Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
jeni16
DIS Veteran

Frio Pack for Insulin/Tips for Type 2 Diabetes

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I got Gestational Diabetes 2 years ago when I was pregnant with my son & while it got better after he was born, it's reared it's ugly head again.

I currently have to control it with insulin before meals & at night. I use the pen style that doesn't have to be refrigerated after being open.

We'll be heading to the World the end of October & I've read several posts that mention the Frio Pack. I've been thinking about purchasing one. For those that have one, which one do you find to work for you the best? Or do you have something else that you like better? I'll only have one pen that I need to carry with me in the parks but will be traveling with 3 all together. While my insulin doesn't need to be kept refrigerated it's not suppose to get overly warm either so I think I'll carry the Frio Pack with me in the parks just to be on the safe side. We are staying in a 1-Bedroom so we will have a full fridge in the room.

Any other tips/suggestions for someone with Type 2? There isn't a whole lots of information available out there as far as Disney is concerned. I sure wish they would share their carb information. It's going to be hard to determine how much insulin to take at meal time without it. I plan on bringing extra strips so I can test often.

Thanks for your help!
Disney's Bay Lake Tower Villas (1 Bedroom Lake View) - October 2014
jeni16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

the Frio Pack. I've been thinking about purchasing one. For those that have one, which one do you find to work for you the best?
. . . before being cured of Type-2, I used the "single" pen unit
. . . works like a champ!
. . . even though the pen doesn't need refrig, it's nice to keep it cool

Any other tips/suggestions for someone with Type 2? There isn't a whole lots of information available out there as far as Disney is concerned.
. . . this is always a bummer at WDW
. . . all you can do is guess
. . . my best method was to make a fist, and assume each 1/2 was "X" carbs
. . . this then guided me in how many units to pump
. . . a little trial-and-error at home can get you to estimate quite well
TheRustyScupper is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

My DH uses a Frio exactly as you describe -- to keep his pens cool in the heat of summer even when refrigeration is not required for the product. I believe there is a maximum temp exposure recommended, and our concern has always been that carrying it around in summer (or FL on vacation) is likely to come close or exceed that max. The Frio does not actually make something colder but will help to maintain the temp it is when inserted into the Frio (cool or room temp).

You might want to get a Calorie King book (or I think there is also an app) to help determine carbs.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Insulin pens can generally be used for a month without refrigeration. They should be out of the direct sunlight and at "room temperature" (less then 86 F). You probably don't need a fancy case. People with a pump have a few days insulin without anything fancy to keep it cool. People who are either nervous or going during the heat of summer could just as well take a small cooler. Zip lock bag with ice is more then enough to keep it below 86. Could also bring a small ice pack. Makes it easy to also take a small snack or bottle of water.

POSSIBLE ISSUE. The heat and walking (exercise) might dramatically lower your need for insulin. Make sure you have glucose tabs, or whatever you use to treat low blood sugar. Regular (sugar) soda is widely available and will work if you don't have anything else.

POSSIBLE ISSUE. You might not have any idea how many carbs you're consuming, particularly if you join your family with snacks. Your blood sugars could run high.

ANSWER test more often and be prepared to treat lows with sugar and highs with extra insulin.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
jeni16
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I've got an overnight stay & a plane ride before I arrive at Disney so I was thinking the Frio would be nice for that as well. I will probably go through a whole pen while I'm there so I guess it would be okay to keep it un-refrigerated. I would just rather be safe than sorry. I also plan on asking my doctor for a prescription for more strips so that I can test often.
Disney's Bay Lake Tower Villas (1 Bedroom Lake View) - October 2014
jeni16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Pooh bear 39
Earning My Ears

As for tips, stay hydrated and carry hard candy (NOT sugar-free) in case your blood sugar drops and you are coherent. If your blood sugar drops, carry sugar packets that a family member or friend can sprinkle on your tongue to get your blood sugar up if your not coherent.I don't know how long you have been using insulin or whether you used it with gestational, but as a nurse I know heat and being dehydrated, can wreck havoc with blood sugars. And having a diabetic doggie, I had to carry molasses to rub on his gums if his blood sugar fell. I had a bottle stashed EVERYWHERE he was going to be.
Pooh bear 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh bear 39 View Post
As for tips, stay hydrated and carry hard candy (NOT sugar-free) in case your blood sugar drops and you are coherent. If your blood sugar drops, carry sugar packets that a family member or friend can sprinkle on your tongue to get your blood sugar up if your not coherent.I don't know how long you have been using insulin or whether you used it with gestational, but as a nurse I know heat and being dehydrated, can wreck havoc with blood sugars. And having a diabetic doggie, I had to carry molasses to rub on his gums if his blood sugar fell. I had a bottle stashed EVERYWHERE he was going to be.
Thanks for this suggestion. I will need to run to Walmart before my trip (leaving next week ) to get some glucose gel that someone can place on my gums if I become incoherent. Being susceptible to severe lows might also give me a reason to buy some sugary candy while at Disney.

As for the OP's question, I will also be using the frio wallet for my trip down. I think I got the large one, and, judging from the size of my vials, I might be able to squeeze in three Humalog vials (for insulin pump), 1 Lantus pen, and 1 Humalog pen (for pump failure). Primarily, I am using the wallet for traveling to and from Disney. I am planning on keeping the Humalog vial I am currently working on in my purse and remember to not stay out in the heat or direct sunlight for too long. If my BG starts climbing up and I develop ketones because of the insulin spoiling, I will have at least two other Humalog vials for backup before I need to result to MDI.
acebatonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

I don't use insulin, but I'm older and don't have the stamina or tolerance for heat that I did years ago. I've been on two trips to WDW now since I was diagnosed, both at the height of summer. I made ADRs for lunch and dinner each day to be sure I would have somewhere to relax and re-energize out of the heat. I carried my own refillable water bottle and made to sure to drink plenty of water, before feeling thirsty. I made sure to eat something every three hours or so to keep my blood glucose as level as possible, just like at home. I carry glucose tablets for emergencies, but I prefer food. I also avoid no-sugar-added/sugar-substitute foods as they often have just as many carbs and maybe more fat and calories, don't taste as good, and may have sugar alcohols which can have an undesired effect.

I carry the same fanny pack I bought years ago for when we brought the kids. I wear it in the front, on the side, or slung over my shoulder. My meter and supplies fit in there just fine.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: