Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #91
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

Bar Cookies

I haven't looked thru this whole thread, so I hope this is not a repeat:

Pillsbury Coconut Crunch Pretzel Bars (a favorite recipe from Bake-Off contest #37):

Crust:
1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate Cake Mix
1/2 cup crushed pretzels
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1 egg

Filling:
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
2 eggs
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup butterscotch chips
2-1/4 cups coconut
1 (6 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9 inch pan. In large bowl, combine all crust ingredients; mix at low speed until blended. Press in bottom of greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until crust puffs and appears dry. Cool 5 minutes.

Meanwhile in large bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 2 eggs; mix at low speed until well blended. Stir in remaining filling ingredients. Spoon evenly over partially baked crust.

Return to oven; bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until edges are deep golden brown (center will not be set). Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled. Cut into bars. Store in loosely covered container. Makes 36 bars. No change for high altitude.
mtblujeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #92
PhotobearSam
Extraordinaire!
Took 1245 trip pictures!!
Bébé, Moozer, Chewie, & Jax's Mom

thank you all so much!

I just made a batch of "Carrot" cake mix cookies and I made sandwhiches out of them with cream cheese icing between 2 cookies. My DH said to forget all other types as this is the best...

Thanks to this thread, I was a big hit with my nieces when they came over. We made Butter Pecan chocolate chip, frosted and put sprinkles on them. We had a blast. I am now a COOL AUNT

Our 4 children Kitties.... Bébé (1992-2012 , Moozer (1992-2011) Chewie (6) & Jax (4) photobearsam@rogers.com
16 trips so far next one January 14-16 2013 at ASSports for a mini trip. I can't wait to go back. I have been Sprung by Hixski
To clarify one of my TAGS...I took 1245 pics on our trip to WDW in 2001. This was pre-digital and all pics were on FILM!
PhotobearSam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #93
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotobearSam View Post
I just made a batch of "Carrot" cake mix cookies and I made sandwhiches out of them with cream cheese icing between 2 cookies. My DH said to forget all other types as this is the best...
Wow, that sounds yummy. I always hate how there is so much more carrot cake to a thin layer of icing. Sandwiching it in between sounds like it really hits the spot!
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #94
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

And carrot cake counts as one of your 5 portions of fruit and veg per day, right?
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #95
PhotobearSam
Extraordinaire!

Quote:
And carrot cake counts as one of your 5 portions of fruit and veg per day, right?

Ummm, SURE,,, Whatever you say.

Our 4 children Kitties.... Bébé (1992-2012 , Moozer (1992-2011) Chewie (6) & Jax (4) photobearsam@rogers.com
16 trips so far next one January 14-16 2013 at ASSports for a mini trip. I can't wait to go back. I have been Sprung by Hixski
To clarify one of my TAGS...I took 1245 pics on our trip to WDW in 2001. This was pre-digital and all pics were on FILM!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #96
MazdaUK

How did you make up your cream cheese icing? I've got a Betty Crocker mix but I've only got low fat soft cheese in the house
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
Old 02-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #97
PhotobearSam
Extraordinaire!

I got it in a can... I can't cook but I think that the REAL thing would be better.

Sorry i can't help.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #98
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

I just made a simple bar recipe yesterday with a four year old:

Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
1pkg yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 (12oz) jar raspberry jam, I used strawberry
1T. water
Combine cake mix and oats. Stir in melted margarine until mixture is crumbly. Put about 3 cups of mixture in a 9X13 pan and press firmly. Combine jam and water and spoon over crumb mixtures, spread evenly. Cover with remaining crumb mixture, make top even by patting firmly. Bake 375 for 20 minutes. Cool before cutting into bars.

I only had an 18oz jar of jam so I just used it and glad I did.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #99
PhotobearSam
Extraordinaire!

I have seen some recipies like this one where you can use apple sauce instead of oil? Has anyone tried them? If so, how did you do it? Did it come out ok? Did you use sweetened or unsweetened appla sauce? How much of it?

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #100
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

The oil & eggs are the only liquid, you'd still have to keep some oil in to make the cookie dough moist enough. Also, taking out ALL the fat changes the texture & crispiness of the cookies, so it's kind of an inexact science as to how much you want to substitute.

http://www.ochef.com/225.htm

Substitutes for Fat in Baking

Can I substitute applesauce instead of oil when baking cookies? My recipe calls for 1 cup of oil, but I would like to make a recipe with fewer calories.

You absolutely can experiment with substituting applesauce for some of the fat in traditional recipes for baked goods. But fats play various important roles in baking, and messing with them too severely can cause problems.

One of the most important tasks played by the fat is keeping the flour proteins from mixing with the moisture in a batter and forming long strands of gluten that will make cakes and cookies tough...

To help cut down on the formation of gluten, mix the liquid ingredients and sugar well (using an electric mixer if practical to beat as much air into it as possible). Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and don’t combine the two until the last moment. Then mix them gently by hand, and as little as possible. Gluten begins to form as soon as the flour comes in contact with a liquid and gets more active the more you stir it.

Fat plays a role in determining the shape and texture of a finished cookie — butter in cookies causes them to spread, producing crispness; cookies with vegetable shortening do not spread, and are more cake-like. You won’t be able to produce a crisp cookie with a fruit puree.

Finally, fat has a lot to do with carrying the flavor and nutrients in baking, so you should not do away with it entirely, or you’ll just lose a lot of the flavor...

Why not use a half a cup of applesauce and 2 tablespoons of oil in your cookie recipe and see how it turns out? That’s almost 1,600 calories fewer than the recipe started with. You might have more success (and be more satisfied) with cakes and muffins made with fruit purees, but starting with cookies is a daring move and you may surprise us all.

Another site says:
Yes, applesauce is a good choice since it does not have a pronounced flavor or color that would greatly change the baked product. The greater the proportion of applesauce used for oil, the more difference you will see in your finished product. Try substituting about 1/3 of the oil first, and alter the amount accordingly from there on.

Oh, and I read: make sure you use UNSWEETENED applesauce.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 12-11-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #101
bensenc
Earning My Ears

sounds excellent! thanks or sharing!

bensenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #102
RLccweems
DIS Veteran

I'm going to try this...I need four dozen for church and this sounds easy.

lettie
Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #103
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Bumping! The weather's getting cooler again. Kids are back in school. Bake sales are starting. Holiday plans are in the making. It's time to turn ovens back on & fill the house with the scent of fresh baked cookies. Yum!

Here's a simple cookie, only 2 ingredients! (No need to add the oil & eggs listed in the first post.) Although I think I'd add some dried cranberries & walnuts or white chocolate chips. Maybe top with a cream cheese frosting.

Pumpkin Spice Cookie

1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and pumpkin until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

These would go great with a warm apple cider.

For a variations:

If you prefer the taste and texture of gingerbread to fluffy cake-like cookies, use a box of gingerbread mix, plus half of a 15-oz can of pumpkin. It comes out as soft, dense, moist, spicy cookies. Make sure you grease the cookie sheet, though, because the lack of added oil makes them stick.

Another variation: Use a Chocolate cake mix instead of the spice cake mix. Doesn't taste as pumpkin-y.

For Pumpkin Spice muffins: add 1/3 cup water to the 2 ingredients above. Add in 1/4-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice for extra pumpkin-y flavor. For Pumpkin Chocolate muffins use a chocolate cake mix (and leave out the pumpkin pie spice.)
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 03-28-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #104
MazdaUK

I've got a packet of Betty Crocker carrot cake needs using - after I got it everyone announced they don't like carrot cake so I need to disguise it Mwah-ha-haaaaaa.

So anyone have a good recipe for it?

Last edited by MazdaUK; 11-06-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Forgot the question!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #105
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
I've got a packet of Betty Crocker carrot cake needs using - after I got it everyone announced they don't like carrot cake so I need to disguise it Mwah-ha-haaaaaa.

So anyone have a good recipe for it?
Maybe you can add the can of pumpkin puree from the recipe above? It might disguise the taste enough. Also, instead of a cream cheese frosting, use whipped cream & just have them dunk the cookies in it. It may be more like a crunchy pumpkin pie cookie. Add a sprinkling of ginger & cinnamon to the mix. They're pretty strong flavors.
Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: