Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
krisann22
Earning My Ears

question on handicap bathroom stall etiquette

I have a question. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I will be using a wheelchair around the parks at times, other times my daughter with Down syndrome will be using it. I also have a cane that I use once in a while. Thing is I don't look handicap but my knees and hips are bad with the RA and makes standing, walking, bending very hard. I need to use the bathroom stalls with the bars to ease in getting down and up. If there is a long line at the bathroom and I just need the handicap one, do I just go to the front of the line or stand in front of the handicap stall and wait? How does handicap bathroom etiquette work?

TIA Kris
Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

You wait in line. If you are using your wheelchair and get close to the front someone may tell you to go ahead if the handicap stall opens up. The stall is not for exclusive use of those who are disabled but anyone may use it when it is open
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
You wait in line. If you are using your wheelchair and get close to the front someone may tell you to go ahead if the handicap stall opens up. The stall is not for exclusive use of those who are disabled but anyone may use it when it is open
Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anotherhere. I always used it with my 2 kids because all 3of us wouldn't fit in a typical stall and I didn't want to leave one out by themselves. I just let people go ahead of me when I got to the front of the line until it opened. Another thought is the family bathrooms outside, they have the bars too I believe.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
You wait in line . . . The stall is not for exclusive use of those who are disabled but anyone may use it when it is open

1) Besides, who is to say those waiting do not have a handicap?
2) Not all handicaps are visible.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Everyone pretty much spelled out HA stall etiquette as I have also experienced it. When you enter a theme park, you can get a Park Brochure for the Disabled. It shows which restrooms also have a separate family restroom. The family restroom may help you, with your child, to have space and privacy. I think I remember last time at MK, I had to go to City Hall (inside entrance, to the left) to get the "Disabled" brochure.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Besides, who is to say those waiting do not have a handicap?
2) Not all handicaps are visible.
This is also key. I really do not look like I need a handicap stall. I'm 32, in okay shape (not great), and look younger then I am (according to many people). But quite often I need the grab bars to help me up and down due to a knee injury and back problems. I also have a bladder condition that can cause pain and urgency.

I wait in line like everyone else. I also don't expect people to let me go ahead just because of my needs. That is me personally though.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisann22 View Post
I have a question. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I will be using a wheelchair around the parks at times, other times my daughter with Down syndrome will be using it. I also have a cane that I use once in a while. Thing is I don't look handicap but my knees and hips are bad with the RA and makes standing, walking, bending very hard. I need to use the bathroom stalls with the bars to ease in getting down and up. If there is a long line at the bathroom and I just need the handicap one, do I just go to the front of the line or stand in front of the handicap stall and wait? How does handicap bathroom etiquette work?

TIA Kris
skipping ahead is VERY Bad form. if you are in your Chair, you get in line like everyone else and IF the next stall open is the Handicapped one is and IF the next person in line offers to let you go in front, great, wonderful, Pixie dust. thank them profusely and pay it forward some other way later on.

if you are walking/ with your cane, you stand in line and if the next stall open when it is your turn is not a handicapped one, then you politely offer it to the person behind you, mentioning that you need the grab bars( I do too)

the other option is to use the companion/family restrooms although the wait to get ion them can be just as bad.

you do not get to skip the line just b/c you are handicapped.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
Anotherhere. I always used it with my 2 kids because all 3of us wouldn't fit in a typical stall and I didn't want to leave one out by themselves. I just let people go ahead of me when I got to the front of the line until it opened. Another thought is the family bathrooms outside, they have the bars too I believe.
My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. .
you do realize that it may NOT be their fault, right? lots of places place the diaper changing station INSIDE the HA stall. or there may not be a nearby companion/family restroom( and like I said the line of strollers to get in there can be just as long if not longer than a 'regular' line.)

as was stated before ANYONE is allowed to use ALL available stalls. to let a Handicapped stall sit empty until a WC user shows up to use it is just making the line that much longer for everyone else, and I would sure as hell rather one of them being used up by a woman with 2 or 3 small children where she can keep an eye on them( and out of trouble) than have her take up 2 or 3 stalls and then take twice as long as she tries to get everyone cleaned up
Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
My son uses a wheelchair and it is people like you who take up the handicapped stall that really get me mad at times. when I get to the front of the line with the wheelchair, and let endless people go ahead of me because I am waiting for the handicapped stall ..... a wheelchair does not fit in a regular stall ..... and loudly say I am waiting for the handicapped stall, and nobody moves out of the handicapped stall for 10 minutes or more, I get really frustrated. I get even more angry when the family finally comes out of the handicapped stall and sees my son and I waiting and doesn't even say that they are sorry for taking so long. So please be considerate of how much time you are taking with your children in the handicapped stall and if you see wheels outside of the door or hear somebody talking about the need to use the handicapped stall, please put on a little speed. There are times when we were desperate and I had to park the wheelchair outside of a regular stall, lift my son out of his wheelchair (he weighs 109 lbs.) and carry him into the regular stall because somebody had all their kids in a handicapped stall and we could not wait any longer.
People like you? You don't know anything about the poster or how long they spend in a bathroom stall. They have a need for that stall too. Just because it is different from your needs doesn't make them wrong to use it.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I take a long time I need the handicap stall I don't have wheels when I am in line waiting not who "people like you "are but no one has a right to judge anyone you don't know their story

Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
Disney does not have family bathrooms. They have companion bathrooms, which are set up more for people with wheelchairs than they are for families. The toilet is higher up off of the ground, which would make it hard for little ones to use.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, really? My kids are autistic and can't be left alone. We all go in the handicapped stall together. You probably would see us & include us in that "you people." Why should anyone have to apologize to you for using the restroom?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Disney does not have family bathrooms. They have companion bathrooms, which are set up more for people with wheelchairs than they are for families. The toilet is higher up off of the ground, which would make it hard for little ones to use.

And there are not very many of them
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: