Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #151
Layla
Earning My Ears

My 13 year old son and I are going to WDW for his first time ever! I have only been there twice in 1983 (stayed at the contemporary) and in 1985 (stayed off site). I couldn't believe how many resorts there are now! While I'd a loved to have stayed in a deluxe, I decided we'd rather stay in a moderate for a longer stay. I had quite a bit of trouble deciding which one. But thanks to this message board and all of you! we decided on the POR Riverside Just wanted to thank you all for the information you have posted which helped us tons!! Now I am trying to decide if we should stay in the alligator bayou (is that right?) or one of the mansions...if we have a choice that is. Anyway, just wanted to thank you all again
Old 06-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #152
ejgmom
Earning My Ears

I can't speak about the Mansions, but I know we loved AB. I had thought I wanted to stay in the Mansions because they looked so Southern and I love Gone with the Wind. But, I loved the Bayou! We were in Bldg. 18 which was close to everything. We were a short walk to the food court, so it was easy to refill our mugs and pick up a quick bite.
Have a great trip!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #153
Layla
Earning My Ears

I've seen pictures of inside the rooms. Is the decor the same in the mansions and the AB rooms? My son isn't really liking the rustic look and I was wondering if the mansions are a bit fancier? 16 days to go!!! We're both so excited
Old 06-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #154
ejgmom
Earning My Ears

I can't comment on the Mansions rooms, but I can say that I had thought the same thing. We ended up in AB and I loved it! It's not "rustic" eventhough it appears that way in photos. The beds do look like log beds and it has a more country feel, but we loved it. The AB bldgs. are so peaceful with all of the trees surrounding them and the meandering paths.
Hope this helps!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #155
sunkissed212
DIS Veteran
I belong to the Addicted to Undergarments club

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question ...

...how far in advance can you make your specific requests for buildings/areas of the resort?

My reservation is for 9/4-9/7 of this year and I am wondering if it is too early to request a certain area or building.

During my initial reservation call, I did request a non smoking room but I didn't get any more specific than that.

T-I-A!

Me(35), DH (36), GGB Triplets (03/25/13)

Annual WDW Family Vacations 1978-1996 - Polynesian
09/04 - Riverside
01/15 - BLT?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:49 PM   #156
sunkissed212
DIS Veteran

map??

Does anyone know where I can get a readable map of POR? All of the links I have followed take me to maps but they are too small to read on the computer. I tried printing but that didn't help either. Are there any bigger ones anywhere that anyone knows of? Thanks!

09/04 - Riverside
01/15 - BLT?
Old 07-02-2004, 05:57 PM   #157
Layla
Earning My Ears

I used the map at http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/dixiemap.jpg If you click on the map, a button will come up on the bottom right where you can zoom in on it.

10 more days til we leave!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #158
sunkissed212
DIS Veteran

Thanks. That map is much easier to read the building numbers on.

Okay, on to my next question. When you check in at POR, if you have a building far from the main building...do you just drive over somewhere closer to your building? I ask because at the Polynesian, they usually (or used to at least) have little golf carts that they would take you to your building in. They would drop you off at the door and direct you to your room from there. I don't know if other resorts do this or not?

09/04 - Riverside
01/15 - BLT?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:02 PM   #159
Lou-Ann
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for that great map. It is so much easier to use than even the one they issue at the front desk.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #160
Texowl2
Mouseketeer

bump so I can find this
Old 07-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #161
Layla
Earning My Ears

My son and I just returned from 6 nights at the Port Orleans - Riverside Resort. I have to say, it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed at. I had only been to WDW once before in 1983 and stayed at the Contemporary. At that time I remember being in total awe of that place but, when we went over to the Contemporary this trip, I wasn't impressed. It was just a huge concrete building, no real pretty landscaping or anything. It didn't even seem as clean on the grounds as Port Orleans. We also got to see parts of a few other resorts. Port Orleans Riverside I thought was by far the best!! We stayed in the Oak Manor Mansion and loved it!! And thanks for the tips on the mugs! We carried a back pack at all times to the theme parks, etc and just always had our mugs in it. When we'd get back "home", we'd walk by the food court on our way to our room and fill up our mugs. Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for your help in our decision on where to stay. You sure didn't steer us wrong, I was so happy with the Port Orleans :D Can't wait to go back!!

Nancy
Old 07-22-2004, 07:38 PM   #162
Layla
Earning My Ears

Regarding transportation to the rooms, we were given a golf cart ride with our luggage to and from our room when we checked in and out.

Nancy
Old 08-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #163
LuvN~Travel
A DMV employee noticed that I lost weight
part of the wear whatever is clean crowd!

A quick question here...what direction do the buses run around POR, clockwise or counterclockwise? We're thinking of going in May of 2005, and want to know what mansions to possibly beg for.
Kim
Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 PM   #164
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

When I was at POFQ 2 weeks ago the bus ran from FQ to Riverside, stopping at the South Depot first then going clockwise to the West, North, and East depot's.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #165
patsvette
DIS Veteran

Hey everyone,My wife and i are going to be staying at POR on oct 24th-29th for our anniversary,we have been trying to go every year since we were married.This is my first time staying at port orleans riverside,ive stayed in grand floridian,poly, and contemporary and grand floridian was outstanding.But we wanted to try something different this time,we asked for a water view is there any particular room or area to ask for?We just found out shes pregnant also so this trip will be just to relax and enjoy each others company not as much as the rides and stuff (since shes pregnant)and high risk.So is the POR a good place to relax spend some quiet time etc...Also we asked for a king bed how are the beds and how are the rooms in general?Any pics of the rooms?We absolutley love disney,ive been going since i was 6 and and got her started when we went for our honeymoon there.OUr entire bedroom is disney ,our 2 cats are micky and minnie and enough disney globes to last a life time.Ok enough rambling ,thanks in advance .
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: