Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
NCgirl71
Earning My Ears

Solo at WDW vs Universal?

OkayI know this is the Disney Forum ;-) However, I'm torn between a solo trip to Disney vs Universal. I plan to spend 5 days 4 nights and this would be my first big solo trip. I have been to Disney before but it was over 20 yrs ago. Went to Universal one time when there was just the Studios. I'm not a roller coaster fan but do like Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain. Since I plan to fly I like idea of the free Disney Shuttle being able to transport me to the Resort.

I have literally reserved rooms at each 2-3 times and cancelled;-( currently got a place reserved at Universal Cabana Bay for end of October. But now wondering if I should just do Disney ... Anybody else been in this boat? Not sure which to do but would like to visit both and apprehensive bc you are traveling alone?
NCgirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
richmo
DIS Veteran

I would probably go with Disney.

I do one solo trip a year, and its about the same length you're considering (usually 4 or 5 nights). As you may know, economically the ticket structure at both Disney and Universal encourages longer stays. If you were to split your stay, your ticket price would likely almost double, as opposed to visiting just the one resort for the full period.

If you were going for only 2 or 3 days, I'd say go with either resort, but Disney seems to have much more to do for the longer period. Since you're looking at 5 days, I'd do Disney.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
NCgirl71
Earning My Ears

Yes. Overall I would pay more in tickets if I did both. I had thought if I did Universal I might could throw in a day at Sea world. If I do Disney it would probably be all Disney. Guess I just need to commit to one and book the airfare...
Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl71 View Post
Yes. Overall I would pay more in tickets if I did both. I had thought if I did Universal I might could throw in a day at Sea world. If I do Disney it would probably be all Disney. Guess I just need to commit to one and book the airfare...
That's not a bad idea throwing Sea World in. I think that would still be more expensive than just Disney (or just Universal). There used to be some kind of Orlando Flex ticket that would combine Universal and Sea World...I have no idea if that still exists. (Another thought: if you're into that kind of thing, Discovery Cove would be a great experience and you get Sea World admission along with it...for a different day)
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Nick C
Earning My Ears

If you take the roller coasters out and aren't a die-hard Harry Potter fan, then it'll be easy to run out of stuff to do at US/IOA over 4-5 days. OTOH, there's definitely more to see and do at Disney and it'll take you that long just to sort of see it all. If you're just doing the parks by themselves, then I'd have to recommend Disney as well (and this is coming from someone that loves Universal).

If you throw Sea World into the mix, then I'd say it's a toss up. You'll have a great time with either option, so you really can't go wrong either way.

Hope you have a good trip!
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
SueDonym3
Mouseketeer

I am a Disney fan-went over to Universal to check out Harry Potter after it opened. I was not a fan of Universal because it seemed to consist of big scary coasters-which are not my thing...but now that they have expanded HP world-have considered another trip...in researching, a lot of folks like to do both-start with Disney-end at Universal, which is my plan for next year. They are different experiences. Check out the Universal boards-there is usually a thread going about why there are better than Disney. You can review and decide if it would appeal. One advantage would be only two parks, so it could be cheaper and a shorter trip if you want to try it out...
SueDonym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
bstarprincess37
Mouseketeer

Having done both Disney and Universal solo. I would honestly suggest Disney if this is your first big trip solo. Perhaps next time you can try universal. I was much more comfortable at Disney solo - I felt I could get lost in the magic more and blend in. I also felt more safe and with the internal disney transport, didn't have to drive myself around.

Me DH

*May 2012 - Coronado Springs* *July 2012 - Pop Century* *December 2012 - All Star Sports* *March 2013 - Pop Century* *July 2013 - AKV, OKW, and BLT* *September 2013 - OKW and SSR* *December 2013 - Pop Century, Old Key West and WLV* *March 2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo and Kidani*
bstarprincess37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
NCgirl71
Earning My Ears

Thanks everybody for all your opinions. I am leaning a little more toward WDW now.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
tony67
I always get odd looks when I put mayo on my fries
Ask for Pepe - "The Master"

I do solo trips every year.
I think there is much more to do at Disney - but prefer Universal overall.
You wont have an issue filling you 5 days at Disney.

But if your a HP fan (I'm not - but that part of the park is well worth seeing) you may want to consider 1 day(s) at Universal - Dreams Unlimited has a 1 day 2 park ticket with transportation for about 150. (The one day ticket on its own is like 136)

I'd recommend getting the first bus over (around 8AM).
The bus (or shuttle) picks you up at your Disney resort and return you between 3PM and and 1AM ish - you just call them an hour before you want to leave.

It's very convenient and a great option.
As a solo traveler you can do all of universal in one day as long as you go during the week.
Your going at a slower that time of year and there are a lot of single rider lines.

If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always depend on the support of Paul.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.”

Be seeing you.
tony67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: