Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

You went to Disney? But you don't have kids.

Ok fellow adults, excuse me while I vent my annoyance with people today. I have talked to at least three people in the past week about Disney and each of them had the exact same response... "You went to Disney?? But you don't have kids?" or "Your planning a Disney trip? I didn't think you had kids"

Oh if they only knew the pleasure of experiencing Disney without little ones. I think I'll go back to talking Disney on the Dis and leave my friends out of the Disney conversations. Next time they ask me about my vacations I am just going to say, "you wouldn't understand".
Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
Aaeolien
Mouseketeer

Didn't you know ONLY people with kids goto disney in the real world? You must be some freak of nature to go without kids. :P I am kidding of course. I would love to someday take an adults only trip and leave the little guy at home. So many things to see and do for all ages.

Past trip: 1st trip ever - Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside

Next trip: 4th of July, 2013 - Saratoga Springs

Future Trips: Feb 2014 - Coronado Springs or Beach Club
Aaeolien is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

Some people just aren't in touch with their inner child. Others have had that child taken out back and shot. Don't let their judgements rain on your fun.

I've been getting lately the "But you were just there in May," responses, as if that's some kind of resaon not to go. To me, it's like saying "You're eating lunch? But you had lunch yesterday!" I'll go when I want, thanks!

Lifetime WDW Visits: 6 (Plus 1 DL)
When leaving Disney, heed the advice of the Ghost Hostess and...
"Hurry Baaaack! Hurry Baaaack!"
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Ryan1989
Earning My Ears

I go to Disney all the time and I dont have kids, and I understand the frustration completley!! I even created a blog for us people who enjoy Disney without kids!

2001 offsite 2006 All Star Music 2007 Boardwalk August 2011 Pop Century December 2011 All Star Music October 2012 All Star Music December 2012 Coronado SpringsMay 2013 Old Key West September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani November 2013 Coronado Springs ResortDecember 2013 PolynesianMay 2014 OKW/Pop (Everest Challenge)
Ryan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Didn't you know ONLY people with kids goto disney in the real world? You must be some freak of nature to go without kids. :P I am kidding of course. I would love to someday take an adults only trip and leave the little guy at home. So many things to see and do for all ages.
In the reverse, DH and I talk about how different of an experience it will be if we have kids to take one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Some people just aren't in touch with their inner child. Others have had that child taken out back and shot. Don't let their judgements rain on your fun.

I've been getting lately the "But you were just there in May," responses, as if that's some kind of resaon not to go. To me, it's like saying "You're eating lunch? But you had lunch yesterday!" I'll go when I want, thanks!
I always embrace my inner child and we have loads of fun in Disney. Adult me is left at the airport. We went canoeing this past weekend with my dad and he tried to convince me it was better than any ride in Disney. Sorry dad, Disney beets a canoe down the river any day of the week.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Sea Turtles
Mouseketeer

My wife and I get this all the time! With or without kids far be it from me to question a person's personal preference and what they do with their money.

I wonder if people are genuinely confused about adult trips or just envious...
Sea Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
winthropf
Mouseketeer

I'm just a big kid.
winthropf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1989 View Post
I go to Disney all the time and I dont have kids, and I understand the frustration completley!! I even created a blog for us people who enjoy Disney without kids!
I knew people here would understand! Disney is too fun to have a kid holding me back anyway. I'm embracing my kid free years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Turtles View Post
My wife and I get this all the time! With or without kids far be it from me to question a person's personal preference and what they do with their money.

I wonder if people are genuinely confused about adult trips or just envious...
Exactly! Maybe I should start commenting on their trips and see how they like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winthropf View Post
I'm just a big kid.
Big kids have more fun anyway
Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
mamaode
Mouseketeer

Haha. Same here. I always get the "HOW many times did you go last year???" And " WITHOUT kids??" It's funny. I usually then Like to throw in well I did have a season pass (I live in Michigan) it makes me laugh at the crazy face they make. I usually have a couple business trips in the Orlando area and Anaheim area so I'm lucky to piggyback business trips
mamaode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

When I would get back to work after another Disney vacation I would be met with the typical, 'Disney is for kids' and 'you don't even have kids, why would you go to Disney' or 'wouldn't you have more fun in a more grown up place'. There were a lot of things I wanted to say to them (using a vast array of 'adult words'), but usually I just wound up saying 'oh, you've never been to Disney.'

We definitely don't need to explain our Disney addiction to anyone. To each his/her own, I suppose. I personally don't see the fun in laying on a beach for a week. I'd rather be stalking Chip and Dale for pictures, flirting with Gaston, or showing Ariel my whosits, whatsits, and thingamabobs!

EpicBilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
nerderella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APiratesLifeForMe2 View Post
I always embrace my inner child and we have loads of fun in Disney. Adult me is left at the airport. We went canoeing this past weekend with my dad and he tried to convince me it was better than any ride in Disney. Sorry dad, Disney beets a canoe down the river any day of the week.
Do we have the same dad?
nerderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
andieb0602
Mouseketeer

DH and I are taking an anniversary trip and we've started telling people that we're going to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival vs. telling them we're going to Disney because of the strange looks we get. It's true, we are going for F&W, but we started planning an adults-only trip when we came back from our first trip as a family and realized how much we missed seeing because we were so busy watching the kids' reactions to things. We're both looking forward to doing what WE want, when we want to.

Our Anniversary trip is an excuse so we can book a bounceback!

Me, DH, DD(7) DS(5)
5/2012 - Our first ever, super-surprise trip to the World at CSR!
andieb0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
mtabh
Earning My Ears

We have kid(s) and would LOVE to do an adults only WDW trip! Good for you!

December 2012 at All Star Movies (Mighty Ducks)
Booked: April 2015 at AoA (Little Mermaid)

mtabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
rootbeer
Mouseketeer

DW and I took the DD, and 3 DGD's to DLR last April. We all had a great time, but DW and I came home saying the same thing...we gotta go back by ourselves! So we are! Just booked DLH for March 2015. We have been many times since we became empty nesters, and love it. Something special about taking it in leisurely with a special spouse or friend. DW and I have been to WDW 3 times now, the last time was by ourselves, and we had a great time. We've taken the kids many times, and I'm sure we will again. Wouldn't trade those memories for any thing, but to say you need kids to enjoy it well..if you don't understand now, you probably never will. Just the Peter Pan in me I guess

Give me all the churros and no one gets hurt
rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
ep4244
I'll get you my pretty and your little tag fairy too

Quote:
Originally Posted by APiratesLifeForMe2 View Post
Ok fellow adults, excuse me while I vent my annoyance with people today. I have talked to at least three people in the past week about Disney and each of them had the exact same response... "You went to Disney?? But you don't have kids?" or "Your planning a Disney trip? I didn't think you had kids"

Oh if they only knew the pleasure of experiencing Disney without little ones. I think I'll go back to talking Disney on the Dis and leave my friends out of the Disney conversations. Next time they ask me about my vacations I am just going to say, "you wouldn't understand".
It's just as bad as the responses I get when I say I'm going to Disney, but not taking my kids. "How can you go without your wonderful, beautiful, well behaved little girls (ok, that's my kids saying that to me), but people I know say generally the same thing.

My response, easy, I book a hotel and I go. I figure for every 4 times I've taken my kids I've gone once by myself.

Disneyland
March 2014 - Carousel Inn & Suites

DisneyWorld
Jan 2014 - Pop Century
Oct 2013 - Port Orleans FQ
July 2013 - Portofino Bay
May 2013 - Portofino Bay
July 2012 - Coronado Springs / Hard Rock Hotel December 2011 (solo B-day trip)
July 2010 Contemporary / Hard Rock Universal
December 2009 Contemporary
August 2008 Hard Rock Hotel Universal
June/July 2007 Coronado Springs/Hard Rock Hotel Universal
Dec 2006 AKL
March 2006 Coronado Springs
December 2005 Coronado Springs (Solo B-day Trip)
July 2005 BWI/Contemporary July 2004 Offisite - Sheraton Safari
ep4244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: