but has never had breakfast at the castle. She mentioned that she didn't even know that you could.
5) Placing everyone's clothes in Ziploc bags. This is a major time saver in the mornings.
6) Dressing in matching shirts or colors. It makes the pictures look nicer.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #50
jjsmom
DIS Veteran

1)Best advice-Take at least 2 pair of really good walking shoes. By alternating pairs, my knees, legs and feet were not nearly as sore. Also, if one pair gets soaked, you have a backup.

2)Purchase the passporter. IMO, the best, most comprehensive guide to WDW

3)Allow LOTS of time to use the WDW transportation to get from point A to point B, especially if you have ps's at a resort.

4)Purchase a small, inexpensive wallet and keep only the necessities for your trip, like credit cards, cash, insurance card, passes, etc. It fits better in the fanny pack than my big over-stuffed everyday wallet.
jjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #51
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

What I wish I did and what I did right!

Well, we're just back and I'm already homesick for WDW! I guess that it's time to plan our next trip in a few years.

Here's a list of the things I did right, followed by a list of those things I wished I would have done. I think I would have done better with the latter if I had only found out about the DIS sooner than a few days before our trip!

WHAT I DID RIGHT
1. Had a mini-flashlight for DD for the dark rides
2. Brought earplugs DD & DS for the loud stuff (the rubber kind from Home Depot that have a string attaching them)
3. Had pre-made autograph albums for the characters we knew we would see at meals
4. Purchased an extra media disc before leaving home
5. Brought an extra suitcase, although I didn't use it
6. Had a detailed itinerary that we used as a guide
7. Got up early for the EMH's -- it was well worth the lack of sleep
8. Packed things (purchases, used items) away every night so I wouldn't have to do it the night before and miss out on a lot of fun!
9. Just went with the flow when we got there
10. Made a list of things that I needed to buy or do so I wouldn't forget to do them!!!!
11. Brought one backpack per child to hold personal autograph albums, hats, pressed pennies, wallets, etc., and a fanny pack for me, with a small camera bag that I could slip onto the strap
12. Bought things when I first saw them
13. Had mini m&m tubes for pressed penny coins

WHAT I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE / WHAT I'LL DO NEXT TIME
1. Had organized outfits per day (and weather type) in those large Hefty zip lock bags
2. Not packed as many clothes and either use the laundry service or make sure there's time in our schedule to do laundry (there wasn't time on this trip)
3. Pre-measured powdered Gatorade into the snack size zip lock bags for easy use in the parks
4. Not brought any extra toys or books other than what was needed for a 2 hour flight. The kids didn't play with them. They were too interested in the resort TV channels and storytime channel.
5. Not brought a backup camera AND disposable cameras for the kids to use (they never used them)
6. Bring only ONE sippy/sport cup per child and one to share for me & DH
7. Didn't buy things when I first saw them
8. Send down a box of snack food, etc. ahead of time so we won't have to make a grocery store run.
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #52
MNT568
DIS Veteran

My favorite tips:

1. Tying a scraf on the rented stroller. I bought a cheap bright yellow scraf with big white circles on it, I tye it to the handle of the rental stroller, we never have a problem finding our stroller, even when the CMs move it! That scraf has made 4 trips with us!

2. Bring 2 pair of sneakers for each of us.

3. When booking the trip telling CRO that it was my DS's birthday during our trip. Every PS we had that day treated my DS to something special and there was even a cake, card and balloons in our room!
MNT568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #53
back2disney
Mouseketeer

bump, I haven't been in like 20 years but I'm going in late November to early December this year and will use all these wonderful tips and add my ownI've heard its a good idea to bring warm layered cloths and gloves just in case..
back2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #54
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Disney Dining Experience. If you will be doing sit-down meals, character dining, etc, and will be staying for more than a few days, it will quickly pay for itself. It's not a dining plan, just a discount off your check (up to 10 people).
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #55
Georgieut
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG Mom
I'm new here. What is Mears?
If you stay on property starting in May they offer Magical Express. They meet you at the airport and pick up your luggage for you so no baggage claim and take you right to your hotel. You get one tag per person but my DH and I are playing golf and I called and asked for 2 extra tags for the clubs and there ya go. I guess you can check in and if you don't go up to your room or something your bags will be in your room when you get back. I thought that would be cool so I'm doing the Magical Express in June. Good luck!

The really really excited mom!
Georgieut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 AM   #56
popeyeohoh
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

1. Getting to the parks early,
  2. breaking aroung 1:00.
  3. Follow an itinerary.
  4. Stay on site
popeyeohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #57
snyderla
DVC Lori
DH loved that popcorn light so much
I wish I was sitting in a rocking chair in Frontierland

To the person who wrote about renting a car, we usually make our first stop the disney outlet store since we found out about it. We buy all of the gifts/souveniers we intend to bring back for family/friends there, then we're done with that! Our first time there I bought over $350 worth of things for $84, I found something great for everyone I wanted to bring something to, and spent way less than I thought I would! The money I saved would have covered the cost of car rental, if we would have needed one.

My best tips I've learned:

1.Buy souveniers from outlet store
2.make a first seating PS for Crystal Palace, then hit FantasyLand first thing before it gets crowded
3. bring moleskin in case of blisters & don't forget scissors to cut it (but every time I think of that, I remember the Dis poster who wrote about putting it on her thighs over irritated skin...then trying to get it off!...ouch!)
4.ride in front of monorail to or from EPCOT

Lori

PS: I almost forgot...renting DVC points! We stayed in a 2BR for less than half rack rate and LOVED IT!!! OKW! Now we own our own DVC points at SSR!

June1975 FW; July1995 FW cabins;Aug'97 POFQ;NYE '98-99; Feb'01POFQ(&day trip a week later);Oct'01CBR (1 nt at ASMo);07/02 AKL ; Oct.'03 OKW; Easter'04 Pop/(2nd trip)POFQ;Oct.'04 ASMu&Sp&(2trips) POR Sept'05 OKW& Pop&Dec'05 Swan&SSR home;Aug.'06 BWV, OKW& VWL 15 day trip! BCV Aug'07 with grandkids;Mousefest '07 OKW&CSR;CSR&OKW Oct'08 Yacht Club&BWV Dec.'09;Poly&SSR Oct.'10 ;Mar'11 AKV w/grandkids;Aug'11 AKV/SSR;Dec'12 OKW&BLT;Feb'13 OKW; Oct'13 SSR THVJust 1 more resort until I reach my dream of staying at each of the Disney owned resorts in WDW! Oct.'14 VGC in DL

Last edited by snyderla; 04-10-2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: forgot one thing!
snyderla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #58
foxfire
I wonder what rock I've been hiding under?
Well, doggone it. Now, y'all have my tastebuds all quivery
My cat is infamous around here for having dingleberries...thus, he is a scooter

a blowup cushion for long waits on the curb or metal bleachers

This may not be a priority for a lot of folks but I don't like getting a numb tushie from sitting on hard surfaces for a long time!

I bought a bath pillow at Dollar Tree. It doesn't take up much room in a backpack & is lightweight. The one I got is velour covered & since it's small it doesn't take long to inflate. It sure helps keep me more comfy & I don't walk funny when I get up after a long sit on a hard curb!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #59
tigeress2474
Earning My Ears

I asked the ladies in my local mommies group where to take my DS first hair cut. Someone told me to wait until I get to WDW and get it done there. I can't wait for this. His hair is not that long so I can wait 29 more days until I get there.
All the tips I read here are great ones.

Jennifer

Pop Century 5/10/2005
All Star Movies 5/15/2003
offsite 1997
offsite 1995
to many times to count
tigeress2474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #60
partyofive
I am the SCRAPBOOKING QUEEN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar
I don't think anyone's mentioned the Disney Dining Experience. If you will be doing sit-down meals, character dining, etc, and will be staying for more than a few days, it will quickly pay for itself. It's not a dining plan, just a discount off your check (up to 10 people).
Is the Dining Experience available for me even though i am not staying at a Disney Resort??

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: