DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 08:44 PM   #151
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

"An example of renters hurting us"

Is it not possible that a "guest" renting points to use may often be a DVC owner (one of "us") that needs more points?
Old 03-29-2003, 08:47 PM   #152
PamOKW
The two most important items for keeping warm are a hat and gloves
I just went into the twilight zone with this thread
Prefers original Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

Maybe some new posters to this board are not familiar with Webmaster Doc and the "above and beyond" that he does for DVC members who frequent these boards. He really goes out of his way to provide us with information ranging from early reconnaissance on resorts as they are being built to surveys of what room types are located where at the resorts. It also takes a lot to make him be anything but even-handed on this board.

So, please....let's call a truce on any personal attack on Doc. I think the first offense was just a misunderstanding....let's not compound that. Okay, big Disney/DVC hug everybody???
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2003, 08:51 PM   #153
KNWVIKING
Registered

PamOKW

Absolutely. This is a discussion,not an arguement. Besides, someday I may want to work for Doc. I'll take a free trip to Disney any way I can get one. Even if it is for just one Wednesday nite:-)
Old 03-29-2003, 08:56 PM   #154
KNWVIKING
Registered

PS:

And while it seems I've got the attention of a Mod: Whats up with the "1> " ???
Old 03-29-2003, 08:58 PM   #155
CaptainMidnight
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by PamOKW
Maybe some new posters to this board are not familiar with Webmaster Doc and the "above and beyond" that he does for DVC members who frequent these boards. He really goes out of his way to provide us with information ranging from early reconnaissance on resorts as they are being built to surveys of what room types are located where at the resorts. It also takes a lot to make him be anything but even-handed on this board.

So, please....let's call a truce on any personal attack on Doc. I think the first offense was just a misunderstanding....let's not compound that. Okay, big Disney/DVC hug everybody???
Agreed.

Last edited by CaptainMidnight; 03-29-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:01 PM   #156
KLR-wlv
DIS Veteran

I've never wanted to rent out points so much in my life! LOL...

Who out there is being "harmed" in their DVC membership?

I have made quite a few reservations in the past 2 years of being a member (at peak times too), and I have always gotten my times and resorts I've wanted sometimes at 4 months notice - sometime with the waitlist.

There is a 30 day mark for cancellations - more stringent than cash ressies - but less restrictive than other timeshares - I think Disney has reached a good compromise.

Like any system in the universe - there is probably a 7% abuse rate - do you really want to institute widespread rules and regulations to control a minority that is seen by some as abusing a system?

Trying to regulate "moral" behavior is never a good idea...

All those with their boxers in a bunch - Be careful what you wish for! I'm sure Disney could offer quite a few letigious answers to your so called problem that would make things much more of a pain in the ***...

This is about vacationing after all.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #157
KNWVIKING
Registered

KLR-wlv

I have no problem with renters or rentees. I don't want Disney to implement more gray rules. All I want is for people to realize that their actions affect others. Silly little things like: Not smoking in non-smoking units. Not leaving their trash in the hallways. Not letting their children run rampant. Not blasting music at all hours.
Or making reservations they don't intend to ever keep just so they can appease a renter,(let's rephrase:just so they don't lose the sale to a potential customer).

Last edited by KNWVIKING; 03-29-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:18 PM   #158
KLR-wlv
DIS Veteran

Right - so this is about regulating rude people - which unfortunately just will never work. I would love to find a place in the world to escape from selfish, rude behavior - but even disney isn't that utopia. So I guess I'm just under the impression that renters and rentees are the LEAST of those perceived evils - that owners who expect and demand special treatment because of their perceived RIGHT to what is no more than a hotel room actually do a lot more "harm" to members (demanding views that they aren't entitled to/ early room entry/ demands that take up more than their fair share of an employee's time, etc)than someone tying up a reservation for a week or two...ANd I doubt that we could even come to a consensus on what defines "rude" - let alone try and eliminate it from the DVC or any other arena of our lives for that matter...
Old 03-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #159
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I was once told that it was rude for a bunch of adults to make a PS for Cinderella's breakfast because the fact that we had booked a table would doubtless deprive some child of the chance to chow down with the crowned ones.

This problem is following similar logic. It seems that booking two rooms of different sizes for a renter, then cancelling one when the renter decides the size of the party, is rude because there is some member somewhere who was calling at exactly that moment in time for exactly the room that the renter is sitting on, and they won't get it because it's been booked by someone who won't use it. If this is rude, then booking two rooms, whether through CRO or DVC, for ANY reason with the intent to cancel one is rude. Or booking a room somewhere at rack rate with the intent to move somewhere else at a future discounted rate is rude, because someone might want that rack rate room and can't get it because you've got it booked up, and don't intend to use it.

I somehow have trouble believing that this happens enough to actually deprive anyone of rooms. I don't even find it terribly rude and can't see the harm as anything but negligible. But the only way to stop it would be for Disney (or any other hotel concern) to have a strict one reservation, one payment, fee for cancellation policy. I think I'd rather take the chances of having some people book multiple rooms than having no flexibility whatsoever.

PS: Yes, I'm a lawyer.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:34 PM   #160
colleen costello
Is in a "just back from OKW and why can't I live there all the time?" depression

1>

I have that "1>" too, and it seems to be interfering with my following this fascinating debate! Can someone tell us what this thing is? It appears near the top left of the screen when I try to jump to a new thread or sometimes when I hit "back."

PS: Doc, what is it with dentists? My dentists are two sisters -- I just adore them -- and once a year they take the whole staff on a Carnival cruise. I am always extremely jealous. I again assert I want to come work for you!
Old 03-29-2003, 09:38 PM   #161
ncligs
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by PamOKW
Old 03-29-2003, 09:46 PM   #162
KNWVIKING
Registered

I have got to set aside some time to waste and learn how to use these smiley face things.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:55 PM   #163
DVCPAT
DIS Veteran

One of the main advantages of DVC is reservation flexability. I think the system as a whole works great. A renter/friend is an invisable link that Disney really cannot differentiate if they wanted to. Disney does not want to greet guests with a series of questions upon check-in.

The DVC system may not be 100% perfect. Sometimes when you try to correct one problem, you create three new problems.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:05 PM   #164
JOC
DVC @ BWV
Ask not what the TF can do for you, ask what YOU can do for the TFs!
Can you come out and play?

Old 03-30-2003, 12:10 AM   #165
DBBN
OKW Since 1995, 1 Master, 8 Add-Ons, 2 Resale Contracts and Counting

The only other time I was personally attacked by so many people was in the third grade when I was the kid with the shortest haircut!

I started it all when I proposed making two reservations (different size villas) then canceling the one that wasn't needed. Knowing full well that one of them would absolutely be cancelled. Whether I make such a reservation for myself, family, friends or for a renter is immaterial as the end result is the same.

The first thing I do when we make a hole in our schedule to get away is make a reservation or reservations. If just the two of us travel it's easy we reserve a one bedroom. We always secure the accommodations first because they are often the hardest to get but always the easiest to cancel if you do it within the prescribed timeframe. If we intend to invite friends or family we make multiple reservations for the same time period, different size villas. We then invite friends and family and once we know who will join us we know what accommodations we'll need and cancel what is not needed. This might take a few days or even a few months. I refuse to demand our invitees provide an answer on short notice and I refuse to invite anyone when I can't guarantee accommodations. Hence the multiple reservations. If this makes me immoral, rude, inconsiderate or a myriad of other adjectives so be it. See the quote below, Richyams appears better suited to coming up with adjectives than I am.

Originally posted by Richyams
Quote:
And I think that reserving two rooms for a rentel that is only going to require one, is a thoughtless, self-absorbed, selfish, rotten thing to do to fellow members.
Never have I made multiple reservations with the intent of hurting anyone. Multiple reservations are made for the sole purpose of facilitating travel. If taking full advantage of the benefits of membership to treat friends and family or even rent some points makes me a bore. Then so be it. If any of the posters leveling a personal attack on me believes I'll plan the use of my points around what their future needs might be I won't and I don't expect you to plan around my needs.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Quote:
And like my previous thread stated, being on waitlist is no fun. It "hurts" me if I'm a nervouse wreck...
I agree this is exactly why I reduce my exposure to this situation. To wait for my guests to confirm their intent to travel with us could easily result in the accommodation being wait-listed. I envy those of you who have friends and family who don't mind responding to an invitation on short notice.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Quote:
DVC was not intended for large rental use, it is intended as family vacation ownership.
Are you sure? The maximum number of points any one individual may own at one resort is 2000 with a maximum of 5000 at all the resorts combined! That's one long vacation or one large family. For that matter in 1995 when we first purchased at OKW and indicated our intentions to own more than the 2000 point limit it was suggested that the contract list only one of our names. Currently my wife owns all our points. The points we buy after she owns 2000 will be in my name. Of course they were selling a product. Nonetheless they weren't concerned with we potentially owning and controlling 10,000 points.

Originally posted by nydizfan
Quote:
I agree with rich. Its not right to make two reservations and then wait to see which one you need.. It means , I am blocked out of that time slot. thats (expletive deleted) . we all should play by the rules. I quess some people feel INTITLED. Just the same way they should not follow the speed limit.. This (expletive deleted) just makes me crazy , but I guess thats the way it is today.. NOT IN MY WORLD.!!!!! All I have to say is .. Play by the Rules. and everyone( well almost everyone) will be somewhat happy??.......dave
Where do I start? I'm sure I won't be as eloquent as you are as my command of the English language is not as developed as yours.
First: When you own all the points it will be your world! Until then it's our world because I'm in it and I'm not leaving.
Second: Up until this post I saw a robust exchange of ideas that occasionally approached the line but never crossed it. You're over the line. Your language is...well...garbage.
Third: If I were a moderator I'd delete your post as patently offensive. To me and I believe to others who are not exposed to language more appropriate to men’s locker rooms.
Fourth: You are nonetheless correct when you say "I quess some people feel INTITLED" [sic]. I am entitled to make the reservations I need. Like it or not I'm absolutely within the rules. If you don't like it reserve the villa or villas before I do.

If some of the anger directed at me is due to a belief that I rent points for a living or as commercial enterprise you are flat out wrong. Here are some stats.
Number of points since 1995 that were deposited in to our DVC account for use. 4635
Number of dollars earned for points I rented. $0 (I do have one reservation pending)
Number of points rented. 0
We so thoroughly enjoy DVC that we'll soon be calling it home for several months every year and we are truly proud to call you neighbors. Well not all of you...just most of you.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: