Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
NCgirl71
Earning My Ears

Fastpass and going solo

I've been lurking the board for a little while and decided to finally post a question I have.

I have not been to Disney in over 20 yrs. so much has changed. The Fastpass concept is all new to me and frankly seems to make planning a little overwhelming. I'm considering going solo sometime in October and wondered if a Fastpass is necessary? Are there many single lines. I remember the days of waiting 30-45 min in line and was okay with that. Reading these boards you walk away thinking you can't even ride without a Fastpass . That seems crazy to me. Are the lines really that long without one? I'm talking over 45 min? I know people are different in their tolerance of waiting but how much wait are we really talking about here?

TIA
NCgirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

October is typically a pretty good time for ride wait times but it's in the middle of food and wine which draws more people. September has always been my favorite time for low crowds. There are a few rides with a single rider line (TT, EE & RnR) and yes, some rides will likely exceed a 45 minute wait at some point during your trip. I would still utilize fast passes for late in the day on popular rides without a single rider line like TOT, the mountains in MK, etc.

Don't let all the talk on here make you think the lines are intolerable. They have also made a lot of updates to the ride lines that make them interactive and fun to wait in. Plus free wifi on your phone gives you something else to do if you get bored and don't feel like chatting with strangers in line.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
NCgirl71
Earning My Ears

Okay. Thanks for the info. I try to skim the boards for info but try to overlook some of the posts that are a little out there but I was seeing so much that talked about missing a ride because they couldn't get a Fastpass and they were not even on the trip yet. Lol!! Now I consider myself a planner but I think there is such a thing as over planning .
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
amfie928
Mouseketeer

I will be there in October too and although my family has never been FP commandos we would utilize the old system when there was a headliner we wanted to ride. I plan on making FP+ resos for a few rides and possible wishes but since this trip is solo for me I don't plan on doing a ton. If its a must ride for me then I will. I agree with you on some of the threads...reading them makes me think I am going to ride 3 things all day the way it sometimes comes across! I live near Cedar Point and there is no FP there. I have waited 2.5/3 hrs for rides! 40 minutes at Disney is nothing!
amfie928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
SueDonym3
Mouseketeer

I have traveled in October for the past 3 years (and again this year) for F&W. (This year will be my 2nd solo trip for F&W) It is my favorite time to go and to go solo-As for the lines-they are not bad. The worst line I waited in was for Toy Story Midway Mania-that was the year it opened, and I waited 90 min. to ride it. BUT that was the only ride like that. Otherwise, never waited more than 30 min for headliners. The best part about riding solo is when you hear them call out single rider and you get to jump in front of 20/30 people...it happens a lot on Soarin-which is another favorite.
SueDonym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
NCgirl71
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the pointers. Now I just need to make some decisions:-). .
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
winthropf
Mouseketeer

The only single rider lines are Test Track, Rockin' Rollercoaster, and Epedition Everest. Over the last few years the lines at single rider have gotten longer with groups of up to 6 getting in the single rider line. I have even seen a father and young daughter get in the single rider line and then the father insist that he had to ride with the daughter.

I go solo a few times a year and use FP+ and single rider lines. But as always, showing up at rope drop is your best bet for short lines.
winthropf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

The single rider for Test Track works very well, but the one for RnRC is barely worth it. It moves quite slow because of how grouping works on that ride. I would definitely FP Soarin' and single TT for Epcot.

I am planning a possible solo trip for Halloween and would be doing the MNSSHP on the 31st (still not 100% on this though). I have a thread a few down and some other solos will be around then if that matches up with your dates and you want to meet with others.

Lifetime WDW Visits: 6 (Plus 1 DL)
When leaving Disney, heed the advice of the Ghost Hostess and...
"Hurry Baaaack! Hurry Baaaack!"
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: