Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2003, 09:50 PM   #136
myjulybabes
Mouseketeer

Ok, count me in! I'm fairly new to the boards, I originally came here for the disABILITIES board to find info about taking my son to WDW. I kept seeing the WISH clipart, and came here to find out what it was all about. As it turns out, this will be a good place for me too! I'm hoping to take the kids to WDW in about a year or so for their very first trip, and my second. I don't want to be huffing and puffing and stopping every 10 min to rest when the kids want to go go go!

I've tried various "diets" and can't seem to stick with any of them for more than a month, so I'm not doing that any more. I'm just going to try to eat healthier stuff, in reasonable portions! But the biggie will be EXERCISE. That was something I was able to stick with for quite some time til a knee injury sidelined me, and I never got back on track. It's a slow way to lose weight, but I know I can stick with it, so that's the plan. I have a lot of exercise tapes, from Richard Simmons right on up to The Firm. So my initial plan is to do a tape 3 days a week, eventually increasing to 5-6 days a week. I also plan to start dropping not-so-subtle hints to the hubby that I want a gym membership for Christmas! LOL I'd really like a treadmill, but aside from the expense, there is no room in our house to put one!

My current stats are 5'6", around 217lbs. (edited to change the weight I entered yesterday. I got on the scale this morning, and found my estimation to be incorrect) My ulimate goal would be to get back to 140lbs, which is what I weighed before having 3 kids, but realistically, I'm aiming for the 150-160 lb range.

This is gonna be such a fun board, I can't wait to get my first clipart for losing!

~Josie~

Last edited by myjulybabes; 11-12-2003 at 09:01 AM.
myjulybabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:31 PM   #137
mplsmom1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the kind remarks Rhonda - I probably was your neighbor and didn't know it! Good luck to you Josie - I think the trip to WDW in fit form is a great goal to strive for - I'm doing that too! It's nice to have support - looks like this board will help!

Oct '08 - AsMo
Apr '04 - AsSp
Nov '01 - AsMo
Oct '99 - AsMo
mplsmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2003, 09:02 AM   #138
Rhonda
Quote of the Day: Happiness is a Warm Puppy!

MyJulyBabes : Welcome Josie!! You'll do great with your exercise plan! And, just cut back on what you eat and watch your portions - you'll start losing in no time! I can't wait to see your new 5 pound clippie!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:50 AM   #139
Wishful
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I'm new to the boards. I was looking for discounts at the Swan and Dolphin and found this site on Google. I'd love to take my mom to WDW again for her birthday in April, our first trip was this year for her birthday too.

Up until a few years ago I was pretty active by convenince/necessity, didn't have a car, lived on a hill, lived near a track to walk on, fun things like that. Somehow I had come up with Hyperthyroidism (overactive) and the treatment to reduce it caused me to become Hypothyroidic (underactive thyroid), so I went from a size 10 or 12 to a size 18. It's partly the thyroid problem and partly being a little discouraged with the weight gain I couldn't help due to my slower metabolism (yes that can be a true thing!). I'm on medication, but my body doesn't seem to be able to regulate itself without adjustments to the doseage.

I live with my mom who has to watch her weight because of her own medical problems and we both see dieticians regularly so we are pretty settled in the food groups and portions monitoring. Luckily neither of us like sweets that much so we don't go on sugar binges, but I think I get a lot of sugar from those "healthy" smoothies. I'll start watching if any of the "good" food I eat is hurting me.

We have a gym at my job and I am going to start working out at least twice a week and then add another day and some more activities as soon as I get toned up. Hopefully some of my achievable New Year's resolutions will be to start taking archery lessons and a scuba class. I'm 5'2" and 218 the last time I checked. I don't look that big because somehow I still have a fit lower half. If you saw my calves and legs you'd think I took aerobics everyday, but I'm very top heavy. I'm not aiming towards a target weight right now, I think that for me to be able to work out and get fit will be the best start.

At my best fitness level - not lowest weight - I was still considered to be heavy but I could regularly walk up 5 flights of stairs without getting winded. I'm a secretary so I sit a lot - but I try to be conscious of my activity and take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk instead of having a runner deliver things around the office, etc.

I'd strongly recommend a thyroid activity test for anyone at least once. When I was hyperthyroidic I sweat a lot, had a slightly elevated heartbeat, could drink alcohol by the bottle literally (that was actually fun) without getting drunk, and didn't need to sleep more than 5 hours a day. I was in my late 20s then, I'm 35 now, so I thought it was just me. During a physical my doctor said my skin felt funny and he could feel something akin to an Adam's apple in my throat. That was my thyroid gland getting bigger. We don't know where the problem came from or how long I had it. It is a serious problem, so look it up on one of the many medical websites or ask your doctor if you could have a thyroid problem. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm glad this group is here. It'll be great to share with everyone.

Well, good luck to everyone!

Regi

p.s. I picked the name Wishful before I saw this board
Wishful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:56 AM   #140
myjulybabes
Mouseketeer

Hi Regi, welcome! I actually am having my thyroid tested too, just waiting for the results. In a way, I hope that's what my problem is, because it would explain so many symptoms that I have (constant fatigue, dry skin, trouble losing weight, depression), but OTOH, doesn't it require medication for the rest of your life? I'm a little nervous about that idea.

I wish you the best in getting your medication regulated, and your journey to get more fit! Welcome to the board!

~Josie~
Old 11-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #141
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

Talking Count me in!

I have been a member of Disboards for sometime but just found the Wish board! I want/need to get healthier because the Dr. told me I'm borderline diabetic and have high cholesterol... I'm at my highest weight ever - even from when I was pregnant! Yikes! Plus we just confirmed the dates for our 2004 trip so I have a full year to get into the best shape ever... no more fat pictures I intend to walk the treadmill at least 25 minutes 3-4 times a week and do my aerobics tapes at least 2 times a week... I'm going to eat healthier... salads instead of burgers for lunch & drink more water!!! Oh & with Christmas shopping here I will find the farthest parking spot at the mall!
Christine

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014
drgnfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:09 AM   #142
A1A1
DIS Veteran

I guess I need to add my name to whatever lists are here. I need to be here.

I have gained and lost lots of weight over the years. I am fearful of my health.

I am going to try a modified Atkins/low carb AGAIN. It seemed to have the quickest weight lost and easiest to follow for me. Hope I can do it again.

I need to be added to the Onderland group, also. I think I can do it, but I am afraid to get on the scale to see where I am at.

I know I am over 200 somewhere. Hopefully under 220. I am in a size 18 again, and want to get down to a 12. I feel very comfortable at that size/weight. I guess I will have to get on there tomorrow morning and face the music.

Please tell me what else I need to do to be included in the roll call.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:11 AM   #143
A1A1
DIS Veteran

MYJULYBABES -

I have hashimoto's disease, it's a form of hypothyroidism. It does slow the metabolism and other systems. I do have to take medication, and will have to take one tablet daily forever.

You will feel better when you do, so don't worry about the "forever" part.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #144
reneeandmark
Earning My Ears

Talking Count me in....

Today is the day that changes the rest of my life... forever. I have had hypothyroidsm for 14 years. Three months ago I was diagnosed diabetic. One month ago they told me I in stage 1 renal failure. My doctor said to change my lifestyles or lose it. Talk about an eye opener. I had already been doing WW for a few months and lost 15 pounds. The doctor gave me a special diet and I have since lost 25 more. I need to lose 100 more. I joined Curves and I LOVE IT!!! It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am NOT eating sugar, white bread, white rice, white pasta or potatoes of any kind. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:17 PM   #145
Minx
Mouseketeer

Struggled to keep my weight under control for many years despite walking 2 miles 3 times a week and salsa aerobics class once a week. Found out recently I've got an under active thyroid so have a slow metabolism so need to work even harder to shift the pounds. I've gone from a size 10 to a 14/16 and hate my body.

As from the 2nd of December my best friend and walking partner is emigrating to New Zealand so I was feeling really low.

Finding you all here has given me the kick I need to keep going. I don't follow a diet plan just healthy eating. I am buying a treadmill to continue my walking but from the comfort of my living room.

Thank you all
Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:45 AM   #146
nativetxn
Honorary Brit
Everyone loves nativetxn
1967---"Summer of Love" sigh
Rabid bat attack survivor

DISboards Moderator

<b>Wishful </b> Welcome to the DIS and a very special welcome to WISH. I love your user name, it is perfect! I'm so glad you decided to join us here.

I'll list your plan as "eating sensibly" if that is alright. I hope you can visit us often and join in the discussions. WISH has been a wonderful help to me and I know the support here will help you too.

<b>drgnfly30</b> You are wise to take control while you are still borderline diabetic. My husband was not so wise and ended up out of control diabetic with a heart attack and bypass surgery. He follows the Atkins plan now and his diabetes is totally under control.

Shall I list your plan as eating sensibly, too? Visit WISH as often as you can, it's very helpful and motivating here.

<b>A1A1</b> Welcome to WISH. We have lots of WISHers following some sort of low carb plan and they have had terrific success, I know you will be successful too.

You are all signed up, nothing more you need to do now except participate here as often as you can. I think you will find WISH to be a supportive and helpful place.

<b>reneeandmark</b> Welcome to the DIS and a special welcome to WISH. I'm so glad you found us and I hope you can visit often.

You sound very determined and motivated about taking of this weight. Good for you! I'm so glad the doctor's food plan is working so well for you. You can do this, we are all going to help you.

<b>Minx</b> I'm so glad to see you here. You are going to do great, I'm sure of it. We all plan to help you. I'll list your plan as "eating sensibly" if that is alright with you. Visit often.

I hope you will join us in chat Sunday at 7pm GMT. We have a lot of fun planning trips in that chat.

<i>You may add the WISH member clipart to your signature if you want. What we do is begin with a <b>zero loss</b> no matter how much weight we may have lost before taking the challenge and then every time we lose 5 pounds we get to "trade up" to a new clipart. It's lots of fun and quite motivating.

There is an excellent post by our own LisaTx telling you how to add the member clipart to your signature right <b>HERE</b>.</i>

I'm so glad you all decided to join us. You're going to love it here. The WISH support group is always here for you. Whether you need support or a smile or even a hug, we'll be here for you if you need us. All we ask in return is that <i>you</i> be here for <i>us</i> if we ask. It's a pretty good deal.

Ready to get started? Well, get going, then. You are all on your way to <b>goal</b> and nothing can stop you now.

Katholyn

Texas Born, Texas Bred and when I die I'll be Texas Dead
nativetxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:34 PM   #147
dyingtodisney
Can't wait to swim in the silly pool

Just found this site after posting for a while on DVC site. We have our first trip planned for June and after seeing my "fat pictures" from our recent trip to Sea World/ Fiesta Texas combined with the thought of going to the beach this summer I'm ready to get serious.
I've tried Atkins and WW and lost weight on both but quit after a few weeks because I felt too busy to count points and keep logs etc.
My new plan is just to eat sensibly (I'm a RN I know what to eat but I don't), Excercise 3-4 times a week (I pay for that gym membership but haven't been in months). So tomorrow I start and my goal is to lose 75 pounds before our trip to Disney in June.
Wish me luck!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:11 PM   #148
starnerella
Earning My Ears

Smile Add me to the WISH list!

I just recently registered here on the DIS and am excited to learn of this weight loss challenge/support group. As many others here have said, I have gained and lost a lot of weight in my adult life. It can certainly be depressing to think of the progress I had made and how I let all that go. But, all I can do is start right now toward a thinner, healthier me.

I am a working mother of one 6 yr old DD. My DH, DD, and I are just beginning to plan our next trip to WDW for Jan 2005. (Yes, I am a compulsive planner who likes to plan ahead.)

I have been following the Weight Watchers program since October of this year and have lost 15 pounds so far. I have a long way to go, but I know I'm on the right track. I find the WW program flexible enough that I believe I can and will follow it long term.

I hope to be thinner and fit for my next WDW trip. My goal is to lose 60 more pounds by then. A tall order, but it will be more than a year till then.

I look forward to getting to know you guys here on the DIS and to get that first clippie when I lose the next 5 pounds!
starnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:44 AM   #149
Miss Park Avenue
Work, work, work...she'll NEVER get her DIS done!
I'll take Ohana's any time!
Shared my sleeping bag with a lizard at FW

Count me in please!

Hi! This is probably my 2000th try at losing weight. I'm at my highest weight (not counting pregnancy) and am miserable. I know I should be pumped up and excited about changing my habits, but I've seen failure so many times, I don't have much faith in myself. All I know is I can't continue this way. No health problems yet but, I am in a size 16 and would love to see a size 12 again. I'm going to Disney in less than a month and know that I won't be able to fit in any of my shorts at the weight I am now. If I could get down one more size, I could fit in them and it would be good mini-goal for now. My ultimate goal would be to lose 50 pounds.

I started keeping a food log. Logging everything I eat, making sure I drink 8 glasses of water a day, what exercise I've done, and if the fat calories I've eaten is less than 30%. I've got the log on a spreadsheet so my computer adds it all up and calculates the percentage so it cuts down on the math work before each meal. It can be a pain to keep up with, but it really makes me keep track of how much I've eaten all day. I don't really forbid any foods, but my total calorie count has to stay under a certain number. That usually keeps me from grabbing that 300 calorie candybar! I also started on some simple exercise tapes. I got one that shows you hula dancing..something I've always wanted to try. It's fun! Then, after I've got some pounds off, I want to go back to my firm tapes, when my knees feel better. The firm workout tapes are an amazing workout, but a killer on the knees. Also, I have my treadmill, which I love. I need to get back on that thing. It is so easy to get out of the habit of exercising! I can't seem to work on increasing my exercise AND eat less at the same time. So right now I am concentrating on diet with a simple hula-workout tape, and plan to move up later.

Atkins, South Beach, or other low carb plans interest me. I've heard of so people having amazing success with them. I LOVE high-carb foods and since the premise seems to be that carbs make you crave more food, I wonder if a low/no carb plan may be the answer for me. I need to learn more about it.

I'm editing this to add that I have added the WISH clipart for beginners. I hope that's OK! I feel better now than when I first wrote this. I know that with support I'll be much better at sticking with it. Thanks!

(dd15) (me) (dh) (dd12)(Samantha)

Last edited by Miss Park Avenue; 11-20-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Miss Park Avenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #150
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Please count me in too.

I feel like a lot of you here.

My real name is Teresa. I've been on WW (I'm a lifetime member), Jenny Craig, WW, etc... Adkins until the MD said that my cholesterol was too high. Oh, I've had a gym membership for 19 years (yearly fee only $25) and haven't been there in over 13 years which happens to be the age of my twin boys. I have a great hubby that has just lost 30 lbs on Adkins which he started with me. I've held my own but need to get motivated.

Tonight I'm going BACK to WW. Tomorrow I'll know what I have to loose. Plan on just keeping focused on a 10% goal. I'm guessing it will be around 100 lbs.

It will be a big help to have on-line support. I do love these DIS boards and am happy to have found my way here.

Now...to do the clip art thing....
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: