Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
disneygogetter
Mouseketeer

Question Dehydration and Standing Waiting for Rides and Characters

I am a bit worried about suffering from Dehydration while standing under the sun waiting to meet a character or while waiting for a ride. I don't want to faint. So what can I do? I was thinking of drinking water of course and using am umbrella perhaps?
disneygogetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
cmpeter
Mouseketeer

I just carry a water bottle with me all the time and make sure I drink before I get thirsty. I think there is plenty of shade around most of the ride areas too.

To stay cool, I like these little fans from Coleman...work surprisingly well and are small and light. I bought mine at Target for around $5.

http://www.coleman.com/product/cool-...0#.U8miIPldXKA

My teens like this bottle that is both a water bottle and a mister:
http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Mist-Hy.../dp/B002VEDG7M
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I agree that drinking a lot of water is your best bet. I would also recommend wearing a wide brimmed hat (instead of using an umbrella). After that, perhaps carrying a small battery fan might be helpful. I've read about cooling towels (Frogg Toggs, is the most common one I've heard of), so you might want to look into those). Regarding the umbrella, I would probably forgo that because it's another thing you have to carry and you'll have to be very careful not to poke/hit your fellow guests in line with the umbrella. Some lines would be fine, but others ones are on the tighter side, so an umbrella might be tough.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
danceanddisney2010
Mouseketeer

Just have water with you I have never once felt dehydrated or like I was going to faint while in line because of this! Just make sure you drink throughout the day... not just when you feel like you need something to drink.

danceanddisney2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Astylla
Disney Fanatic

Definitely drink water and fluids and use sunscreen often which I see so much of people forgetting as I see people lobster red by midday. Take midday breaks at the peak of the heat/ use pool time/take a nap. I also love taking in shows midday and using air conditioned options like Innoventions , using the train to catch a break as well all combined will make the standing in line much easier overall. I also recommend having a hat of some sort also as stated.
Astylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
SweetAlex
Mouseketeer

Water bottles are one of the only things we bring with us and we ALL wear hats, all day. When the sun pounds directly on my head, it doesn't take long to make me feel like falling over but a hat helps so much.

SweetAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Keels
Former Butterfly

Definitely sunscreen and big sunglasses or a wide-brimmed hat to ward away sunburn. But I always take mineral water spray with me as well. It feels so refreshing on my skin, especially my face. You can buy a two-pack of Evian spray bottles at Sephora!
Keels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
tarheelalum
Mouseketeer

The key to hydration is drinking a lot of water the day before activity. Also bring a hat.
tarheelalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
YukonMommy
Mouseketeer

My Mom's favorite trick was after a bathroom break to soak her hat in cold water and ring it out a bit. Then while standing in long lines a bit of water would drip down her and it would cool her off as it dried! We started doing this for my younger boys also and worked like a charm for cooling down. And as others have said drink, drink, drink!

Have a Magical Time!

Disneyland trips 1982, 1989, 2011, 2013,2014, planning March 2016
YukonMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #10
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelalum View Post
The key to hydration is drinking a lot of water the day before activity. Also bring a hat.
I was just about to post this, because that's what runners do the day before a race or long run. Going to the parks is an endurance sport too!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 AM   #11
Mouser172
Go beavs!

My grandfathers trick to keep dehydration at bay

Was to hydrate oneself by drinking water. You can get it at almost any store that sells products. Your hotel bathroom or kitchen might provide it for free. If you are driving to Disneyland from home, you can fill a vessel with it, then drink it out of that vessel at various times during the day. Sometimes when it rains, this water will puddle up at the lowest point in your vicinity. You can scoop up this water and bring it to your lips, swallow this water to bring it to your body's living cells, and hydrate them.
I kid I kid

Last edited by Mouser172; 07-19-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Mouser172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #12
KeKy4
Mouseketeer

Just remember to take your water bottle with you in line! Not an issue if you don't have a stroller but we kept leaving ours in there and wishing we had them!!
- Aug 2014 - Birthday trip!
Oct 2014 - Fall Break!
KeKy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #13
madasax12
Mouseketeer

For our trip in Sept. I plan on doing the following as many have stated above -

Make sure to keep on the water, I often have to "make" my kids drink even if I ask them if they want some water and say no. I just tell them that its important if they want to keep playing to drink even if they dont feel thirsty.

I think for our kids def. we will have some nice "bucket" style hats / and something similar for us if we feel the need.

I might pick up some of the frog-togs / cooling bandana type of deal just to have depending on the heat.

Sunscreen - It has been very sunny and warm where we live and I am always putting sunscreen on my kiddos when we are outside - The spray kind is just easy and they dont mind it so i always have a can in my camera bag / stroller ect.....we will be getting some from costco before we leave

Like many have said also........take the middle of the day to get in some pool time / naps / smoothies and A/C ect......I remember being a kid and we always did the mid-day naps, sure its going to be hard to make my kids come back middle of the day but the pool will be a nice break. We dont want to feel rushed when we are there, my wife's parents would always just go-go-go all day then leave the park and not go back in the evening. We are not going with that approach. This is one of the main reasons we chose the DLH for our trip also.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #14
bayoulife4me
Earning My Ears

Frequent rests, frequent water breaks, and slow down the walking pace. For a nice bonus, you can go and get some ice and water from restaurants as well as carrying your own water bottle.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #15
TulipsNZ
Mouseketeer

My kids like to wear their water bladders on their backs as hubby often takes them walking etc and that is easy for them, can they wear these in queues and on rides? With bottles we find we have to remind them but if we keep their water bladders full they just keep on sipping.

TulipsNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: