Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

ďIíve got a very bad feeling about this.Ē - Jan 2015 PTR - Star Wars Rebel Challenge

Table of Contents

Who: Dis_Yoda & Mr. Dis_Yoda
When: January 14th, 2015 to January 19th, 2015
Where: Disneyland
Why: Star Wars Rebel Challenge

Pre-Trip
The Introductions
Hotel Booking
Run Information
Flights

Pre-Trip: Training Updates

January 14th, 2015

January 15th, 2015

January 16th, 2015

January 17th, 2015

January 18th, 2015

January 19th, 2015

Last edited by Dis_Yoda; 10-20-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

The Introductions

Star Wars Weekend @ WDW in May 2014

Dis_Yoda: 28 Year Old Quality Engineer - Grew Up Visiting WDW many times, Newish to this running thing, Enjoys Star Wars

Mr. Dis_Yoda: 30 Year Old Retail Manager - First trip to WDW was in 2006 & has learned to enjoy it as much as his wife does, Very into exercise & Star Wars

Reason for This Trip
Originally for our anniversary, we were planning on going to go to Las Vegas as I’ve never been as an adult & my husband has never been. Then something happened in early June that changed our vacation plans so that we would now cancel our anniversary trip & go somewhere else about a month earlier. This was the exchange when a certain race was announced:

So we agreed to both sign up for the Rebel Challenge (10K + Half Marathon) before we even run our first long distance race. Our first long distance race will be on October 4th, 2014 at WDW’s Tower of Terror 10 Miler that we are currently training for. We will start our official Rebel Challenge Training the week after the 10 Miler even though it probably will be the official training plan’s Week 4 or 5.

This will be my husband’s first trip to the Disneyland Resort. This will be my first extended trip to Disneyland. I have only been to Disneyland once in May 2012 in the midst of an interview trip that didn’t work out. I spent about 7 hours at Disneyland & felt I didn’t even get close to the amount of stuff done that I wanted to accomplish. I have not been to California Adventure.

Last edited by Dis_Yoda; 08-05-2014 at 06:11 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Hotel Bookings

From the research Iíve done, I know a lot of people tend to stay off site while at Disneyland as the costs are a lot less. I know we could have done that & saved some money, but Iím just used to being in the Disney bubble while at WDW trips. As DVC Members, we knew there would be no hope in trying to get a room booked a VGC as it is the smallest of the DVC resorts & didnít want to hold out hope on a waitlist coming through or not. I had enough stress dealing with the one night reservation waitlists for our September & October Food & Wine Festival trips at WDW!

The availability to book at Disneyland opened on July 30th for 2015.

Of those choices of prices, I ended up selecting:

There was over a $320 difference in savings from the Disneyland Hotel & over a $550 difference for Grand Californian Hotel when compared to the Paradise Pier Hotel. That amount of savings can go towards the airfare cost.

I know its a bit farther away from the parks & DTD than the other two but we should be fine to walk those distances.

I ended up selected the 4 Day Park Hoppers as I know its easy to switch between those two parks & Iím not sure which days will work better for Fantasmic or World of Color. That at least will give us an option to not be stuck to one park for the day. It was only a $78 difference overall for the park hopper & I feel that is worth it! Iím also not sure how much park weíll really want to do post Half Marathon.

Looking at the current availability for flights to Santa Ana, CA, we most likely will land at 10:30PM on Wednesday, the 14th. We probably will leave on Monday, the 19th, either around 8AM or Noon so we wonít be able to visit the parks on either of those days. I didnít want us to fly out the same day as the half marathon as I know that it isnít recommended, especially with us having at least 6 hours in the air.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
TheSpooph
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you're off to a great start! We did the DDD last Aug and had a blast. My favorite part was running the 10k through all the backlot stuff. It was awesome! I think I heard that the 10k course was changed for this year's 10k... Not really sure though.

As an engineer, you'll love it. I know I did!

Happy training!!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpooph View Post
Sounds like you're off to a great start! We did the DDD last Aug and had a blast. My favorite part was running the 10k through all the backlot stuff. It was awesome! I think I heard that the 10k course was changed for this year's 10k... Not really sure though.

As an engineer, you'll love it. I know I did!

Happy training!!
Thanks for reading along! I would love to be able to see the backstage areas!

Are you doing the DDD again this year?

I'll keep an eye out for the reports from the Disneyland Half Marathon once everyone gets back next weekend (and I get back from my vacation as well) and hope the people took pictures along the course.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Run Information

When this run was initially announced & we said we were going to go for it, I then had to worry about registration. We are DVC Members, WDW Annual Pass Holders & Disney Visa users. Luckily, they did have advance registration for DVC & AP Holders!

It was super stressful that day as I had a meeting at work at 11AM & I knew registration opened at 12:00PM EST. Luckily, the meeting didnít run long! I was back at my desk, waiting on the links to go live on the DVC Website at Noon. I got us both registered prior to it selling out in 9 Minutes for the advance registrations!

Reading over the thread for the race, I was super happy we had no issues as it seems there were some for some people. It also made me happy when registration officially opened the next week, I didnít have to deal with that madness or the madness that was general admission.

I have one long time friend who will be running the Half Marathon with us. Her children are running the 5k! Hopefully as we get closer to the trip, weíll figure out more of a meetup for us. She stays around a 13 min/mil which is where I hope to be at. I was almost there until I hurt my ankle during our July WDW trip & Iím now working on bringing my pace back up as it heals. This also will work out well if my husband gets annoyed at me & leaves me behind (which is perfectly ok)

Old 10-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Flights

Purchased Airfare Today as it was finally less than $900 for the two of us, which for flights from the east coast to west coast is very reasonable.

We are flying out on January 14th at 6:11PM from Fort Myers, FL & Arriving at Orange County @ 10:32PM. There is a 54 minute layover in Houston.

We are leaving on January 19th at 11:29AM from Orange County and arriving at Fort Myers @ 10:13PM. There is a 2.5 hour layover in Houston.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: