Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
readytogotodisney
DIS Veteran

thinking about a solo trip

I'm a mom of a 4 yr old and nearly 1 yr old. I LOVE my kids dearly, and tried for years to have them, but I'm tired, and I need a little break.
My DH is going on a golf trip with his friends next weekend, so it's mom's turn to take a short trip!

Researching where/when, and being the Disney fanatic that I am, I of course am thinking about!!

A couple of different versions of this possible trip are running through my head right now and I need like minded people to bounce some ideas off of.

W[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]here:[/COLOR]
I could either do a value (thinking about Pop) with 1 park day (I only really want to do WS by myself, I love wandering around WS).

OR value with sometime at a spa.

OR a moderate (CSR or POR) with no parks or spa, just time by the pool and DTD.

When:

I was originally thinking sometime in August, but then I thought about F&W!

So either August (probably 16-18)

OR
for F&W (either 20-22 or 27-29).

Somethings that are keeping me from deciding.
1) we have a DW/DCL stay booked and paid for coming up for the beginning of Nov (would Sept be too close to our Nov trip? maybe better to spread them out a bit?) and another trip to DW planned for Jan (reason I'm good with a short trip, possibly without doing the parks

2) I love to eat, and try new things, perfect for F&W

3) I've never stayed at a value, we usually travel on DVC points.

4) It's hard for me to think about paying the spa prices at Disney. I live in a small town in Indiana where a hour long massage is $60, compared to the $140 for a 50 min at a Disney spa

If you've ready this much, thank you! If you have any advice I thank you again!!
DL - 10/12 DCL - 4/13 ~ Dream 11/14 ~Dream
readytogotodisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
stasijane
Crazed one

I think some you time is a fantastic idea. I love my "Me" trips. I come back in a better mood I dont think that the trips will be too close together but thats something only you can decide. I do think though that since its only going to be you staying in the room the Value would be fine since you dont have to worry about space and its a short trip as well so unless you are just against a value then why not
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

I am also planning a solo trip - very fun! I've done a couple before so I kind of have a method. I'm not a spa girl so I usually spend time at the resort pool and Epcot. I also love wandering the WS without DH or DD pulling me here and there. I think F&W is a great idea! And I don't think it would be too close to your other trip. I would pick the best pool themed Value and spend a day at Epcot. Or maybe you could rent points and stay at SSR for the same $$ - then you could use that as a home base to resort hop (walk to DTD and catch resort buses there). I had a blast doing that a few weeks ago. You will really enjoy your trip!
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Waiting2goback
Mouseketeer

I am a stay-at-home dad of 4. I am doing my third solo trip in October. This one has a different twist as I am running the Tower of Terror race. But, I think you will find this trip will be so much different than your other scheduled trip so even if they are 2 weeks apart it won't be too close. Going on your own, not having to worry about anything but yourself, is the real vacation so it doesn't really matter where it is.

If you can do a spa near home for $60 I would do the park instead. Going through the parks at your own pace is better in my opinion. Besides, a vacation is for something you can't do at home. At home you can do a spa day. You can't do the parks at home.

That's my take but I am also a guy and have never done a spa day so I don't know what it's like. I do know that if I had the option right now to have a massage or go to Disney for a day I am at Disney 100% of the time.

Also, as far as resorts. I have stayed at All-Star Sports and POP on my previous solo trips. I did not like POP at all. I am going back to Sports this next trip (unless I can get a good last minute DVC deal, then I will do that). Maybe try AoA. I heard their food court is excellent.
Waiting2goback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
SueDonym3
Earning My Ears

I have never done Disney spa-...but I prefer to spend the time in the park. I am a Food & Wine fan and have a solo booked for end of Sept for that purpose...and a trip with friends for first week of Dec...may be too close-but the two trips are so different even if they were a week apart it would be different experiences. I have stayed deluxe, moderate and value-Pop is my favorite value and my preferred solo hotel...because I spend the time in the park. Only you can decide what you want to spend your money on-but I am a fan of Pop and the F&W. Whatever you decide-have a fabulous trip-you deserve it!
SueDonym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Lori77
Mouseketeer

Solo Trip

Hi, I am also headed down likely solo for a few days. I have done the spa at the GF before, and it was awesome. I know it is more costly, but when I was there it was well worth it compared to my local spa.

For me, I plan on lounging by the pool and then either heading to EP or MK. I may get a hopper for one day just so I can ride Mine Train, then do WS in the evening. For the pool, I may try a water park, as it will be awesome to swim and do the slides when I want to, not with kiddos dragging me all over!

I have stayed at POP and love the vibe. The pool bar is fun and they have great drinks. This last time, however, I was not impressed with the food court, which may make me lean toward upgrading to CBR or CS. AoA is also fun, but I want to save that for a family trip.

Hope you have a great time no matter what you decide!!!

2013 trips: Feb 10-15, 2013 at AsMo & May 2013 at Pop
Last trip: Wishes Do Come True! 10th Anniversary Trip April 26-30, 2014 at POP!

Next trip: Solo! August 24-26, 2014 undecided on hotel...CBR, CS, or ?
Lori77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
readytogotodisney
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone.
I'm very excited that I got over the guilt, and booked a trip for myself Aug 22-25.
I've got a water park day planned and then another day day park hopping. FP for 7D, Peter Pan and Splash Mtn, hopefully a FP for BOG, eating and drinking around the world in the evening, and maybe starting at AK for Lion King and Kali (both I've never done before).

No spa, but just doing what I want, when I want, without stopping to please someone else. this is going to be such a different trip!
DL - 10/12 DCL - 4/13 ~ Dream 11/14 ~Dream
readytogotodisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Lori77
Mouseketeer

Congrats!

You will have a great time! I will be there August 24-26. I haven't decided which hotel yet. AsMu is a great colorful place!

2013 trips: Feb 10-15, 2013 at AsMo & May 2013 at Pop
Last trip: Wishes Do Come True! 10th Anniversary Trip April 26-30, 2014 at POP!

Next trip: Solo! August 24-26, 2014 undecided on hotel...CBR, CS, or ?
Lori77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
JABRacingOne
Earning My Ears

Solo From Indy

I know where you are coming from. I have three daughters 13, 8 and 7 years old and a wife who has taken several "girls" trips by herself in the past. This will be my first vacation anywhere without my family. I think I am overdue. I have always bought no expire tickets and have 5 days left over from previous trips. I am staying off site on timeshare points and flying on frequent flier miles. I am all about the parks and can't wait. I will not feel guilty doing this!
JABRacingOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: