DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

OK. We finally decided to buy!

I'll admit that I'm a bit nervous about posting. The last time I asked for advice about buying in to DVC the thread turned in to a nasty discussion about the character of people who finance their DVC purchases. I just want some honest input from folks who've gone down this road before.

We just returned last night from a most magical 10 day trip at the Boardwalk. We've been interested in buying DVC for several years now but this stay has pushed us over the edge and confirmed to us just how much we would love to own at this beautiful and relaxing resort.

About my family. We are a family of three with our daughter being 9 years old. So I foresee that for at least the next 10 years we'll be travelling during the summer months. We would also love to have the ability to bring some extended family members with us from time to time. We travel to Disney every year, sometimes twice a year. Our average trip length is 10 days with lots of resort down days. We like to take it slow and relax. Resort amenities are very important to us.

We're interested in buying resale. It will get us more points at a lower cost. I understand that we won't be able to use our points for anything other than the DVC resorts. We're absolutely fine with that. I don't want to buy into DVC to travel the world. I want to secure deluxe accommodations and save money on all of our future trips.

Some questions:

1. What would be a good use year to aim for knowing that the majority of our trips will be during the summer months?

2. How many points should we buy? I understand that this is an extremely difficult question to answer for other people. I worry about buying the "minimum" number of points to get into a standard view studio. How many are there really? I don't want to worry about being able to get in to our home resort. I understand that there is usually always availability at say SSR or OKW but I have no interest in staying there. I want to stay at the Boardwalk so I'll buy at the Boardwalk.

3. For those of you who bought resale, how was the experience? Any advice or tips you can give me?

I'm sure that many more questions will arise from these few. I really appreciate any help my fellow Disboards members can give me to start this very exciting journey!

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(9) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)
MinniesYooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
MiramarQE
Mouseketeer

1. April or June - right at the beginning of your vacation window - if you have to cancel you still have many months left during the year to bank if you want

2. We're BWV also - we looked what we WANT in our "main" vacation of the year (1 BR pool view at BWV in Sep/Oct - 154-166 pts) then rounded UP to the available contract sizes (in our case, we bought 175, would have considered up to 225 - can ALWAYs use extra points - or rent them out if banking builds up more than we use in a year)

3. Our experience through TSS was very business-like. Excellent service from Jason/team. They cannot control sellers - don't be afraid to walk away if you believe a seller is being unreasonable - but for the total investment, $3-4/point would not have stopped us from buying.

Consider renting points for a vacation to try it out - we were glad we did
MiramarQE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinniesYooHoo View Post
1. What would be a good use year to aim for knowing that the majority of our trips will be during the summer months?

2. How many points should we buy?

3. For those of you who bought resale, how was the experience? Any advice or tips you can give me?
1. For summer travel an April or June UY would be best with Aug or Sept being the worst cause if you have to cancel you will not have time to bank the points and little time to reuse them.

2. Look at the points charts, figure out the size room, time of year, number of days you want to travel and then add @10% for any furture changes to the points charts.

3. Bought resale from TSS back in '11 . Very smooth process and you can expect to have your points available for use @60-70 days after contract execution.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Congrats on deciding to take the plunge! You will enjoy being a DVC owner. We have 7 contracts that we first started buying in 2006...5 resales and 2 direct (4 home resorts, 2 UY and 505 total points).

I feel that UY isn't all that important...or it hasn't been for us. We have 2 UY (June and Aug) and they have worked fine for us. We have done trips all over the calendar year (but due to hectic schedules the past few years we can vacation Aug, Nov and Dec and likely will continue for the next 3 years). We have stayed at ALL the east coast DVC resorts except VGF...and actually used our OKW points for all the resorts. We like all the resorts but do have an order of preference but we like to switch things up and do different resorts for different trips.

So, for you (a new member), I wouldn't stress over UY so much and just decide on resort and look for the best deal. For number of points, we started with 200 initially...wished we bought two 100 pointers instead and all the contracts we've since added have been 25-100 pointers (they are easier to re-sell and it makes it easier to downsize if needed). Adding on is easy (be careful it become addictive) so even if you go too small at first, you can always add on later.

Home resort...now we first chose OKW to get the most points for our money and, as I mentioned, we have been able to use those OKW points to stay all over. But still, we too love BWV and BCV (location) and I find myself wishing most (or all) of our points were there. There are times when we could not get a resie at either of those places (when we wanted to). We did just, finally, add on 2 contracts at BWV (80 points total...can get 4-5 weeknights in a studio per year) so that we can stay there for F&W. And the resorts we do have are good for point conserving so I do like that...we can book BWV standard view, AKV value rooms and OKW. Plus we can get HHI in the warmer months (and that is tough to get).

Happy hunting for your contract!!! And keep us posted on what you end up getting.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

We were going to get 200 points but decided on 210 since it was just a few dollars more and could possibly add a night on certain trips. I wish we had known to break the contract into two, maybe 100 and 110. You are correct in that your trips will change and amenities become so much more important with DVC ownership in my opinion.

We purchased direct and financed and have enjoy every penny and every second.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

UY is free insurance. If you can pick a UY that allows you to keep from losing your points, why wouldn't you?

If you choose a UY that is the start of your typical 8 month vacation period, you can bank your points during those 8 months to keep from losing them should you nee to cancel your vacation.

You need to decide what resort is your favorite and buy there. Then you need to look at the point charts for the different resorts, decide on the point season, size of rooms and categories that you will need points for. Decide how often you will need a room. Average the point totals required and buy that number of points.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
bennifer
Mouseketeer

Not to hijack your thread, OP, but I have a question for some of the PPs: What is the advantage of buying 2 separate contracts for 100? My husband and I have decided to take the plunge, too...but I'm trying to get every ounce of info first! TIA!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
MinnieMouse100
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennifer View Post
Not to hijack your thread, OP, but I have a question for some of the PPs: What is the advantage of buying 2 separate contracts for 100? My husband and I have decided to take the plunge, too...but I'm trying to get every ounce of info first! TIA!
To have 2 home resorts where you can alternate years having 200 points to use at 2 resorts with 11 month booking windows.

I've eaten at 64 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (26%)
I've eaten at 13 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (15%)
I've eaten at 17 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (23%)
I've eaten at 11 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (61%)
I've eaten at 1 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)

MinnieMouse100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Smaller contracts give you more flexibility should you sell later. Instead of selling your one 200 point contract, you can sell only 100 points and still have 100 left. Most contracts are larger due to Disney's minimums so any owner wanting to buy some additional points usually wants a smaller contract. Higher demand means a higher price.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
bennifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Smaller contracts give you more flexibility should you sell later. Instead of selling your one 200 point contract, you can sell only 100 points and still have 100 left. Most contracts are larger due to Disney's minimums so any owner wanting to buy some additional points usually wants a smaller contract. Higher demand means a higher price.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMouse100 View Post
To have 2 home resorts where you can alternate years having 200 points to use at 2 resorts with 11 month booking windows.
Thank you! This make sense now!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

I'll say this more points aren't always better , you need to pay MF on those points for a long time . If buy what you know you will use on a regular basis .

For the occasional bigger trips there are ways you can get more points . You can add I think 24 points per year at I think $15 pp through MS . You can also find another member to transfer you points to your account for around $10-12 pp . Keep in mind you can only transfer points in or out 1 time per year though .

For my situation I think I will not have an issue transferring points in for larger trips . I only plan on going once ever 2 years I have 100 points that gets me a 1br every 2 years for just about a week . If I wanted the full week I'll just buy points from MS , 224 points pretty much get 1br in all the older resorts for a week . If say I want to get a treehouse villi aid need around 100 points I just find someone to transfer me 100 for $1000-$1200. That's better them carrying 50 more points at 4%rate for MF for a bunch of years when I may inky get a THV a few times throughout my DVC contract .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #12
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Carful though as this advice is normally aimed at those buying direct as if you are buying 200 points from Disney they can slit them into 2 100 point contracts. However if buying resale two 100 point contracts may cost you a bit more than 1 200 point contract. Smaller contracts sell at a premium and you would pay closing twice
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #13
zavandor
DIS Veteran

The advice about getting an UY just before your usual travel habits is a good one and I suggest to go for that.
However, if the UY is good for your summer trip, it won't for your occasional second trip if it's in the winter. Also UY matters only if you have to cancel your trip. So I would look for an April or June UY, but keep an eye on other UY as well. If you find a better and/or cheaper contract on a different UY, it might work anyway.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

Bill
A point should be made that BUYING a smaller contract (<100 pts) is frequently going to COST you more as well on the resale market, which will likely offset any benefit you get from selling it at a higher price. (Though it is possible if you are selling in a down economy there would still be a strong benefit to having a smaller contract.) However, I do agree with the other points of flexibility though!

My opinion on a minimum first contract is to go somewhere around 150-200 points. This will get you enough for a week stay at most Studios most times of the year.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

Excellent advice everyone! Thank you so much for your input. Anymore words of wisdom from the experts?!

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(9) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)
MinniesYooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: