Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
ValarDisneyus
Mouseketeer

Special kind of bravery

I hate admitting this online. I feel like the internet is one of the best places for me to "relax" and "talk" to other people because you can't see me, so you have to judge me on the content of my character as displayed through my words.

*sigh*

Sooooo okay then. Just ripping off the bandaid. I have hypothyroidism, and I'm on treatment for military service related anxiety and depression. I can't say when it happened, but I know after my diagnoses I let myself gooooooo. And not in an Elsa I'm-going-to-rough-up-my-bangs way. Just before I decided I really wanted my family to start doing pretty regular vacations, I stepped on a scale and saw exactly 300 pounds. I am ashamed.

For reference, I'm 5'9", if anyone cares. Suffice it to say I know I've been unhealthy for some time. Even when trying to eat healthy, my weight kept creeping up. Sometimes I just felt like....why even try? My thyroid will never cooperate anyway.

Well, my doctor just adjusted my medicine, and I got seriously motivated to lose weight. I want to DO THINGS with my kiddo. I want to have a standard life expectancy.

I am limiting carbs and reasonably limiting calories. I've lost twenty pounds! I'm thinking about joining Planet Fitness.

I just poked in for support. Somehow joining a gym makes me want to cry. I can't even say why that is. Weight training is supposedly REALLY good for heavy people, though, and I have an elliptical and ample sidewalk at home for some cardio. I've already started walking (not quite as often as I'd like, though) to get myself prepared for long days in Disney. If I said Disney wasn't a HUGE motivator, it'd be a lie. Booking everything and having it just ahead of me keeps me motivated.

I'm really hoping I just posted this in a judgement-free zone. Could I trouble somebody for a high five?
ValarDisneyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
SarahDisney
Mouseketeer

High five!

You're moving in the right direction and trying to get healthy, which is such an incredible thing! Twenty pounds is a great start, and I know that if you keep eating well and exercise (and keeping up with your medication, of course), you can lose even more!

Keep up the good work!

My First PTR - All My Bags Are(n't) Packed, (But I'm Ready to Go) (WDW November 2014) - Updated 9/21
Running Journal/PTR - Keep Knowing & Keep Kicking, Kiddo – A 2015 Princess 5K PTR - Updated 9/22

SarahDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarDisneyus View Post
I hate admitting this online. I feel like the internet is one of the best places for me to "relax" and "talk" to other people because you can't see me, so you have to judge me on the content of my character as displayed through my words.

*sigh*

Sooooo okay then. Just ripping off the bandaid. I have hypothyroidism, and I'm on treatment for military service related anxiety and depression. I can't say when it happened, but I know after my diagnoses I let myself gooooooo. And not in an Elsa I'm-going-to-rough-up-my-bangs way. Just before I decided I really wanted my family to start doing pretty regular vacations, I stepped on a scale and saw exactly 300 pounds. I am ashamed.

For reference, I'm 5'9", if anyone cares. Suffice it to say I know I've been unhealthy for some time. Even when trying to eat healthy, my weight kept creeping up. Sometimes I just felt like....why even try? My thyroid will never cooperate anyway.

Well, my doctor just adjusted my medicine, and I got seriously motivated to lose weight. I want to DO THINGS with my kiddo. I want to have a standard life expectancy.

I am limiting carbs and reasonably limiting calories. I've lost twenty pounds! I'm thinking about joining Planet Fitness.

I just poked in for support. Somehow joining a gym makes me want to cry. I can't even say why that is. Weight training is supposedly REALLY good for heavy people, though, and I have an elliptical and ample sidewalk at home for some cardio. I've already started walking (not quite as often as I'd like, though) to get myself prepared for long days in Disney. If I said Disney wasn't a HUGE motivator, it'd be a lie. Booking everything and having it just ahead of me keeps me motivated.

I'm really hoping I just posted this in a judgement-free zone. Could I trouble somebody for a high five?

Wow.... I'm super impressed with your "rip the bandaid and come clean" statement here! That took some guts.

Congrats on making the decision to change your life!! And double congrats on the 20 pounds gone for good!

I too restarted a journey to a slimmer better "me" with the motivation of a Disney trip..... but after the trip I got right back on track and made it to my goal weight about 6 years ago!!! And you know what??? If I did it, ANYONE can do it!!

I would like to invite you to join our September WISH challenge right here on the Dis WISH board (and of course, the October challenge when it begins!). We are a wonderful supportive group of like-minded folks who want to share our struggles and our triumphs with this journey called "weight loss"! We all use a different method.... some folks watch carbs, some follow Weight Watchers, other use Sparkpeople.... all over the place. Some folks (myself included) struggle to get an adequate amount of exercise while others run MARATHONS.... and others are in between those two stages. We are from all over the world (literally) and fall between late teens (well.... we did have a few teens at one point.... but not sure if we still do) and old ladies like me! Some are married, some have kiddos, some are SAHM and others are career folks. So as you can see, we cover every base. But we ALL want to lose weight or maintain a weight loss in a HEALTHY sustainable way! So PLEASE feel free to jump right in and join us!!!........................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yay you!!!

Don't let a gym make you sad. Tour them to make sure you feel comfy there. Some gyms are better than other depending on your needs. My ymca is very easy to be in no matter your size or fitness level, which is nice. They are extremely welcoming and glad you're here. And weight training is great for everyone. I recommend finding a program so you progress nicely and don't get bored. If your gym participates in activtrax, that's a good one.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

The highest of fives.

This is absolutely a judgement free zone. Odds are, if you are reading this section, you've been there. We've all had that moment when we decided enough was enough. Kudos to you for getting started!

Never be sad or ashamed to go to the gym. You are there because you are doing what is necessary to change your life. Be proud of that. If anyone judges you for it, they aren't worth your time or energy.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yay you!!! Don't let a gym make you sad. Tour them to make sure you feel comfy there. Some gyms are better than other depending on your needs. My ymca is very easy to be in no matter your size or fitness level, which is nice. They are extremely welcoming and glad you're here. And weight training is great for everyone. I recommend finding a program so you progress nicely and don't get bored. If your gym participates in activtrax, that's a good one.
I can agree with this! My gym is a Salvation Army community center and it is awesome. There are people there of all levels, ages and sizes.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #7
ValarDisneyus
Mouseketeer

I wish I felt like comfort was in the cards! More than anything else, I need somewhere open 24 hours a day. I work all day, I work on my master's at night. I'm going to start walking on my lunch breaks, but I could still wake up early on Saturday and Sunday and go weight training. (I know it's ideal to put a day of rest in between, but...well. Work with what you've got, right?)
ValarDisneyus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: