Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
BYC
DIS Veteran

Best way to get an Animal Kingdom Villa

We are in the early stages of planning, and already I am overwhelmed with how to book a villa. We are a family of 5 adults. We need one queen/king bed for me and hubby, and the three adult children need their own beds. So, at least 4 beds. Is it best to rent a villa directly through Disney, or to rent points from someone? From what I can figure out, if you rent through Disney, you will have housekeeping service, but if you rent points, you will not. Is the price difference huge? And, how can you know you are renting points from an honest person? Thanks!
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
BroadwayGirl
DIS Veteran

Well, if each of your kids needs their own bed, you have to get a 2BR villa and those are not currently available for booking through DRC so if you wanted one you would have to rent points from a DVC member. And even though you could fit 5 in a 1BR, the Jambo house 1BRs only have 1 bathroom so it would be awfully tight with 5 adults. Actually you could get a 3BR grand villa through DRC but that might be a bit of overkill for 5 people and they are almost never available.

"Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good"
BroadwayGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

When are you going? The DVC points differ for every season - for example, the month of May for a savannah view 1 bdrm is 234 points for a week (7 nights), or 198 points for standard view - points are rented at $10-$12 each, no tax. Not sure what the nightly rates are for cash, but they're usually quite a bit more. The weekends always cost double points, for example in May, Sun-Thurs. is 26 points per day Savannah view, and Fri & Sat. is 52 points per day. As DVC members, we always plan our vacations to start on a Sunday, and only include one weekend in our trip (so we stay 12 nights & only use one Friday and Saturday).
For comparison, Old Key West two bedroom Villas for May are 263 points for a week, and each of your children would have their own bed & you'd have two full baths, three tv's, large dining room table, and large patio with table and chairs.
Whatever you finally decide, enjoy the DVC villas!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC View Post
We are in the early stages of planning, and already I am overwhelmed with how to book a villa. We are a family of 5 adults. We need one queen/king bed for me and hubby, and the three adult children need their own beds. So, at least 4 beds. Is it best to rent a villa directly through Disney, or to rent points from someone? From what I can figure out, if you rent through Disney, you will have housekeeping service, but if you rent points, you will not. Is the price difference huge? And, how can you know you are renting points from an honest person? Thanks!
You can certainly save a lot of money on great accommodations in a “Disney Deluxe Villa Resort” (Disney Vacation Club) by renting a reservation direct from a DVC member rather than making the reservation with WDW reservations (aka CRO).

However, please be sure and educate yourself on how a DVC reservation is very different from a regular hotel reservation, and the basics of “renting points”, as it is often referred to.

See: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1669863

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Dawn68PA
DIS Veteran

Definately read as much info as possible on the DVC boards. I am renting points for an upcoming trip in November and believe I have chosen to deal with an honest renter. The things that make me feel that way are: he's a long time member of the DIS and has rented previously several times.

I am in your shoes. I needed a 2BR villa and we wanted AKV.

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

2-bedroom OKW - King bed, queen sleeper sofa, 2 queens in the other bedroom

1-bedroom OKW - king bed, queen sleeper sofa

2-bedroom AKV - king bed, queen sleeper sofa, chair bed, 1 queen bed and double sleeper sofa (until Kidani is build)

1-bedroom AKV - king bed, queen sleeper sofa, chair bed

go to the rent/trade board and read all the tips at the top. then do your homework.

you definitely want a contract - then it list your responsiblies and what the member promises to do.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

It's a tradeoff, there are pros and cons to renting:

Pros:

1. You will almost certainly save a lot of money. Aside from the savings on the room, you avoid paying the resort tax that you'd pay on a CRO booking.

Cons:

1. Limited housekeeping.

2. No control over your reservation - the member owns the reservation till you check in, and you will not be able to make any changes to it, or even confirm it by phone until a few days before check-in.

3. Disney will NOT become involved in any disputes between you and the member. it's a private transaction.

4. Some members have a no-refunds policy. If you have to cancel, they may lose their points, and you may not be able to get your money back.

5. Limited flexibility - DVC members book far in advance. If you need to change your dates, there may be no availability for your new dates.

Last edited by Lynne M; 01-24-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: