Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2003, 04:35 AM   #1
mkingdon
Obsessed...and admits it!!

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms - Sponsored by VISA - Day One Prequel

Cast

Me - Craig, only just 33. Rucksack carrier and stroller pusher.
Louise - Wife, 34, slowly becoming addicted to WDW.
Emily - Aged 8. Moody, full of attitude and daddy’s girl.
Rebecca - Aged 6. Comedian, Olympic eater and worrier.

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms, sponsored by VISA.

Day One - Thursday 14th August – Last day of work….that lasted a week

Arrived at work at 8.15, just glad to be out of the house, which was full of cases, excited children and animals. Louise had to take Henry (Neurotic Cocker Spaniel), Marmalade (huge orange cat) and Pumpkin (small devil spawn of a cat) to the kennels today. Her day also included a million other jobs, and last minute shopping, so a day in the office seemed the better option.

I’ve been talking about this holiday for 2 years, from the day we got back from our last trip. I have been talking about it a lot for 13 months, since we booked, and I have been driving the entire family mad for the last 8 months as I got really excited.

So the kids were sick of hearing about Disney. However, as they could now almost taste the airport, they were VERY excited, if not hyper.

As of 8.15 on this day I had my work life all in order. I was very up to date, my team fully briefed on what to do in my absence, so I felt quite smug as I sat at my desk browsing the DIS, sorry I mean, ploughing through my enormous workload.

However, a couple of phone calls later and I have two major emergencies to be sorted. So after a stressful last day, the clock found it’s way to 5.30. Well, to be honest 5.25. I did a runner five minutes early just to beat the traffic!!! It made all the difference.

I arrived home at 6.05. Kids waiting on the drive, smiles as big as mine, cases in the hall. One final dash around the house to unplug everything, and then we got the cases in the car. Amazingly we are travelling quite light this time. We have one medium case (not full) and the kids have a small pull along thing each, with their own stuff in them. Of course we have the obligatory rucksack as hand luggage, which will feature later during our yomp around the parks. Incredibly, we don’t forget anything, and don’t have to turn around five minutes later to drive back home, and have the “it was your fault” row to start the holiday.

Drove to Manchester Airport. Found Bewleys Hotel with no problem. Checked in, sorted the car parking out for the fortnight, and went to our room. Quite nice to be honest. Usual stuff, two double beds, TV, coffe/tea making, decent bathroom. Ł89 for the room and 15 days parking, not bad I thought.

Decided to head over to the buzzing metropolis that is Manchester Airport. Caught the courtesy bus from the hotel to Terminal 1. From my childhood, I always remember the airport as an exciting, busy place, full of great shops and restaurants. It was shut!!

All the shops had closed or were doing so. So we bought a drink from the ever so authentic Boddingtons pub (done up to look like a Northern back street pub). One pint of lager, one red wine and two cokes. Best part of a tenner. Now I don’t go to the pub very often to be honest, but the last time I did, I could get drunk on a tenner, get a kebab and a taxi home and still have enough change to lose down the back seat of the taxi.

Sat at a table near the window to watch the planes. Once we were bored of that we left five minutes later.

Headed back to the hotel, but had to wait about half an hour for the courtesy bus to arrive. Back to the room and tried to get the kids to sleep. No chance. Initial plan was for the girls to sleep in the same bed. After an hour of giggling, fighting and messing about (and the girls weren’t much better) I swapped with Emily and had to sleep with Rebecca, the snorer.

Eventually we all drifted off to sleep…until about 1.50am, when a jumbo jet decided to play the game of, let’s see if we can run our wheels down the roof of Bewley’s Hotel. I am not kidding, this plane must have been inches from our roof. Louise being a very nervous flyer anyway, was then awake all night listening for more planes to join us in bed.

I struggled for many seconds to get back to sleep.

Tomorrow, the start of the journey.
Cypress Pointe August 2004

Trip Report 2003 - The Williams Tour of Florida Restrooms Sponsored by VISA

The Sunshine, Moonlight, Good Times & Boogie(board) Tour August 2007

mkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:37 AM   #2
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Craig,
What a busy pre flight day. Ideal hotel for a plane spotter!!!
Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Great start
Old 09-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #4
Tartan Tigger
I fixed my PC MYSELF!!!!!!!!
I need all the help I can get
Sends little flat people around the world
I tossed my cookies for Dixie Amos

Love your style of writing, I think I'm going to enjoy your reports.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
squitty
With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Finds it hard to type with her eyes closed

Nice start:D

Looking forward to the rest
Old 09-04-2003, 05:57 AM   #6
Mrs Dazzle
Florida-mad (well, mad full stop!)
Looking for her George Clooney doctor...
Tag Fairy's don't go on holiday (or vacation) ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tartan Tigger
Love your style of writing, I think I'm going to enjoy your reports.
Me too:D
Pumpkin - I think we may have the sister cat
Oct/Nov 83 - tour of Florida; June 99 - Orlando/Sand Key; May 00 - Orlando/St Pete Beach; May 01 - St Pete Beach; Sept/Oct 01 - (Hong Kong & Philippines); Oct 02 - Orlando/Marco Island/Keys; May 03 - (St Lucia); Oct 03 - Orlando/Marco Island; Dec 04 - Xmas skiing in a winter wonderland; Aug 05 - Ft Myers Beach/Orlando; Easter 06 - Skiing Lake Tahoe/San Fransisco; Easter 07 - Boston/Killington for another American ski adventure Oct 07 - Orlando; Aug 08 - Florida for three weeks; Apr 09 - Katie's 16th birthday treat with mum to NewYorkOct 09 - Miami & Marco Island; June 12 - Celebrate Divorce in Barbados June 13 - Orlando & Barbados with my lovely DD
Mrs Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:01 AM   #7
RobinMarie
^5

I can tell I'm going to enjoy this report! Thanks in advance!
RobinMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:05 AM   #8
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Wonderful start!!!!
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:18 AM   #9
disney daft dad
Mouseketeer

Craig

Love your sense of humour, can't wait to go on and read the rest...once I wipe the tears from my face

Disney Daft Mum

Val
xx
'03 Polynesian
'04 ASMo
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'December 08,2003 4:30:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to 1st WDW Xmas!! Can`t wait </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'On way 2 Mickeymouseland!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'September 26, 2004 6:15:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=fuchsia>Back to the Magic and Taking friends for their 1st Visit </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Having Fun with Mickey';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
disney daft dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
AlisonB
Bonzo's DW!!
The Tag Fairies visit EVERYWHERE, Alison! Just ask AngelUK :-)
All Aboard! Now Leaving Twoterville!!!

Great start - off for part 2 now.
1994 - EuroDisney
1999 - Offsite
2001 - CBR & Polynesian
2003 - Wilderness Lodge & Hard Rock
2004 - Pop, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Club
2007 - POR, HRH, Grand Floridian
2008 - ASSp, BCV, VB, RPR, VWL
AlisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:13 AM   #11
Astrid
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars

I've been recommended to read your trip reports and if Day One is anything to go by it's a good recommendation!

Astrid
DLP - Dec '97
ASMu - Mar '02
Off Site & The Polynesian - May '03
Off Site & The Dolphin - Dec '03
The Dolphin/The Yacht Club & Sam's Wedding - May '04
HRH & Private Villa - Oct '05
Private Villa & Royal Pacific Resort - May '07
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: