Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose a carpool
The Magic is as strong as ever 174 36.71%
The Magic has faded, but I am very optimistic 194 40.93%
The Magic is in serious jeaopardy 99 20.89%
The Magic is lost, I'm not going back 7 1.48%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2001, 03:13 PM   #31
gary
Mouseketeer

We need a car 2.5

I'm with you, Dan, except I'm in car #2. But then again, I'm currently wearing a shirt that says "Happiness is a state of mind. It's just according to the way you look at things." (DVC should recognize that quote).

Gary
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 08:59 PM   #32
JeffH
Mouseketeer

Smile I'd be in car #1 (of course)

I'd be in car #1 (of course) with my buddy, gcurling.
Although I've seen many magical things come and go at WDW since it opened, the quantity (and diversity) of magic has never been greater for a father and his little Princess (Tasha). 4 very different parks, Downtown Disney and the marvelous resorts all make for a world we can never see enough of even if we spend 15% of the year there. Every trip is a fun and special as the last. We always look forward to the next trip. I go out of my way to find an excuse to go, including:
Birthdays (anybody in the family, even if they don't go with us)
Celebrations (Aniversaries, Millenium, 100 years of WD...)
the Epcot Festivals
Halloween
Christmas (!!!!!!!)
Easter
Intercot meets (3)
End of school, beginning of school
anytime I have the money
and just for the hell of it

And as far as the 'rumor' of Adventureland opening an hour later...
I've also seen hours come and go since WDW opened.
MK used to be open (in season) until 1am, but with hours like that when do we sleep?
No one needs to go to Adventureland first thing in the am, since it never really gets crowded, you should be in Tommorrowland or Fantasyland 1st thing in the am.
Epcot used to close at 10pm, now generally closes at 9pm (sometimes 9:30pm), but brought added fireworks to the mix every night. (they experimented with a 10am opening, but that was a disaster)
WS opens at 11am, because nobody gets out there until later.
MGM used to close before dark, but recently (with the addition of Fantasmic), expanded greatly to as late as 11pm.
AK used to be open, NOT, now is open adding 9 WDW hours into the World.
Asia opens later because nobody gets out there until later.

It all evens out and most of the cutbacks make good sense (as opposed to closing them down all together as a result of lack of attendance).
MK now has more 'even' hours and isn't open too late.
Epcot continues to have solid hours (9-9).
MGM is open late and later now
AK is open about as long as it needs to, considering it's compliment of attractions (you can do pretty much everything in an AK day)

Good suggestions for WDW to consider (that I've heard on the boards or thought of myself)...
BK at AK, ASAP!!! A boma type buffet between Africa and Asia for lunch in an AK Lodge type building nestled into the forest, this would be the entrance into a new animal land in the future like Camp MM is now.
Halloween Horror nights at MGM (so I don't have to recommend Universal to people w/o kids)
Extend Epcot's monorail onto International Gateway, MGM, Blizzard Beach and AK, resort busses would then only have routes to/from the nearest station and Downtown Disney.
Add-on to 1st floor of Imagination Pavilion (hidden in the back where the new Imagination Institute Tour ride would travel through to makeup for the space lost when we lost the 2nd floor, the playarea moved to the 1st floor and the line was added to.
New multi-culture pavilions in Epcot, to help new countries afford sponsorship by sharing the cost.
New E attraction in Adventureland to balance out the park, and Atlantis or Little Mermaid in the lagoon.
More playareas for the kids with a permanent one ('Small-World' pavilion) in the World Showcase
More character diversity, yes I know that the main ones are in demand, but simply mix a 'wild-card' in there with them, like add Rabbit/Owl/Roo (alternating) to the Pooh Gang mix at the Buffet and MGM meet and greet. Like, throw in another duck to the Donald/Mickey/Goofy/Pluto mix at AKbuffet. Just make every meet and greet and buffet a bit of a surprise, instead of the same characters every time.
Make the bridge to Liberty Square wider (2x) to allow enough room for additional guests to view the parade(s) (more curb) and allow for guests to pass as well, during the parade.
'05)80 days@WDW+DoI;many stays at Pop Century
'04)48 days@WDW stays at ASMo;ASSp;PC
'03)68 days@WDW+DoI:MI+MJ+Pr
'02)65 days@WDW+DoI:Pr
'01)53 days@WDW+DonIce:TS2
'00)36 days@WDW
'99)46 days@WDW
'73-'99)AS:Mu, DIx2, Poly x2, GF, C

Last edited by JeffH; 09-01-2001 at 01:50 PM.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2001, 11:52 PM   #33
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Wink Not so fast JeffH

Quote:
I'd be in car #1 (of course) with my buddy, gcurling.
Sorry Jeff. You’ve either got to change partners or change cars. This is from a recent Gcurling post (regarding Adventureland’s hours):
Quote:
Well doesn't this just stink. I really hate to see this happen, I did not expect anything quite like this. Now I'm really fearful that we'll see more of this type of thing. What scares me the most is that even if economic conditions find their stride again, these changes may become permanent. I'm not making any more excuses for WDW now, it's official - I'm in Car #2 (which I defined as "The Magic has faded a bit, but I am optimistic that it will make a full return.) I continue to hold optimism, but things like these have me worried. Landbaron knows how I feel. Sorry Captain, Duck, Scoop... hope I'm back soon.
You could always try #2. Or stick with the Scoop, Duck and The Captain/Pirate (or any one else he chooses to be )!! But the good Gcurling is heading towards my car!!!

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 12:33 PM   #34
JeffH
Mouseketeer

Talking Good, I get to drive, then...

Good, I get to drive, then...
I'm in the purple (Magenta) car
with Minnie on the Antenna,
Fantasmic on the front bumper,
Bambi on the dashboard showing the way,
and Pooh in the back window looking out for Hefalumps.
We'll be there to celebrate Tasha's birthday (8) in 2 weeks and again in 4 weeks (before and after celebrations)
Our 2nd trip will sneak preview the upcoming WD celebration and we will pick up our special pins and lanyards.
'00)36 days@WDW
'99)46 days@WDW
Old 09-01-2001, 02:25 PM   #35
HorizonsFan
Are we there yet?
My Mickey was mousenapped!

Shove over gcurling, I'm riding in car #2 now. I am confused about the direction in which Disney is headed. Cutting costs is one thing but cutting costs and at the same time risking billions on cable distribution is confusing at best...
Sigh...
Old 09-08-2001, 11:29 AM   #36
JeffH
Mouseketeer

Car #1

Quote:
Well doesn't this just stink. I really hate to see this happen (Adventureland opening late), I did not expect anything quite like this. Now I'm really fearful that we'll see more of this type of thing.
Well, considering that this rumour has NOT panned out and Disney has said otherwise, and this unrealized rumor was the basis of Gcurling jump to car #2, I imagine he will return to car #1, now.
But I'm still driving, and Tasha is sitting shotgun!!!
'00)36 days@WDW
'99)46 days@WDW

Last edited by JeffH; 09-09-2001 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:16 PM   #37
hoopdedoo
Earning My Ears

First of all, I'm in car number 2. At an individual level, I am frustrated with a lot of what I see. I am frustrated that rides now close with nothing re-opened in its place. I am frustrated that quality rides - Timekeeper, CoP, etc. - seem to be disappearing. I am frustrated with the quality of what is being put in now - from the abomination of the JII re-do to Alladin's Magic Carpets.

All that said, as the father of a 10 year old and twins who are 7, Disney still is magic. If my kids had their way, we would never go anywhere but DisneyWorld. In the end, that is all that matters - as a father, my frustrations mean little in the face of their joy. They still see the place as magical, as do so many their age. Their eyes light up as we walk through the tunnel under the railroad and emerge on Main Street. Maybe their attitude will change over time, but for now, the magic is there for them, and that is really all I can ask for.
Contemporary 1981
Club Villas 1985, 87, 89 (2)
OKW 1993, 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 2000
hoopdedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 03:49 PM   #38
Bryn
Earning My Ears

The Magic is as strong as ever!!!

For me the magic is as strong as ever.......but different.

First WDW trip I was 12.......I enjoyed it the way a child enjoys it.

Flash forward 15 years as I marry a Disney fan who lets me make ALL the wedding decisions as long as we go to WDW on our honeymoon. Now, I enjoy WDW as an adult-with-the-heart-of-a-child.
Jan 2002, we are going with the 2 kids. I'll be enjoying WDW as a parent (and still as an adult-with-the heart-of-a-child).

My perception of WDW (and Disney as a whole company) keeps changing as my life evolves.

I can't wait to take the grandkids!!

1996 - honeymoon Dixie Landings
1998 - Dolphin
2000 - 4 day Wonder cruise
2002 - Vistana Resort (1st trip w/kids)
2003 - Orange Lake

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'January 21, 2005 7:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to our Christmas present trip</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'We\\\'re off!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
2005 - Vistana Village
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 04:06 PM   #39
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Unhappy Here's to hoping you're right!!

Bryn :
Quote:
I can't wait to take the grandkids!!
That is my wish as well. I want to stroll through WDW with my grandkids. And have them enjoy all the magic I have enjoyed throughout my life there. Not exactly the same rides or décor (all things change after all), but the essence of, for lack of a better word, magic. Those high 'Disney Standards' we spend so much time talking about here.

Sadly, I don't share your optimism. Instead I think we'll stroll down the lanes in Disney and I will hear myself trying to convey the way it used to be, "back in the day". Not what ride went where, but how the Disney Company used to go that extra step to insure that the guest had the most 'magical' experience ever. How they always exceeded expectations. How they paid attention to the most miniscule details, not in some synergistic effort, but because they cared about quality.

And those grandkids of mine will patiently listen, while secretly counting the seconds until I finally shut up and drive them to Universal!!

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 03:02 PM   #40
King Triton
DIS Veteran

Cool

I voted car pool #2. I do believe Disney lost some of it's magic when they took out Horizons, World Of Motion, and the old Figment ride (what were they thinking?). Please bring back those wonderful rides!! I know Walt would have kept those rides. Epcot hasn't been the same since. One of my favorite memories was taking my family to the Jolly Holidays Christmas Dinner show every year. It's now gone. That was going to be our family tradition every year. Oh well... The parades and Fantasmic keeps me coming back.

I love Disney. I just want to see more of the magic to come back.

King Triton
King Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 03:37 PM   #41
JeffH
Mouseketeer

Jolly Holidays Christmas Dinner

I was hoping that they'd resurrect the "Jolly Holidays Christmas Dinner" in the Millenium Village building after it closed. It was a very popular (sold-out) event.
'00)36 days@WDW
'99)46 days@WDW
Old 10-02-2001, 05:43 PM   #42
ContempoSMT
WDW Sept 2010

The Magic is as strong as ever.

How can we say it is fading. I feel the same way every time i go back and i get excited for my next trip as soons as i come back from disney world. The magic is 100% their to me.
Old 10-20-2001, 01:39 AM   #43
TXDeb
FAITH and FREEDOM

I had to vote car #3. I wanted to be able to choose car #2, but with all the recently announced cut-backs, reduced hours, closed attractions and restaurants, I was forced to admit I am now most definitely in car #3, no matter what I wish for.

I have to admit I am still living on the magic of past trips. Each time we go, I manage to find that magic deep inside even when things are not so magical in reality. I really do still hold out a little hope for the return of the magic, but it may be too late for my teens - future parents who will be deciding where to spend their vacation dollars before too long. All three used to be huge WDW fans, but over the past couple of trips, I have seen their enthusiasm fading. They would much rather go to Universal and IOA, now. Yes, they are at the age where they really enjoy thrill rides, but that is not the reason they now prefer the other parks.

Even with our last trip they still preferred staying at a Disney resort, and spending most of the time at the WDW parks. They said that Universal and IOA just didn't have the same 'feel' to it as WDW, and they preferred staying at WDW, even though they did enjoy the Universal parks. For the trip that we have been planning for December, things are different. They tell me that WDW just isn't the same any more. There are so many closed attractions, it is often dirty, some of the CMs just seem to lack that Disney magic, and it looks like the parks will be closing so early almost every night. They aren't quite old enough to go to PI on their own, and don't like the idea of going clubbing with their parents either. There are only so many things they can do, and movies that they can see at DTD, so they are worried about what they can do in the evenings, if the parks are all closed early.

For past trips, they have always had great fun in helping to choose our WDW resort, but this time they could care less. We have only stayed off-site one time, and we all admitted that was our least favorite trip. However, this year they were asking if we could rent a condo or a house offsite for the December trip. They would rather not stay at a WDW resort. When I asked them why they would rather stay off-site, they couldn't really tell me. Just said that they really didn't care that much where we stayed. Actually, I think they could care less if we even go, although they are not totally happy about canceling either. Something is missing this time.

Now these are the same kids who have always loved WDW. My daughter was such a Disney fan that she couldn't wait until she was in college so she could work at WDW through the college program. She spent all last year researching it, but after our last trip, she has never even mentioned it again. It's not that they think Disney is too 'babyish' for them now, they just don't feel the 'magic' anymore.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:43 PM   #44
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

TXDEB. I hope your following the USF boards as well, from what I've heard their cutbacks are as bad or worse then Disney.

I Have not, nor will I choose a car. As usual, I'm sitting astride a Harley darting in between all the other cars.

Right now I'm very concerned about the Parks.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 05:06 PM   #45
TXDeb
FAITH and FREEDOM

Hey YoHo,
I have been wondering about Universal/IOA. I'll have to pop over there and see for myself how they are handling things.

Actually, a Harley sounds like the way to go. More fun than the cars, and easier to switch positons as more info becomes available!

I am a little more upbeat about things today. I do understand some of the cut-backs, but I question the wisdom of others, especially when considering the short-term benefits vs the long-term harm to customer trust and good will. I also disagree with Disney's lack of consistent and reliable info about the current changes. It's not fair to those already on site (or leaving this week), and it's certainly not good customer service.

Guess, I'm really still torn between car #2 and #3, but hoping that I may be able to move back to car #1 someday!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: