Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
allie_to_you
DIS Veteran

Wheelchair Accessible ride photos

I am trying to do a lot of research into accessible rides that my husband can do. I already know the obvious ones where he can go right onto the attraction with his wheelchair, but trying to figure out others he can get onto with my help in transferring

I would like to get pictures of every accessible ride vehicle as well as all the rest. I know some like Pirates don't have a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle, but I've had a hard time even figuring out how we might get his ride up to the boat to begin with (the loading area looks so narrow). If I had pictures of the ride vehicles and loading areas, we would be able to ascertain better whether he would be able to transfer with my help.

Test track is one i'm curious about. I've heard there is another loading area where the side of the car is about the height of the wheelchair seat, so I could possible help him transfer there.

I've also heard that one of the Mission Space cars has a larger opening where I could possible help him transfer.

Any pictures of ride vehicles or loading areas or any information/personal experiences anyone with lower body paralysis would be helpful.

allie_to_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I will reply more tonight and this weekend, but I do have pictures of almost everything.
Some are posted on the DISBOARDS members' photo pages.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Ask to load upstairs for Test track so he can do a wheelchair transfer. My oldest daughter (age 24) uses the booster seat to make the transfer in and out easier. They also have a transfer bar if he needs it for leverage. My girls just use the side of the car and the top of the seat for leverage.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Here are 2 links to start with -

Post 18-21 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about the transfers required for different attractions and the attractions with wheelchair accessible ride cars.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713&page=2

The DISBOARDS photo post website has all the pictures I have downloaded so far. Go to this site:
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com
Sign in and then you can search for my username. Most of the pictures have an explanation of how boarding is done.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 06-24-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Here are a couple of ride photos I have posted already. I have pictures of almost all attractions, but have not had time to post all of them.
At MK - Haunted Mansion's ADA doombuggy. The door opening is larger than the regular doombuggys. A wheelchair can be parked next to the doombuggy, as close as you need. You will be boarding and exiting from the same area and side.

At MK - Splash Mountain is close to impossible to board. You would board and exit on the opposite side from this picture, on the exit side. The ride logs have high sides and a very tight space to get in.

Here's another view - guests with ECVs and wheelchairs get on and off at the side where the ECVs in the picture are parked:

A closer view of the ride log:

At MK - Pirates

You will be directed to the left side line and to board the last row of the last boat. The gates are a little farther apart there, but it is still a difficult transfer in and out because it is so low. You will board and unload from the same side, but in a different building.

At MK - Big Thunder Mountain ADA car has a wider opening. You will board and unload in the same area, same side.

At MK - Dumbo (both Dumbo sides) have an ADA Dumbo where a door lifts up to open the whole side. It is still a hard transfer because it is basically almost on the ground.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

I don't know if the Mission Space "cars" (they're closer to pods) I used were officially the "wheelchair transfer" pods since I've only used it since I became a wheelchair user. My memory is that the seats seemed high for transfer so getting in was harder than getting out. I can stand/weight-bear enough that I could make it in (I'm 5'4"), but I'm not sure it would be possible for everyone. It was a ride where I didn't feel rushed getting in or out, though, so that is a bonus. Out was definitely much easier than in. I will say as another positive note is that it's one of the rides where I felt very securely supported once I was in. When I rode I knew I had cervical instability that needed a fusion and I felt very much supported so that my head/neck weren't going to move on both Orange & Green sides. Now that I have the fusion (almost 3 years out), I'd probably try at least the Orange on my next WDW trip.

You didn't ask about it, but Expedition Everest does have a car with a door that opens extra wide. I think it may have even been a straight transfer without any up or down. (Unfortunately I don't have a photo and it's been almost 4 years.) The car/row that has the wide opening is the last in the train so it does get a little extra movement. It looks like the test vehicle near the guest shop (there is one) has the ability to open like the transfer car. The bottom 2 photos on http://allears.net/tp/ak/ak_ee5.htm show the test vehicle. There is only a lap bar for restraint while riding.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Pooh's Ace
Earning My Ears

How do I login at photopost . wdwinfo . com ? It says my Disboards username/password is invalid.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh's Ace View Post
How do I login at photopost . wdwinfo . com ? It says my Disboards username/password is invalid.
It should be the same as you use to post on the boards.

Are there any ride cars you are especially interested in. I've got a computer full of pictures and can hunt some down to post.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
allie_to_you
DIS Veteran

Do you have one specifically of the tower of terror ride vehicle?

allie_to_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_to_you View Post
Do you have one specifically of the tower of terror ride vehicle?
Here's a picture of the seat itself.

I have some others on my phone, but will have to look tomorrow night.
Here's one someone posted of their photo during the ride. It shows how the rows of seats are arranged in each elevator.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: