Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 09:37 PM   #46
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can definitely request a hair dryer from housekeeping. I don't know about the coffee maker.

Riverside's main pool has a big round wading pool, a hot tub, and an extensive playground.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #47
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

We returned from a week long stay at POR on Aug. 16. We did have a coffee maker in our room. We didn't request it, they just brought it to us.

Also, only half of bldg 18 is smoking optional now.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2003, 12:08 AM   #48
danacath
I think DH was starting to question their sanity
I feel like I must be forgetting something!

TDC Nala, thanks for the pool info! (BTW, your spam haiku is a big hit with DH. lol )

EpcotBill, how was the construction coming along when you were there? Any major changes?
Old 08-26-2003, 01:26 PM   #49
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

We didn't notice any construction. The sign for POFQ is gone, but I didn't see anything going on there. Even when we took the boat to DTD, we only saw one guy sitting outside a FQ room, taking a break. He looked like a painter.

They did paint our walkway around bldg 16 while we were there. That was the only "construction" we saw.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:45 PM   #50
kinggoofy
DIS Veteran

We just returned on Sunday 8-24. We ttok the boat to DTD at least 5 times. A few of the times we had a driver ( Don, I think ) who said that FQ is now going to open BY CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR.

We too saw no construction going on. Alot of the windows along the river had no treatments. He said all rooms were being "renovated". New carpeting, plumbing and electrical fixtures, painting, window treatments; and new bedding.

I was shcoked when he said it would be opened by XMAS-03.
CBR-Sept. 93 ( Honeymoon); ASMu-Aug. 97; CSR - Aug.98; PO-Aug. 99; DXL-Aug. 00; POR- Aug. 01; POR- Aug. 02; POR-Thanksgiving 02; POR-Aug 03 (Celebrated 10th wedding anniversary this trip); POR-Aug. 04; POR-Thanksgiving 04; POR-August 05; POR-Thanksgiving 05; POR-June 06; POR-Thanksgving 06: CBR-ESPN The Weekend Mar 07; POP-Memorial Day Weekend 07; Poly-Aug 07; BW-Thanksgiving 07; Poly-April 08 DW Birthday Present ; Poly Aug 08 (15th Wedding Anniversary); POR - Thanksgiving 08; Aug 09 YC; POR- Thanksgiving 09; Aug 10- Yacht Club to celebrate our 25th Visit to Walt Disney World; POR- Thanksgiving 10 ; POR August 2011; Poly Aug 2012 OKW in Nov 2012 OKW 2013; POR & SSR Thanksgiving 2013; SSR 4/14 (DW bday gift ) and BWV in August 2014

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS..2010 & 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
CHICAGO CUBS..1908 WORLD CHAMPIONS
Old 08-26-2003, 03:59 PM   #51
Lou-Ann
DIS Veteran

:D How neat that would be...........Here's hoping it opens then.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:44 PM   #52
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

I tried to update the smoking building stuff, but I can't... I have to remove some pictures from the first post. Can't decide which ones, though.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:02 PM   #53
deecee99
Has sore hands from all that clapping

Kinggoofy -

Xmas 03, as in this year?! Boy, how excited would I be for that!!

Wonder when they'd open it up for booking ... I've still got to book January and am waiting for a decent rate.

Thanks for the info ... and if anyone has heard similar, let us all know!

Cheers,
-d

ps: congrats on celebrating your 10th!
Old 09-19-2003, 07:05 PM   #54
Janet2k
DIS Veteran

I will be staying at Port Orleans -- Riverside for the first time very soon. I am really looking forward to my stay. I have stayed at the French Quarter before and completely loved that resort (click here for my PO-FQ photos). Since French Quarter is currently closed, it's the Riverside for me. I will be in a handicapped room so I promise to report back how things went, along with photos of the room. By the way, I am looking forward to seeing Bob Jackson (click here) again. :D
Old 09-26-2003, 12:23 PM   #55
mnbrowns
DIS Veteran

Carriage rides?

I remember reading that PO Riverside now has carragie rides. Does anyone have more information on this?
Old 09-26-2003, 04:59 PM   #56
deecee99
Has sore hands from all that clapping

Info from Deb's site on Carriage rides is here.http://www.wdwig.com/faq_dxl.htm

Hope this helps!
--diane
Old 10-08-2003, 07:40 PM   #57
lminster
Earning My Ears

Question POR - Getting a mansion room

First of all, Thank you so much for posting those wonderful pictures of the POR resort!

My family and I are leaving in less than 3 weeks. I put a request in our reservation for a mansion room at the POR. We are a group of eight traveling all the way from Alaska. I would like to stay at the POR, but I have seriously considered changing to the Carribean Beach resort only because of my concern that my request will not be granted. I absolutely DO NOT want to stay in a AB room. I live with that rustic look everyday and I want to vacation in the ellegance of a southern mansion.

What do you experienced WDW veterans suggest? If there some way to assure I will get the room I want, or should I try to change my resort.

Looking foward to your reply.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 AM   #58
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Room requests are not guaranteed. The odds are probably pretty good, but you won't be able to be absolutely sure you will get in the section you want. You could try telling the front desk at check in that you'll wait for rooms in the mansions. If it's at a high-traffic time it may not matter, and you'll have to take whatever they've got. If this will make or break your trip, you might want to consider staying elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #59
countrydoc
Earning My Ears

Staples (Food) at POR

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, this is my first post. (I was at WDW 10 and 29 years ago.)
we are hoping to save some bucks on food while there 2/04 -3/04. We hope to bring cereal and bowls and eat Bkfst in the room. Is there a place there (?Fulton's?) where we can buy milk and a foam cooler? And did any of you feel a need to have a car while there (we're flying in), or was the DTS adequate? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:07 PM   #60
jerseydizdreamer
Mouseketeer

What's up, (country) Doc?

Hey, Doc. I've never stayed at POR, but have stayed at Disney quite often, and here's what I've learned over the years:

Yes, you can buy milk and such at just about every resort, but it'll cost ya! I think you'd be better of stopping at a grocery store on the way in from the airport and picking up supplies, and then paying the extra fee the resorts generally charge in order to get a fridge in your room.

I've never had a car at Disney, and have always relied on the Disney transportation system. I've never had a problem, but then again, I'm a very patient person. I don't mind tacking on the extra time to get from here to there. For many others, this is an issue (especially if they make a lot of priority seating arrangements or early character breakfasts, and need to get to a certain place by a very specific, early hour in the morning).

If you decide to rent a car, stopping at a grocery store won't be a problem. If you don't, you could always hire a car to take you from the airport to the resort, and most will throw in a brief stop at a grocery store for free (check the transportation board for more info on that). I don't remember ever seeing a foam cooler being sold on Disney property (not that I was specifically looking, but...). I'd guess they probably don't so as to encourage that you pay more for individual meals, but that's just a guess on my part. And again, for about $10 a day, I believe, you can get a fridge in your room.

Hope this helps! I'll be at POR from Nov. 29-Dec. 6, my first stay at that particular resort, but if you'd like to PM me when I return, I'll be glad to tell you anything I found out about the resort, food options and the stores on property!

Richard

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: