Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #31
Unas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post
This one I tend to disagree. I travel most trips alone with my 30 year old DS. I can not take him into a ladies room and he can not go into a men's room alone. My ONLY option is the companion bathrooms. There are not many of them so when he says he has to go, we are hoofing it to the nearest one. Often times we are waiting for a single person (who probably could have used the handicapped stall) or a Mom with a couple kids. You can usually tell who didn't need it because they become quite embarrassed when they come out and see my son waiting. My point is that we have no options but those handful of the companion bathrooms (they are not family bathrooms, the sign is obvious) through the parks where as every bathroom has handicapped stalls.
Yep, some folks who are fully independent and not disabled are much better served by using either a companion or family bathroom. These facilities provide a better option for dealing with a leg bag than a stall (whether or not it's accessible). I understand that companion or family bathrooms are even more of an asset for those with an ostomy.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #32
Gilrond
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="opusone;51746779"]Common courtesy folks. ........

Courtesy is the key for us all.

If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason).

If there is a line and you are at the front (and not in a desperate way), and the handicap stall opens up, a simple "does anyone specifically need the handicap stall?" is a nice and appropriate gesture since it could be a while before it frees-up again.

I think this is a great idea.

On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside......QUOTE]

I use an ECV which i fortunately can park outside restroom and enter with cane. I hadn't realized about the couple of stalls with grab bars that could be identified by the wider doors. That works for me and I would be able leave the w/c accessible ones to those who need them.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #33
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unas View Post
Yep, some folks who are fully independent and not disabled are much better served by using either a companion or family bathroom. These facilities provide a better option for dealing with a leg bag than a stall (whether or not it's accessible). I understand that companion or family bathrooms are even more of an asset for those with an ostomy.
I completely agree that the design/containment of companion bath is the best option in this situation and it was intended for their use. For many it is the option they must use but sadly the few of them continue to be tied up by those it was not intended for. Disney provides Companion Bathrooms not Family. I had to take my son to a Family Bathroom yesterday at the movies, even he was well aware of the difference (and he is cognitively disabled) so I don't know how someone doesn't read the sign and go inside and still think it's a family room.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #34
Bete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by opusone View Post
Common courtesy folks. It's unfortunate that we are discussing laws and definitions of companion/family/handicap-accessible/wide-but-not-wide-enough stalls/etc. If there is a line in the bathroom, everyone should hurry themselves and/or their kids in the stall (regardless of type of stall) to reduce the wait for all others. If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason). If there is a line and you are at the front (and not in a desperate way), and the handicap stall opens up, a simple "does anyone specifically need the handicap stall?" is a nice and appropriate gesture since it could be a while before it frees-up again. On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside - I think everyone should always hurry through these for that very reason).
I agree.

I had to help my mom who was in a wheelchair and I tried to use some common sense; so, it wouldn't be an urgent need to get into a companion or wheelchair accessible bathroom. We were on a schedule of sorts. For example, we would go to the bathroom before a long wait in a ride line. Sometimes, we needed to do so after the ride, too. Before and/or after a meal was a good time, too. If we were drinking more than regular like with hotter weather then we would make sure to hit the restroom about every two hours. All of these techniques helped us not to have an urgency to go and allowed us to wait in a restroom line easier. If we knew we would be in one spot for a while like waiting to see a parade or fireworks then we made sure we were done with the restroom first. This system worked for us 90% of the time. It does require more visits to the restroom, but it works. For the other 10% of the time read on.

I know some may not agree, but I believe wearing a diaper and/or pad at Disney is a good precaution because of the long waits for a handicap bathroom even if this is not what you do at home. No one gets a devoted bathroom at Disney and you can only expect that at your own home.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

I probably shouldn't let my little bathroom secret out but my girls both in wheelchairs and unable to stand or walk use the bathrooms at the restaurants in the parks because they are always empty.

I could write a book on ignorant people in the bathroom. Once my oldest daughter was told to get her lazy a## out of her chair and use a regular stall. When she told the woman she was paralyzed and unable to stand the woman told her that was impossible.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #36
Unas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I completely agree that the design/containment of companion bath is the best option in this situation and it was intended for their use. For many it is the option they must use but sadly the few of them continue to be tied up by those it was not intended for. Disney provides Companion Bathrooms not Family. I had to take my son to a Family Bathroom yesterday at the movies, even he was well aware of the difference (and he is cognitively disabled) so I don't know how someone doesn't read the sign and go inside and still think it's a family room.
I wasn't advocating that TABs not use the companion/family places. Reasonable management allows flexibility and ability to wait, if needed. Sometimes travel companions without issues face urgency and use the most immediately available location regardless of the design. When they gotta go . . .
Old 06-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #37
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalPrincess View Post
I absolutely agree! The ADA requires equal accommodations, not better. The handicapped stall is not reserved for those only in wheelchairs.
Everyone needs to wait in line for their fair turn.
Yeah, you know how we 'disabled' and 'handicapped' folks get so many special privileges. We've really got to start waiting our turn. Did you read the rest of this thread? I'll let you know when things get anywhere near equal for any of us. For most of us (or the parents of "us"), things are really hard and involve quite a struggle and a bunch of pain to accomplish much of anything. This attitude that you have expressed more than once in more than one thread that we're somehow taking things away from the 'regular' folk is, well, repugnant. I'm sorry to sound so rude in return, but when I hear this sentiment repeatedly, it gets to me after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opusone View Post
Common courtesy folks. It's unfortunate that we are discussing laws and definitions of companion/family/handicap-accessible/wide-but-not-wide-enough stalls/etc. If there is a line in the bathroom, everyone should hurry themselves and/or their kids in the stall (regardless of type of stall) to reduce the wait for all others. If several stalls are open, only use the handicap-accessible stall if you need it (disability, kids that need assistance, any other valid reason).

If there is a line and you are at the front (and not in a desperate way), and the handicap stall opens up, a simple "does anyone specifically need the handicap stall?" is a nice and appropriate gesture since it could be a while before it frees-up again.

On the flip side, give people the benefit of the doubt with their use of specific stalls/bathrooms... don't judge anyone and their needs/motivations/speed if you don't know them. Also, unless you were there when they entered, please realize that there may not have been a line when they arrived, so they may not know folks are waiting (especially in the separate family bathrooms where you cannot see/hear outside - I think everyone should always hurry through these for that very reason).
Unfortunately, I have seen very little in the way of common courtesy at WDW from other guests. They are few and very special. What I've experienced has been a LOT of what we describe around here as "stupid redneck" behavior, with the 'lazy _itch', 'fat cow', kind of comments (and I'm not all that big). People just hate scooters, and that's all they see. Once I'm in the restroom (I park outside), I look perfectly normal, so the fact that one ankle won't work and one knee barely bends is completely invisible. I use the regular stalls anyway. I guess my point is - a population that will make comments like those above is not one that will care about the lady or young man who needs special bathroom arrangements, regardless if it's as little as a grab bar or as big as the companion restroom.

Quote:
I'd bet you that if you asked 90% of the families using the companion bathrooms at WDW, they would have NO IDEA what is meant by "Companion" bathroom. They just think it's a funny way to label a family bathroom. I'll bet many don't even know it's a companion bathroom. They just know it's the 'big room' bathroom and that's where their interest and inquiry stopped. They wanted to find a 'big room' bathroom, they found it, they used it, end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
I probably shouldn't let my little bathroom secret out but my girls both in wheelchairs and unable to stand or walk use the bathrooms at the restaurants in the parks because they are always empty.

I could write a book on ignorant people in the bathroom. Once my oldest daughter was told to get her lazy a## out of her chair and use a regular stall. When she told the woman she was paralyzed and unable to stand the woman told her that was impossible.
See? People are incredibly stupid, and jerks. And maybe we should all get together and write a book. I have a book from back when I used to work as a floor nurse that has hilarious stories and little funnies in it about things that happened to the nurse that wrote it and her friends. We could write 'Ignorant Things Able-Bodied People Say and Do to those who Aren't".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unas View Post
I wasn't advocating that TABs not use the companion/family places. Reasonable management allows flexibility and ability to wait, if needed. Sometimes travel companions without issues face urgency and use the most immediately available location regardless of the design. When they gotta go . . .
I'm usually good with acronyms, but this one got me. I know I'll feel stupid when you tell me, but what's a TAB?
Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #38
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post

I've genuinely never seen this type of behavior from a park goer to someone disabled, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that if I had heard this comment made towards your daughter that woman would have been on her back. And it takes a lot to get me that ruffled.

I really hope your daughter was able to brush it off and enjoy the rest of her trip and honestly, I commend her for saying something in return versus completely breaking down. That's amazing in and of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniBugInPink View Post

Unfortunately, I have seen very little in the way of common courtesy at WDW from other guests. They are few and very special. What I've experienced has been a LOT of what we describe around here as "stupid redneck" behavior, with the 'lazy _itch', 'fat cow', kind of comments (and I'm not all that big). People just hate scooters, and that's all they see. Once I'm in the restroom (I park outside), I look perfectly normal, so the fact that one ankle won't work and one knee barely bends is completely invisible. I use the regular stalls anyway. I guess my point is - a population that will make comments like those above is not one that will care about the lady or young man who needs special bathroom arrangements, regardless if it's as little as a grab bar or as big as the companion restroom.
As I stated before, I've never seen this kind of behavior or heard these kinds of comments. I believe that they do, and it's pretty shocking. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It's completely unacceptable.

I've seen them happen on message boards and things, but not in person. I do genuinely feel that there are more pleasant, good natured, and caring folk in Disney than not though.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #39
paisleys
Earning My Ears

Most people are nice, but in the past few years, we have sometimes been treated very rudely by entitled families - for example, as we waited in line for the Companion Restroom, I have been told, 'this is for families. You people have stalls in all the restrooms. Go use one of those.'
We have had people bang on the door (not just knock), and someone once called Security to tell us to get out because they needed the changing table. I had told the people the first time they knocked that I was in there with a disabled person and would be about 15 minutes. After talking to me through the door, the Security CM asked if they knew I was in there with a disabled person; they said they did, but felt I was 'taking too long' and they needed to use that restroom to use the changing table. The CM explained there are changing tables in every restroom, but the people said they needed that one. What was really funny was that Companion Restroom did not have a changing table

It makes me sick that someone harassed you like that. Calling security because they felt they needed that particular bathroom changing table??? And after all of that trouble, no changing table. Jerks.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #40
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

I don't need an accessible stall, but I won't hesitate to use one if that's what opens up when I'm next in line. I do try my best to be aware of anyone behind me with a mobility device, and if I know there is someone, I'll ask them if they would like to move ahead, but if not, I won't let it sit empty while I wait for a non-accessible stall.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #41
Unas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniBugInPink View Post

I'm usually good with acronyms, but this one got me. I know I'll feel stupid when you tell me, but what's a TAB?
Temporarily Able Bodied.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #42
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
I don't need an accessible stall, but I won't hesitate to use one if that's what opens up when I'm next in line. I do try my best to be aware of anyone behind me with a mobility device, and if I know there is someone, I'll ask them if they would like to move ahead, but if not, I won't let it sit empty while I wait for a non-accessible stall.
That is what most people probably do.
No one is suggesting leaving a stall empty if there is a line (at least on this thread)

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 07-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #43
pampam
DIS Veteran

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would a person wait in a long line, working their way up, and then wait again for the handicap stall? Why not just go to the handicap stall and wait there rather than waiting twice, if you know it is the only stall you will be able to use? I hope I don't sound rude, but this is a serious question.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #44
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but why would a person wait in a long line, working their way up, and then wait again for the handicap stall? Why not just go to the handicap stall and wait there rather than waiting twice, if you know it is the only stall you will be able to use? I hope I don't sound rude, but this is a serious question.
Because there isn't a separate line for the handicapped accessible stall. There is one line. When you get to the front of that line, if you need the handicapped stall you wait the extra few minutes until it's current occupant leaves.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #45
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
because one it ls cutting the line, period. and 2 you have NO idea if anyone else in the line ALSO needs a Handicapped stall. they do not have a line for Handicapped only and a different line for everyone else.

for instance, I am semi ambulatory.. I am in my chair in the parks but I can( and usually do) get out of it to stand in line for the loo. but like others I really DO need those grab bars to get upright after I have down my thing, otherwise I can literally get stuck and NOT be able to stand up at all, or can take many extra minutes to manage it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: