Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
SA mom
DIS Veteran

I am 5 weeks post op ACL reconstruction. We are due in WDW in 3 weeks. I am extremely nervous about the trip because I still don't have my strength back. I injured the knee in February and had worked up to walking 3.5-5 miles a day prior to the surgery plus doing tons of upper body in anticipation of crutches. Even with that amount of conditioning, my leg (my whole body) is still weak.

At 5 days post op, the doc threw away the crutches. At 2 weeks, I entered physical therapy. Swelling was still a big issue and continues to be even 5 weeks out.

The thing is that we think these surgeries are no big thing, but the chances are re-injury in the weeks afterward are quite high. I slipped on a french fry a few weeks ago in a restaurant. Thank God I had my brace on. Yes, the knee cap is bruised, but the graft is still in tact.

Also, the water parks do not allow you on many attractions with a brace on. So, I've come to the realization that this will be a different trip from the rest. I will not be able to be my usual theme park commando self.

If she isn't in pain, I would put off the surgery until after the trip. I would have, knowing what I know now.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
On crutches at 6 weeks post op???? She must have had other extensive repairs other than just repairing a torn meniscus! . . . .

1) Nope.
2) Although she had the crutches, she did not use them for support all the time.
3) She always had them, in case there was a balance problem or got overly tired while walking.
4) If such an event occurred, she could use the crutches to "catch" herself.
5) Thus, preventing re-injury and a new injury elsewhere from a fall.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #18
SA mom
DIS Veteran

I contacted guest services about the water parks and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.
>
> Guests wearing casts or braces are not permitted to ride the following

> attractions:
>
> Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park:
>
> Downhill Double Dipper
> Runoff Rapids (Enclosed Slide)
> Slush Gusher
> Summit Plummet
>
> Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park:
>
> Humunga Kowabunga
> Storm Slides
>
> If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact

> us. Have a magical day and we look forward to your visit in July!

A former cast member has told me differently on the DisAbilities Board, but this is the official response from Guest Services.

I hope you guys have a good time, whatever happens!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
Mommee
DIS Veteran

I have a medline ultralight transport chair (no big wheels since it's designed for someone else to push it. It's lightweight enough, though, that i can use my good leg to scootch around small spaces). It would probably be cheaper to find one on craigslist than to rent something. It's like 15 pounds (mine is 13 and has a lower weight limit but I'm not finding those for sale online), folds up easily, and except for the bricks at haunted mansion, I am not uncomfortable riding in it at Disney (though we only stay in the parks until after lunch usually). If you can't find one on craigslist, they're 100-150 at places like Sams (on sale for 113 right now) and Amazon if you keep your eye out, and you could sell it when you're done. This would give you a wheelchair during travel time, too. My husband has pushed me in rental chairs (never again!) and has pushed toddlers in strollers. He says it's about the same effort to push me in this chair as it is a 4-yr. old in an umbrella stroller.

Though I'm with the -wait until after the trip for surgery- camp. She can still use a wheelchair in the meantime. I've had more than a dozen orthopedic surgeries... Sometimes they go fine. Sometimes there's complications. I wouldn't risk having to cancel the trip.
Mommee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

What resort are you staying at? I believe that some buildings in POR and maybe POFQ (I can't remember) don't have elevators. While most resorts do have elevators in all buildings, if you're at a resort that doesn't then you'll need to request a ground floor room.

My 13yo doesn't like transport chairs. Because they don't have the big wheels, she can't self-propel. Generally I push her but she does like to move herself when I'm looking at something she has no interest in. As the person who pushes her chair at WDW, I'd rather she be happy with what she's sitting in than have a bit of an easier time pushing it. I haven't found it to be difficult to push her, other than places like the ramp up to the monorail at MK (OMG that's a tough hill) and a few other steeper places. If it was my DH, he'd be stuck with whatever's easier because he weighs a lot more and he's a grown up so I make him put up with more.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: