Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Where do people wait?

I've seen a lot of very informative posts, but one that I haven't seen is ideas for quiet, uncrowded and/or cool places to wait. Let's be honest, there are only so many stores you can waste time in, and some of them are very small and don't lend themselves to leisurely perusing. Sometimes the QS restaurants won't let you sit unless you are eating. And benches can be hard to come by depending on the area and time of day.

Next year we will be taking a big family trip with multiple people with special needs and limitations. None of us will probably qualify for a DAS, but we will still need to take it slow and find places to rest and regroup. So I started trying to make a mental checklist of places in each park to go and realized the only one I can think of os Innoventions in Epcot. I'm sure others could use suggestions as well. So whether you use a DAS, or just need to get away and rest for a little bit, where are the best places to go in each park?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

And if there is already a thread or a sticky, please include a link to it. I think it could be very helpful to a lot of Disers!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

This is one of those things I was gathering information about with the intent yo add it to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, but just haven't had time.

There are dome suggestions in the WDW guidebook GOR guests with cognitive disabilities - don't let the name scare you off - it has lots of good information for people with any disabilities.

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/med..._guide_rev.pdf

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Aristomommy
We were in the “wild animals” cage, which was very fitting for us

In Magic Kingdom we found a shady and/or air conditioned spots at:
-Tomorrowland Terrace (no problem sitting there)
- Benches between Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress
- The benches along the wall to New Fantasyland
- benches in front of Cosmic Rays
- ride the train once around ending the same spot

Epcot:
- Club Cool
- innoventions
- aquarium inside Nemo
- ride the boat at Land
- kids splash area as you walk to world showcase
- World Showcase has many spots between countries to sit and rest but there aren't many rides you would wait for, we stop for a snack in many countries

AK:
- Dinoland has benches where the Dinosaur exits that are in the shade
- the walking trails are great for kids who need to move as they wait
- playground in Dinoland

DHS:
- across from toy story mania, there are benches in the shade
- watch a show if the timing works out, many of them are high capacity and let you in as it is starting

I would also look at the wait times on the app, you may find something at 5-10 min wait nearby to do while you wait for your return time. We loved carousel of progress, great movie ride and the land boat ride.

Always Planning My Next Disney Trip

Aristomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

In the MK, we use the train and the Peoplemover as good ways to rest for a bit. The Carousel of Progress and Hall of Presidents are other good spots to sit and rest for a while, but unfortunately my DD doesn't share my love of those.

In Epcot, the movie in France has comfortable seats. Maybe too comfortable as I have been known to doze off in there.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Any show or a long ride such as the Ellen's energy ride would be a good break. Also remember that while you may need to purchase food in order to use a CS sitting area, you don't have to order a full meal. Frequent snack breaks and sharing of meals and eating more often may work well for you.
MSSANDRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

In the Magic Kingdom, I like the little garden-type area around the Liberty Bell. I don't remember if there are actual benches, but there are some flowerbeds with walls to perch on, and it's shady and cooler a lot of the time.

Also, I've sat in the covered waiting area for the Liberty Belle steamboat when it wasn't crowded, even though I wasn't going to ride. CAVEAT: If there were people waiting to ride and there were no other seats for them left, I would give up my seat. I would also leave without a question if a Cast member questioned my presence there, but none ever has.

Future World is one of the best places. There are still a lot of benches left outdoors, and many of the large fountains and flowerbeds have good walls to sit on. The Land and Seas pavilions have lobby areas if you need to go inside, as well as the aforementioned Innoventions.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

I usually use longer attractions that have shorter waits, such as hall of presidents, american adventure, ellen's universe of energy, the train, etc. for this purpose.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
2tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

We really didn't "wait" in the sense that we sat down somewhere and waited. We used FP and DAS. We were never without a return time or a FP time. For example, we got a DAS return time just prior to using our FP time. We had a DAS return time while we ate a meal. We had a DAS return time while we sat and watched the parade. In other words, we did what we normally do, but, had a DAS return time always in the works.
2tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: