Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

OP, my first thought was, this woman should not be going to a place like WDW! Too risky. But, you really made me think with your other posts, your responses were excellent. (I have a DD who went thru some life threatening conditions (HLH for one, 50% fatal), and she was immune compromised for months, so I somewhat understand, her system recovered from the chemo and steroids though). Good luck to you on your trip.

I have an adult son with various special needs, and he uses a Convaid chair at the parks. Thanks to other DISers, for the tip about possibly leaving his chair outside when I request a DAS. We did receive one at DL in February, but there was a long (polite)conversation (I think) because of that chair. I think they would focus on his other needs better without it. He is in and out of it during the day, some lines I have to make him walk because it is too hard for me (age 55) to push him up and down the hills (Space and Soarin' are not easy!) It is also good for him to do some walking, too.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I definitely don't think you shouldn't request a DAS, but I DO think it could be a toss up. It's just not something I've seen as the only reason someone is requesting the DAS so there's no history to go off of (that I've read anyway).

We will be there at the same time though, so if I see a pink EVC I'll give you a wave
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #18
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

Just to clarify a bit- as I understand it, under the DAS, there are no specified alternate waiting areas as once existed under GAC. If you have a DAS card, you are free to wait in a place of your own choosing. That's not quite the same thing, in terms of separation from crowds (I'm thinking about places around Soaring/The Land, for example, that are not crowded). That elevator area has to be one of the biggest (indoor) human traffic jams @ Disney!
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to quote the first post in the thread titled "An Open Letter from SueM" . That thread is a sticky near the top of this board. It was written for the reasons then as it is being shared for now.
The references were to GAC (Guest Assistance Cards), which has been discontinued. It refers equally well to DAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I spent the whole day today doing disaster preparedness training with people from other hospitals; planning what we would do and how we would handle it if a disaster struck.
We spent the afternoon doing a 'tabletop' exercise to apply what we had covered earlier in the day. Our 'disaster' was a blizzard and ice storm (yes, in the middle of June) and our scenario had us losing all power in the hospital from our regular and back up generator, with no idea how long it would be out. In our 'pretend hospital' for the scenario, we would have 30 patients with ventilators breathing for them when the power went out. As we worked out everything - trying to think how long a ventilator battery could possibly last and how long the staff could last if they had to manually pump the patient's lungs, I had the sobering thought that I work in a hospital where we actually do have 25-30 patients on ventilators on an average day. And that if we did have a long power outage, a great number of our patients would probably die as a result. And, we could probably do very little to prevent it.

A few weeks ago, we had another disaster training exercise - that one was bioterrorism with Plague - aren't we a cheery bunch!

On my way home today, I heard the news stories:
12 more US troops killed in Iraq
Missing pregnant woman still not found
and close to home,
a 5 yr old girl with autism found dead in a pond just across the street from her home after she wandered away.
I thought of what it must be like to live in a situation where your 5 year old has no sense of danger and you have to be always vigilent to the possibility of her getting out. And what those parents must be going thru tonight and how they are going to live in that house (even stay there tonight) knowing that the pond that their DD drowned in is just 300 yards from their front door.

Those are the types of thoughts that I came to the DIS Boards to escape from.
The DIS Boards were my "happy place" where I could come to share a special place and ways to enjoy that special place with others who maybe thought the 'magic' was out of their reach.
But the DIS Boards have not been so happy. This has not just been one thread, it has been several over the past few months.
When I've come here lately, I've found things like:
  • "they lied to me"
  • "people know things and won't tell me"
  • "people on the board are treating xxxxxxxx disability better than yyyyyyy."
  • "some people are prejudiced"
  • "no one will list exactly what the GAC does"
    (If you don't know what GAC stands for, post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread talks about it).
  • "No one will let me post exactly how things work"
  • "people only care about people with permanent disabilities."
  • "people are PMing me with information that is different than what most people are posting"
  • etc. etc. etc
This sounds so much like the bickering that my brothers and sisters did while we were growing up that it's not funny. It makes the board an un-pleasant place to come and because of the general arguementative attitude of some posters, many posts are being taken in a negative way when there was NOTHING negative about them.
Negativity creates more negativity.

So, some reminders:
  • If you come here with a chip on your shoulder looking for the negative in people, you will probably find it and YOU will be contributing to the negative views of others.
    If you assume that other people are honestly trying to help (and most are), you will find help.
  • When reading replies, keep in mind that seeing things in writing only gives part of the message the person was trying to convey. Something that sounds 'snarky' or rude when you read it, might sound very different in person, when you also have other clues to the meaning, like tone of voice and facial expression.
  • Remember that other people reading your message might not understand it the way that you meant it (see # 2).
  • If you post "I plan to go to WDW in August and I have xxxxxxxx. What kind of GAC should I ask for?", no one is going to tell you what kind of GAC to ask for. They will tell you to go to Guest Relations and explain your needs.
    One reason for that answer, is that we don't know what Disney will offer. As one poster wrote (edited a little):

If you go in and are able to explain what your issues are, you will be able to get assistance. If you feel you are not getting what you need, ask to speak to a supervisor.
  • If you post "I plan to go to WDW in August and I have xxxxxxxx. What should I do", you will get advice from
    -people who have been to WDW with xxxxxxxx and would not go again as long as they have xxxxxxxx
    -people who have not been to WDW with xxxxxxx, but have been in August and would not go again
    -people who have never been to WDW, but had xxxxxxx, and can't imagine going
    -people who have suggestions for dealing with xxxxxxx
    -people who have suggestions for dealing with xxxxxxx at WDW

They are giving their opinions. If you don't like them, you don't have to follow them. Some of the people responding may know a great deal about xxxxx, but don't know anything about WDW. So if they don't tell about WDW, they are not trying to keep information away or prevent you from going - they just don't know anything.

But, most are trying to help, not upset. So, take what is helpful to you and assume the other information was given with good intentions, even if you don't feel it was helpful or was what you wanted to hear.
  • Whatever board you go on, different people will have different experiences. That doesn't mean any of them are not telling the truth.
    You will find threads on the Theme Parks Board where someone says they used Fastpasses after the 'window' time and someone else says they were told they could not do that.
    Or opposite experieces about height restrictions, tickets or being asked to show room keys for Extra Magic Hours.
    On the Resort Board, someone will post that the CM told them the limit was 4 people in one room and someone else posts a CM told them 5.
    None of that means that anyone was lying - just that they had different experiences.
  • And one to add this morning; if you have been given information or a link that seems overwhelming or that you don't understand, it's your responsibility to let people on the thread know that. It was probably very clear to the person who wrote it but, but if you don't say anything, they won't know that, and no one can help you to clarify things.
As Cheshire Figment noted on another thread, all the Moderators on all the Boards are volunteers. We put hours into moderating the boards with no pay and sometimes a lot of grief.
We generally do it because we felt like we had something to offer and enjoyed doing it.
Even though it might seem like we are always on the boards, we do have lives outside of the DIS Boards. When people are doing things that cause the boards to take more of our time, it is taken from other parts of our lives.

And, since it's 12:50am (at least on my computer) now, I'm tired and I'm not sure I'm even making sense anymore, I'll end with
this last, final advice for all posters from Thumper's mom,
"If you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all."

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
DCDisney
On my way...

Many of the lines now work with ECV and like little ones in a stroller I think you probably get better protection being on the ECV not at face level so much and people tend to leave space around an ECV too so they don't get run over. Without the ECV in sight its probably a toss up on the DAS. I have a different medical condition but also one where I can be physically harmed by others touching, pushing, etc and I have no troubles getting a DAS when I need one BUT I 99% of the time go on the slowest park days because its not just the masses in line but also the masses everywhere that are an issue and I only get/use DAS for very specific conditions otherwise I can do fine with rides as long as I'm with 2 others who can run interference for me standing in front and behind me. I totally understand you wanting to go and the DR OKs it but I would take every precaution like gloves and mask. We haven't gotten sick on any of our many trips but we tend to not get sick often. We have had issues though on nearly every trip where one of us sits in something on a ride that I would consider a bio-hazard, people cough/sneeze on us, can't help but touch some grab bars, etc. Can you do public restrooms? Those auto-flushers are so strong they always send out a yucky mist.... When my brother was on chemo he was not supposed to go in any restroom with an autoflush and had a whole page of rules from the Dr about people using toilets in his house like closing the lid and flushing solid waste multiple times, etc. I would worry potentially more about things like that than the lines.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #21
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniBugInPink View Post
As far as the mask goes, I have to use an N95 respirator rated for healthcare use in order to be sure that it will block pathogens (otherwise, it won't do any good in preventing infection) and it has to have a complete seal to my face (argh! can you say hot and sweaty? ). When they get damp and icky, I have to change them.
I count September as summer here, so it's still often hot. You might want to bring a couple of masks for each day and swap them every so often. That's what I did at SWW a few weeks ago. It was just too hot to keep the one mask on; swapping helped immensely. The hot and sweaty mask is just blah!

Have you looked at Vogmasks? There's a girl in my neighborhood who's immunocompromised and she swears they are the best thing ever. The microfiber ones are supposed to be at the NIOSH 95 or 99 standards. I haven't tried them out myself yet but they look pretty cool.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean about the 15 minute line with the DAS.
I can't speak for the person who wrote that, but I think they meant that your wait in the Fastpass Line could be 15 minutes.

The accommodation given by the DAS is waiting outside of the line. When you return to go on the attraction, you come into the Fastpass Plus line.
With a Fastpass, you have a one hour time frame to return. With DAS, you can return any time after the Return Time starts that day.

If the Fastpass Line looks longer than you feel comfortable waiting in, you can stay close by and enter the line when it looks less busy. Keep in mind that some of the Fastpass Plus or other lines may actually look like a longer wait than they are.
We noticed that when we were at WDW in October/November 2013 and this Spring during Spring break. It often was because people at the Magicband reader at the entrance had issues - did not have their Magicband/pass ready, didn't know what to do, returned at the wrong time.
So, the lines at the entrance back up until they get past the scanner and then thins out.
Quote:
I don't care about the time, what I'm trying to do is reduce the viral/bacterial burden. Smaller group = smaller chance of infection due to reduced viral/bacterial pathogen presence, especially airborne. The queue that sticks in my mind is Rock n' Roller Coaster where the line is bascially just doubled over and over and over on itself and you're breathing that air in that crowd and nobody's moving and you're just as smashed as you can be...
One thing that has changed is almost every attraction now has Fastpass Plus lines. In some cases, it is a line that is parallel to the regular line. An example if that would be Buzz Lightyear. The regular line there does some back and forth; the Fastpass Plus Line is right next to it, but with wall on one side and the regular line at the other side.
Some have a separate line, like Enchanted Tales With Belle. But, after waiting separately, you will enter a medium size room which will be packed with about 25 other people.
You may want to do some exploring of videos from YouTube. A person called FatPanda has posted some good videos lately which show an overview of the entrance, queue and boarding areas well as the attraction.
You could use other members of your group to help keep separation in front and behind you, but may not be able to do much about closeness from the side.
Quote:
Thanks so much for the suggestion about NOT going to Guest Services WITH the ECV. That's so smart! I know that they see a zillion people, and it does seem that their training has been skewed to ASD, at least from what I have read here and elsewhere.
Many people had posted, especially in the first weeks, about not getting a DAS when they had an ECV were depicting they would get a DAS because they had gotten a GAC. Many talked about stamina needs and had not thought of any other needs; since they only talked about needs that were met by using the ECV, they were not given a DAS.
Many posted on one thread about not getting a DAS, but posted some where else about going back and getting a DAS. Since the 2 were not together, they didn't always get connected.
Quote:
We're going Sept 27 - Oct 5, which is our usual time. We go then because it's among the least crowded weeks of the year and I LOVE the F&W Festival and MNSSHP.
Even during that time, using one of the touring sites like www.touringplans.com or www.easywdw.com are helpful.
Even if you don't follow an actual touring plan from one of those sites, just knowing which days they recommend for which park will help you to be on the least busy park.
You are probably already aware that getting to the parks at opening gives the smallest crowds and waits.
Quote:
This used to be possible. If it is no longer possible, I will be disappointed, as I don't think that's how the DAS is meant to work. I don't think it is meant to make things worse, and I know it is making things worse for some because CM are not listening adequately to guests. They are looking, but not listening.
What DAS provides is a place outside of the line to wait.
Where you wait is up to you, so you are free to find whatever place you think will meet your needs.
When you come back yo the attraction, you will enter through the Fastpass Plus line.
The few attractions that are not accessible thru the regular or Fastpass Plus lines have a separate wheelchair entrance. Most are accessible through the regular line at least thru the majority of the line.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #23
sookie
DIS Veteran

I will go into this by saying that I sorry you have to go through this.

Quote:
I've been an RN/BSN for over 25 years. I work in medical research. I've got my health care well in hand, thanks. And yes, I'm willing to risk it. Life is for the living. My life will be a shortened one. Seriously, kidney disease will take me out one day, and I'm not programmed to live life on dialysis forever. I will gradually get less and less able to travel, and my immunity isn't going to improve. We're DVC members, and I don't plan to sell anytime soon. It's worth the risk to me. I've lived through an appendectomy and two upper respiratory infections, though one got kinda' dicey. I will not live life in my bedroom. THAT is not worth it to me. I'm VERY careful when I'm not at home, and I'll continue that in the germ pit at WDW, but I'm going!

I understand you are trying to tell us your level of education because it allows you to express that you understand your condition. I got that. But the things I posted were pretty much common sense. Managing your care will need to go to your medical team. My advice had NOTHING to do with your employment, education, certification - all of that is separate. I don't care if you are a hospital janitor or a licensed LPN, RN, NP, MD. I really don't care if you are the POTUS. You could have a Vo-Tech certificate, have completed a diploma program, an associates, bachelors, masters, or PhD in Nursing. In fact, I don't care if you are the Pope posting here in disguise. You need to take a step back and have your medical team help you objectively make this decision. They need to know when you are going (cold and flu season?) as well as other things you expect to encounter as a Disney Parks lover and DVC holder.

And to be fair to you - I don't have an RN / BSN. I've had an associates degree, a BSN, MS(N), and will be finishing my PhD in Nursing in just a few short months. So I am an RN and an advanced practice nurse. Does it matter in this conversation? Nope. Not at all.

Quote:
Getting sick is a really scary proposition for me. A cold could kill me, you know? At home, I almost never leave the house. I almost chickened out on our trip, but if it kills me, so be it.
Do I think that this has been a really unfair and hard blow to you? YES - of course! But I'm going to assume that you have family and friends who love you and depend on you. Think of that with every decision you make. If something like a Disney trip could make you sick enough to die - I think it does lend itself to considering a conservative approach while talking to your care team (the lead physician in particular). Let him know your Disney plans, previous experiences, accommodations, dates of travel (flu and cold season might be a deal breaker for you). Let them help you make healthy decisions.

I know you love Disney - you said you have even bought into DVC! To be told to reconsider your vacationing habits for now and the near future would be very difficult. But strongly consider this. I wasn't being flippant. It doesn't mean that Disney is forever off your list. But this seems to be a fairly new development / diagnosis. You need to think of what is best for your health, right here, right now. You need the guidance of your entire medical team.

Also - take this with a kind heart. Please don't take your own training as a nurse as the final say. I tell this to my friends, the people I work with - everyone. For instance: I never, ever treat my family members unless I absolutely have to. I feel that I can't treat my kids with complete objectivity if they are in fact very sick. I would rather place them in the hands of someone who can objectively assess and treat them. I don't want MY judgement as mom to cloud my objective decision making. It is actually best practice.

You have heard the saying that "doctors and nurses are the worst patients" right? There is some truth to that as well. We really can't objectively treat ourselves or make good judgements about alterations to our care. It is because we can't be as objective about our own health as the people who take care of us (and the people we take care of). In the end, nothing matters unless you really did become critically ill from being on a crowded vacation. Then it really, really matters. One nurse to another.

On another note - I also think the chances of being able to obtain a DAS are about 50/50. There is no designated separate place to wait. Unless something has changed, you can just wait someplace else other than the FP line (out in the huddled masses). They may not see that a DAS is beneficial to you because of that since you will still be "exposed". If you do get a DAS, the DAS return time for each attraction is 15 minutes shorter than the current standby time (I believe - could be wrong on this). If the ride is a "walk on", it is usually easier just to go ahead and do the ride as a walk on. Use My Disney Experience application - it can tell you which attractions are walk on and which ones are not. Very useful when you are planning your FP+ and DAS time. Give us an update on how things went!

Last edited by sookie; 06-20-2014 at 12:04 AM.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #24
ecatzippy
Earning My Ears

I don't know what the answer is for your trip. However, I just wanted to put it out there that we work with a clinical immunologist for weekly IGG replacement for an immune disorder and it has been life changing for our family and many others. Hopefully they can give you a weekly or monthly IGG boost so things are a bit easier. It has made it a lot easier for us to go to Disney!

Last edited by ecatzippy; 06-20-2014 at 12:40 AM.
ecatzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #25
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecatzippy View Post
I don't know what the answer is for your trip. However, I just wanted to put it out there that we work with a clinical immunologist for weekly IGG replacement for an immune disorder and it has been life changing for our family and many others. Hopefully they can give you a weekly or monthly IGG boost so things are a bit easier. It has made it a lot easier for us to go to Disney!
The Rheumatologist and I have discussed starting IgG, but I've been a little hesitant because of all the side effects I've read about. It sounds like it's gone well for you. I'm on so many meds, I've just gotten skiddish I guess. Since my kidneys crapped out, I'm not on nearly as many as I once was, LOL. I see the Rheumy in about 10 days, so I'm sure we'll discuss it again.

Thanks for the reassurance!
JenniBugInPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #26
JenniBugInPink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I can't speak for the person who wrote that, but I think they meant that your wait in the Fastpass Line could be 15 minutes. The accommodation given by the DAS is waiting outside of the line. When you return to go on the attraction, you come into the Fastpass Plus line. With a Fastpass, you have a one hour time frame to return. With DAS, you can return any time after the Return Time starts that day. If the Fastpass Line looks longer than you feel comfortable waiting in, you can stay close by and enter the line when it looks less busy. Keep in mind that some of the Fastpass Plus or other lines may actually look like a longer wait than they are. We noticed that when we were at WDW in October/November 2013 and this Spring during Spring break. It often was because people at the Magicband reader at the entrance had issues - did not have their Magicband/pass ready, didn't know what to do, returned at the wrong time. So, the lines at the entrance back up until they get past the scanner and then thins out. One thing that has changed is almost every attraction now has Fastpass Plus lines. In some cases, it is a line that is parallel to the regular line. An example if that would be Buzz Lightyear. The regular line there does some back and forth; the Fastpass Plus Line is right next to it, but with wall on one side and the regular line at the other side. Some have a separate line, like Enchanted Tales With Belle. But, after waiting separately, you will enter a medium size room which will be packed with about 25 other people. You may want to do some exploring of videos from YouTube. A person called FatPanda has posted some good videos lately which show an overview of the entrance, queue and boarding areas well as the attraction. You could use other members of your group to help keep separation in front and behind you, but may not be able to do much about closeness from the side. Many people had posted, especially in the first weeks, about not getting a DAS when they had an ECV were depicting they would get a DAS because they had gotten a GAC. Many talked about stamina needs and had not thought of any other needs; since they only talked about needs that were met by using the ECV, they were not given a DAS. Many posted on one thread about not getting a DAS, but posted some where else about going back and getting a DAS. Since the 2 were not together, they didn't always get connected. Even during that time, using one of the touring sites like www.touringplans.com or www.easywdw.com are helpful. Even if you don't follow an actual touring plan from one of those sites, just knowing which days they recommend for which park will help you to be on the least busy park. You are probably already aware that getting to the parks at opening gives the smallest crowds and waits. What DAS provides is a place outside of the line to wait. Where you wait is up to you, so you are free to find whatever place you think will meet your needs. When you come back yo the attraction, you will enter through the Fastpass Plus line. The few attractions that are not accessible thru the regular or Fastpass Plus lines have a separate wheelchair entrance. Most are accessible through the regular line at least thru the majority of the line.
I'm a long time member of http://touringplans.com. It's their Crowd Calendar that determines when we go. We use their plans, though FastPass+ certainly has kinda kinked things up a bit. For me, I think it will be a good thing, as I have always been an uber planner with Excel spreadsheets and the whole thing down to a "T". I hope so, anyway. My tiredness has always been the fly in the ointment. I always seem to plan more than I can do. Now that, for instance, almost all lunch & dinner reservations require a 2 day cancellation (rather than 1), I've made fewer dinner reservations in fear that I might be too tired to keep them. We ended up canceling 2 on our last trip. Anyway, back to the point, we follow all the 'rules' for touring (like don't go to the park with EMH since it will be more crowded, etc.). So, no, I'm not expecting miracles from a DAS. I realize it's just one tool in the arsenal, but I would like all the tools that are, and should, be available to me.

It's good to know that lines are more accessible to ECVs now. I didn't know that they had redone so many in three years?!? I did know about the FP+ lines, though.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #27
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
the entire park is crowded. even if you do find a quiet out of the way spot to wait out your time, the FP line will still have to be navigated and the wait times can be 30 minutes, getting to the FP entrance you will be surrounded by people.

it may not be possible to avoid the huddled masses no matter what accommodations you get.
This is true, well the FP return time should never be over 15 minutes unless there was a problem with the ride.

That being said, while you can't completely avoid the huddled masses, you can minimize contact with them. Consider this, you are in line for 90 minutes in a tightly confined space with hundreds of other people or you are in line for 15 minutes with a hundred people in a tightly confined space.

Yes, you are still in a tightly confined space with other people, but odds are substantially more in your favor in the second case.

I honestly don't know where other people are getting that you shouldn't ask for a DAS. I honestly think that giving you an alternate place to wait (which is EXACTLY what the DAS is designed to do) would be essential for you.

My dad has leukemia and his white blood cell count is very low, at DLR they didn't even question it. The only thinking that took us extra time was that they were trying to figure out if there was anything extra they could do for him, as they realized that it was quite likely his last trip to the parks (we all hope that we are proven wrong on that one, but who knows?)

But they made point that this is exactly the kind of thing that this was designed to accommodate, so that he could have a safe place to wait and minimize close contact with others.

And it did work, he did avoid getting sick, which probably would not have happened without the DAS.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm a long time member of http://touringplans.com. It's their Crowd Calendar that determines when we go. We use their plans, though FastPass+ certainly has kinda kinked things up a bit. For me, I think it will be a good thing, as I have always been an uber planner with Excel spreadsheets and the whole thing down to a "T". I hope so, anyway. My tiredness has always been the fly in the ointment. I always seem to plan more than I can do. Now that, for instance, almost all lunch & dinner reservations require a 2 day cancellation (rather than 1), I've made fewer dinner reservations in fear that I might be too tired to keep them. We ended up canceling 2 on our last trip. Anyway, back to the point, we follow all the 'rules' for touring (like don't go to the park with EMH since it will be more crowded, etc.). So, no, I'm not expecting miracles from a DAS. I realize it's just one tool in the arsenal, but I would like all the tools that are, and should, be available to me.

It's good to know that lines are more accessible to ECVs now. I didn't know that they had redone so many in three years?!? I did know about the FP+ lines, though.
This is a case where you could most likely talk with the specific restaurant and get the cancellation fee waived. Honestly, they don't want you showing up sick and being miserable.

And yes, the DAS should be one tool. Hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes and possibly a face mask could be other useful tools. I can't believe that I am recommending those items, as I feel we way overuse them in our society which has been leading to antibiotic resistant bugs, but in your case they make sense.

Also make sure you schedule your FP+ in a way that may help you avoid lines that might not be avoided with a DAS return time. For an example, if an attraction has a different queue for FP+ and DAS, you may not want to get a FP+ for that attraction, as the DAS queue will most likely have fewer people in it.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #29
JenniBugInPink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
This is a case where you could most likely talk with the specific restaurant and get the cancellation fee waived. Honestly, they don't want you showing up sick and being miserable.

And yes, the DAS should be one tool. Hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes and possibly a face mask could be other useful tools. I can't believe that I am recommending those items, as I feel we way overuse them in our society which has been leading to antibiotic resistant bugs, but in your case they make sense.

Also make sure you schedule your FP+ in a way that may help you avoid lines that might not be avoided with a DAS return time. For an example, if an attraction has a different queue for FP+ and DAS, you may not want to get a FP+ for that attraction, as the DAS queue will most likely have fewer people in it.
In the cases where we needed to cancel dining reservations because I was wiped out, they actually did wave the fee. I called and asked, and said we would go if we had to, but that I really needed to cancel if at all possible and they let me. I was supremely grateful, and cried like a baby on the phone both times because I was so relieved.

I know exactly what you mean about the hand sanitizer, gels, etc. My husband works in IT in a hospital, and I get after him all the time for not just washing his hands with plain soap and water (which is available) and using the chemicals instead. I don't have the chemical stuff here at home. When I'm out, though, I do have a pocketbook full of the stuff - wipes to clean the buggies, the ECVs, open the doors, clean my hands, etc., hand cleaner, and on an on. I hate the stuff, but I depend on it. My doomsday fear is a bug we can't treat, and I hate possibly helping create it. Maybe it'll come from an animal vector and won't be my fault. What a terrible thing to think! I am not a good person...

I don't know whether to make my FP+ plans under the assumption that I will or won't get a DAS. I'm a pessimist by nature, so will probably assume that I won't. I plan heavily; even my backup plans have backup plans! But, I never count on anything before it happens - I won't turn calendar pages over before that month, not even to look at the picture. It's like it's bad luck. As a side note, my mother did not have one single baby thing in the house until after I was born. She had it all delivered once I truly existed. She passed away some years ago, but I guess I come by it honestly.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #30
JenniBugInPink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
This is true, well the FP return time should never be over 15 minutes unless there was a problem with the ride.

That being said, while you can't completely avoid the huddled masses, you can minimize contact with them. Consider this, you are in line for 90 minutes in a tightly confined space with hundreds of other people or you are in line for 15 minutes with a hundred people in a tightly confined space.

Yes, you are still in a tightly confined space with other people, but odds are substantially more in your favor in the second case.

I honestly don't know where other people are getting that you shouldn't ask for a DAS. I honestly think that giving you an alternate place to wait (which is EXACTLY what the DAS is designed to do) would be essential for you.

My dad has leukemia and his white blood cell count is very low, at DLR they didn't even question it. The only thinking that took us extra time was that they were trying to figure out if there was anything extra they could do for him, as they realized that it was quite likely his last trip to the parks (we all hope that we are proven wrong on that one, but who knows?)

But they made point that this is exactly the kind of thing that this was designed to accommodate, so that he could have a safe place to wait and minimize close contact with others.

And it did work, he did avoid getting sick, which probably would not have happened without the DAS.
I'm glad things worked out well for your dad and he stayed well! I'm also glad that the CM were so accommodating. I think things are handled differently at DLR than they are at WDW. The volume alone at WDW makes it a problem for CM, so I do understand their hesitancy. It makes sense to me for me to have it, but even from reactions here on the DIS, I can tell that it isn't as clear to everyone as it seems to me, LOL!

I hope your dad is doing well right now, and that you have him for a long, long time. Where is that pixie dust emoticon when I need it? Oh here!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: