Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #76
Diabolicdesire
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the recipes. I got some great Ideas. I'm gonna make some different kinds using my left over halloween candy. Seems like an easy way to use it up.

Diabolicdesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #77
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchick
Does anyone have a recipe that would be good for my Brownie troop? Thanks
Do you mean to make with the girls? How about putting out little bowls of a variety of items. (Kind of like the different toppings for sundaes.) Divide up the mix among ther gals. You can have each of them make a few of their own varieties. Just make sure there is more mix than the filler ingredients: walnuts, chips, etc. Then let the girls mix & match t taste each others cookies. They may come up with a few good assortments & a few yukky ones to laugh about.

(If you're allowing nuts, make sure none of the girls have a nut allergy.)

As Diabolicdesire just posted above, the Brownies may have extra leftover halloween candy they could bring in & use up.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #78
Karalynn
Mouseketeer

subbing!!! I can't wait to try some of these! yummmm!!

DS12 DD10 DH ME!!

Dixie Landings 9/94 & 9/97
Villas at Wilderness Lodge 1/06 1st trip with the kids!!!!!
Beach Club 1/11
Karalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #79
Kahana-ri
DIS Veteran
Needs to learn how to drive the ride-on mower!

How cool! What a great recipe. I always wanted to make homemade cookies, but I am not so great with lots of ingredients. I can't wait to try it.
DH Me DS#1: DS#2
1989-Disneyland Family Vacation
2001- WDW Engagement-off site
2005-WDW Family Christmas vacation-POP
2006-WDW Girls Trip-POFQ
2006-Surprise WDW-POP
2013 - Family Thanksgiving in WDW
Kahana-ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #80
Kahana-ri
DIS Veteran

Just made this out of yellow mix. Super easy, quick, and the cookies were way rich. DH loved them! This will work out great this holiday season. The lemon mix sounds good Thanks for sharing.
2006-WDW Girls Trip-POFQ
2006-Surprise WDW-POP
Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #81
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

I found a recipe to make sturdy Gingerbread Houses using cake mixes!

It's snipped from The Cake Mix Doctor website.

"After some tinkering I found that by adding oil, either molasses or sorghum, and ground ginger you have a tight but workable dough that can be rolled and cut into sections of the house. And the ginger in the dough smells wonderful and gets everyone in the holiday mood! It all was well affixed with royal icing. The uncooked royal icing makes this house one meant for visual enjoyment, not for eating."

Makes 1 gingerbread house
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Baking Time: 15 to17 Minutes
Cooling Time: Overnight
Assembly Time: 60 Minutes

Cake

2 packages (18.25 ounces each) plain spice cake mix
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 cup vegetable oil, such as canola, corn, safflower, soybean, or sunflower
1 cup molasses or sorghum syrup
1 to 2 tablespoons water, if needed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Royal Icing:

5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
5 large egg whites

Candy Decorations:

Assorted peppermint sticks, hard candy mix, licorice, gum-drops, and slivered almonds (& of course whatever you want to creatively add on!)

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Set aside 3 ungreased baking sheets.

2. Place the cake mix, ginger, oil, and sorghum or molasses in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture comes together into a ball, 1 minute. Stop the machine and add water as needed to make the dough come together and be firm but still workable. Blend again at low speed to incorporate the water.

3. Sprinkle flour over a clean work surface and roll the dough out to a 1/4-inch thickness. Using a ruler and a sharp knife, cut six rectangles from the dough, each 7 by 4 1/2 inches. With floured fingers or with a metal spatula, place four of the rectangles on two of the baking sheets. Place the baking sheets in the refrigerator.

4. Make the peaked roof. Using a ruler and knife, mark the midpoint of one of the short ends of the two remaining rectangles (about 2 1/4 inches in). From that end, measure and mark 2 1/2 inches along both of the long sides. Place the ruler on the dough going from the midpoint mark to the mark along one long side to form a corner triangle. Cut away the triangle. Repeat this from the midpoint mark to the mark on the other long side. Mark and cut the remaining rectangle of dough the same way. Carefully place the peaked pieces and the four triangles on the third baking sheet. On the flat end of one of the peaked pieces, cut out a piece 2 1/4 inches high and 1 1/2 inches wide. This will be the door. Place this door back on the baking sheet. Remove the baking sheets from the refrigerator and place all three in the oven. If your oven is not large enough, place two pans on the center rack and place the third pan in the center of the highest rack.

5. Bake until the dough is lightly brown and firm, 15 to 17 minutes. Be careful not to overbake the sheet on the highest rack. Remove the pans to wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. The dough may puff up but you just need to press it back down with the back of a metal spatula. Carefully slide a spatula underneath the pieces of the house and place them on racks to cool overnight.

6. The next day, prepare the Royal Icing. Place the confectioners' sugar and egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides of the bowl down again if needed. The icing should look smooth and thick.

7. When you are ready to assemble the gingerbread house, fill a pastry tube with the Royal Icing, if you have one, or just use a dinner knife. Cover a tray with waxed paper or plastic wrap to protect it. Join one peaked piece and the short side of one side piece with royal icing at the inside corner seam. Support the pieces with small water glasses pushed right up next to them. Do the same for the other peaked piece and side piece, then join the four pieces at the two remaining inside corner seams.

8. Let this frame dry for 1 hour. Place the roof rectangle at an angle over the house and affix along the edges with icing. Place the second roof rectangle at an angle over the house. It will overlap the first. Affix it to the edges and along the top of the roof with icing. If you wish, use the triangles and the royal icing to create a chimney sticking out of the roof. Place the triangles so that the short flat sides form the top of the chimney. Affix the chimney to the roof with royal icing. Seal the tops together with icing. Let this dry for 1 hour. During this time you can pipe or spread royal icing around the house and create candy landscaping, with gumdrops for shrubs and candy canes for a walkway, if desired. If the sides seem secure you can go ahead and decorate the sides and ends with candy, spreading them with a little icing before gently pushing them against the gingerbread.

9. When the roof has dried, spread the roof with icing and sprinkle over lots of slivered almonds to look like roofing tiles. Attach the front door using royal icing, if desired, and decorate the door with candies. Let the house dry out well, a day or so, before transporting it.

This gingerbread house keeps at room temperature in a dry room for 2 to 3 weeks
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #82
jedi_librarian
DIS Veteran
I am a cranky person when the Target ad is missing from the newspaper

Here's another recipe using a Brownie mix - it's right from the Hershey Kisses website, but I've made them every year and they're YUMMY!

Tuxedo Brownie HUGS Cookies

Ingredients

60 HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates
1 package (1lb. 6.5 oz.) original supreme brownie mix with syrup pouch
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
Directions

1. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

2. Stir brownie mix, pouch of HERSHEY'S Syrup, cocoa, water, oil and eggs in medium bowl until well blended. Drop by scant teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Press chocolate into center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 5 dozen cookies.
jedi_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #83
Mom2Ashli
DIS Cast Member
People are after my thread killing powers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_librarian
Here's another recipe using a Brownie mix - it's right from the Hershey Kisses website, but I've made them every year and they're YUMMY!

Tuxedo Brownie HUGS Cookies

Ingredients

60 HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates
1 package (1lb. 6.5 oz.) original supreme brownie mix with syrup pouch
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
Directions

1. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

2. Stir brownie mix, pouch of HERSHEY'S Syrup, cocoa, water, oil and eggs in medium bowl until well blended. Drop by scant teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Press chocolate into center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 5 dozen cookies.
OH YUMMY!!!!

I AM LAST
Mom2Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #84
jenr812
I'm wondering how outta hand you all got after I posted
The TF tried to give MY post to someone else
Those men can be so demanding, wanting to talk and make us get off the computer

Bump

TR: The 5 J's Went Back to Disney 5/23-6/4, 2007 *DAY 4: MGM/LTT/MK EMH/Lotsa pics!!*
NICU Nurse & Mom to Jessica(18), Jayden(13) & Jory(9)

July 2-8, 2005 @ POR - Our first family trip & we surprised the kids!
May 23-June 4, 2007 @ POR - Nursing school graduation celebration!
December 14-21, 2008 @ POR - Introduced the in-laws to the Magic!
August 25-Sept 2, 2009 @ POP - Mother/Daughter trip for DD's Sweet 16!

Up next: Jayden's 14th birthday & MNSSHP @ POR October 24-November 4, 2012
Back at The Disboards after a loooong hiatus!
jenr812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #85
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellypooh
I got this recipe out of The Cake Mix Doctor cook book by Anne Byrn and have slightly modified it for my family's tastes.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
Mine had to cool longer than 30 minutes to become solid again. The chocolate was really gooey and chewy. I am usually an absolute chocolate peanut butter lover, but these were way way too sweet and rich for me. My peanut butter topping wasn't really crumbly enough to crumble on the top either, it was more like a cookie dough mixture. I followed the recipe exactly though, so not sure what went wrong. Oh well, on to the next recipe I had high hopes with these for our Christmas Cookie night. I'm sure they'll be a lot of fans of this one though, since it's so simple and it is indeed sweet

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #86
Karalynn
Mouseketeer

I'm going to try and make the lemon cookie recipe with the coolwhip this weekend for a cookie swap I am going to on Sunday. I'll let you all know how they came out!

DS12 DD10 DH ME!!

Dixie Landings 9/94 & 9/97
Villas at Wilderness Lodge 1/06 1st trip with the kids!!!!!
Beach Club 1/11
Karalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #87
Kahana-ri
DIS Veteran

I have made about four variations so far of this recipe. DH loves the cookies and I can't believe HOW EASY this is. Christmas cookies have been a breeze this year.
2006-WDW Girls Trip-POFQ
2006-Surprise WDW-POP
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #88
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Thank you so much for this thread, OP! I was in a bind.

I remembered reading this thread. Looked it up and I had everything on hand. Yea! I used Pillsbury white cake mix (supreme moist mix or something like that). Crushed some candy canes and sprinkled it on top. They look and taste great! Thanks so much!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #89
lisafromkraft
Earning My Ears

Cookies from cake mix?

Hi all you bakers out there. I have an unusual cookie recipe that uses a cake mix AND mayo-style dressing! It really helps keep the cookies moist. And no one will guess the secret ingredient!

This makes your basic chocolate drop-type cookie. They are really nice and chewy with chunks of chocolate and nuts.

Enjoy - LISA

Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Prep: 10 min.
Bake: 12 min.

1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
2 eggs
1 cup Miracle Whip Dressing
1 cup Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks
1/2 cup chopped Planters Walnuts

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Place cake mix, eggs and dressing in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients.

DROP rounded teaspoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto greased baking sheets.

BAKE 10 to 12 min. or until cookies are slightly firm to the touch. Cool completely on wire racks.

Makes about 6-1/2 dozen cookies or 26 servings, 3 cookies each.

Substitute:
Substitute Planters Pecans or Sliced Almonds for the walnuts.

Substitute:
Substitute 5 squares Baker’s Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, coarsely chopped, for the chocolate chunks.
lisafromkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #90
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

I want to THANK EVERYONE for this thread!!!!!

I made a number of these and added a couple of my own Xmas recipes. I took them to 2 parties and my DH took them to work. I got raves everywhere!!!! AND the cake mix cookies made it so easy and quick that I plan to do this every year!!!!

The white cake mix with peppermint (found pretty peppermint chips at the store!) frosted with white frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes, spice with apple, and lemon with white choc chips, and orange with choc chips were the best! I also did choc with capuccino chips, choc with mini peanut butter cups, butter mix with cinn sugar, and choc with mint.

'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: