Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #46
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran
 
SteveMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Because there isn't a separate line for the handicapped accessible stall. There is one line. When you get to the front of that line, if you need the handicapped stall you wait the extra few minutes until it's current occupant leaves.
Unless, of course, there is another person needing the stall, which means the wait is longer.
SteveMouse is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #47
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Disney Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.
Please understand my daughter has autism and I use the handicapped stall with her as we don't fit in the regular. When she was young and had young siblings I would have come out of the stall with two little girls and we would look like we were with out any disability. I too wait a long time for the handicapped stall. I do understand.
__________________
2003 - CR
2004 - Disneyland/CR/Shades of Green
2005 - DoubleTree WDW/ POP/ Shades of Green
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #48
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMouse View Post
Unless, of course, there is another person needing the stall, which means the wait is longer.
But if there is someone ahead of you that also needs the stall, then technically you aren't at the front of the line.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is online now  
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #49
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran
 
SteveMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
But if there is someone ahead of you that also needs the stall, then technically you aren't at the front of the line.
According to some, there should only be one line. So can I limit someone else going to an accessible stall until the one I need opens up? After all, I did wait my turn. Now if they had a sufficient number of accessible stalls.....

It's the same problem as for many rides. People needing the accessible vehicle (stall) have to wait an additional time- that's neither fair nor equal.
SteveMouse is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #50
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMouse View Post
According to some, there should only be one line. So can I limit someone else going to an accessible stall until the one I need opens up? After all, I did wait my turn. Now if they had a sufficient number of accessible stalls..... It's the same problem as for many rides. People needing the accessible vehicle (stall) have to wait an additional time- that's neither fair nor equal.
Aren't ride vehicles limited for emergency and safety purposes?
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #51
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Aren't ride vehicles limited for emergency and safety purposes?
That was my understanding. Safety trumps all. Like why a person who does not meet height requirements can't go on rides regardless of age etc
Gracie09 is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #52
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran
 
SteveMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 606

A PP posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Because there isn't a separate line for the handicapped accessible stall. There is one line. When you get to the front of that line, if you need the handicapped stall you wait the extra few minutes until it's current occupant leaves.
My point is that in reality, for those people needing the accessible stall, there isn't one line, there's two. As the PP suggests, one waits in a single line to get to the "front" and another, once one gets to the "front" for the stall they need at an additional wait time, if they need the accessible car. It's very similar to, say, the wait for the accessible car on BLSRS or other rides after one has waited in the regular or FP queue, gotten to the front, and then having an additional wait for the accessible car.

It's an extra wait. I'm not suggesting there aren't some rational reasons for it, but it's there nonetheless, and it means at the end of the day it really isn't equal or fair access.
SteveMouse is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #53
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMouse View Post
A PP posted My point is that in reality, for those people needing the accessible stall, there isn't one line, there's two. As the PP suggests, one waits in a single line to get to the "front" and another, once one gets to the "front" for the stall they need at an additional wait time, if they need the accessible car. It's very similar to, say, the wait for the accessible car on BLSRS or other rides after one has waited in the regular or FP queue, gotten to the front, and then having an additional wait for the accessible car. It's an extra wait. I'm not suggesting there aren't some rational reasons for it, but it's there nonetheless, and it means at the end of the day it really isn't equal or fair access.
Where did I ever talk about it being fair? I was just stating how it works for the OP.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is online now  
Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #54
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMouse View Post
A PP posted My point is that in reality, for those people needing the accessible stall, there isn't one line, there's two. As the PP suggests, one waits in a single line to get to the "front" and another, once one gets to the "front" for the stall they need at an additional wait time, if they need the accessible car. It's very similar to, say, the wait for the accessible car on BLSRS or other rides after one has waited in the regular or FP queue, gotten to the front, and then having an additional wait for the accessible car. It's an extra wait. I'm not suggesting there aren't some rational reasons for it, but it's there nonetheless, and it means at the end of the day it really isn't equal or fair access.
If they can't have additional handicap persons on the ride at once, I don't really see what the alternative is.

Similarly, if every stall was handicap accessible, there would be less stalls overall. In the end, it wouldn't help with the wait.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #55
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,195

There is kind of a double standard, though, isn't there?

You can't tell who really needs accommodations on attractions and in lines, and you can't tell who really needs accommodations in bathrooms.

However, the general public is so OBSESSED with people with disabilities receiving accommodations they don't believe they really need, that our lives are made miserable by constantly having to justify ourselves, having needed accommodations taken away to appease the angry, vocal able-bodied, being publicly shamed and vilified every time we ask for something that makes us able to do what others do and take for granted, and being grilled by employees about whether we really need the accommodation (and often lied to about whether the accommodation is possible).

Yet the same general public has absolutely no problem with abuse of handicapped bathroom access by those who don't need it. (NB - notice that I said above that you can't tell by looking who does or doesn't need it, but A. statistically you know that not everybody who takes the stalls needs them, and B. when people discuss using the stalls they don't feel any need to justify themselves and feel that nobody should ask them to, even though PWD have to justify themselves ALL THE TIME for accommodations.) There are constant threads on the DIS and other boards about how people ought to have to show papers or doctors' notes to use a wheelchair or an alternate entrance, yet nobody ever suggests the same thing for bathrooms.

The general consensus of the public seems to be that PWD are doing something wrong by making able-bodied people wait even a few seconds to get on a bus or a ride, but that able-bodied people are doing nothing wrong by making PWD wait for much, much longer times to use the only bathroom stall they're able to use.

Let me just repeat for the record that if you're using a handicapped stall because you actually have a physical need for it that can't possibly be accommodated iin any other way, I am not talking about you.
ttintagel is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #56
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
There is kind of a double standard, though, isn't there?

You can't tell who really needs accommodations on attractions and in lines, and you can't tell who really needs accommodations in bathrooms.

However, the general public is so OBSESSED with people with disabilities receiving accommodations they don't believe they really need, that our lives are made miserable by constantly having to justify ourselves, having needed accommodations taken away to appease the angry, vocal able-bodied, being publicly shamed and vilified every time we ask for something that makes us able to do what others do and take for granted, and being grilled by employees about whether we really need the accommodation (and often lied to about whether the accommodation is possible).

Yet the same general public has absolutely no problem with abuse of handicapped bathroom access by those who don't need it. (NB - notice that I said above that you can't tell by looking who does or doesn't need it, but A. statistically you know that not everybody who takes the stalls needs them, and B. when people discuss using the stalls they don't feel any need to justify themselves and feel that nobody should ask them to, even though PWD have to justify themselves ALL THE TIME for accommodations.) There are constant threads on the DIS and other boards about how people ought to have to show papers or doctors' notes to use a wheelchair or an alternate entrance, yet nobody ever suggests the same thing for bathrooms.

The general consensus of the public seems to be that PWD are doing something wrong by making able-bodied people wait even a few seconds to get on a bus or a ride, but that able-bodied people are doing nothing wrong by making PWD wait for much, much longer times to use the only bathroom stall they're able to use.

Let me just repeat for the record that if you're using a handicapped stall because you actually have a physical need for it that can't possibly be accommodated iin any other way, I am not talking about you.
Sorry, but accessible stalls are not just for use by the disabled. It would be ridiculous to leave them sitting empty while people are lined up to use the restroom.

Of course it's common courtesy that before the non-disabled use the stall, they should check behind them to see if anyone with physical problems is in the line, and if so, the stall should be offered, IMO. But otherwise, there is no reason for the stall to sit empty.
OurBigTrip is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #57
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
......

However, the general public is so OBSESSED with people with disabilities receiving accommodations they don't believe they really need, that our lives are made miserable by constantly having to justify ourselves, having needed accommodations taken away to appease the angry, vocal able-bodied, being publicly shamed and vilified every time we ask for something that makes us able to do what others do and take for granted, and being grilled by employees about whether we really need the accommodation (and often lied to about whether the accommodation is possible).

Yet the same general public has absolutely no problem with abuse of handicapped bathroom access by those who don't need it. (NB - notice that I said above that you can't tell by looking who does or doesn't need it, but A. statistically you know that not everybody who takes the stalls needs them, and B. when people discuss using the stalls they don't feel any need to justify themselves and feel that nobody should ask them to, even though PWD have to justify themselves ALL THE TIME for accommodations.) There are constant threads on the DIS and other boards about how people ought to have to show papers or doctors' notes to use a wheelchair or an alternate entrance, yet nobody ever suggests the same thing for bathrooms.

The general consensus of the public seems to be that PWD are doing something wrong by making able-bodied people wait even a few seconds to get on a bus or a ride, but that able-bodied people are doing nothing wrong by making PWD wait for much, much longer times to use the only bathroom stall they're able to use.

Let me just repeat for the record that if you're using a handicapped stall because you actually have a physical need for it that can't possibly be accommodated iin any other way, I am not talking about you.
I'm sorry that you seem to have such a chip on your shoulders. I can assure you that as a member of the general public, I don't spend any time obsessing as to whether or not disabled people are getting special accommodations.

You are mistaken about handicapped stalls being for handicapped people only. I agree, that is ridiculous; should they go unused 99.9% of the time?
lost*in*cyberspace is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #58
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
I'm sorry that you seem to have such a chip on your shoulders. I can assure you that as a member of the general public, I don't spend any time obsessing as to whether or not disabled people are getting special accommodations.

You are mistaken about handicapped stalls being for handicapped people only. I agree, that is ridiculous; should they go unused 99.9% of the time?
I agree with all of the above.

There is no such thing as abuse of handicapped bathrooms. They are not by law to be left open for certain guests. Anyone is free to use them.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #59
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran
 
SteveMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
If they can't have additional handicap persons on the ride at once, I don't really see what the alternative is. Similarly, if every stall was handicap accessible, there would be less stalls overall. In the end, it wouldn't help with the wait.
It sure would if there we're say 10 people in line and 3 needed accessible stalls.

It would make the wait equal for all. And that would be fair.

Last edited by SteveMouse; 07-01-2014 at 05:47 PM.
SteveMouse is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #60
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984
 
JenniBugInPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bristol, TN
Posts: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
There is kind of a double standard, though, isn't there?

You can't tell who really needs accommodations on attractions and in lines, and you can't tell who really needs accommodations in bathrooms.

However, the general public is so OBSESSED with people with disabilities receiving accommodations they don't believe they really need, that our lives are made miserable by constantly having to justify ourselves, having needed accommodations taken away to appease the angry, vocal able-bodied, being publicly shamed and vilified every time we ask for something that makes us able to do what others do and take for granted, and being grilled by employees about whether we really need the accommodation (and often lied to about whether the accommodation is possible).

Yet the same general public has absolutely no problem with abuse of handicapped bathroom access by those who don't need it. (NB - notice that I said above that you can't tell by looking who does or doesn't need it, but A. statistically you know that not everybody who takes the stalls needs them, and B. when people discuss using the stalls they don't feel any need to justify themselves and feel that nobody should ask them to, even though PWD have to justify themselves ALL THE TIME for accommodations.) There are constant threads on the DIS and other boards about how people ought to have to show papers or doctors' notes to use a wheelchair or an alternate entrance, yet nobody ever suggests the same thing for bathrooms.

The general consensus of the public seems to be that PWD are doing something wrong by making able-bodied people wait even a few seconds to get on a bus or a ride, but that able-bodied people are doing nothing wrong by making PWD wait for much, much longer times to use the only bathroom stall they're able to use.

Let me just repeat for the record that if you're using a handicapped stall because you actually have a physical need for it that can't possibly be accommodated iin any other way, I am not talking about you.
Excellent post, absolutely excellent. By the way, I looked very closely, and you have no chip anywhere.
__________________
JenniBug in Pink
I have an immunodeficiency disorder, and Sjogren's Syndrome w/ rheumatoid arthritis pain, anemia, and Stage III/IV kidney failure.
I look perfectly healthy, but I MUST use a scooter/ECV. I won't run into you unless you complain about it.


JenniBugInPink is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: