Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2003, 05:15 AM   #1
BONZO
Has been known to go off topic!
Apparantly size does matter!
Enjoys a quick rub down with the Sporting Life

Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Day 2 Check in to WL

Day 2– Wednesday 20th August 2003

Cast list:

Shaun - 40 something 'If it's not alcoholic I won't drink it'
Alison - 30 something 'If it spins I won't even look at it'
Alexandra - 10 'If it goes upside down I won't ride it'
Laura - 8 'If it's not pizza I won't eat it'

The alarm goes off at 6.30am, but I’d been awake for a while determined not to oversleep this morning. I get up for work at the crack of dawn anyway so I’m used to this although it’s a bit of a struggle for the others.
Alison packed the overnight stuff (all bar the swimming cossies and toothbrushes and paste) while I raised the troops, then we headed off to check-in, which was pretty much deserted at that time, although it quickly filled up. We had 2 window seats and 2 middle seats, one behind the other.

A nice man from airport security sidled up to us and singled out our luggage for "special treatment" and we were whisked away to Room 101. I about to declare that I’m allergic to Latex but soon discover that it’s just our bags that have been singled out for X-Ray. I’m not sure why – maybe something to do with the Biohazard sticker that I put on them for easy identification off the luggage carousel! – LOL
Afterwards we were ushered back to the check-in desk and given front of line access to stow our bags. Job done, it’s back to the hotel for swim, sauna, shave and shower – I swear there was something else but this is a family board! Then we checked out and headed over to the terminal for breakfast. We wandered through security about 9.45am (no queues to speak of - not too many people around at all!) and bought the obligatory newspapers, magazines and sweets.
We were called for boarding about 10.20 and took off about 40 minutes late in the end after an air traffic control delay.

Well, what can I say about the flight? You all know what it’s like - long and boring! However the food and entertainment were good. Lunch was either beef or chicken - pretty tasty it was too! We all watched Captain Nemo - which was excellent plus parts of other TV programmes etc.
Chap next to me didn’t say a word throughout the entire flight – maybe the shirt shocked him too much? Alison had a young American lad next to her - 11 years old - who’d had to be split up from his family due to lack of seating. He chatted away all about Orlando and WDW - although Alison knew more than he did!! He and his family had been on a month long trip to Europe.

We landed at MCO about 10 minutes early - in pouring rain!! We raced off the plane white and green forms in hand and found the Immigration hall pretty quiet. Only had to wait a few minutes and we were called forward to the chattiest, happiest, friendliest officer we have EVER seen! He was chatting to the kids all about their plans for the holiday and how we’d brought all the English rain with us! And he wished us a happy vacation. Wow - that was a change from previous years!!

We grabbed our cases (packed light this year - only 2 bags!!) and went through customs and passed our bags back again. Grabbed the monorail over to the main building (the sun was out by now) and ignored the luggage claim signs and went down to complete our car hire paperwork. There was nobody in line at all so we got through that really quickly and then I went up to pick up the cases while Alison stayed with the hand luggage. (Note form Alison: This was a really good way of doing things - by the time Shaun came downstairs with the cases the lines were building up at the desks with people struggling with their cases, hand luggage and kids etc)

TIP – Before going to final baggage reclaim, blast down to the car hire desks so that there’s no queue. When you’ve done at the desks, go back to baggage reclaim and go straight to the garage to pick up your car.

Off to Dollar to pick up our "car" – the kids faces were priceless as we’d ordered a people carrier which turned out to be a 3.8L V6 Dodge Grand Caravan petrol drinker. The kids were very impressed!

Off we drove but the route we took sent us down a couple of toll roads. On one we ended up going through a toll booth and not paying - as it needed a 25 cent coin and we didn’t have any coins! We pressed the help/intercom button but no one was there and there was no slot for notes. An American guy pulled up in a car just after we’d gone through and told us not to worry about it - he was an off duty policeman and assured us that they wouldn’t chase us for 25 cents!

After that we were fine - and felt the usual shiver as we drove onto Disney property, finally pulling up at the Wilderness Lodge barrier. The security guard asked our name when we said we were checking in and then handed us our pre printed parking slip. We drove through and parked up outside the Wilderness Lodge– boy this place still has the WOW! Factor for me. I don’t know what it is about Disney property that does this, but if I did I’d patent it and be a millionaire.

We checked in no problems (asked about concierge upgrade - but it would cost $60 plus tax per night - I don’t think so!) and bought our E-Ride night tickets for the following Friday. We walked along to our room - keeping our fingers crossed. All we had previously requested was a quiet non smoking room. We’d rather have a longer walk to the pool/restaurants etc and be able to sleep easier.

We arrived at our room (2002) and it was just what we wanted - a nice quiet room at the end of the corridor away from the ice machine and lifts. The room was brilliant, so big and we had a view overlooking the pontoon where the ferry leaves. We could also see the geyser erupting every hour through the day. Superb!

The only downside was those legs on the bloomin' bed - they are
strategically positioned so that they catch your shins every time! We all ended up bruised!

We grabbed a bite to eat at the Roaring Forks and bagged a couple of the 20 oz drink cups for the duration - you can never have enough of these - LOL

Alison and I had chilli dogs, Alexandra had chicken strips and Laura had…mmmmm…pizza!!

Then off we went to pick up our APs from the MK ready for the following day. Gulped a bit at the large amount of $$ they cost (used our Disney Club card for a discount though) and considered popping into the MK for a bit but the girls were wilting somewhat and we still needed to get some shopping in.

Back on the ferry to the WL and had a reviving swim. The girls loved the pool - their only complaint all holiday was that no pool they swam in was deep enough to dive - and they love diving!!

Then we popped over to Goodings for some "essential supplies" - beer, pickled pigs feet, beef jerky etc! - LOL The girls were falling asleep by now so we decided to unpack, have a couple of beers and catch an earlyish night.

Tomorrow’s plan: Who knows? We’re not doing commando style this holiday!!

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2007 ~ POR, HRH, GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, WLV
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:02 AM   #2
Tartan Tigger
I fixed my PC MYSELF!!!!!!!!
I need all the help I can get
Sends little flat people around the world
I tossed my cookies for Dixie Amos

Re: Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Day 2 Check in to WL

Quote:
Originally posted by BONZO
Tomorrow’s plan: Who knows? We’re not doing commando style this holiday!!
Is there another way to do Disney?
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2003, 09:15 AM   #3
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Another great day.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:14 AM   #4
BONZO
Has been known to go off topic!
Apparantly size does matter!
Enjoys a quick rub down with the Sporting Life

Here's a pic from our room at WL

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2007 ~ POR, HRH, GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, WLV
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #5
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Hearing you describe WL takes me back to our trip there last year and wow what a hotel and like none I have ever been to before.
Great report.
Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
Mrs Dazzle
Florida-mad (well, mad full stop!)
Looking for her George Clooney doctor...
Tag Fairy's don't go on holiday (or vacation) ;-)

Sounds like a great first day. Who did you fly over with?

Not so sure about the pickled pigs feet though, Shaun
Oct/Nov 83 - tour of Florida; June 99 - Orlando/Sand Key; May 00 - Orlando/St Pete Beach; May 01 - St Pete Beach; Sept/Oct 01 - (Hong Kong & Philippines); Oct 02 - Orlando/Marco Island/Keys; May 03 - (St Lucia); Oct 03 - Orlando/Marco Island; Dec 04 - Xmas skiing in a winter wonderland; Aug 05 - Ft Myers Beach/Orlando; Easter 06 - Skiing Lake Tahoe/San Fransisco; Easter 07 - Boston/Killington for another American ski adventure Oct 07 - Orlando; Aug 08 - Florida for three weeks; Apr 09 - Katie's 16th birthday treat with mum to NewYorkOct 09 - Miami & Marco Island; June 12 - Celebrate Divorce in Barbados June 13 - Orlando & Barbados with my lovely DD
Mrs Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
AlisonB
Bonzo's DW!!
The Tag Fairies visit EVERYWHERE, Alison! Just ask AngelUK :-)
All Aboard! Now Leaving Twoterville!!!

OOps! Sorry - we were with BA this year. We slightly prefer them to Virgin.
1994 - EuroDisney
1999 - Offsite
2001 - CBR & Polynesian
2003 - Wilderness Lodge & Hard Rock
2004 - Pop, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Club
2007 - POR, HRH, Grand Floridian
2008 - ASSp, BCV, VB, RPR, VWL
AlisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 03:32 AM   #8
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Wonderful trip reports ~ Thanx for sharing!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:32 PM   #9
Astrid
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars

Wow! What a view!

Got called by the kids halfway through one of your sentences and read .....

We landed at MCO about 10 minutes early - in pouring rain!! We raced off the plane white and green ...

... for a while there I thought you'd all been plane sick!!

Astrid x
DLP - Dec '97
ASMu - Mar '02
Off Site & The Polynesian - May '03
Off Site & The Dolphin - Dec '03
The Dolphin/The Yacht Club & Sam's Wedding - May '04
HRH & Private Villa - Oct '05
Private Villa & Royal Pacific Resort - May '07
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 03:27 PM   #10
WebmasterPenny
Trying to be cheeky...
Don't trifle with the Tag Fairy

Great start and a great view from your room! I love WL - so lovely and quiet and picturesque

Off to day 3...

Assistant Webmaster
WebmasterPenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: