DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:05 PM   #91
PamOKW
The two most important items for keeping warm are a hat and gloves
I just went into the twilight zone with this thread
Prefers original Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

I certainly did not make a personal attack on anyone and I clearly said that what is being done does fall into the way the system is currently run. People can book prime dates and then decide whether to use them or rent them out for cash. I never said anything personally against anyone. I do not have any delusion that this is a "country club" or even the "Disney family", it is a way to have vacations.

Maybe "beating the system" is not the way to phrase my concern. To me, DVC was sold as a way for an individual to vacation. It also gave you the option to share these trips with friends and family and to even take compensation for doing so. It was phrased that "no commercial purpose could be used". At the time of purchase, I even asked whether someone advertising in the New York Times would be stopped and was told yes, that would be a commercial use. Using the Internet to rent first became apparent around the time of 12/31/1999. Since then it's continued to grow. However, it still seems to be a small percentage. My concern is that if people booking the most desirable weeks solely to market them to people who rent, could throw this delicate system out of whack. No accusation -- no personal attack. Just an expression of my concern.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #92
disneyberry
dreaming of adventure
DVC Member 2003

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

well, i reread the whole thread one more time... and here's my opinion on the original topic of this thread:

i think the issue is not "an example of renters hurting us".

it is an issue of "an example of how members who book multiple what-if ressies are hurting us."

basically, it is "inconsiderate" to other members if you book multiple, or i would go so far as to say even ONE what-if ressie.

if you are not sure you're going, then you shouldn't even book anything. (yeah, right...)
otherwise you are "taking away" some available nights that another member who was SURE they were vacationing those dates could book.

the issue is not limited to renters, and really should have nothing to do with renters or rentees. the discontent should NOT be directed at renters or rentees, but at ANY member who books what-if ressies.

of course, in reality i bet there are extremely few members who are actually that selfless as to be willing to wait until they are 100% certain they are travelling before booking any rooms.

Last edited by disneyberry; 03-30-2003 at 12:31 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2003, 02:50 PM   #93
Synonymous
I know all about it, see?

Quote:
Silver Creek, NY, near the Native American reservation, per chance?
That's about 5 miles up the road. Have you been here?

Offsite- 7/81, 10/90
WL- 11/99
BWV- 2/01, 6/08
VWL- 9/01, 2/02, 12/05
BCV- 11/02, 5/04, 4/06
BCV, AKL & VWL- 4/03
AKL & VWL- 11/03
SSR- 5/05, 11/07
AKV- 9/07
Old 03-28-2003, 03:29 PM   #94
Dean
DIS Veteran

Re: An example of renters hurting us

I am in the Bahama's and don't have the time to read the entired thread so I'll apoligize if this has been covered ad nauseum and with 7 pages I suspect it has. This is the system in place and we bought into this system as it is set up. I have personally recommended members make more than one reservation or reserve more time than they need then cancel what they don't need. It could be changed but to do that would be to set up costs and or penalties for changes far greater than there are now. Is that what everyone wants. I can tell you for certain that this is far more common with members than with renters. With renters it's only held for short time, with members, it may not be cancelled until 31 days out. Lets set up charges and penalties to prevent this type of behavior for all members regardless of the use intended!
Old 03-28-2003, 04:33 PM   #95
CaptainMidnight
Registered

Quote:
Lets set up charges and penalties to prevent this type of behavior for all members regardless of the use intended!
Nope, I dissagree. DVC was not intended for large rental use, it is intended as family vacation ownership. Those setting up skewed and multiple reservations for renting purposes as a private business are doing so at the detriment of DVD members making reservations for family vacations. To set up "charges and penalties to prevent this type of behavior" would be a further example of how rental practices are hurting DVC members causing additional limitaitons and detrimental modification to the current structure caused by those using thier purchase for the intended purpose of family vacations. The above is an example fo the problem the growth of renting could cause, it's not the solution.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:35 PM   #96
CaptainMidnight
Registered

Quote:
(btw, can you tell i just found the smilie's website? heh)
Where is it?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:36 PM   #97
CaptainMidnight
Registered

Quote:
Now I'm an elitist snob who doesn't want the unwashed masses at our precious resorts.
Yikes!!!
Old 03-28-2003, 04:43 PM   #98
JOC
DVC @ BWV
Ask not what the TF can do for you, ask what YOU can do for the TFs!
Can you come out and play?

Captain Midnight,
Here's a link to the smilie's site:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/sssss.html
Old 03-28-2003, 04:49 PM   #99
anniet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Yikes!!!
Yeah, I know! Boy is my Mom gonna be p!$$ed when she finds out she raised a snob!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 03-28-2003, 04:52 PM   #100
Johnnie Fedora
My cup is not 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, it's just 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
DVC was not intended for large rental use, it is intended as family vacation ownership.
I think the purpose of DVC was to make Disney Corp. lots and lots of money. It also provides a captive audience who will return and spend again. Rentees spend $$ and therefore Disney Corp. likes them. As the slogan says "If you believe in magic you belong"...what it really means is you (and your money) belong.

I'm sure DVD likes the exposure received through renting. DVD knows many former rentees have bought. I don't see renting as a large problem that hurts members.

What percentage of members have ever rented out points?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:58 PM   #101
KNWVIKING
Registered

WOW...

.... The Rumors and News board would be proud of us...we have a seven page thread running with no real end in sight.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #102
GAIL HAYDEN
DVC Member since '92

What percentage of members have ever rented out points? [/B][/QUOTE]

UT oh, I sense yet another poll coming.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:24 PM   #103
ncligs
Registered

Re: WOW...

Quote:
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
.... The Rumors and News board would be proud of us...we have a seven page thread running with no real end in sight.
[IMG]*******************************contrib/Bizkit/sweat.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #104
JOC
DVC @ BWV
Ask not what the TF can do for you, ask what YOU can do for the TFs!
Can you come out and play?

This thread is tame compared to the one going on over at the Resorts Board about someone's bad stay at the All Star Sports. The moderator deleted a couple of nasty posts from the thread but they're still trying to pick fights over there!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:08 PM   #105
Jen D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This thread is tame compared to the one going on over at the Resorts Board about someone's bad stay at the All Star Sports. The moderator deleted a couple of nasty posts from the thread but they're still trying to pick fights over there!
Running to check it out...

oooh! Fight! Fight!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: