Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

Anyone ever do Wild Africa Trek solo??

Hi Everyone! I am taking a solo trip in May and am wondering if anyone has ever done the Wild Africa Trek Tour solo? I normally don't mind doing things on my own, but was just wondering if anyone had experience with it and if they felt strange with all the couples and families? I think I'd really enjoy it even by myself. Would love all input, thanks =)

Robin
RobinEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
disney queen
DIS Veteran

Yes! i have done it solo. did not feel strange being the only single there. However, there was a couple there my age and we sorta stuck together; that was helpful. Plus, we were from the same area in Texas. The guides take tons of photos and you will receive a CD of that. Go and enjoy. It is fabulous!! BTW, the arrival time at AK is fairly early. if you do not have a car, i would suggest a taxi. i was fortunate in that one of the CM at OKW drove me to AK. You will be so glad you did this!!
disney queen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

Thank you for this! I'm gonna go for it! I'm staying at AKL and I have a car so timing is the one thing I'm not worried about! Hoping for nice people on my tour like you had
Old 04-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Yep ... definitely go for it if you can do it. I've done many of the tours at WDW, but the Africa Trek was my favorite so far. Although I did the tour with my Dad as a Father's Day gift, there was a solo in our group who fit in fine. The way the smaller tour group is structured with clipping onto the safety lines, sitting in the safari truck, and eating lunch or breakfast, you get a chance to get to know most of the group. We chatted with several other folks during the tour, and enjoyed lunch with another group at our table. The tour guides are amazing too! Remember that they take a bunch of pics while on the tour so you don't have to worry about asking for or bother with taking photos unless you want to.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

Oh good to know!! I was stressing about photos and having to ask people, I'm doing it! I called Disney and there's even a deal right now for the afternoon tours, how can I resist now!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
disney queen
DIS Veteran

keep in mind May could be hot, usually not too bad. but one year we went and it was hot. and i'm in houston!
disney queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

I'm worried about the heat, but mainly because I want the animals to be active! Non-disney but on the opposite end of the spectrum I am also considering a Wild Artic tour at Sea World and I hear it is freezing in with the polar bears and beluga whales =)
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Nanaji
Disney Veteran

Hi there

My sister gave me the Trek as a gift and I did it solo. It was a wonderful experience. I met the best folks and kids and the CMs were great. I have to say it was one of my most memorable Disney experiences.

I am going solo again in October and really considering booking another adventure tour. Go for it! You won't regret it.

Nanaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Carlnne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinEJ View Post
Oh good to know!! I was stressing about photos and having to ask people, I'm doing it! I called Disney and there's even a deal right now for the afternoon tours, how can I resist now!!!
What are the details for the deal? I was thinking of doing it myself too.
Carlnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

If you do one of the afternoon tours starting after 11:30am it is $150 per person. I'm not sure how long the deal is for but it was valid for my date of Sunday 5/4!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

I took the plunge and booked the tour! Thank you everyone for the encouragement, I can't wait!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinEJ View Post
If you do one of the afternoon tours starting after 11:30am it is $150 per person. I'm not sure how long the deal is for but it was valid for my date of Sunday 5/4!
It's a great deal ... that's how we did the Trek last year. They had the offer for the afternoon tours for the summer up til late October. I think we were able to catch one of the last days they offered it.

Even with it being much warmer during the afternoon, many of the animals were still very active. Especially the giraffes who came right up to our private vehicle. The hippos weren't so cooperative. You also get a nice aluminum water bottle as a souvenir that comes in handy for the heat, and they hand out some nice re-freezable cloths to cool down with that the CMs keep in ice chest on the safari vehicle.

After the Trek, you'll get a password to go to the Africa Trek website and download a ton pics from your tour. They get some great shots. Here's me surviving the rope bridges and using the binoculars at the lunch stop:

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart

Last edited by Brocktoon; 04-11-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

Awesome photos! I am so excited now!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
LaLalovesWDW
DIS Veteran

You are in for such a treat!! It is an AMAZING tour and I am so glad I did it the first time by myself. There were actually 2 other people that were there solo and the three of us were like the Three Caballeros! LOL. It was a blast. I didn't know about this deal, but I just may be adding that to my itinerary if I can get that deal in during my time there.

Fun day trips - 1978 and 1986 * Offsite - 1990 * Offsite - 2002 * CBR - Christmas Week 2004 * CBR - December 2010* AKV - May 2011* WDW Dolphin Dec 2011* *CBR~Aug 2012* *CBR~Aug 2013*SSR ~ Dec 2013* *SSR ~ April/May 2014*

Just Me ,DD , and DK
LaLalovesWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
RobinEJ
Mouseketeer

I love your photos!!! Thank you for the reassurance too! May can't get here soon enough

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: