Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose a carpool
The Magic is as strong as ever 174 36.71%
The Magic has faded, but I am very optimistic 194 40.93%
The Magic is in serious jeaopardy 99 20.89%
The Magic is lost, I'm not going back 7 1.48%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #61
JeffH
Mouseketeer

Walt's WDW...

Quote:
Replace Eisner with someone who can take Walt's vision FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Walt had his way there would be no Magic Kingdom (he was talked into that by the bankers), no Epcot (as we know it), no MGM/Disney Studios, no Animal Kingdom...it wouldn't even be called WDW. Walt's 'vision' was that the area would be an Experimental Community of Tommorrow, no theme parks.
If anything, the Disney organization (Eisner) has moved more towards Walt's vision, lately, with the addition of all the rooms to WDW.
WDW has never been better.
Just because they are not opening a new theme park or adding a new e-ride attraction at each park THIS year doesn't take away from what it is and still has to offer. The ONLY difference is the cutbacks in hours and shows as a result of the reduced attendance. We are coming off a boom time (Millenium Celebration), where Disney increased hours and shows and added a new theme park and many new attractions and live shows...and the highest attendance ever!
'05)80 days@WDW+DoI;many stays at Pop Century
'04)48 days@WDW stays at ASMo;ASSp;PC
'03)68 days@WDW+DoI:MI+MJ+Pr
'02)65 days@WDW+DoI:Pr
'01)53 days@WDW+DonIce:TS2
'00)36 days@WDW
'99)46 days@WDW
'73-'99)AS:Mu, DIx2, Poly x2, GF, C

Last edited by JeffH; 02-18-2002 at 05:54 PM.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 08:07 PM   #62
pgesler
Mouseketeer

Disney has lost it's magic

At least for me and my family - Disney has lost its magic.

My wife was hurt on a ride at WDW which required over $3,000 in Doctor and Hospital bills in the week following the injury. While we were at WDW and while my wife was confined to her bed in our room - all that WDW would say is that we could not prove thatit was the fault of WDW and we were on our own.

Later a Orlando area Law firm told us that WDW was know in the Legal community as Floridas biggest SOB and that it isn't worth the hastle to prove their liability.

When it comes to Operational Excellence - Disney needs to read its own book!
1999 Port Orleans
June 2001 Magic 7 day Eastern
June 2001 CBR Disney
June 2003 Magic 7 day Western
pgesler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2002, 04:43 PM   #63
mmouse52

Welcomed Guest

I just hopped into car number 3.. First trip was June 1972 (20th birthday). Been down twice a year since. Lost the magic after becoming a cm at tds. When you start to see everything as a money making scheme magic gets lost. It all started with a mouse but someone got rid of the mouse for a bear...Had a trip planned for July and just cancelled it for a new location... Need to break away for a while.
mmouse52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:38 AM   #64
dznefan
Earning My Ears

Unhappy hopeful but scared

All things change over time but the changes in Disney are coming faster and faster and not for the better. Though the economy has had the most immediate effect on things, changes were occuring before this. It seems all the little extra goodies(choc. candies after your meal)had already started to disappear. Park maintenance was going down. Last trip 12/01 some of the restrooms were filthy. Attractions are becoming worn looking and in dire need of upgrading. Landscaping and maintenance have slipped also. Some of the problems seem to stem from the company vending out services rather than keeping it in the Disney family. There is still a thrill when we walk under the station at MK but as one member posted there is something ominous lurking over things also.

Also hate to see things such as the carnival area added to Dinoland. Avoiding this kind of park was one of the reasons Walt Disney wanted to build Disneyland. And what was that mess they made of Imagination?

Disney stores no longer have the quality they had when opened. Disney closed the DisneyQuest in Chicago even though there always seemed to be lines.

There are still instances of Pixie Dust, usually brought about by one of the cast members, who still have the old Disney spirit.

Did we really need a hockey team, a baseball team, a sports complex(remember that little law suit) or a less than stellar t.v. network.

One hopes management can turn things around and not turn the company into a takeover target as it was once before. What a sad world it would be without our happy mouse.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:26 PM   #65
dznefan
Earning My Ears

Unhappy hopeful but scared

All things change over time but the changes in Disney are coming faster and faster and not for the better. Though the economy has had the most immediate effect on things, changes were occuring before this. It seems all the little extra goodies(choc. candies after your meal)had already started to disappear. Park maintenance was going down. Last trip 12/01 some of the restrooms were filthy. Attractions are becoming worn looking and in dire need of upgrading. Landscaping and maintenance have slipped also. Some of the problems seem to stem from the company vending out services rather than keeping it in the Disney family. There is still a thrill when we walk under the station at MK but as one member posted there is something ominous lurking over things also.

Also hate to see things such as the carnival area added to Dinoland. Avoiding this kind of park was one of the reasons Walt Disney wanted to build Disneyland. And what was that mess they made of Imagination?

Disney stores no longer have the quality they had when opened. Disney closed the DisneyQuest in Chicago even though there always seemed to be lines.

There are still instances of Pixie Dust, usually brought about by one of the cast members, who still have the old Disney spirit.

Did we really need a hockey team, a baseball team, a sports complex(remember that little law suit) or a less than stellar t.v. network.

One hopes management can turn things around and not turn the company into a takeover target as it was once before. What a sad world it would be without our happy mouse.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:50 PM   #66
BRERALEX
That's a wrap.

a little late for this and i havent posted in awhile but just need to say

I FEEL THE MAGIC IS FADING AND NO HOPE OF IT COMMING BACK

i used to be optomistic but i dont think thats even logical any longer
BRERALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 07:04 PM   #67
ksdave
DIS Veteran

Hey, BRERALEX, you should come back the the Parks Game thread. Everybody keeps asking what happened to you.
Old 05-17-2002, 02:03 PM   #68
BRERALEX
That's a wrap.

hey that made my week ksdave my week has been really bad those kind words make me feel alot better (wisdom tooth missed two days of school and i need a new alternator for my truck!!!!!!!)

ill try to add over there but you guys have some really really tough questions but that thread does help with remembering the magic alot! thanx
BRERALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #69
mattjs
Mouseketeer

Car 1

A bold announcement on AK would solidify that. A weak one would get me thinking about car 2 without the "very optomistic".
Old 06-19-2002, 12:14 PM   #70
Laurabearz
I cant load my bobbin!
three kids keep me hopping
I was Grunge before Grunge was Grunge

Hot for Danny DeVito!

Location: 4.53 miles from PatrickIL' s house (would rather live by Universal to see if the Mummy ride will be open before May 21st!)

I am jumping in at the tail end of this but wanted to vote... I voted the Magic is as strong as ever....

WHY? Well most of the recent cutbacks havent effected us... The biggies........ shorter park hours, EE,and E-nights dont play a role in our current WDW experince....... Our kids are too little to get up that early or stay up that late.... .... we are at the parks at opening and leave by noon..... Back to our wonderful DVC resorts to relax.... maybe hitting Epcot for an early dinner.... I will even go so far as saying (right now) we prefer the Charcater Caravan to EE!!
The fact that Disney has not lower prices to reflect the shorter hours, doesnt bother us. We wouldnt take advantage of them anyway.... so that point, for us, is moot.... Does that make sense?

Could the place use some paint here and there... YEs... BUT the only place it bothered me was under the bridge from YC/BC to MGM. Again no biggy.... they got a lot to paint... they will get around to it.

I guess we have lucked out....We dont require a lot from WDW these days to be totally feel the Magic. And I know in a few years, as the ecomony grows, Disney will be back better than ever!

When my family and I are at WDW there is still no other feeling that matches it...... My three year old knows nothing of paint chippping, or the ramafications of Dinoland.... she sees WDW through the eyes of a child.... and it is perfect!

The only thing that hurts is not having CoP open all the time..... I love that ride!

Oh and I would vote for Monorail expansion!!! But we dont mind the busses.... the kids think it is the first and last RIDE of the day!!! :D
1/02 OKW 4/02 Offsite 5/02 BC/Poly 8/02 The Plaza NYC 9/02 BWV/RPR 10/02 HHI GV 12/02 OKW 9/03 VWL 11/03 BWV2/04 OKW/VB5/04 BWV/HRH6/04 HHI 10/04 BCV1/05 OKW 6/05 HHI 9/05 CR/Wonder 12/05 HRH/BWV 5/06 DLR 6/06 BWV 7/06 HHI 10/06 BWV/HRH 11/06OKW/RPR4/07 SSR 7/07 HHI 10/07 OKW/Magic/VWL 12/07 OKW 6/08 DLH 8/08 OKW/HRH10/08 BWV/RPR11/08 OKW/POP2/09 YC/RPR3/09 SSR 6/09 HHI 8/09 RPR/AKVJ/BWV/ASMo10/09 RPR2/10 FWCabins 4/10 BWV08/10 RPR/OKW10/10 BWV1/11 SSR 1/11BCV6/11 RPR/BCV11/11 BCV/AKJSAV 1/12 AKJSAV
On the Horizon HHI 6/12

Universal Orlando is Disney's Best Kept Secret!
Laurabearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 10:24 PM   #71
bavaria
Makes the best of both worlds
And to think that I was just starting to like you!
No, I'm not in trouble, I'm naturally signatureless!
Ein Prosit!

OK I'm climbing out of car 4 into car 3! I went to the Disney store today to check out pass prices - I've gone six months now without a DL or WDW visit, and both AP's expired for the first time since 1993 back in January......

But I will admit that I am going through withdrawal, even with all of the cutbacks. Even the CM at the Disneystore today raved about Universal and how they do things right!
bavaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 12:51 PM   #72
eeyore0062
Downtown Disney Diva and Ultimate Disney Dreamer

Sign me up for carpool number 1... I guess I am diehard Disney all the way!
Dixie Landings 1993,1998, 2003; Wilderness Lodge 2000; The Contemporary 2002, Caribbean Beach Resort 2002, Port Orleans French Quarter 2002, All Star Music, 2003, The Polynesian 2004, PoP Century, June 2005.... upcoming- Coronado Springs, Oct 2005.......... longing to stay at the Beach Club at some point in the future

Have a Disney Day!!!!
eeyore0062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:37 PM   #73
taysalyn
DIS Veteran
not waiting for the tag fairies anymore! :)

I'm in car # 1 but leaning out with hands on car # 2. I love Disney. I love the way I feel when I think about walking down main street at WDW. I love the way I feel when watching a disney movie. I love receiving the Disney catalog. I ADORE my disney pin collection and I love the idea of sitting on my balcony at either the Contemporary resort or onboard the Magic.

I don't know much about the business end of Disney. To be honest, I don't know Eisner and what he has done or has in store for Disney. I believe in my heart that WDW will continue to do what it has done for many years and that is to light up a child's face once he/she has seen Mickey Mouse. And to light up an adult's face once he/she has walked down main street at either park. There is just something about the parks that maintain the magic. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe that is the way it is meant to be. You don't always know how a magician does what he does, you just like what he does. I like what Disney does and will continue to go year after year. (as long as my DH lets me)

1989 - Off site / 1991 - Off site / 2000 - Contemporary / 2001 - Off site / 2002 - All Stars Sports GPA2 / 2004 to 2006 - WDW Cast Member / 2007 - Wilderness Lodge & Off site MNSSHP / 2008 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach / 2009 - Coronado Springs / 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge MVMCP / 2011 - Boardwalk Inn & DCL Dream #8508 / 2012 - DCL Fantasy #7676 / 2013 - Beach Club / 2014 - Grand Californian / 2015 - Yacht Club & DCL Wonder #TBA
taysalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #74
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Zombie thread alert

This is great stuff from over 10 years ago. After visiting as a kid in 70s & 80s, I missed the entire decade of the 90's and have been visiting Disney regularly since 2004. This thread provides some insight from my missing time period.

I don't know EE was before Expedition Everest.

Just for the record in 2012, I choose car #2.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #75
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

I chose car number 2 although I know the situation is more likely car number 3 and I'm in denial. Maintenance has been ignored far too long, customer service standards are slipping, and although I realize its more cost effective to have identical products at all of the gift shops I wish they had kept at least a few unique product lines in each gift shop. When I went over my honeymoon, the villian store at DHS didn't even really have villian merch in it! I'd be embarrassed to offer the overall product that WDW does.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: