Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Favorite chicken dishes?

I'm getting tired of my current chicken repertoire. We often go a month or more having only chicken. It's not as boring as it sounds - most of the ways I make it don't taste like "chicken on a plate" if you know what I mean.

Anyway, what are your favorites? (I'm talking about using pieces, not roasting a chicken.)

In addition to replacing beef with chicken in chili & tacos, I've been making these:
Chimichangas & Quesadillas
Fried Rice and Stir Fry
Chicken Divan
Durban Spiced Roast Chicken Salad (Boma! Mmmmmm!)
Almond Chicken with Almond Sauce
Chicken Cordon Bleu (both real & as a casserole)
Chicken Pie
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Cheez-Its Chicken
Pot-Pie (like stew, not regular pie)

Grilled chicken marinades I don't do as often in winter, but when I do I just bake them.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
wtpclc
Has three great loves: Mickey, Pooh, & the Wings.
Occasionally has "bear of very little brain" moments

I havbe a cheater version of chicken caccitore (sp?). I dump chicken pieces and spaghetti sauce in the crock pot with some additional spices. Serve over spaghetti with some mozerella on top. The chicken has great flavor and is very tender.

My First Marathon Report
wtpclc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Cruise04
Oh that is so incredibly cool!
Grape jelly and chili sauce YUM

I like to put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup for 4 pieces of chicken, cook on low all day. Make either noodles or rice to put the chicken and soup over. Chicken is usually nice and moist and yummy.
Cruise04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Disneyaholic
DIS Veteran

Just tonight I used leftover chicken for some chicken a la king. I sauteed some onions and celery, then added a can of cream of mushroom soup and some milk. Threw in some frozen peas and cut-up cooked chicken. We usually serve it over ripped toast pieces, but it's good over rice, noodles, or biscuits as well. EASY!!!!!
Disneyaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State
Gardening is a fun and rewarding hobby

Orange chicken, Korean chicken, General Tsao's Chicken, Teriyaki chicken...
mommytotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
piratesmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo
Orange chicken, Korean chicken, General Tsao's Chicken, Teriyaki chicken...
Can you share your recipes for these?

Thanks everyone for the ideas so far! I know I didn't specify it in the OP but I'm especially interested in recipes that don't use soups or things with a lot of fat. Not that there's anything wrong with those - and from my original list you can see that we do use those things. It's just that I try to limit them.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:15 AM   #7
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy ºoº
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

my family's favorite is chicken with corn flakes -
dip the chicken in egg wash
cover with crushed cornflakes
sprinkle with garlic powder
dab with butter or margarine
bake

it is yummy!!

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
inky dinky doo
I've got the best cure for the blues. Schedule another trip to Walt Disney World, now!
The only problem with losing weight is that I'm beginning to look like a rapper

The first three of these are low carb favorites, but they're so yummy, you'd never know they're low carb.

Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff

When this went into the family recipe book (my Mom published one for the reunion this summer), we called this Steph's Smothered Chicken. But around our house, it's just "Yummy chicken stuff." Creative, aren't we?

2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. mayo
1/2 packet dry hidden valley dressing mix
1-2 T. heavy cream (optional)
3-4 cans of sliced mushrooms, or fresh
1/4 c. (or more) grated parmesan cheese

Place thawed (a little frozen yet still works) chicken breasts in a single layer in a baking dish. Spread mushrooms over the chicken, trying to keep them on the chicken. Mix together sour cream, mayo, dressing mix, and cream until blended. Place large dollups of the mixture on each breast, then spread it out so that it covers all meat and mushrooms. Sprinkle grated cheese on top until covered (the more cheese, the more "crusty" it gets). Bake at 375 until top is starting to get orange-brown and crusty - about 45-60 minutes.

Using a metal spatula, serve onto a plate, trying to keep the yummy stuff on top of each breast intact. The chicken will be very juicy and the stuff on top is very yummy, hence our name for it!

Things not to do:

I (Steph) once tried to make this into a casserole by dicing up the chicken first. I ended up with tough little pieces of chicken that were not very juicy. The shredded (fancy) parmesan cheese, instead of the grated, turns to little hard shards when browned that stab you as you try to eat it, or if not as browned, are still too "crunchy."

This is without a doubt the most popular recipe on the PP site! I've never heard of anyone who doesn't love it. This is one I've had requests for, too, again by non-LCers! There are lots of variations, including a Mexican one!

Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff - Mexican Version

6 boned and skinned chicken breast halves
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1 t. cumin powder
3 T. Tabasco green pepper sauce
2 T. heavy cream
3 cans mushroom stems and pieces -- drained
4 oz. green chiles
1/4 c. shredded Colby-Jack cheese

Place chicken breasts in a single layer baking dish. Spread mushrooms and chiles over the chicken, trying to keep them on the chicken. Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cumin, tabasco sauce and cream until blended. Place large dollops of the mixture on each breast, then spread it out so that it covers all meat and mushrooms. Sprinkle cheese on top until covered. Bake at 375 until the top is starting to get brown and crusty, about 45-60 minutes.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 256 Calories; 14g Fat (50.4% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 324mg Sodium

Linda Sue’s Seoul Chicken

This is very delicious and extremely easy to make! The crispy skin turns a beautiful, bronze color and the flavor is slightly sweet. If desired, shred the meat and serve rolled up in leaf lettuce. Add about 1 carb per 3 leaves to total count. I have also made this using boneless chicken breasts grilled on my indoor contact grill and it's very good. One of these days I'll try grilling it on the outdoor grill and I think that will be the best yet.

6-8 chicken thighs, skin on
5 T. soy sauce
1/4 c. Splenda or a scant 1/2 t. liquid Splenda
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 c. green onion, chopped
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. sesame oil
5 T. water
Xanthan gum (optional)

Place chicken pieces in a gallon size ziploc bag. Mix remaining ingredients, except xanthan gum, in a small bowl. Pour into bag with chicken. Close bag and knead gently to coat all chicken pieces. Place in a shallow pan, just in case the bag leaks. Put in fridge and marinate at least 1 hour, turning bag over occasionally.

Dump entire contents of the bag into a 9x13" glass baking pan. Arrange thighs skin side up. Bake at 425º for 35-40 minutes until meat is done. Remove chicken from baking pan to serving platter; keep warm. Skim most of fat off juices remaining in pan and pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and lightly sprinkle xanthan over liquid while whisking briskly. Be careful not to let it get too thick. Stop before you think it's thick enough or you'll get glue. Serve sauce over chicken. Unthickened pan juices can also be served over the chicken and are very tasty over Fried "Rice."

Makes 6-8 servings. With granulated Splenda — (6 servings - 3 net carbs each) (8 servings - 2 net carbs each) / With liquid Splenda — (6 servings - 2 net carbs each) (8 servings - 1.5 net carbs each)

IDEA: Next time I may try adding a little grated orange peel and maybe a drop or two of orange extract for a flavor similar to General Tso's Chicken.

Sour Cream Enchiladas

12 corn tortillas
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
4 c. cooked and shredded chicken or beef
1 onion, chopped
Cooking oil
1 pint sour cream
Enchilada sauce

Soften tortillas in hot oil. Remove and drain well on paper towel. Filling: Mix sour cream, cooked meat, onion and 1 c. of cheese. Place some filling in each tortilla and roll up. Place rolled tortillas side by side in a 13x9 inch pan. Warm enchilada sauce and pour over all. Top with second c. of cheese. Bake at 350° for 15-20 min. or until cheese and sauce are bubbling and hot. ENJOY!!!

The Thigh Who Loved Me

3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12 pieces)
3/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. salsa
1/4 c. honey
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
1 T. cornstarch

Trim off any visible fat from chicken. Arrange thighs in a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, salsa, honey, Dijon mustard, chili powder, and cumin until well blended. Pour sauce over chicken. Turn pieces to coat both sides with sauce. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. When chicken is done, arrange thighs on a serving platter and keep warm. Pour sauce into a small saucepan, skimming off as much fat as possible. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Add to sauce. Bring to a boil, and cook until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Pour extra sauce over chicken or serve it on the side as a dipping sauce. Makes 4 to 6 servings

Note, Chicken breasts or drumsticks can be used in place of thighs. If using chicken breasts, bake them for 30 minutes instead of 45.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Garlic Sauce

I made this last night and it was easy and delicious! You can add more or less garlic to suit your tastes too. I used 3 of those really big cloves in mine and it was great..

First cook the chicken:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half legnthwise
grated parmesan cheese for dredging
canola oil for frying

Toss the chicken fillets in the parmesan cheese to coat. Then, dip them in beaten egg, and re-dip them in the parmesan cheese. Fry in the oil until brown and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Pour out oil.

For the sauce:
2 T. butter
3 large cloves of garlic (or 4-5 small)-pressed or minced
1/2 pint whipping cream
1/2 c. parmesan cheese

In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the pressed garlic and let it saute for 30 seconds or so. You don't want it brown, or the butter burnt! add the cream and the parmesan cheese and let it cook on low heat until you're ready to eat. When you're ready, plate the chicken and spoon sauce over it.

I like this dish with broccoli. My family loved it!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I've also been known to make sweet and sour chicken by just breading and frying chicken strips and then serving them with the following sauce and either stir fried veggies or fried rice.

Sweet and Sour Sauce

1/4 c. catsup
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. water
2 T. lemon juice
2 t. soy sauce
1 T. cornstarch mixed with 2 T. cold water

In a small saucepan, put the catsup, sugar, water, vinegar, lemon juice and soy sauce. Stir to blend, and place over high heat. Just before the sauce comes to a boil, slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly, and continue to heat until thickened. Remove from the heat.
inky dinky doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #9
piratesmate

I'd forgotten about that dizney-cruiser! My mother used corn flakes that way often instead of bread crumbs. Thanks for sharing! Another good idea to add to the list!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
kellyb2000
I admit it...my username is boring!

Steph's yummy chicken stuff sounds, well, yummy! But what if you don't like mushrooms? If you leave them out will it mess up the yummy taste? I'm one of those people that likes the taste of stuff but not necessarily the "stuff".

kellyb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
Cruise04

I do get a couple of different flavors of bread crumbs (Catalina has several different and they are all tasty) and bread chicken breasts (again boneless, skinless). Sometimes I'll dip them in egg but I try to limit that because of the cholesterol that my dh needs to stay away from. I also spray them with cooking spray and then coat them in the breadcrumbs. Put in a shallow baking dish (coated with some cooking spray to help with burning and sticking), bake in preheated oven at 375 for 20 minutes, turn bake for another 25 minutes. Depending on the size of the chicken breasts you can cook the chicken longer. Sometimes I cook it for an hour.

If you use italian bread crumbs you can make like a parmesean chicken by adding some spaghetti sauce over the chicken and some mozzarella cheese and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes and serve with spaghetti. Or not coat it with the sauce and cheese but serve it over the sauced spaghetti noodles.

We have this a lot.

Also with the soups, I do get the 98 or 99% fat free cream of mushroom soup so it helps with the fat content because we don't like a lot of fat in our foods.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
yummy72
DIS Cast Member

At a cooking class last night where I work (gourmet kitchen store) the chef did a class on Light and Healthy Lo-Carb and she simply dipped chicken breasts into Siracha chile sauce and baked them until done. Then she sliced them and topped off with a yogurt/lemon/dill sauce which toned down the heat from the chile sauce.(If you don't know what this is, I found a link on the internet, it's a garlic-chile sauce:http://www.drhot.net/siracha.html) It was amazingly easy and tasted great. By the way the Siracha sauce is an awesome condiment on anything. Everyone around here uses it like ketchup and even puts it on pizza.

Another couple of chicken recipes I like are:

Basil Grilled Chicken

¾ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
4 skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Press ¾ pepper into meaty sides of chicken breasts. Combine 1/3 cup melted butter and ¼ cup chopped basil; stir well. Brush chicken lightly with melted butter mixture.

Combine ½ cup softened butter, 2 tablespoons basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Beat at low speed until well blended and smooth. Transfer to small serving bowl; set aside.

Grill chicken over medium coals 8-10 minutes on each side, basting frequently with remaining butter mixture. Serve grilled chicken with basil-butter mixture.
(I've also baked the chicken breasts or used the indoor grill)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buffalo Strips

3 pounds chicken tenders
1-cup all-purpose flour
vegetable oil
½ cup hot sauce (i.e. Tabasco)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
celery sticks
carrot sticks
1 (8-ounce) bottle blue cheese dressing

Dredge chicken tenders lightly in flour. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven, and heat to 375 degree. Fry tenders in batches, 12 minutes or until golden. Drain. Stir together hot sauce and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add tenders, tossing to coat. Pour tenders and sauce into greased baking dish, bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until tenders are done. Serve with carrot and celery sticks and blue cheese dressing for dipping. These are much heartier and easier to eat than the traditional “wings”.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friends dubbed this recipe “Magic Chicken” and it is always requested when we get together…It can be easily adjusted to serve 2 or 20, just increase the amounts of butter, lime and garlic, and tastes great grilled indoors or out, or baked in the oven. I usually serve it Mexican style with rice, refried beans and warm flour tortillas.

“Magic Chicken”

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
juice of 4 medium limes
4-5 large cloves garlic, minced

Sauce:
1 –8 ounce carton sour cream
2 Tablespoons honey
1 jalapeno pepper seeded to taste

Combine butter, lime juice and garlic in shallow dish. (Reserving small amount for basting if you are planning to grill your chicken indoors or out) Add chicken and marinate at least 30 minutes to and hour.

Meanwhile combine sour cream, honey and jalapeno pepper in a blender until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

To grill chicken indoors or out, remove chicken breasts from marinade and grill until outside is crisp and inside is no longer pink, brushing frequently with reserved marinade.

To bake in oven, remove chicken breast from marinade and place in a oven proof baking dish, top with reserved marinade and bake until outside is crisp and inside is no longer pink.

Serve chicken breasts topped with a dollop of “Magic Sauce”. Serves 4.
yummy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:04 AM   #13
inky dinky doo
I've got the best cure for the blues. Schedule another trip to Walt Disney World, now!
The only problem with losing weight is that I'm beginning to look like a rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb2000
Steph's yummy chicken stuff sounds, well, yummy! But what if you don't like mushrooms? If you leave them out will it mess up the yummy taste? I'm one of those people that likes the taste of stuff but not necessarily the "stuff".
That wouldn't be a problem at all, Kelly. My daughter doesn't like mushrooms, either, and I always leave them off of her portion.
inky dinky doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:22 AM   #14
twojo21
disney bride 32106

chicken scampi

umm..think olive garden

March 21st 2006 the day our dreams came true.
twojo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
Cruise04

I tried that Basil Grilled Chicken tonight and O M G!!!!! WOW, awesome chicken. I had some of the butter mixture leftover and so I put it in the freezer (wrapped good so it wouldn't get freezer burn) and will have it ready for another batch of chicken in a couple of weeks. Definitely a dish to try. And because my husband has to watch how much fat he has I let him put on the butter mixture the amount that he would want on his. But as soon as they came off the grill, the butter mixture went on the other pieces and it was AWESOME!!!! Tasted good on the baked potatoes too.

I'm also thinking maybe it would be good with some Angel Hair pasta with the butter mixture put into the pasta, then put the chicken breasts on top of the pasta with some more of the butter mixture to top off the chicken. I might try it next time.

Thanks for the recipe. (OH, and it was very easy to make).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: