Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

First trip as a couple without kids

Okay, so DH and I have been to Disney many, many times before. As a former Florida resident, we used to go to Disney pretty much every chance we got. We moved to Alabama 7 years ago and have been once since then.

Well, DH and I decided to plan a family trip for 2015. However, our son told us that he doesn't really want to go. He would be 18 when we go. So, DH and I decided to push off the trip until January/February of 2016. This would be our 20th anniversary. So, it would be a special time for us.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around doing a trip without kids. It's hard to think about because we've always done Disney as a family. The three amigos.

So, as I plan/save for the trip,I'm trying to be upbeat about things. I am looking forward to a trip with just DH and me. I really am, but this is new territory for both of us.

So, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mostly suggestions on how to go about planning this trip and not feeling guilty/sad about going without DS.... LOL!!

CatNipRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

Go with the mindset that you shouldn't feel guilty at all. My wife and I take at least one weekend trip a year without our girls. I think that it is a much needed time for our relationship. It is nice to be able to talk and not have to stop every 2 minutes for something.

We have taken a trip to WDW by ourselves the past several years. We time it with the Wine & Dine half marathon. I will say that if the food and wine festival interests you at all, that this would be the time I recommend to visit. Plan a couple of nice dinners and do the things that you never do with the kids.

Upcoming: 7/14 - BWV, 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2)

2014: Jan - VGC, Mar - BLT
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNipRules View Post
Okay, so DH and I have been to Disney many, many times before. As a former Florida resident, we used to go to Disney pretty much every chance we got. We moved to Alabama 7 years ago and have been once since then.

Well, DH and I decided to plan a family trip for 2015. However, our son told us that he doesn't really want to go. He would be 18 when we go. So, DH and I decided to push off the trip until January/February of 2016. This would be our 20th anniversary. So, it would be a special time for us.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around doing a trip without kids. It's hard to think about because we've always done Disney as a family. The three amigos.

So, as I plan/save for the trip,I'm trying to be upbeat about things. I am looking forward to a trip with just DH and me. I really am, but this is new territory for both of us.

So, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mostly suggestions on how to go about planning this trip and not feeling guilty/sad about going without DS.... LOL!!
First, if your son's like ours, this is a temporary situation, going without him. Our DSs went thru the stage of not wanting to go to WDW with us in their late teens, but then changed back by their early 20s. For now, as two adults, enjoy-non-planning, especially for meals. It's lots easier to get a last minute ADR for just two, or even to walk into a restuarant. And I agree about the F&W festival being a great adult time, maybe do one of the culinary demos (they're about an hour llong and cost about $12).
Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
MsDiz
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up You did it

Well it looks as though you did your job as a Disney parent(s). Before you know it, your future may bring you the delightful job of Disney grandparent! Enjoy your time alone at Disney because that may be short lived. I grew up doing Disney every three years or so. When I had little ones, their Grandpa and Grandma went on our Disney trips with us. It has always been fun with my parents and now my grown children talk of Disney with me when they have kids. Ahhh Disney...the ultimate multi-generational )
MsDiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: